Ultimate way to get handwritten notes into evernote.

Hi everyone, ive been using evernote for quite awhile now. One of the things i've always wanted is to be able to get to be able to handwrite notes into evernote. I tried a stylus with my ipad (Wacom Bamboo Stylus). To be honest with you it was to clunky and i wasn't happy with the experience. I tried to use it in meetings at work and i was just want to slow trying to write accurate notes with it (though i did try). To be honest with you i almost bought a surface pro 2 just for the digitizer but at the end spending that much money just so i could have something i could write with seemed like a waist of money. I found an interesting system with livescribe 3 & IOS. Seemed like an awesome system though kind of pricey and the reviews on amazon are just so so. Of course there is always either scanning your handwritten notes or using your camera phone which just seems like a hassle. Any feedback or advice would be appreciated.

• Level 5*

Hi everyone, ive been using evernote for quite awhile now. One of the things i've always wanted is to be able to get to be able to handwrite notes into evernote. I tried a stylus with my ipad (Wacom Bamboo Stylus). To be honest with you it was to clunky and i wasn't happy with the experience. I tried to use it in meetings at work and i was just want to slow trying to write accurate notes with it (though i did try). To be honest with you i almost bought a surface pro 2 just for the digitizer but at the end spending that much money just so i could have something i could write with seemed like a waist of money. I found an interesting system with livescribe 3 & IOS. Seemed like an awesome system though kind of pricey and the reviews on amazon are just so so. Of course there is always either scanning your handwritten notes or using your camera phone which just seems like a hassle. Any feedback or advice would be appreciated.

Hi. The Moleskine option is pretty easy. I've written about that.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=876

I also like using the tablet, though I recommend the Jot Script (as you'll see, I am also not a big fan of the Wacom).

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=1400

Livescribe enthusiasts abound, and I am surprised to hear that you haven't read good stuff about it. I suppose it all depends on the use case. Personally, I tend to use both the Moleskine and tablet. If you are looking for the least hassle, it is kind of difficult to beat Penultimate + the Jot Script. The notes are synced directly into your account and the stylus is a pleasure to use.

• Level 5*

I'm old school (= lazy and mean) so I just use a phone camera to capture handwritten notes after the fact.  I prefer A4 size pads if I'm in an office setting - usually squared paper,  though if you're doing a lot of handwritten notes it's better to use dotted sheets for OCR.  Using an A4 or A5 ring-binder is a lot more wear-proof than your usual spiral-bound notebook.  I also have Moleskine.

Phone cameras also do well in capturing wall-boards,  flip charts and other illustrations...

If I'm involved with larger/ longer meetings or training sessions the hassle-factor is minimised for me in that I can dump a sheaf of paper into my ScanSnap S1500 and scan it through in seconds.

I do a lot of personal journaling and have several handwritten journals I'm thinking of putting into Evernote.  Is it better to scan them in or just take photos of the pages?  Is there an advantage of one other the other (scanned image vs. photo)?

• Level 5*

I do a lot of personal journaling and have several handwritten journals I'm thinking of putting into Evernote.  Is it better to scan them in or just take photos of the pages?  Is there an advantage of one other the other (scanned image vs. photo)?

Hi. Welcome to the forums. You win either way. See my post above for links to advice.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/51216-ultimate-way-to-get-handwritten-notes-into-evernote/?p=252765

If you scan them be sure to scan as images, not PDFs. The indexing of images is better for handwriting. Please search the hoard for more into on the topic, if you're interested.

• 7 months later...

Hello! 

How do you put a handwritten note into Evernote so that it actually recognizes the handwriting and becomes searchable

I've searched around the forums and can't seem to find the answer/directions on how to do this.

Thanks!

• Level 5*

Hello! 

How do you put a handwritten note into Evernote so that it actually recognizes the handwriting and becomes searchable

I've searched around the forums and can't seem to find the answer/directions on how to do this.

Thanks!

Photograph or scan the page to JPG and attach it to a note.  Wait a few hours.  Make sure you use lightly lined or squared paper so the handwriting is very easy to read.  Don't expect absolute accuracy - I can't read my handwriting so I'm not surprised that Evernote's OCR has occasional problems...

Hello! 

Thanks!

Photograph or scan the page to JPG and attach it to a note.  Wait a few hours.  Make sure you use lightly lined or squared paper so the handwriting is very easy to read.  Don't expect absolute accuracy - I can't read my handwriting so I'm not surprised that Evernote's OCR has occasional problems...

Waiting a few hours in this day & age is not really acceptable. I know EN needs that time between receiving the uploaded info & doing an OCR on it, but if waiting for hours is unacceptable, why not try a 3rd party OCR app? I am an avid EN user myself but really appreciate the speed & accuracy of OneNote's OCR capability.

• Level 5*

My bad - I'm wary of people saying "you said this would be done in an hour or less" when it takes 65 minutes to OCR something.  It does happen quite quickly sometimes - but it is also dependent on the load on the servers at any one time,  and you may have to wait.  I don't think anyone thought it was a crash priority - even my brain can remember what I wrote and where I put it for several hours after the event.  OCR of handwritten notes is surely for review and study weeks or months after the event,  so what's the hurry?

However; as we may have said a couple of times in the forums - if you can find a better solution for your needs...

It might help Evernote revue this as a feature request if you have a use case to go with it?

The other thing to look at is the Samsung Note line. I have the Note 8 which is half sized tablet. It comes with a small pen that converts your handwriting to text. I've been using it for about six months and it works great. It pops up automatically as the keyboard in Evernote in my Note 8. They make a full sized tablet and phablets (really large phones) in the Note line. 

