List Tags Via Uses

Hello folks,

One of the things I use Evernote for is to backup my blog. Each time I post I have IFTTT send the post to Evernote which saves it. However, it also saves all of the tags that the post has. At the end of each year I export all the blog posts into one HTML archive and back it up to my external HDD and then delete the posts from Evernote.

However, the tags associated with those posts are not removed and thus are still in my tag list with 0 uses indicated. I'd like to remove these tags but don't want to have to go through the entire tag list individually to delete them one by one. Is there a way - either on the desktop program or the on-line application - to organise the list of tags by the amount of times used so I could easily delete any tags with 0 uses? 

Thanks in advance.

• Level 5*

In Windows show the left panel (View > Left Panel > Show left panel) and make sure that tags are included in that list.  Click on the Tags heading - you'll get an alphabetical page of tags with the number of times each one has been used shown.  Scroll right for more tags.  Click on a heading for 'stacked' tags.  Delete as required...

Sorry, but the above doesn't help at all. What do you mean by "Click on a heading for 'stacked' tags"? Also, you didn't answer my original question; Is there a way to organise the list of tags by the amount of times used so I could easily delete any tags with 0 uses? 

• Level 5*

I don't know which client you are using, but there's no way that I know of to do this in the Windows client or the web client. Curiously, in the Android client, you *can* view the list of tags by number of notes, sorted down, but you cannot delete tags on the Android client.

• Level 5

So that would be the Mac client.

In the tag view, you can sort by Tag name or by Note Count.
In this example, that's as a convenience to put all the 0's together, so you can multiple select and delete in one fell swoop.

Here, I've clicked "Note Count" in the upper center.

And the Tag stack zTest in the center, shows Tag5 at the top because it has a note.  In Windows it will be at the bottom based on alpha sort.

Evernote%20Camera%20Roll%2020140108%2010

Windows:

You can still multi-select, but you'll obviously need to hold control and click all over the place finding your zero count tags.

ScreenClip.png?resizeSmall&width=832

On iphone/ipad you can sort by count.  But it doesn't actually show the count, just a gradation of color and you assume that the faintest ones at the bottom are zero counts.  I dont think you can multi-select (but could in the previous gen ios client?), and you can delete tags but one at a time.

(note: You'll mostly likely need to be logged into the forum to see the inline images)

• Level 5*

Sorry, but the above doesn't help at all. What do you mean by "Click on a heading for 'stacked' tags"? Also, you didn't answer my original question; Is there a way to organise the list of tags by the amount of times used so I could easily delete any tags with 0 uses? 

With a little experimentation you may be able to figure something out.

In Windows desktop,  click on the tags heading in the left-hand column.  You get screenfuls of tags in little boxes followed by numbers (15) which are the number of notes related to that tag.  Some boxes have a > next to them,  which indicate they're a stack.  

post-63053-0-80645100-1389225535_thumb.j

Click that tag name and you get an expanded view with all the child tags and their dependant note numbers.

post-63053-0-53907300-1389225546_thumb.j

Parent tag names ("Headers") may show (0) notes or no number at all,  because they only contain tags.

Ordinary tags,  or child tags with a (0) can safely be deleted.

You can't do much with the actual content of the page (yet?) but it's not exactly hard to scroll through and kill any unused tags.

• Level 5

Uggg, "! passwords" Gazumped?  :ph34r:

[insert obligatory: "Lastpass et al not only securely store these but generate and type them for your too"]

• Level 5

As you were...

I presume you need to unencrypt and then re-encrypt them but after todays update, it seems you finally have AES128 (256 might have been nice having made the effort that far, but hey, I'll take that as a functional starting point)

Evernote for Windows 5.1.1.2304 RC Release Notes

• Improvements:

• Note Encryption uses AES-128

Archived