Evernote app on iPod touch: can't exit a note

All:

I clicked on a link within an existing EN note and I have been unable to exit this particular note and navigate to another screen. There is a Done button/link in the upper-left corner, but touching this button/link doesn't go back to a previous screen or allow me to exit the note.The app is "stuck" because of this one note.

Twice I have tried rebooting my device by going to

Settings > General > Reset Network Settings

but when I re-opened the EN app, it went directly to the aforementioned note. I have also tried powering down the device and then turning it on, and again, the EN app opens to this stubborn note.

Refreshing the note by touching the appropriate icon in the bottom bar doesn't rectify the problem. Nor does trying any of the numerous options available after touching the icon on the right side of the bottom bar--such options include sharing the note via iMessages, e-mail, Twitter, and Facebook, as well as copying, printing, saving to Evernote, adding to Reading List, and opening in Safari.

Any suggestions? 

Thanks in advance.

Evernote v. 7.2.1

iOS 7.0.4

iPod touch 5th generation

All:

I clicked on a link within an existing EN note and I have been unable to exit this particular note and navigate to another screen. There is a Done button/link in the upper-left corner, but touching this button/link doesn't go back to a previous screen or allow me to exit the note.The app is "stuck" because of this one note.

but when I re-opened the EN app, it went directly to the aforementioned note. I have also tried powering down the device and then turning it on, and again, the EN app opens to this stubborn note.

Refreshing the note by touching the appropriate icon in the bottom bar doesn't rectify the problem. Nor does trying any of the numerous options available after touching the icon on the right side of the bottom bar--such options include sharing the note via iMessages, e-mail, Twitter, and Facebook, as well as copying, printing, saving to Evernote, adding to Reading List, and opening in Safari.

Any suggestions? 

Thanks in advance.

Evernote v. 7.2.1

iOS 7.0.4

Resetting network connections is not rebooting the device. Reboot by holding down the power button for a while. A red ribbon will appear that you slide to power completely off. Then turn the device back on.

All:

Any suggestions? 

Thanks in advance.

Evernote v. 7.2.1

iOS 7.0.4

Resetting network connections is not rebooting the device. Reboot by holding down the power button for a while. A red ribbon will appear that you slide to power completely off. Then turn the device back on.

As my original post indicated, I have already tried turning the device off and then back on: "I have also tried powering down the device and then turning it on."

As my original post indicated, I have already tried turning the device off and then back on: "I have also tried powering down the device and then turning it on."

Turning the device off is not the same as a reboot. You also said you rebooted but the steps you mentioned are not a reboot.

Did you reboot by getting the red ribbon that you slide in order to power off...???

Turning the device off is not the same as a reboot. You also said you rebooted but the steps you mentioned are not a reboot.

Did you reboot by getting the red ribbon that you slide in order to power off...???

I'll try to be clearer this time around.

1. I had already tried the following before posting here on the forum: Going to Settings > General > Reset Network Settings, entering my passcode, waiting for the network settings to reset, entering my passcode, and re-opening the EN app to see whether I can exit the note--I have been unable to do so.

2. I had already tried the following before posting here on the forum: Holding down the On-off/Sleep-wake button, waiting for the red slider ribbon to appear, sliding it to power the device completely off, turning the device on again, and re-opening the EN app to see whether I can exit the note--I have been unable to do so.

I think I understand now what you meant by a reboot--thank you for that--so I've held down the On-off/Sleep-wake button at the same time as the Home button, waited for the screen to go black, and waited for the Apple logo to appear on the screen before entering my passcode. Unfortunately, the reboot did not rectify the problem after re-opening the EN app.

Was I on the right track by thinking that one or both of the two steps I took might correct the problem?

Additional edit: I realize you and I may be using terms like "reboot" to mean different things and I trust you are more likely right in your use of the terms. I find the variance in how terms are used to be confusing, and if the Apple site is any guide, sliding the red slider ribbon to the right and then turning the device on again seems to be known as a restart. Go figure. :-)

Try a reset instead 

1. Begin by holding the sleep/wake button at the top right of the device and the Home button at the bottom center of the face at the same time.
  2. Hold them both until you see the screen go black. In some cases, you may need to keep holding them even after the red power-off slider appears. If it appears, just keep holding it.
  3. Wait until the silver Apple logo appears.
  4. When this happens, you can let go - the iPhone is rebooting.

