(Archived) Preserving dates when merging notes

agc

When merging 2 notes the created & updated dates do not appear in the 2 parts of the new note. Can this be fixed? Its handy to know the dates of bits of knowledge captured in Evernote, even when merged.

• Level 5*

Hi - I don't think that's a 'fix' - nothing's actually broken;  merge works the way it's currently designed to.  That's a feature request.  Not sure if it would be adopted though - 'merge' means your notes get the overall properties of the lead note, which is kind've logical.  And you can add date/ time stamps to the content;  or 'merge' them by creating a new note with links to both sub notes;  or just tag the notes to connect them together...

• Level 5

Gaz offered some good suggestions - date stamp content in each note, or a master note with links

Another suggestion

A common Evernote practice is to start the title the date code yyyymmdd followed by the actual title.

When two notes are merged, the titles are retained which allows the user to know the individual dates of bits of knowledge.

hi,

thanks for rapid comments back, but....

the date stamps on the original notes are part of the notes so why does the information get lost, (I realise that the new note will have its own date stamps),

also the date stamps are automated, so its a workaround if the user has to remember to put the date into the title.

ho hum

• Level 5

hi,

thanks for rapid comments back, but....

the date stamps on the original notes are part of the notes so why does the information get lost, (I realise that the new note will have its own date stamps),

also the date stamps are automated, so its a workaround if the user has to remember to put the date into the title.

ho hum

Yes, you are correct these suggestions are work arounds. They do work and they work today.

Why doesn't Evernote retain the individual note date information in a merged note?

I'm not a computer coder, but my guess is it could get very ugly when one merges 5 to 10 notes together.

There would have to be new fields for all of those dates for the 10 merged notes.

And there is the other more obvious reason - is there a large enough market demand for that type of information?

Archived