Tmo

Windows Shortcuts to change font color

Idea

It would be great to have shortcuts (or to make it configurable) to change font color to specific usable color, lets have 4:

black

green

red

blud

Colors can greatly enhance the clarity and communicative power of a note, but changing colors with dialogs is too slow - especially when you take notes during a meeting.

So:

Ctrl + Shift + B - color to black

Ctrl + Shift + R - color to red

Ctrl + Shift + G - color to green

Ctrl + Shift + U - color to blue

Whadya say?

• Like 4

17 replies to this idea

Bump this. And don't just implement it on Windows, it's not like users of other platforms hate colors.

The user experience using the default color picker on osx is just terrible. You can do better than that!

Good suggestion - nice to have the ability to flag anything in the left pane with appropriate font formatting...

Big up for that. Using color is a very effective way of visually categorizing text.

If you feel strongly about an issue -

Evernote brought in a new system at the start of 2016 - Feedback Counters.  Start a new topic on the feedback pages,  and you can get others to register their interest (or otherwise) in the issue.  The more clicks the (presumably) more likely Evernote are to give that feature more weight in any development plans.

If someone can create a new topic in one (or more) of the feedback forums where up voting exists and post the link here,  anyone who's interested can express their support in a meanigful way by clicking the counter.

Windows   https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/224-windows-desktop-product-feedback/

Mac   https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/218-mac-product-feedback/

Web   https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/234-web-beta-product-feedback/

General Feedback - that's coming we're told...

On 1/2/2014 at 4:40 AM, Tmo said:

It would be great to have shortcuts (or to make it configurable) to change font color to specific usable color, lets have 4:

Colors can greatly enhance the clarity and communicative power of a note, but changing colors with dialogs is too slow - especially when you take notes during a meeting.

Ctrl + Shift + B - color to black
Ctrl + Shift + R - color to red
Ctrl + Shift + G - color to green
Ctrl + Shift + U - color to blue

I definitely agree that we need a much better color picker on all platforms.

Rather than have just 4 hard-coded shortcut keys, I suggest both a menu and user-assignable shortcuts for a broader range of colors.
Having the colors in the menu makes them easily accessible to both the user and to keyboard macro utilities like 

Windows users can use the ALT menu keys, and Mac users can assign shortcuts via the System > Preferences > Keyboard prefs.

Here's a great example from Outlook 2011 Mac:

Outlook-Mac-Color-Panel.png.b85421ea3028daa3a05c84735beae998.png

• Thanks 1

On 2-3-2016 at 2:33 PM, Frank.dg said:

In the meantime:

This thread is almost 3 years old... stil Evernote hasn't implemented it, same with other heavily requested features. They keep raising prices and cutting back on basic user's features. I hate to say it, but seems like they don't care about their users. People are trying out other alternatives and maybe I will do the same. Evernote was/is popular for it's easy accessibility, cross-platform, easy to use interfase, ...

But if they cared about their users they've would've made it a lot better, and I think it still can be.

Now you guys might say, this is a little off topic and I hate to say it but it's the same in most other threads as well, they just don't care.

I sympathize with the issue,  but let's not get bent out of shape here.  Evernote have thousands of user feature requests listed,  and - judging by the other main threads on this forum - thousands of bugs to fix in a dozen different OS's on hundreds of different devices. 

They aren't short of cash,  or intention,  but they have to prioritize - hence the voting buttons on some threads like this,  which are meant to give some indication of what should be their next target. 

Plus.  They're maintaining multiple apps on multiple OS's and dealing with third-party updates to both hardware and software on schedules outside their control.  The company has to run pretty hard just to stay in the same place.  On top of which I'm getting their updates every month or two which add a little bit here,  and a little bit there...

If you like most of what Evernote does,  then I'd suggest you stick with it;  your requested-feature-of-choice will come around eventually.  If you really really need that particular bell or whistle...  you wouldn't be reading an Evernote forum,  you would have migrated already to some software that gives you what you want.  Because if Evernote started developing your feature now - you might get it in a year or two if you're lucky. 

And if you can wait that long,  it wasn't that important now,  was it?

Moved to a voting forum, common to all Evernote clients. Vote, y'all...

• Like 1

在 2016/12/15 在 AM8點47分, gazumped說:

Evernote have thousands of user feature requests listed,  and - judging by the other main threads on this forum - thousands of bugs to fix in a dozen different OS's on hundreds of different devices. 

It's hardly a good argument that a big company like Evernote offers a product to its customers with thousands of bugs. They asked money for their service, they have to do better. Talking about prioritization, they should prioritize to bring more tech staff in if they have thousands of bugs ahead of them, instead of all the promotion and sales people!

And it's quite unfair to complain about complaints when all we can do is complain. Upvote for feature requests or bug fixes? I've been waiting for the same bug fix (PDF annotation with Preview on Mac) for over a year so really not counting on that.

On 30/07/2017 at 3:44 AM, oliblue said:

It's hardly a good argument that a big company like Evernote offers a product to its customers with thousands of bugs.

Didn't say they were actual bugs,  just that they get complaints.

On 15/12/2016 at 0:47 AM, gazumped said:

judging by the other main threads on this forum - thousands of bugs

On 30/07/2017 at 3:44 AM, oliblue said:

it's quite unfair to complain about complaints

Who complained about complaints? 

On 15/12/2016 at 0:47 AM, gazumped said:

I sympathize with the issue

Just pointing out that Evernote stick to their own timetable (which they don't share).  There are threads on this forum that have run for some years without a resolution yet.  Some things are easy to fix,  assuming you have the will to do so.  Others take time.  One Evernote project to rewrite the editor software so bullets look the same on all devices and OS's has been running for years - and it's still going.  Font colors seem likely to be mixed in with that,  which might explain the delays.

On 7/29/2017 at 10:44 PM, oliblue said:

It's hardly a good argument that a big company like Evernote offers a product to its customers with thousands of bugs.

You don't know much about software development, do you?

• Like 1

在 8/3/2017 在 PM10點37分, jefito說:

You don't know much about software development, do you?

No I don't. I thought that's what I paid Evernote for. So what's your point?

On 3/2/2016 at 7:08 AM, JMichaelTX said:

I definitely agree that we need a much better color picker on all platforms.

Rather than have just 4 hard-coded shortcut keys, I suggest both a menu and user-assignable shortcuts for a broader range of colors.
Having the colors in the menu makes them easily accessible to both the user and to keyboard macro utilities like 

Windows users can use the ALT menu keys, and Mac users can assign shortcuts via the System > Preferences > Keyboard prefs.

Here's a great example from Outlook 2011 Mac:

Outlook-Mac-Color-Panel.png

Great to find this solution. I define and create my own AutoHotkey script and hope it helps. I know changing color by clicking is a PITA.

It can be downloaded from github here:

https://github.com/jeankueo/autohotkey

• Like 1