Edit :

Edited above.

Try deleting the app and download a fresh copy from Apple servers.

I know its a bit of a pain if you have a premium account and need to download a large amount for offline browsing.

Pcammall, normally, IME, when an app is stuck or acting funky, rebooting/resetting/turning-off-by-sliding-the-red-ribbon normally fixes things.  If that does not fix the issue, then AussieBob's suggestion of deleting & reinstalling the app is a good one.  Keep in mind that doing this will likely cause you to lose any unsync'd notes or changes made on the device to Evernote notes.  But it may be the only solution.  You could also try contacting Evernote support (this is a user's forum & the employees only occasionally or as time permits) via the link in my signature.

Good luck.

I can confirm that on Evernote 7.2.1 on iPhone 4 with iOS7, it is not possible to click "done" when I'm viewing a website.

Rebooting phone does not work.

Resetting phone does not work.

Evernote automatically opens up the website every time.  Disabling internet connection so website doesn't load also doesn't help.

Essentially 7.2.1 has bricked Evernote on my phone.

Happy to help with debugging if support want to contact me.

post-174250-0-28696800-1389242942_thumb.

BurgersNFries, aussiebob, Scott:

Thank you all for your replies.

I have submitted a ticket to EN Support. If instructed to delete the app and reinstall it, I will. Perhaps the problem Scott and I are each having is a bug with v.7.2.1?

Incidentally, my problem note is a clip of a webpage. The links on the captured webpage are operational.

Hope you resolve the issue.I wonder if clearing the cache in the settings will help.Its worth a try.

On older devices I also like to put them in aeroplane mode then wifi on.

Let us know the outcome.

I'm using iPhone 5 iOS 7.1 beta 3 and can't replicate the issue.

• 1 month later...

In doing some experimenting just now, I actually got this fixed, after many days and tries to get the Done button to respond (no idea if any one step is necessary):

1. Quit every running app (just "flipped up" each one until nothing was running in the BG)

2. Hard reset

3. Turned off wifi so Evernote couldn't go out and refresh the page

4. Started the EN app, and it just displayed nothing, since it couldn't refresh the page. Pressing the done button still doesn't work.

5. Quit EN app (by flipping up)

6. Started EN app again, displays nothing again, Done button still doesn't respond.

BUT, by doing steps 4 thru 6 three or four times more, in rapid succession, EN just gave up and returned me to the main menu.

Needless to say, after dealing with this for days, I was skeptical, but after turning wifi back on, going to some links, the Done button is working properly now, so that's all I know. It's the rapid succession of steps 4, 5, & 6 with wifi off that seemed to kick it outta its funk.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm stuck with the same issue too on my iPhone 5, which is incredibly frustrating.

The only way I managed to resolve this the first time was to delete the app and re-download it.

It's happened again now, but I'm loathe to delete it again, since I'll need to re-download my offline notes.

Hopefully a solution can be found soon.

Update: I managed to get out of that sticky situation by double pressing the home button and closing every single app in the list. Not sure if this will work for everybody, but that's what I did.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Level 5*

In the future, the fix is to open a PDF on your device from some other app, then use the "Open In" menu to open it in Evernote. This will force Evernote out of the browser.

Had the same problem this morning. Thanks for the pdf Open in EN workaround. Just going to see if there's an official response for the EN team. Happy to correspond with them on why it might have happened.

JohnP

Had the same problem this morning. Thanks for the pdf Open in EN workaround. Just going to see if there's an official response for the EN team. Happy to correspond with them on why it might have happened.

JohnP

The team is definitely aware based on beta discussions, though it is remarkable hard to reliably reproduce and this is making it difficult to pin down. Needless to say, they know the bug is there and they're hunting it down! Definitely any info you have in terms of reproducing would be of value to them, such as a note or attachment or page that you have that induces this issue. You could submit through the support page.
  • Level 5*

JohnP

The team is definitely aware based on beta discussions, though it is remarkable hard to reliably reproduce and this is making it difficult to pin down. Needless to say, they know the bug is there and they're hunting it down! Definitely any info you have in terms of reproducing would be of value to them, such as a note or attachment or page that you have that induces this issue. You could submit through the support page.

