No UK date format?

Just signed up for Evernote Premium. Liking it very much. But what about sorting out the incorrect US date formats for UK/European/Aus/NZ etc. At best it's confusing, at worst can lead to mistakes. Is Evernote just for Americans or is it intended to have global reach?

• Level 5*

Just signed up for Evernote Premium. Liking it very much. But what about sorting out the incorrect US date formats for UK/European/Aus/NZ etc. At best it's confusing, at worst can lead to mistakes. Is Evernote just for Americans or is it intended to have global reach?

It's for Americans... just kidding! Welcome to the forums.

If you are using a Mac and your system settings are international (or whatever style you use), then you'll be able to select that dating format in your Evernote preferences. It only takes a few seconds to customize. For me shift+option+command+d looks like this 午前11:30 and command+shift+d looks like this 2013年12月29日

• Level 5*

EN Windows

I'm Italian and set UI language and check spelling as Italian:

I see date in dd/mm/yyyy format.

Changed both to English, but keep seeing the dd/mm/yyyy format.

Regards.  G

I think you have to change the date format in your system settings. Here are instructions.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/29812-insert-date-formats-please-add-iso-8601/?p=160826

EN Windows

I'm Italian and set UI language and check spelling as Italian:

I see date in dd/mm/yyyy format.

Changed both to English, but keep seeing the dd/mm/yyyy format.

Regards.  G

I think you have to change the date format in your system settings. Here are instructions.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/29812-insert-date-formats-please-add-iso-8601/?p=160826

Sorry, I was writing my post to DaveyEbb while you posted your one and I didn't see it.

What if I am one of the 90% of computer users who don't use a Mac? Any advice for Windows users please? I don't seem to have an Evernote preferences option. I am a slightly annoyed premium user.

The chat support times are inappropriate for the world ex-USA, and the software doesn't seem to accommodate international usage. Wake up Evernote: local dates and times are fundamental and critical!

• Level 5*

What if I am one of the 90% of computer users who don't use a Mac? Any advice for Windows users please? I don't seem to have an Evernote preferences option. I am a slightly annoyed premium user.

The chat support times are inappropriate for the world ex-USA, and the software doesn't seem to accommodate international usage. Wake up Evernote: local dates and times are fundamental and critical!

There is no Evernote option for this in the Windows client, as far as I know, unless there's a registry setting. Evernote uses the Windows system settings for time in the Windows client. You'd see this if you used the timestamp shortcut (Ctrl+; - Ctrl + the semicolon key), or in the note info panel, and elsewhere. This is set in the Control Panel: Control Panel > Clock, Language, and Region > Change the date, time, or number format. The Short date and Short time settings are what are used.
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've just installed the free version on my Android tablet and am seeing dates in US format, although I'm in the UK and have checked that the date format in my system is correct. I can't see any setting for the date format in Evernote itself. If there's no way to fix this problem, then I'm afraid I will not be using even the free version. For an organiser programme, this is a really basic issue. For us in Britain, 6/5/2014 is 6 May, not 5 June. If the meaning of a date is unclear, then this kind of software becomes unusable.

• Level 5*

I've just installed the free version on my Android tablet and am seeing dates in US format, although I'm in the UK and have checked that the date format in my system is correct. I can't see any setting for the date format in Evernote itself. If there's no way to fix this problem, then I'm afraid I will not be using even the free version. For an organiser programme, this is a really basic issue. For us in Britain, 6/5/2014 is 6 May, not 5 June. If the meaning of a date is unclear, then this kind of software becomes unusable.

What's the context here? Where are you seeing dates formatted as 6/5/2014?

In a new to do list created automatically for me immediately after installation, which was labelled "To do list for 5/14/2014". What's worse, when I deleted this and tried to create a new one, I couldn't see anything in the interface on the lines of "New to do list". I tried creating a new note, which was undated but again, when I checked the properties for this, they said "Created May 14, 2014". That's not a date format I will ever use unless I move to the US and am forced to.
  • Level 5*

In a new to do list created automatically for me immediately after installation, which was labelled "To do list for 5/14/2014". What's worse, when I deleted this and tried to create a new one, I couldn't see anything in the interface on the lines of "New to do list". I tried creating a new note, which was undated but again, when I checked the properties for this, they said "Created May 14, 2014". That's not a date format I will ever use unless I move to the US and am forced to.
If you're discussing text that's contained in a note or its title, then that's wholly user-controlled: they won't adjust dates in note content according to OS settings.

If they've auto-generated some note text for you, they should be cognizant of the OS settings, but that's a rare occurrence. I don't see any settings for the note info date formats; it doesn't quite match the Android settings (the 3-letter month designation) but at least it's unambiguous. Should probably match the OS settings, too.

• 1 year later...

Archived