• 1 year later...

Oh do stop bragging, Gaz. ;)

My bad - I'm wary of people saying "you said this would be done in an hour or less" when it takes 65 minutes to OCR something. It does happen quite quickly sometimes - but it is also dependent on the load on the servers at any one time, and you may have to wait. I don't think anyone thought it was a crash priority - even my brain can remember what I wrote and where I put it for several hours after the event. OCR of handwritten notes is surely for review and study weeks or months after the event, so what's the hurry?

However; as we may have said a couple of times in the forums - if you can find a better solution for your needs...

It might help Evernote revue this as a feature request if you have a use case to go with it?

@Wordsgood is referring to the old you. Well... you are probably still physically six sevenths what you were this time last year (because supposedly all of our cells are replaced every 7 years)... but I'm sure you are a significantly better man after the developments of the last 12 months on a tech level... so whatever you were bragging about (if it were in fact so) is probably obsolete by now  :lol:

• Level 5*

You aren't helping,  OK?  ;)   - I'm sure I do have lots to brag about.  There's ear-waggling for one;  but I just wasn't sure which of my many (many) talents I might have over-expoused on that precise occasion...

• 2 months later...

Mr. Gazumped, et al:

Just to clarify: I think the question here, is that some people are looking for full OCR conversion to text, by which is meant the ability to be able to actually have the handwritten notes converted to ascii text, so for example, one could cut and paste the text to / from other applications, otherwise edit it, and/or search for it in a "Find" (Ctrl-F bottom of the note search window) searching the actual text within the note itself.

This as opposed to the system you are describing which is what Evernote advertises, is to capture an image of handwritten notes which one can search in the "top search box" (which searches ALL notes) on the Evernote application screen, which doesn't allow direct manipulation (cut/paste of text, editing of the text, in-note search) of the text in the image.

I gather some of these high-tech pens described in this thread create actual full text OCR conversion, not sure how else one would get this functionality from Evernote, but speaking for myself, I don't see a lot of use for the "make notes on paper with Evernote" paradigm. It is useful as an accessory, but for the overwhelming majority of serious work, I need actual text I can work with as text on my PC (and other devices), cutting, pasting, editing, & etc.

• Level 5*

Well,  if you need handwriting converted to text,  you're using the wrong software - at least at present.  AFAIK Evernote have ever commented on handwriting to text so it's totally unknown whether or when they might get into that. 

Someone did post in the forums (possibly up here) that they used Onenote for the conversion,  then imported the ON note into Evernote,  and I guess there may be other software out there (with or without pens) that will allow variations on the theme.  My personal view is that if you have a particular task to accomplish,  you find the right mixture of hard and software tools to do the job,  and then you get on with it. 

I also have some 'early' handwritten notes in Evernote,  but I find the mark #1 eyeball is a lot quicker to search with when I want to find something,  and if I need to quote it,  typing the text out again is probably a lot quicker than trying to edit the typos created by my best drunken spider crawl handwriting.  Plus my notes are generally just that - abbreviations,  emojis and all - getting them as 'proper' text isn't going to help much...

I have been struggling for hours, days, weeks, months, years, to find a straight answer.

I have 1,000's of handwritten notes for years and years, that I need to search from time to time for information.

It is a tedious, laborous task, for which I have been Googling, searching and connot find the answer.

Evernote support via a voice communication does not exist, and accessing their web pages jumps from French to German to English, and is of no help.

Others discuss Microsoft OneNote, some Evernote.

I understand that it is not a perfect solution (OCR handwriting), but given the need, I see no actual development.

So, real simple, how do I get my handwritten notes to become searchable, and still not have to upload to a cloud, have my personal data circumvented, and keep it all local?

Anyone?

• Level 5*

I have been struggling for hours, days, weeks, months, years, to find a straight answer.

I have 1,000's of handwritten notes for years and years, that I need to search from time to time for information.

It is a tedious, laborous task, for which I have been Googling, searching and connot find the answer.

Evernote support via a voice communication does not exist, and accessing their web pages jumps from French to German to English, and is of no help.

Others discuss Microsoft OneNote, some Evernote.

I understand that it is not a perfect solution (OCR handwriting), but given the need, I see no actual development.

So, real simple, how do I get my handwritten notes to become searchable, and still not have to upload to a cloud, have my personal data circumvented, and keep it all local?

Anyone?

no cloud? evernote probably isn't a great solution for you.

ocr for handwriting? you would have to upload them as images to evernote, which is one of the best services i know of for handwriting.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=876

no cloud and ocr? devonthink (mac only) is a possibility. personally, i use adobe acrobat pro for ocr + devonthink, but devonthink's ocr will probably produce something equivalent. i haven't tried (it didn't used to work with japanese or chinese). adobe isn't great with my handwriting, but it sometimes catches things.

a partial solution i use is to do a weekly review of my notes in plain text trying to include the keywords from that week's notes (linked, of course). this approach (adobe + ocr + plain text) might allow you to use evernote locally.

• 3 months later...
On 2014. gada 5. augusts at 2:52 AM, gazumped said:

Hi, I tried everything on all my devices (IOS phone, ipad, mac), but it cannot find any handwritten text. I have wrote on ipad in penultimate with Evernote stylus quite a lot of notes. I look into the note and I can clearly see that it should find it "private", "CL" for example. The search box is just above the text. You can see that it is there, but it does not search. Not Evernote and not Penultimate. The search in both of them do not work at all. The notes sync automatically. Cannot find any solution to the problem. I have the Premium account. Can you suggest anything please?

Archived