Evernote Encryption No Longer Working

timbreese

Idea

11 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Encryption of texts no longer works either on my IOS device or on my computer. Right clicking and selecting or choosing from the menu both do not work.

I do not have a premium account.

Hi. iOS cannot encrypt. It can only decrypt. As for the Mac, I just tried it and had no problem, so it doesn't appear to be a bug in the software (at least, for me). Could you provide us more details about what you are trying to do and the Evernote version number on your Mac? Thanks.

I have the same problem. I have Version 5.4.4 (402282) and am running Mac OSX 10.9.1. I am a premium user. If I select text and choose 'encrypt selected text', nothing happens. In the past, I would be prompted to enter the encryption password and the text would then be encrypted. This no longer works at all. Very frustrating!

• Level 5*

I have the same problem. I have Version 5.4.4 (402282) and am running Mac OSX 10.9.1. I am a premium user. If I select text and choose 'encrypt selected text', nothing happens. In the past, I would be prompted to enter the encryption password and the text would then be encrypted. This no longer works at all. Very frustrating!

I don't know about 5.4.4, but if you are using the direct download (highly recommended), you can download 5.5 beta 4. I know that it works here. Here are directions from switching from the appstore version to the new beta, if you need them.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=135

I don't know about 5.4.4, but if you are using the direct download (highly recommended), you can download 5.5 beta 4. I know that it works here. Here are directions from switching from the appstore version to the new beta, if you need them.

Thanks very much - the direct download doesn't have this bug and I can now encrypt text!

• Level 5*

Thanks very much - the direct download doesn't have this bug and I can now encrypt text!

Glad to hear that it is working again for you, and thanks for reporting the bug.

I'm still using 5.0.7 on OS 10.6.8 and it worked fine till today when I clicked on an encrypted note and it just opened without me entering p/w.

As soon at I clicked out of it it closed as it should, but again could be re-opened with a single click and no p/w.

Cheers, Colin

Replying to my own post in desperation: I've downloaded a new copy and it's just the same as above. The only way to fix it is to quit the app, switching to another note or closing the window simply makes it look encrypted, but clicking on the  'Encrypted content' bar just reopens it.

• Level 5

On my Mac and on windows there's a checkbox when you enter your password that says. "remember passphrase until I quit evernote".

Do you, and is it checked?  When that's the case it's working as designed.

I have updated both mac and PC today and the behavior is working as expected.

If you're not checking that box, maybe you should, try first checking it, then exit Evernote and relaunch, and then try again without checking it, and see if you can unstick the setting.

Thanks for that: I feel an idiot.

I had previously tried checking that box, but decided it was too insecure [as an aside given how long Evernote takes to load on my Mac I never quit it, so "Remember passphrase until I close window" would be better], but I can't remember where that check box was and either I am going blind or it has totally vanished from my Evernote despite having downloaded the latest copy.

• Level 5

The odd thing there is upgrading would have closed the previous version, counting as "quitting evernote".

The checkbox only appears in the prompt window for the password to decrypt the note.

So you're not blind, until you quit and relaunch Evernote, you won't see the dialog with that checkbox any more.

Thanks again.

I must be blind as I did quit once to see if it fixed it.

I have no idea why I checked the box three days back when I knew not to.

Still think the action should be changed to "Remember passphrase until I close window".

Thanks again, Colin

Archived