It would be nice if the app could just detect it had been killed or hadn't been used for x-hrs and return to the home screen instead of trying to remember where it was at. Or better yet, ditch the browser and just let it launch Safari or Chrome.

The PDF trick did not work for me - the documents were saved by evernote, but the interface remained stuck displaying the photos of another note. This on iPad. (Still waiting for a home screen that takes advantage of the whole display! Bring back the old iOS6 version!)

What did work for me is to delete the stuck note from my mobile. Then Evernote on the iPad closed the stuck note on the next startup. (It is so bloated that basically restarts every time you open it on the old iPad mini with the bloated iOS7 -- very slow switching between apps.)

The PDF trick did not work for me - the documents were saved by evernote, but the interface remained stuck displaying the photos of another note. This on iPad. (Still waiting for a home screen that takes advantage of the whole display! Bring back the old iOS6 version!)

What did work for me is to delete the stuck note from my mobile. Then Evernote on the iPad closed the stuck note on the next startup. (It is so bloated that basically restarts every time you open it on the old iPad mini with the bloated iOS7 -- very slow switching between apps.)

Remarkable hard to reproduce? I think not. Configure Zite on your iOS device and use it's save to Evernote functionality. Go to Evernote and open a saved article.

Repos for me every...single...time.

• Level 5*

Remarkable hard to reproduce? I think not. Configure Zite on your iOS device and use it's save to Evernote functionality. Go to Evernote and open a saved article.

Have you filed a ticket with that info? They have been looking for an easy way to repro to dig into this. 

Have you filed a ticket with that info? They have been looking for an easy way to repro to dig into this.

Yes.

Thanks for the tip re: opening a pdf in evernote. That was able to resolve the immediate issue and evernote is now back working.

I was having the same problem this morning, and yes I did submit a support ticket.

I'll just join the others in saying that I do hope this issue is resolved soon.

Closing every app on my iPhone 5 works and gets me out of the stuck note.  So it is obviously related to a memory leak or restriction of some sort?  Maybe a tie to the browser (used in the background to open the web cliping?).

Hope they fix it soon.

Thanks.

• Level 5*

Closing every app on my iPhone 5 works and gets me out of the stuck note.  So it is obviously related to a memory leak or restriction of some sort?  Maybe a tie to the browser (used in the background to open the web cliping?).

Hope they fix it soon.

Thanks.

I don't see how. Rebooting my iPhone doesn't fix it. Interesting closing apps worked for you.

Same exact issue on iPhone 5s most up to date iOS

Happened after I opened a multi page image in Evernote on my iPhone and then saved the image on my iPhone. Was unable to leave the image within the note (done button not working)

Force close and phone restarts did not help

Trying to have Evernote open PDF from Safari didn't work.

Other devices were able to access notes without issue

Reinstalling Evernote on my phone fixed it

Support let's get this fixed

Happened after I opened a multi page image in Evernote on my iPhone and then saved the image on my iPhone. Was unable to leave the image within the note (done button not working)

Thankfully Evernote staff are aware of this issue/these issues (May be more than one bug with similar symptoms?), so we know they're working to get it fixed. When? Who knows. Perhaps in the next public release, if they've been able to track down the bug before then.

Help!!!! I am trying to contact evernote for support but when i click on chat how, it takes me back to the beginning of describing my problem and won't engage in chat. I am DESPERATE for help. I need to access my evernotes for work but for the past hour i have not been able to close an image and get access to my notes. I have tried turning ipad off and on, i have tried hard reboot of ipad, i have tried opening a pdf file in evernote. Nothing gets ride of image. My evernotes are not syched with anything -- icloud doesn't synch, so i am afraid to reinstall. I can't afford to lose my notes. HELP!! I need this for work.

This suggestion came from Page 1 of this Thread.  Try the below.

In the future, the fix is to open a PDF on your device from some other app, then use the "Open In" menu to open it in Evernote. This will force Evernote out of the browser.

Another user from Page 1 of this Thread used the following method to fix the issue:

In doing some experimenting just now, I actually got this fixed, after many days and tries to get the Done button to respond (no idea if any one step is necessary):
1. Quit every running app (just "flipped up" each one until nothing was running in the BG)
2. Hard reset
4. Started the EN app, and it just displayed nothing, since it couldn't refresh the page. Pressing the done button still doesn't work.
6. Started EN app again, displays nothing again, Done button still doesn't respond.
BUT, by doing steps 4 thru 6 three or four times more, in rapid succession, EN just gave up and returned me to the main menu.

