Word-Count Feature Please!

Hi there, I'm a professional writer with a suggestion: Add a word-count feature. Simple, useful. Necessary for anyone who writes for a living. Right now I still have to  use MS Word and create my own folder and filing system to match the one I use for Evernote. For example, if I'm reporting a story about Bears, I have to save my drafts in Word on my desktop, and have a corresponding Bears notebook in Evernote. If Evernote had a wordcount function I'd store everything in Evernote. Google Docs, I think, has this function, but the Google Docs interface is clunky and no intuitive.

Evernote would gain a lot of writers by adding word count function, I think. Especially since it's easy to create local notebooks for people who don't want their stuff to live in the cloud.

This is the one thing that's stopping me from essentially using Evernote more than any other app besides my browsers and email.

Hope to see it soon.

PS - I am a premium member and am happy to pay for this function. 

• Level 5*

Hi there, I'm a professional writer with a suggestion: Add a word-count feature. Simple, useful. Necessary for anyone who writes for a living. Right now I still have to  use MS Word and create my own folder and filing system to match the one I use for Evernote. For example, if I'm reporting a story about Bears, I have to save my drafts in Word on my desktop, and have a corresponding Bears notebook in Evernote. If Evernote had a wordcount function I'd store everything in Evernote. Google Docs, I think, has this function, but the Google Docs interface is clunky and no intuitive.

Evernote would gain a lot of writers by adding word count function, I think. Especially since it's easy to create local notebooks for people who don't want their stuff to live in the cloud.

This is the one thing that's stopping me from essentially using Evernote more than any other app besides my browsers and email.

Hope to see it soon.

PS - I am a premium member and am happy to pay for this function.

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

Fortunately, the feature already exists, though it is (inexplicably) hidden. Press the "i" icon on the Mac. On Windows, I forget where it is, but if you click in the menu (View?) then you can have the app show you all of the information all the time, and this includes a note count.

• Level 5*

In Windows check the top menu bar for Note and scroll down to Word and Resource Count..

Thanks G. But, isn't there a toggle that will turn on the informational view so that the information is persistently displayed? I wish we had that on the Mac and iOS -- another reason to go and visit Best Buy to think about that Surface Pro tablet...

• Level 5*

So strange. I go tho the "i" icon and get a list of info -- title, location, date created, etc -- but no word count option

In the "size" area you should see a word count. You have to have words in it to see the words counted. Do you see it?

It would be nice to have this feature count the words in selected text. I am also a writer and create a note for each article. The note contains notes about the article, links to reference, etc. So, the only way to get a word count on the actual article is to put it in a separate note and paste in a link, or the way I do it, create a Word document and attach it to the note.

Just sent this to suggestion box. Feel free to copy, paste, and submit. Power in numbers!

OK, so I learned that I can do a wordcount. This is GREAT. But...that feature doesn't allow the user to get a word count of highlighted text. In other words, i can see how long my article is, but I can't see how long each section or chapter is. Most any writer need to know the length of certain passages, or, for example, the length of a subheadline. Right now, that's not possible. MS Word does this, but I'm trying to switch to Evernote b/c I like the interface and the sync option. Sure would love to see this small feature added. Thanks. 

• Level 5*

Just sent this to suggestion box. Feel free to copy, paste, and submit. Power in numbers!

OK, so I learned that I can do a wordcount. This is GREAT. But...that feature doesn't allow the user to get a word count of highlighted text. In other words, i can see how long my article is, but I can't see how long each section or chapter is. Most any writer need to know the length of certain passages, or, for example, the length of a subheadline. Right now, that's not possible. MS Word does this, but I'm trying to switch to Evernote b/c I like the interface and the sync option. Sure would love to see this small feature added. Thanks.

Could you tell us where you sent this? I am not familiar with any Evernote suggestion box. Thanks!

• Level 5*

One thing we've not mentioned yet - while you wait for Evernote to get around to this sort of feature,  you can always continue to work in Word (or any other software) and just attach the file to Evernote.  You can still work on the file wherever you are as long as the local device you're using can handle those types of file.  If you're not a Premium member you can cut and paste a rough text version of the content into the note or add some keywords for search purposes.  If you are Premium,  then Evernote will index Office files anyway.

• 1 year later...

Hi all... So I am on a mac.  I did the shift+command+i and yes, an info section does come down but no size/word count area!  Only the created, updated and author info.  Am I missing something? Where is this size area.  I really require to know my word count.  Thanks!!

If you're using a mac, Devontechnologies makes a small (and free) app called WordService which can give you character, word, and paragraph count, among other things --reformating, removing links, changing case, removing line endings, etc.

It can be accessed through the service menu in any app you happen to be using. It will give a count for whatever text is selected.

Very handy. 

Hi all... So I am on a mac.  I did the shift+command+i and yes, an info section does come down but no size/word count area!  Only the created, updated and author info.  Am I missing something? Where is this size area.  I really require to know my word count.  Thanks!!

To start I am not sure if this is a premium feature... Or also a free feature, so keep that in mind.

Make sure you are in a document with words in the body of text. Not a document with no words in the note... No word count will show up if there are no words in the body of the text.

Shift CmD i makes the "i" with the circle around it open when when you are in a note.... the "i' is next to the rubbish bin and share button. 

Incase your shortcuts are somewhat changed on your Mac for some weird reason..

You can also create this behaviour by clicking Note in menu bar... then clicking note info.

Also make sure you have the latest version of Evernote installed if you are still having trouble...

Archived