How to create a new tag in Evernote on iPad?

I think I've tried every possible button in the interface, but I can't find any way to create a new tag ( NOT add an existing tag to a note) in Evernote on the iPad. Also found no help in the knowledge base. Is there really no way to do this?!?

Under the title of the note, you'll see the name of the notebook the note is in and the word "more". Tap on "more". You'll see a line that has any tags you already have on that note and an the words "Add Tag". Type in the new tag. Tap in any other field. The new tag will be created. 

Best of luck. 

• 2 weeks later...

At least for me, the current implementation makes more sense as I have the Tags section hidden on the main screen. It also happens to be the way I add tags in any version of EN. Adding a tag where I pick tags just works for me. 

Best of luck. 

• 4 months later...

When I click on the notebook name, the word "more" is not displayed, nor is it there for me to see under the notebook name.   I see the tags currently on the note to the right of the notebook name in gray.  You can't click there.  So, this is not working for me... help!

When I click on the notebook name, the word "more" is not displayed, nor is it there for me to see under the notebook name.   I see the tags currently on the note to the right of the notebook name in gray.  You can't click there.  So, this is not working for me... help!

Are you using an iPad? Or an iPhone? On the iPhone, you have to click on the little "i" in the circle to the right of the name of the notebook that the note is in. 

Image-Note-created-in-Skitch.png

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem as described above. I am using an iPad 2 version 7.0.6 which I think is latest. I have just started being enthusiastic about using EN in my solo law practice, but I need to add tags to the notes I create so they can be searched under a client name. "More" does not appear as you originally suggested and when I hit the "i" icon , i do get "Note Details" window, but with a map of where I am and an add tag section which did not work til just now. The key was to hit "Return" on my keyboard r/t hit the add tag button again.

So, that is ok now but I seem to have created two additional copies of the Note I was trying to tag. How do I get rid of these copies & how do I delete one of the existing tags I added to the Note as a test. Very frustrating.

• 3 weeks later...

Has this been solved? I've tried all the above suggestions & still cannot add a new tag in iPad. Pretty ordinary really. Why as suggested above can this not be done in the edit option?

Please see post #6. It appears the iPad version now works similarly to the screen cap of the iPhone in that post.

• 1 month later...

[under the title of the note, you'll see the name of the notebook the note is in and the word "more". Tap on "more". You'll see a line that has any tags you already have on that note and an the words "Add Tag". Type in the new tag. Tap in any other field. The new tag will be created. - from Megsaint in Jan]

This is not true. The word "more" does NOT follow the name of the notebook, and "Add Tag" does NOT appear after existing tags. Unless I have a rogue version of Evernote on my iPad.

Not for me it doesn't. I just get a map showing my location & the option to use an existing tag

Please see post #10 and be sure you have the latest version of the app.

[under the title of the note, you'll see the name of the notebook the note is in and the word "more". Tap on "more". You'll see a line that has any tags you already have on that note and an the words "Add Tag". Type in the new tag. Tap in any other field. The new tag will be created. - from Megsaint in Jan]

This is not true. The word "more" does NOT follow the name of the notebook, and "Add Tag" does NOT appear after existing tags. Unless I have a rogue version of Evernote on my iPad.

Please read the thread through.  The answer to your question is in post #10.  And yes, if you have an older version (or an unauthorized one), then it may not be the same, in which case, you're on your own.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's how to add tag on iPad on the evernote app latest version 2014 October...

Once you find the "add tag" place in the (i) info button beside a note's name,

as described in the notes above,

the crucial and non-obvious step for creating a tag in ipad is

- - - you_ must_ press "Return" key on the keyboard after typing your new tag!

(It is tempting to press the (+) button but that just gets you into the "add existing tag" screen.)

• 2 months later...

Thank you so much! I thought I was going mad. I've used Evernote for many years now, and this is the first time I couldn't figure out how to create a new tag. I wish they'd either fix it or update the documentation.

• 4 months later...

(It is tempting to press the (+) button but that just gets you into the "add existing tag" screen.)

Actually, tapping "Return" isn't necessary. After typing the new tag, touch anywhere on the screen that is greyed out.

Evernote is smart enough to know that a new tag is to be created once the user touches the greyed out area.

• 2 months later...

Actually, tapping "Return" isn't necessary. After typing the new tag, touch anywhere on the screen that is greyed out.

Evernote is smart enough to know that a new tag is to be created once the user touches the greyed out area.

"Evernote is smart enought to ..." HA !!

Yeah, right. The fact that we had to have this thread is a testament to bad design and poor UI practices.

45 mins of my life I wish I could get back. Interesting that a productivity app should waste some much of their users' time. This is not the first time that I had to search and search evernote forums for a solution to a problem that should never have been there in the first place. Thanks to all for finding the "secret" to adding a new tag on the ipad.

• 1 month later...

Feeling the frustrations of this thread!

Have been a beta user of IQTell since inception but never incorporated EN.

Decided to start using EN after reading my latest MacLife, and to enhance my IQTell experience.

I have iPhone 5s, iPad 2, iPad mini, Apple Watch and MacBook Pro, plus a company issued Windows Laptop.

Time to start using this!

My Eureka moment on this tag "problem" was that I have to type the name of the new tag OVER the words "Add Tag".

I just did not comprehend this until acs42 posted the quote in message #14.   :huh: 

I feel really stupid now, but knowing I'm not, I am sure others have or will make this same mistake.

Thanks!  (Logically the place it is used is in the note itself, so I understand why it is not located in the tags screen...)

• 9 months later...

HOW TO CREATE A TAG ON EVERNOTE ON IPAD ?

✅ Create your new note.. 

Then, to the right of the Dialogue Box Click the i FOR INFO… 

Then, CLICK "Add tag"… 

Then, type in the new Tag name you wish.. 

Then, Tap the Return Key.  

NOTE: Do NOT click the '+' button as this will only take you to the existing list of Tags. ?

By tapping the RETURN Key, it now adds the new Tag to the existing Tag list ✅ 

WALLA!!! ??

Then, put on the Billy and make a brew.. You deserve a coffee :-D ☕️

• 1 month later...

But I want to set up a structure in Tags ; nesting, sub-nesting etc. Can I do this, or can I only create tags as I go, then separately have to go to desktop or iPad to shift the tags around??

• 8 months later...

I would classify this as more or less of a GUI bug.

on iOS, you need to repress Enter for a tag to be accepted. This is not the de-facto user adoption or standard expectation of such a GUI and the reason why so many have problems with this.

Please change this behavior so that a tag is automatically created when you type a new one that doesn't already exist.  Could of course be solved in many different ways to let the user know that this is the new tag.

I've been using Evernote for several years and this issue has come up for me several times because I have forgotten the "special way" to solve this in between times.

• 1 month later...

Unbelievable unintuitive! Evernote has been around way too long to not have made this a simpler procedure. Took me searching on the internet to find this topic and figure it out. Please add an easier option to add tags. Ridiculous!

Archived