(Archived) REQUEST: Table editing within a note

ymatto

Idea

I can't seem to find any way to insert a new row in a table in the middle of that table (ie. insert a row before another one that I've already populated with text). Am I missing something? If not, could we get an "insert new row" command?

77 replies to this idea

Tried hitting tab key in last cell - on Mac - and nothing happened. :-( As this is the E4Mac forum I assume it was supposed to work on a Mac. (This on Lion, FWIW.)

Martin

ahh yes, same needed here, but not to track expenses but the same basic use case... I have someone to do that for me Martin ;-)

Create a table, say upto 10 columns; add rows, say 10, either add lines within rows, or one line per row, would accept either

Delete row, insert row, append row.

Don't want changeable frames, different styles, types of borders, just basic tables. I'm even prepared to have a non-updateable table on most platforms if I can have it on Windows or Web...

pps Martin and I used to sit next to each other 20-years ago, have not seen each other for 8+-years but I bet its the same Martin Packer if he's tracking expenses ;-)

• Level 5*

Mmmm, works for me on the latest version and Lion.

Are you in the bottom cell as far right as you can go?

Can you try creating a brand new table with a couple of rows and trying there? I'm wondering if there is something weird with your existing table...

@pgdahl consider MY use case:

I have a note with a table of expense claims. I add a row for each claim. I need it to be a table because I have five columns - name, when submitted, when processed, when paid and amount. (In fact the three "when" columns should contain check boxes but that's another story.)

So after setting the table up I ran out of rows. What to do? In the end I wrote an Applescript program to add rows to the table.

I maintain my use case is typical and is not the same as "we want Evernote to be as comprehensive as Office".

So I disagree with your comment as it relates to table management.

Martin

+1 for table editing

This is kind of crazy and frankly, a little bizarre. Windows has had table editing since about 2009? Is that right? And for the Mac, nothing? Mac users have been begging for simple table editing for just as long.

Has this been some passive aggressive protest on the part of Evernote to drive Steve Jobs so bonkers he leaves his job? Well, you've succeeded! Now please add table editing for Mac!

+1 for table editing

Meanwhile, what is the best work-around solution for editing Evernote tables?

I'd like to be able to change the number of rows/columns, and to move a give row (or column), i.e., change the order

Also, change size of the table (though I guess it adjusts to content)

So far, I can redo the note w/ table in MS Word (for Mac) and move it back into Evernote. But this seems inconvenient, in terms of workflow, so maybe I am better off not using such tables in Evernote? Unfortunately, this could Evernote less useful for my course preparation.

As with many features, implementations do not always march in lock-step across all clients. In this case, it's already in the Windows client; it's surely on the list for the Mac client, since it's indisputably useful.

It may be on the list, but it didn't make the cut for the April release. I guess there were more folks who wanted to share their notes via FB than folks who want the ability to edit tables. Does EN have a documented release schedule? For example, do they provide interim feature releases quarterly and major releases annually? Would a feature request like the table editing fall into an interim release schedule or would we need to wait for a major release? Does the fact that adding table editing for the Mac client would bring the client in line with the Windows and Web client expedite the incorporation of the release or have no bearing?

I just want to know when I should check back in for this feature.

Uggg.  I created two to many columns! HA!  I'm sure I'm missing something on how to delete a COLUMN.  I can't delete a column by right clicking and using context menu??  I'm on win 7 with chrome.

Got it!  I see now, it works on the desktop app but not web app.

I would also like to see the feature of adding/deleting tables, and ability to add/delete rows/columns from the web interface of evernote.  I don't use a desktop client since I prefer the web site.

+1 for chart upgrade. It wouldn't have to be as robust as Excel. But simply formatting column width and adding the ability to do basic math would be fantastic.

That's a basic spreadsheet program. There are several great ones that are free, but I don't think Evernote is going to wander in that direction much

@pgdahl consider MY use case:

I have a note with a table of expense claims. I add a row for each claim. I need it to be a table because I have five columns - name, when submitted, when processed, when paid and amount. (In fact the three "when" columns should contain check boxes but that's another story.)

So after setting the table up I ran out of rows. What to do? In the end I wrote an Applescript program to add rows to the table.

I maintain my use case is typical and is not the same as "we want Evernote to be as comprehensive as Office".

So I disagree with your comment as it relates to table management.

Martin

I didn't notice your response before, but I - on my part - will maintain that you need a spreadsheet app, not Evernote. You're trying to peel potatoes with a pencil.

