(Archived) Backup with enex-files: Recommended method?

evernote-fan

I know there are a lot of threads about how to make a local backup of EN.

I regularly backup the folders with the EN databases inside.

In this thread the EN support shows how to import the data back to EN. They recommend to create an enex-file even if you have backuped the EN databases.

But AFAIK, enex-files do not contain information about notebooks. So this information is not restored.

Isn't it possible just to restore the database files and then let EN sync to the servers?

What about notes that are already on the servers? Are they re-uploaded?

Thanks!

I know there are a lot of threads about how to make a local backup of EN.

I regularly backup the folders with the EN databases inside.

In this thread the EN support shows how to import the data back to EN. They recommend to create an enex-file even if you have backuped the EN databases.

But AFAIK, enex-files do not contain information about notebooks. So this information is not restored.

Isn't it possible just to restore the database files and then let EN sync to the servers?

What about notes that are already on the servers? Are they re-uploaded?

Thanks!

The only file you need is the exb file.  It's correct exporting to enex does not retain notebook info but there are workarounds that have been mentioned in the existing threads (hint: tags or individual enex files - please search the board if you need more info).  Yes, you can simply restore from an exb file.  I suspect the reason the KB adds an export to enex is a CYA tactic...  I do not use enex files unless I'm moving a note from one account to another. 

Having said all that, there is no "one size fits all" method of restoring. It depends upon what you need to restore, why you need to restore & what has happened since the last backup. That's the way restoring data has been in the 35+ years I've been in IT.  So, FWIW IMO, the best thing to do is simply backup your exb file.  I tend to keep a few of them & append the date it was made to the file name in YYYYMMDD format.

• Level 5*

You can also export to ENEX format on a notebook-by-notebook basis -- use the notebook's name as the name of the export file. In the UI, that's a pain, but using the auxiliary ENScript command line tool, you can, with a bit of work, automate the process:

The ENScript listNotebooks command can be used to produce a list of notebooks in your account. Given a notebook name, you can then use the ENScript exportNotes command to export a notebook to a specified filename. For example: 

ENScript exportnotes /q notebook:MyNotebook -f MyNotebook.enex

You should note that ENEX files can be quite large, as they contain a textual representation of your note contents, even binary data like attachments.

Archived