Speed issues

cayley

Am I the only one finding Evernote 5 irritatingly slow to respond? I do not have a huge set of notes - only 548, with no images - but when I open a note it takes typically 7 to 10 seconds for the note to appear on my PC. This is getting extremely irritating. It is also slower now on my iPad than it used to be. I love Evernote's cross-platform support and syncing, but am getting tempted to explore other options.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  OK - support ticket then I guess (see below).  I'm afraid the guys don't work weekends so you should get a prompt acknowledgement but it'll take a few days to get any action.

One thing you could try on the PC - copy your database to somewhere else on the machine and delete the current file.  This will force the server to rebuild it.  Also may take a little while,  but could cure the issue if you have a database-related problem.

• Level 5*

You mentioned PC so I'm guessing this is a Windows issue - which version are you tho;  XP / 7 / 8 Touch / 8 Desktop?

Is anything else on your PC running slowly?  There are any number of Windows clean-ups around that may help..  I tend to use http://www.glarysoft.com/glary-utilities/ but watch the install options carefully - a lot of set-up processes for downloaded software try to get you to install other stuff too,  and I seem to remember that this one had a search bar you probably don't want.

Have a look for possible malware too - whether or not you have something installed already - with http://www.emsisoft.com/en/

Let us know how your support query goes..

:)

• Level 5

It was a night and day difference to me.

As soon as I upgraded from 4.7 to 5 on December 1, there was a noticeable slowdown.

I let it run all night for the upgrade re-indexing. Same sluggishness the next day.

And now a month later, it still hesitates(and even hangs) when accessing Evernote hotkeys.

Especially the feature I used constantly in the past: "Find in Evernote" (Win+Shift+F)

• 5 months later...

I went up to V5 when it came out, from v 4.6.7 (win 7 platform). with about 2000 notes at the time, v5 was immediately much slower. I removed v5 and reinstalled v4.6.7 and that made it quick once again. I'm on v4.6.7 still, and every now and then I check out the blog to see news that "EN v5 is now as quick as v4 was!!" ... sadly still waiting. I LOVE EN... I have many folks at work using it now, and I tell them all that it is the single best piece of software I have ever used. I sure do hope they (EN developers) fix the speed problem and / or keep v4.6.7 stable. (IMHO - instead of finding fancy backpacks to sell... focus on the product)

• Level 5*

The current V5 has some slow spots, but hasn't seemed onerous to me (I have a couple of accounts with shares back and forth and about 5000 notes between them). V4.6.7 will stay stable because as far as I know, they're not developing on it any more. I think that they do try to retain backwards compatibility with respect to syncing, but I don't know how far back.

Re focus: do you really think that the developers are much (if at all) involved in the marketing of backpacks and other stuff in the Evernote store? That's a separate enterprise.

• Level 5*

The current V5 has some slow spots, but hasn't seemed onerous to me (I have a couple of accounts with shares back and forth and about 5000 notes between them). V4.6.7 will stay stable because as far as I know, they're not developing on it any more. I think that they do try to retain backwards compatibility with respect to syncing, but I don't know how far back.

Re focus: do you really think that the developers are much (if at all) involved in the marketing of backpacks and other stuff in the Evernote store? That's a separate enterprise.

I think onerous is a function of note count.  I primarily structure things using tags, not notebooks.  Of the notebooks I have, only one is "large", 15k notes.  The time lag difference in a search of the 15k note notebook vs a 3k note notebook is a good 5 seconds, and that can be a pain.  Wasn't so before V5.  Another interesting thing I've observed is that shortcut of a tag which returns 2k notes is faster than a shortcut to a single note.  By faster I mean screen display.  Would be interesting to know how that could be.  Counter intuitive on a good day.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Just upgraded to the new public 4187.  Speed issues for searches have all been addressed as far as I can tell.  All of the lags that I had before, including the most recent beta, are gone.  No lag at all even when doing an all notes search.  Only been 15 minutes of testing or so, but excellent  performance.  Thanks EN.

Archived