I just happened to check back in on this thread I created. I'm still pretty disappointed that this feature hasn't made the cut list for new features. I'm certainly not looking for Word implemented within Evernote, but I do find a number of cases where very basic tables come in handy. For example, I have a set of regular medical tests that I have to keep close track of, and so I have a note with a table keeping track of what I've had done and when. I can get by for this particular use because all I'm doing is adding new rows on the end, but I generally avoid tables because I know if I happen to want to add a row in the middle of one, I'll have to start over more or less which is quite frustrating!

Pretty please could we just have a couple simple "add row/column after this one" commands?

• Level 5*

Hmmm, you don't seem to understand the distinction between observation and making excuses, but you sure know your nonsense.

[Translation: In a post of 9 months vintage, wherein I expressed an observation as to how Evernote operates (do you claim that it's different?), a belief that table editing for the Mac was on the list (it may still be, even if it isn't currently implemented), and a general agreement that it would be a useful feature (surely you do not disagree with that), you saw fit to label it making excuses for Evernote, a nonsensical claim. Nonsense tends to breed nonsense, though I probably would have ignored you had you not dragged my comment into it. Irony alert: complaining that the Mac client is deficient to the Windows client (this post and others), while your sig claims that Evernote on the Mac is the BEST]

• Level 5*

As with many features, implementations do not always march in lock-step across all clients. In this case, it's already in the Windows client; it's surely on the list for the Mac client, since it's indisputably useful.

I've seen you and other Evangelists give this excuse for why a EN Windows feature is not currently in EN Mac.

I have also seen top-level EN executives state that EN tries to maintain the same feature set across platforms.

Words. All Words. But the Evernote actions don't backup the words.

I have no problem with it taking a month or so for a feature released in Windows to be added to Mac.

But 14 months after Table editing was added to Windows, we still don't have it in Mac.

This thread requesting table editing in the Mac client was started in May 2009 -- 2 and 1/2 years ago!

Here's a quote from the thread where Table Editing was implemented in Windows in Oct 2010 -- 14 months ago:

We appreciate your help in testing our upcoming version for Microsoft Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7. Our goal is to find and address as many issues as possible during the beta period.

This is BETA software. By installing this application you are acknowledging the potential for data loss and/or corruption of your notes. Only individuals that understand the inherent risks associated with beta software should install the Evernote 4 Beta. For these reasons, we request that users refrain from promoting the Beta outside of the Evernote Forum prior to its official release.

What's new in Evernote 4 Beta

The Evernote 4 Beta contains a number of significant improvements throughout the application. Below is a list of new and improved features:

. . .

Better editing

[*:1j5iwz1y]Better table editing (add/remove columns and rows)

[*:1j5iwz1y]More text colors

[*:1j5iwz1y]Better font support

[*:1j5iwz1y]Better keyboard navigation in tables

[*:1j5iwz1y]Better support for bulleted and numbered lists

This certainly looks like creating a mountain out of a molehill.

Well, one person's mountain is another person's molehill. :)

Count me out. I have no need for tables in Evernote.

I understand your comments since you do not have a need for tables.

However, there are many of us that do have a need for simple table editing directly within EN. Different people organize their information differently. For me, most of my notes need to be in either a list format or a table format. I understand how to use Word/Excel quite well, but that is not the same as the table being directly in EN, particularly when my need extends to the iPad and iPhone.

Thanks for allowing those of us who do need tables to express our need.

• Level 5

This certainly looks like creating a mountain out of a molehill.

Two quick and easy solutions

1.) If these highly-complex table enhancements are really needed, then use Word. Create the table. Save it as a pdf file in Evernote.

2.) If search is not important, it is even easier with the Premium version, just drop the Word document into Evernote.

• Level 5*
You might be able to suggest - not sure you can propose.....

Your point?

pro·pose   /prəˈpoʊz/ Show Spelled [pruh-pohz] Show IPA verb, -posed, -pos·ing.

–verb (used with object)

1. to offer or suggest (a matter, subject, case, etc.) for consideration, acceptance, or action: to propose a new method.

Do you have any content suggestions to offer?

Your 'proposal' strikes me as being rather demanding - I've always found being gracious and polite to be a better method of achieving my goals.

From a content point of view I don't have a great deal to add - I don't really care about supporting tables and the impression I get is that it isn't high up the priority list for the EN team either.

But you keep proposing....

You might be able to suggest - not sure you can propose.....

Your point?

pro·pose   /prəˈpoʊz/ Show Spelled [pruh-pohz] Show IPA verb, -posed, -pos·ing.

–verb (used with object)

1. to offer or suggest (a matter, subject, case, etc.) for consideration, acceptance, or action: to propose a new method.

Do you have any content suggestions to offer?

+1 for improved Table Editing and formatting -- BOTH MAC AND WINDOWS

As I see this, it falls into two categories:

1. [*:17vr1tbc]Modest Enhancements to existing capability
    [*:17vr1tbc]New Major Table features

I propose that

• [*:17vr1tbc]#1 be implemented ASAP to provide the minimum functionality to create/edit/use Tables in EN.
    [*:17vr1tbc]#2 be implemented in the next major release.

#1 -- Modest Enhancements to Existing Capability

1. [*:17vr1tbc]Add choice on "Insert Table" to "Fit to Contents"
    [*:17vr1tbc]Change the default Table & Cell properties to create a table with single-line borders & no space between cells (much like the default Word tables look)
    [*:17vr1tbc]Fix Bug on Cell Shading and Text Color when pasting table from Word or Excel
    (Currently it converts all shading and text coloring to "black" unless the text is "white", making the text invisible)
    [*:17vr1tbc]ADD Cell Shading tool
    [*:17vr1tbc]ADD KB [DOWN-ARROW] and [uP-ARROW] to move the cursor down and up one cell, respectively.
    [*:17vr1tbc]ADD KB [TAB] and [sHIFT-TAB] to move the cursor RIGHT and LEFT one cell, respectively.
    [*:17vr1tbc]If {Insert Row} and {Insert Column} can be easily/quickly done, then include in this update

#2 -- New Major Table Features

1. [*:17vr1tbc]The general objective would be to model the MS Word basic table features
    (I don't won't to get into a MS debate here -- I just think that more people use Word than any other Word Processor, and it would be most intuitive to most people to model the basic Word table features/behavior)
    [*:17vr1tbc]IF 1.g. was not implemented, then do it now.
    [*:17vr1tbc]COPY/CUT Row or Column and Insert at new location in Table
    [*:17vr1tbc]Select one or more Rows (or Columns) and Drag/Drop at new location in Table
    [*:17vr1tbc]SPLIT Table into two separate tables
    [*:17vr1tbc]MERGE two tables into one table
    [*:17vr1tbc]MERGE two or more Cells (horizontal or vertical)
    [*:17vr1tbc]Select one or more cells and modify standard HTML Cell Properties
    [*:17vr1tbc]I'm sure that there are more table features that would be helpful, but I am trying to keep this list to a minimum of the most often used table features.
    [*:17vr1tbc]If you fully support COPY TABLE TO, PASTE TABLE FROM both and Word and Excel, then we can perform the more complicated, but less often used, functions using Word/Excel.

Count me in. On some levels I find Evernote to be quite advanced and savvy. However, on other levels it feels way behind the times. Personally, I would like the ability to:

1. Insert rows/columns in the middle of a table.

2. The ability to copy/paste a row from one area of a table to another (cut/paste)

3. The ability to resize table

4. The ability to paste a groups of cells from a spreadsheet into Evernote as a table

5. The ability to dynamically create a table by hitting from wherever I am ( would start a new row) (This is a shout out to OneNote)

I believe that table support is relatively new to the product and, from what I can see, the Evernote team is constantly trying to improve the product. That is way better than I can say for most. If you guys could take the table management out of the rudimentary/basic level that would be handy.

-wjbuuid

You can actually add a row just by tabbing through the cells, and when you're in the lower right cell, hitting tab again creates another row.

I haven't figured out how to create a new column, delete column/row, or change width of the table, etc. It is VERY annoying. Looks like a simple HTML table. Hopefully this will be fixed soon :(

I would love for this feature to be implemented.

As a side request, it would be nice if we could edit the way they show. As in, make the borders less thick, or even invisible, drag/drop column widths, drag/drop row height.

I second this please.

It would be great if we could click on a table and have the options to:

insert new row

&/or

insert new column.

As it is now once a table is made and filled with data you can't modify its boundaries, which means having to reinput all the old data into a new larger table :?

• Level 5

Since people have been asking for this for months now I have to presume that noone on Evernote reads the forums!

You presume wrong.

Since you know that people have been asking for this for months, you obviously have seen all the comments from Evernote staff.

Evernote staff respond virtually every day. I've seen helpful responses on the weekends and holidays.

• Level 5*

I guess I'm not alone in not needing this at all.

Therefore I'd suggest that this isn't all that urgent....

Obviously just my opinion which I'm making clear rather than suggesting that my requirement is a vital and imperative change to the application.

I strongly second the need for table editing.

Note collecting is not just about collecting notes, it is also about the management of information, and most data eventually needs to be managed in some kind of tabular manner. So, if I were the product manager for EN, I would be categorizing the features in the following way. First implement the management (i.e., editing) tools, then implement the presentation features.

. . .

Thanks for laying out the need and implementation strategy in a very clear and logical manner.

I agree 100%.

We urgently need to have the Table Management Tools implemented so we can at least add/delete rows and columns.

Please see complete post by "aks" for details:

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=10129&p=101654#p81542

I second jimlongo. I would also add that I would like row/column features to the iPad version as well.

I have found that I can tab forward to create a new row (a la Word) on my MacBook, although I wasn't able to do this if there were items below the table. I am not able to add rows on my iPad, so I was putting thoughts to be added later under the table, until I realized that is what impeded my ability to add rows once I was back on my MacBook.

If anyone has advice on what I'm missing here, please let me know!

Thank you -

CB

Since people have been asking for this for months now I have to presume that noone on Evernote reads the forums

I suspect if this was the only thing on their plate, it would have been done. Alas, they have many clients (in addition to the Mac one) and users of those clients want things added as well.

• Level 5*

I want to add my voice to this - I dont' care about fancy features I just want to be able to really basic things like insert a row - something you USED to be able to do before they downgraded the web based editor to something that looks fancy but is less functional.

Without being able to insert rows you can't manage a list - even the most basic HTML editors can manage this.

PLEASE PLEASE can we at least have a button on the web version that takes us back to the old version of the editor.

Since people have been asking for this for months now I have to presume that noone on Evernote reads the forums!

At the moment I'm thinking about cancelling my Premium service (Yes I pay for this!) and going back to basic, and finding something else (e.g. going back to VoodooPad) for note taking.

The new EN Win 4 client provides for very modest table editing features: insert and delete of rows and columns.

It's not much, but it's a start and provides for the most basic needs that we didn't have before.

Hopefully the EN Mac client will soon be updated with these and more table features soon.

I strongly second the need for table editing.

Note collecting is not just about collecting notes, it is also about the management of information, and most data eventually needs to be managed in some kind of tabular manner. So, if I were the product manager for EN, I would be categorizing the features in the following way. First implement the management (i.e., editing) tools, then implement the presentation features.

Managing Tabular Data

• [*:2ngtfbt2]create table done
    [*:2ngtfbt2]delete table done
    [*:2ngtfbt2]insert row
    [*:2ngtfbt2]delete row
    [*:2ngtfbt2]insert column
    [*:2ngtfbt2]delete column
    [*:2ngtfbt2]adjust table width including "auto"
    [*:2ngtfbt2]adjust table height including "auto"
    [*:2ngtfbt2]adjust column width including "auto"
    [*:2ngtfbt2]adjust row height including "auto"
    [*:2ngtfbt2]merge horizontally-adjacent cels
    [*:2ngtfbt2]merge vertically-adjacent cells
    [*:2ngtfbt2]split cell vertically
    [*:2ngtfbt2]split cell horizontally

Presenting Tabular Data

• [*:2ngtfbt2]edit table attributes
    • [*:2ngtfbt2]table width (auto, % of page, pixels, points, etc.)[/8i]
      [*:2ngtfbt2]table alignment
      [*:2ngtfbt2]border width
      [*:2ngtfbt2]border style (none, thin, solid, dashed, double, etc.)
      [*:2ngtfbt2]table margins
      [*:2ngtfbt2]font face
      [*:2ngtfbt2]font size
      [*:2ngtfbt2]text alignment
      [*:2ngtfbt2]color (foreground)
      [*:2ngtfbt2]background color
      [*:2ngtfbt2]display style (inline, block)
      [*:2ngtfbt2]float (left, right, none)
      [*:2ngtfbt2]clear (left, right, both, none)

[*:2ngtfbt2]edit row attributes

• [*:2ngtfbt2]row height
    [*:2ngtfbt2] other row styles -- see above

[*:2ngtfbt2]edit column attributes

• [*:2ngtfbt2]column width
    [*:2ngtfbt2] other column styles -- see above

[*:2ngtfbt2]edit cell attributes

• [*:2ngtfbt2]cell styles

PS: Is this EN Forum markdown language really all that different from HTML syntax? How is '[foo]' any different from ''?

If you really want to provide a widely supported non-HTML mark up, why not use textile? At least, it supports tables B)

I agree ! This would be an excellent feature. I've just typed a new note with a "table", which consisted of tabs and spaces to try and line things up but when I look at it on my iphone the "formatting" is all over the place. So a simple table which would replicate from laptop to iphone would be excellent!

Archived