(Archived) oops... accidentally scanned note into shared notebook... can't delete

I had "Evernote 5 Help" notebook open from last night (which is owned by spgscott) and scanned in my hand-written window measurements.  I noticed it was in the wrong notebook when I wasn't allowed to enter a title.  Someone is going to be pretty confused when they open Scott's help guide and see this... I can't delete it obviously... I'll contact Scott to let him know and luckily it wasn't a list of my passwords or other personal information, BUT...

• How come it doesn't always scan into my .Inbox notebook which is designated the default notebook?
  • How is it I can scan something into a notebook owned by someone else and then not be able to delete my own note?
  • How can I set up either Evernote or my Scansnap iX500 to ALWAYS scan into my Inbox notebook?
  • If a notebook is shared, is there a monitoring function whereby the "owner" gets to approve or deny a note originating from someone else before it is incorporated into his/her notebook (similar to how one can set up a forum or BBS)?

TIA

• Level 5*

I had "Evernote 5 Help" notebook open from last night (which is owned by spgscott) and scanned in my hand-written window measurements.  I noticed it was in the wrong notebook when I wasn't allowed to enter a title.  Someone is going to be pretty confused when they open Scott's help guide and see this... I can't delete it obviously... I'll contact Scott to let him know and luckily it wasn't a list of my passwords or other personal information, BUT...

• How come it doesn't always scan into my .Inbox notebook which is designated the default notebook?
  • How is it I can scan something into a notebook owned by someone else and then not be able to delete my own note?
  • How can I set up either Evernote or my Scansnap iX500 to ALWAYS scan into my Inbox notebook?
  • If a notebook is shared, is there a monitoring function whereby the "owner" gets to approve or deny a note originating from someone else before it is incorporated into his/her notebook (similar to how one can set up a forum or BBS)?
TIA

Hmmm.... This is supposed to be impossible. As far as I know, Scott is sharing the notebook publicly. My guess is that you have encountered a bug (others have encountered it as well) that shows the note in a joined notebook instead of your account. As far as I know, this is a local thing with the Windows app, and the note on the servers or anywhere else is definitely not shared. I'd contact support. I'll get you a link to the thread about this bug in a second...

There was a more useful thread, but I cannot seem to find it in the forums. This is all I could find. Support ought to know what to do to help. The last I heard in November, the solution attempted was uninstall and reinstall, but I think the bug popped up again, so they may have a better fix by now.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/45247-contact-owner-of-shared-notebook/

Hi there :)

So, you are adding to my notebook huh? :P

First off, don't worry about you adding anything to my notebook. The note will never get to my notebook. If you look in your activity log after syncing you should see something along the lines of "Skipping note..."

You are not the first to do this, and probably not the last. I will have to find the response I wrote to the last person that had this trouble and post them. (I think it may boil down to copying your note out, so you can keep and edit it, and then removing and re-adding the notebook)

Your 4 questions:

1/3. This may depend on how your scanner works, and I can't be certain since I don't actually use a scanner here. You could try changing the setting in Tools -> Clipping Preferences or you could try setting up an import folder in which the scans are placed and you can specify where the imported scans go.

2. It seems that there are ways to place an item in a notebook you don't have access to, which EN doesn't realise is not supposed to happen. (For instance, I think you can just drop notes in them) But once there, it realises that you don't have permission and doesn't let you then do anything about it, thinking you are trying to modify someone elses data.

4. Since it is not ever going to reach my notebook I am not sure if this would be necessary. Though I wonder about notebooks in which someone has access, there could be some vetting process? Not sure.

Will post when I find the comments I had previously when I find them ;)

Scott

• Level 5*

I think that is basically the solution -- copy the notes out. The Windows client seems to allow you to add notes (locally) to the notebook, even though you can't actually add them (they won't sync to the server). I suppose that note is probably un-synced in limbo somewhere. Hopefully, this bug will get worked out in the next update, but the important thing is that it is definitely not being broadcast to the world in his public notebook :)

Yes, looking at my response to the last person, this was the suggestion I had:

First I think I should address your concern about you adding notes to my notebook.

Your notes so far haven’t reached me, and shouldn't do. It is a public notebook with me as the only person who can edit it. So any notes you add to it, are ignored by EN when syncing. If you watch the activity log when syncing, you will see something along the lines of:

18:05:22 [16704] 0% Skipping note "Test Note in Evernote for Windows Ver..." in an unsynced notebook "Evernote 5 Help"

18:05:22 [16704] 50% Skipping note "Test Note in Windows Version 5" in an unsynced notebook "Evernote 5 Help"

So you don’t have to worry about accidentally sharing your content via me.

Now, the issue of removing those notes is one that I am not exactly sure of the solution. In my testing EN allows you to move notes into the notebooks but not out (which I guess given the way it works is probably wise) So that leaves you in the position of wondering how to remove the notes.

I am not sure, and I can do a little more research into the matter, but I think your best bet may actually be to delete the notebook and re-add it via its link. In my testing, this reset the notebook back to it’s original state.

I believe that the notes that didn't belong there are deleted, and can be found in the trash, but I would suggest making copies of them anyway, just in case.

Unfortunately I don't believe that there is a way to prevent this from happening so you will have to ensure that you have the correct notebook selected in Evernote before you use the Send To option.

Thanks, guys... I'll notify support about it... sure looks silly there and gives me a giggle.  I already copied it into one of my notebooks so as long as it isn't mucking up Scott's great help guide, no harm, no foul.

report on the fix:

1. moved the windows measurement note into .Inbox
  2. deleted Evernote 5 Help from my client
  3. opened Evernote 5 Help from link I had saved already in another note.
  4. Clicked "Join Notebook"
  5. Sync'ed client -> NADA; rien de tout; nothing at all
  6. waited a while; repeated #5 a few more times (thought maybe Evernote thought "delete and never allow this notebook to be joined by me ever again."
  7. opened my web EN account -> not there; repeated #5 again a few more times -> still not there.
  8. noticed "Joined Notebooks" on the EN web UI, clicked it and VOILA!! Its there
  9. made sure I could open it from EN web UI -> could
  10. repeated #5 and it finally showed up in EN client (Windows)

Archived