Needless to say, after dealing with this for days, I was skeptical, but after turning wifi back on, going to some links, the Done button is working properly now, so that's all I know. It's the rapid succession of steps 4, 5, & 6 with wifi off that seemed to kick it outta its funk.

Evernote is aware of this problem and I would imagine they are working on a fix.

Morning troops :)

My iPad Air is having no problems whatsoever with Evernote Premium.

However, my wife - also Evernote Premium - saves a lot of recipes, but only their URLs to sites such as Taste.com.au.  And she constantly gets the same problem as described by several above. However, what works for me when I fix it for her - every time - is just to double-click the Home button, flip up every app that's running including EN, then back to the Home page.  No need for all the palaver of rebooting or hard reset - it just seems to work.

I notice an update is out this morning for EN on iOS - wonder if they've fixed this little bugger?  I'll install it and let her have a play around with it for a while and see if it is still a bug or if they've fixed it.

Got this response to my open ticket this morning:

Thank you for contacting Evernote Support and for your patience while we are experiencing high ticket volumes. I apologize for the trouble you're having with your Evernote app. We have just released an app update today which addresses this bug (among other great improvements). Please update your app to the newest 7.4 version of Evernote for iOS and the problem should be resolved. Please let me know if that is not the case.

I've installed the update and so far so good.

Nightstalker! Nice to see you round these parts again.

Yup, this was fixed in the latest release of IOS, get it now to get around this incredibly aggravating bug. Apologies for the time it took to stamp out.

• 3 months later...

A variant of this error appears in 7.5.1 -- that is, I was not able to close a text-only note.

Restarting, etc., didn't work; I was able to start a new note with a pdf using "Open in" from another app. But after closing that note, the text-only note was still there.

What corrected it for me was removing the EN app and re-downloading it from the App Store.

Update: The problem re-appeared when I opened that particular file from 'snippet view' but not from 'card view'. This was true even after I used EN's 'Simplify Formatting'. (The problem did not appear with the handful of other files I tested.)

The problem disappeared completely after I updated to iOS 8.0.2.

• 2 months later...

I am having the same problem. I opened up EN on my iPad. I pushed close to try and exit the note that was open. No go. Still stuck. I did a hard reset on my iPad. But that didn't change anything. I am going to uninstall and reinstall the entire app. If this happened to me on a rural business trip to make a presentation, I would be dead in the water. I'll see how the reinstall goes.

• 4 weeks later...

Update: the problem recurs occasionally.

FWIW, "Duplicate" seems to work -- sort of. By that, I mean that it closes the original note. (I hadn't made any changes to that note -- which had previously been saved -- and so don't know if new changes would have saved.) And it does allow creation, editing, and syncing of other notes.

But the 'duplicate' is empty, and EN occasionally warns that it "Could not sync note -name of duplicate-. The content is invalid."

I will uninstall and re-install. Presumably that will stop those sync warnings.

The ticket I mentioned earlier was eventually escalated to the technical support team; no replies from them to-date; and, AFAICS, it remains without resolution.

• 2 weeks later...

2. Hard reset

Fantastic - this worked for me on about the 5th kill of Evernote app.  I forgot to turn off wifi, so maybe that's not necessary.  

Mine was on an iPad mini, IOS 8, Evernote Version 7.6.4 (upgraded 20-Jan-2015, but bug was present on previous version).  In my case, all 656 instances of 'kayak' in the note were highlighted in orange, probably because I had searched for all notes including 'kayak' and then opened this one.  In my case, it was the 'Close' button that wouldn't work, not 'Done'.

• 4 weeks later...

Further update:

Changes made to the note -do- (at least in the most recent occurrence for me) sync with the server -- even though the note can't be closed.

Changes made to the note on other devices do show on the 'stuck' iPad the next time EN is opened there.

DISCOVERED WORKAROUND:

Tapping '…', 'Move to Trash' does close the file; and the file shows properly in the Trash notebook on other devices.

On the iPad, after restoring the note from Trash, Close now works.

Edits to the file are properly saved and Close has continued to work.

So, apparently, one workaround is to Trash and Restore the note.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived