Do you think cost for Premium is too much money?

I was thinking of going for the premium version but $45 PER YEAR is a lot of money. Don't get me wrong, I think every computer should have Evernote on it but the price is steep in my opinion. I was curious if it is just me or do others think the price is good, okay or too high?

I've bought a lot of software and notice that developers are starting to charge subscriptions in stead of selling the software outright, like they used to do in the good old days. Then they would ask for more money with major upgrades, which you could  get or not.

I have Onenote which came with an old version of Office a few years ago. It is okay but doesn't come close to Evernote.

So if Evernote leaves this up can you tell me if you think price is right or what you think is a reasonable price you would pay for it?

My opinion is that price is too high and I think $20 per year is fair. I would also like to be able to buy the software and pay for major upgrades if I wanted them.

• Level 5

I believe you have made the wrong assumption. In my opinion, the issue is less price related and more feature related.

• The issue is not too high a price for premium users.
  • The issue is that there are too many features for the free users.

This makes the user willing to spend more time with the free Evernote before deciding to upgrade.

It is difficult to argue with Evernote's success with their current pricing model.The market has spoken. There are over 60 million users now. Phil Libin, the Evernote CEO, has pointed out that the longer a free user sticks with Evernote, the greater the conversion rate to paid premium users.

Just remember the famous marketing slogan:

If you build a better mousetrap

and the world is beating a path to your door,

then your prices are too low.

I'm comfortable with the price, or else I wouldn't pay it. Besides, it's not an issue of "fair" or "unfair" but one of what the market will bear. No one is forcing anyone to purchase a subscription, and there are alternatives (although in my estimation none of those alternatives are as good as Evernote -- hence, I willingly pay the premium subscription fee).

• Level 5*

I was thinking of going for the premium version but $45 PER YEAR is a lot of money. Don't get me wrong, I think every computer should have Evernote on it but the price is steep in my opinion. I was curious if it is just me or do others think the price is good, okay or too high?

I've bought a lot of software and notice that developers are starting to charge subscriptions in stead of selling the software outright, like they used to do in the good old days. Then they would ask for more money with major upgrades, which you could  get or not.

I have Onenote which came with an old version of Office a few years ago. It is okay but doesn't come close to Evernote.

So if Evernote leaves this up can you tell me if you think price is right or what you think is a reasonable price you would pay for it?

My opinion is that price is too high and I think $20 per year is fair. I would also like to be able to buy the software and pay for major upgrades if I wanted them.

Actually, Evernote is free. Every upgrade is free. Forever. That is the difference between it and OneNote or the other software offerings in the days of yore. If you want Premium, then you can pay for it. However, there is certainly no need to do so until the $45 a year feels like it is worth it for your particular use case.

They do get the test what the market will bear. A lot of subscriptions cost the same in the hopes that enough users will nickle themselves for the pro features, but you are not the only one to wonder about that cost structure in general. I think a bunch of people paying out $5 a month are looking to consolidate where they can, yadda. But it does depend on the value to you the user, does 45/yr for evernote cut it say versus 99/year for Office 365? How many subs you have as well and what fits your budget. Do you want to pay for both, just one, neither, etc. The market will change, as has OneNote btw. (the MS pricing really makes owning a copy of office, at least at home, silly to do). But it does come down to a very personal choice. Anyone saying it isn't too much will always come from someone who derives value from the extra features. Anyone saying they would never pay "whoever it is" obviously does not.

• Level 5*

I tend to equate software costs with hotel stays - 'business' software - the database / spreadsheet / word processor sort of thing - tends to cost (IME) about 2 nights' stay in a business class hotel.  By me that makes Evernote's market value 5-10x more than they actually charge.  Since they also run a pretty full-featured free service that will satisfy anyone who doesn't need all the extra bells and whistles,  I think the modest extra hit for Premium is fully justified.  And it's stayed at the same level for a long time,  throughout a fairly stressful economic roller coaster.  If Evernote starts to feel pressure from falling sales I'm sure they'll review.  Meantime as has already been said - stick with the free version for as long as you can,  but if you need the extra capacity TANSTAAFL.

I would add my opinion except I think you get the message.

My two cents - Evernote Premium is one of the best values out there.  It is my "go-to" app for most of my day.  (Supplemented by Google Drive and its assorted apps). 

By the way, what did you pay for that older version of One Note?  And what would it have cost to keep it up to date?  And if need be could you get your money back if you decided it wasn't worth the upgrade? 

If nothing else, I view it as a good investment in something that just makes my life so much easier and doing my ever so small part to help keep it around. 

• Level 5*

Is there a calendar and reminder function on Evernote? This would make it worth the money. I know they were talking about it, but I haven't checked if it's done yet. Is it?

There is a reminder function in Evernote now, yes.

Is there a calendar and reminder function on Evernote? This would make it worth the money. I know they were talking about it, but I haven't checked if it's done yet. Is it?

However, if you subscribe to Evernote Premium for the reminders and possible future calendar, I think you'll be disappointed. The reminder function is extremely basic. It will tie in with some full fledged task management programs (Remember the Milk is the one I can think of) but it's rather rudimentary. One could wrestle it into a task management system but frankly, I can't imaging spending the energy. Subscribe if Evernote as it exist right now meets your needs.

Best of luck.

• Level 5*

...although, reminders are available to free users as well, so it should be easy to figure out whether they suit your needs (they do mine, as I only need a basic set of functionality -- frankly, I'm not really disciplined enough to use a full-fledged to-do system, much less something like GTD)...

• Level 5*

Isn't this really simple?

If you use the service a lot (or if you just plain like it and want to support the developers) then it's worth it. If you don't see that it is worth $45 a year to you then it isn't.

Seems like a good deal to me... interesting that lots meniton $5 a month... it is actually $3.75 a month... great pricing IMHO.

I said $5/month because that is what it currently cost me. I selected to pay for just a month of premium to see if it was worth it to me over the free version.

Guess if you pay for it a year at a time it's cheaper, but then technically it's $45 a year because you are paying for it all at once and not $3.75 a month because you are not being billed monthly for it. Unless I'm misunderstanding how the billing works.

Either way I think the price for premium is cheap enough.  

However, if you subscribe to Evernote Premium for the reminders and possible future calendar, I think you'll be disappointed. The reminder function is extremely basic. It will tie in with some full fledged task management programs (Remember the Milk is the one I can think of) but it's rather rudimentary. One could wrestle it into a task management system but frankly, I can't imaging spending the energy. Subscribe if Evernote as it exist right now meets your needs.

Best of luck.

Actually I use Evernote for task management -- specifically GTD. I use the reminders function to set due dates. It works well. No wrestling, no extra investment of time or energy.

If I may make a suggestion, it's ultimately a waste of time to poll users of a product or service to ask if they feel the price is fair or not. No company is going to make changes to its pricing simply because of complaints on the internet. The only reason any properly run company will make a change is if market conditions necessitate it -- for example, if a company sees itself losing customers to a rival with lower pricing, that would logically motivate a change in their pricing structure.

The other problem with this discussion is that some of us are pre-supposing that we know Evernote can afford to lower its pricing dramatically. Because Evernote is a privately held company and their P&Ls aren't public, we have no way of knowing whether Evernote could drastically drop its pricing and remain profitable.

If the free version isn't enough to meet your needs and the Premium service pricing isn't acceptable to you, find another product that does what you need and is at a price point you like. 

The thing is I suspect you won't find a product that does what Evernote does at a significantly lower price. While I have had my gripes about Evernote, the fact is I have not found a program that does what Evernote does, as well as it does. Evernote allows me to capture content from a variety of sources, organize it easily, and find it using amazingly robust search features. Moreover, Evernote has an intuitive UI, and it just works.

Just saying, no one put a gun to my head and forced me to subscribe. Instead the people behind Evernote created a great product that fills a real need and made me WANT to subscribe. To me, it's capitalism at its finest.

I feel the price is fair, and if I didn't I wouldn't post about it here. I'd walk away. Which isn't going to happen because Evernote has become the locus for most of my productivity needs.

I'm trying to figure out what it's in premium. All I see on this web page (https://www.evernote.com/market/feature/premium?sku=premium-1year) is this and it doesn't link to anything: GET ACCESS TO ALL THE EXTRAS

We’ve considered every detail. An ever-growing list of special features within all of our apps and partner products make for an elevated experience across the board.
  • Level 5*

I'm trying to figure out what it's in premium. All I see on this web page (https://www.evernote.com/market/feature/premium?sku=premium-1year) is this and it doesn't link to anything: GET ACCESS TO ALL THE EXTRAS

We’ve considered every detail. An ever-growing list of special features within all of our apps and partner products make for an elevated experience across the board.

Hi. Evernote (strangely) does not provide a straightforward table listing all of the benefits for Business and Premium. They've done a great job (I think) at differentiating the account types and pricing them, but for some reason they are reluctant to display it all in one place. I've got a list of stuff here that might help you.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=169

. The reminder function is extremely basic. It will tie in with some full fledged task management programs (Remember the Milk is the one I can think of) but it's rather rudimentary. 

The genius of Evernote's Reminders is that is is in the same application, across all my various platforms, as the information I am tracking that required a reminder.

And no, $5 per day is the deal of the century.

Hi. Evernote (strangely) does not provide a straightforward table listing all of the benefits for Business and Premium. They've done a great job (I think) at differentiating the account types and pricing them, but for some reason they are reluctant to display it all in one place. I've got a list of stuff here that might help you.

GM, thanks for the link to the excellent blog post.  As an aside, the limits on amount of storage available refer to what you "upload". Although I have never come close to hitting the upper limit, I have wondered if content that you clip into Evernote using the web clipper or content that is dumped into Evernote via e-mail counts against that upload limit.  Or is it just the bits and bytes that are sent from my desktop Evernote to the servers in the sky?

• Level 5*

GM, thanks for the link to the excellent blog post.  As an aside, the limits on amount of storage available refer to what you "upload". Although I have never come close to hitting the upper limit, I have wondered if content that you clip into Evernote using the web clipper or content that is dumped into Evernote via e-mail counts against that upload limit.  Or is it just the bits and bytes that are sent from my desktop Evernote to the servers in the sky?

Your upload limit includes everything that is sent to Evernote from the Clipper / email / new and edited notes / files attached to notes...  Premium users can buy a month-by-month uplift in the limit if there's a particular need.

• 2 weeks later...

$45 a year is a decent price as long as you use the service often enough.  If $45/year is too much I'm willing to bet you don't use it every day or track important things in it.  Use Google notes for free if that's the case.

Personally, the only thing missing in Evernote is a basic spreadsheet plugin; addition, subtraction, division, multiplication, and nested operations like 2*(4+F3).  Yeah I know you can paste spreadsheet tables in to a note but that's a work around.  99% of my spreadsheet use would be covered by the 4 basic operations and nested operations.  I'd pay an extra $2 to $5 a month for a spreadsheet plugin because it would simplify my lfe that much.

$45 a year is a decent price as long as you use the service often enough.  If $45/year is too much I'm willing to bet you don't use it every day or track important things in it.  Use Google notes for free if that's the case. 

Or, continue to use Evernote without upgrading to premium. It's free.

Yeah, that too.  :-)

Or, continue to use Evernote without upgrading to premium. It's free.

Yeah, that too, I forget about that.  :-)

I guess it depends what you use Evernote for. For me personally, I don't own a business or have heaps of meetings and I've never even come close to using the upload quota, so I'm probably not a "power user," which I think the premium is aimed at. The only Premium service I'd be interested in is off-line notebooks on my mobile and tablet as, for some reason, my tablet and phone doesn't like the wireless system at work. So, just for that, $45 a year is a lot. Similarly, Evernote seems to give all their app attention to iOS with Android as an afterthought and as most of the Premium stuff is aimed at iOS, there is no incentive there.

Personally, I'd like to see another option that is a mid-point between the free and Premium for those of us who don't need ALL the Premium stuff, but would like some of it.

I think another consideration in Evernote's pricing is the pricing of similar services; Dropbox, Amazon storage (S3 of something like that? I don't use it), and other "cloud storage" services. Dropbox gives you 2GB for free, but charges at least $10/month for more. Evernote's $5/month looks pretty good by comparison.

When I decided to go Premium (after about a month of using the free version), I was very happy to pay $5/month...and when I discovered I could save $15 by paying for the whole year, I was ecstatic.

In addition, the freemium model bears some similarities to the PBS model -- lots of people use the service for free, a few pay. Those who pay are actually shouldering the burden of supporting all those who don't.

A portion of my $45/year goes to pay for the services used by free users, and I'm okay with that. 

I guess it depends what you use Evernote for. For me personally, I don't own a business or have heaps of meetings and I've never even come close to using the upload quota, so I'm probably not a "power user," which I think the premium is aimed at. The only Premium service I'd be interested in is off-line notebooks on my mobile and tablet as, for some reason, my tablet and phone doesn't like the wireless system at work. So, just for that, $45 a year is a lot. Similarly, Evernote seems to give all their app attention to iOS with Android as an afterthought and as most of the Premium stuff is aimed at iOS, there is no incentive there.

Personally, I'd like to see another option that is a mid-point between the free and Premium for those of us who don't need ALL the Premium stuff, but would like some of it.

Also, it's nice to throw a bone to devs who make something you rely upon.  We all like to get paid for a job well done, even if it's only a month or two of premium, just to say 'thanks'.

And there is always the "Grass is always greener/Mother always loved you best" syndrome going on, I suppose.  First, premium applies to the service, not the app.  Both Android users & iOS users have access to the same premium features such as offline notebooks, larger monthly upload, larger note size, premium support (including chat), priority indexing over free users, etc. 

Second, for more on Android vs iOS, here's a different POV:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/49541-why-is-ioss-evernote-so-bad-compared-to-androids/

Also, it's nice to throw a bone to devs who make something you rely upon.  We all like to get paid for a job well done, even if it's only a month or two of premium, just to say 'thanks'.

And there is always the "Grass is always greener/Mother always loved you best" syndrome going on, I suppose.  First, premium applies to the service, not the app.  Both Android users & iOS users have access to the same premium features such as offline notebooks, larger monthly upload, larger note size, premium support (including chat), priority indexing over free users, etc. 

Second, for more on Android vs iOS, here's a different POV:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/49541-why-is-ioss-evernote-so-bad-compared-to-androids/

Is there even an option to subscribe for only a month or two?

Is for the iOS VS Android thing I wasn't talking about the actual Evernote app, but the 'extra' stuff like Skritch. Every time I see a new app or app feature I'm interested in it's ALWAYS iOS only. Gives me the poos. Don't know why they can't be released simultaneously to keep thing fair.

Is there even an option to subscribe for only a month or two?

Is for the iOS VS Android thing I wasn't talking about the actual Evernote app, but the 'extra' stuff like Skritch. Every time I see a new app or app feature I'm interested in it's ALWAYS iOS only. Gives me the poos. Don't know why they can't be released simultaneously to keep thing fair.

Yes, you can subscribe month to month & cancel at any time.

Skitch was originally a Mac app that was purchased by EN. It's now on Windows but it's my understanding the Windows app is not as fully featured b/c...it existed on Mac first. AFAIK, same thing applies to the iOS Skitch & the Penultimate app (another app that was acquired by EN.)

Im not a massive Power User and have been using other products also.I decided to take the plunge and try and use Evernote as my main app especially on the idevices.

The winner for me was offline browsing my documents when wifi or 3G is unavailable.

I found the search feature to work better highlighting PDF text.

$45 a year that is tax deductible for me across the web to iPhone is reasonable.

Ive spent hundreds throughout the year on iOS games not to mention inapp purchasing.Some of those games I hardly play.

Don't forget there is a points refer a friend option so you can use the premium service technically for free just by signing a few friends up.

If you have a large social network,this could be a nice little perk.

Price is/was fine with me, however if they continue to "improve" the product the way they did going from 4.x to 5.x, it'll no longer be a product I'm willing to pay for.  Unfortunately the closest thing they have to a real competitor is Microsoft OneNote.  If someone came out with a better product I'd be willing to pay even more.

In my opinion the price is absolutely fair.

In Fact I have two premium accounts - one for work, one for private issues, because I don't want them to mix up.

And I don't want to have my work-files on my private mobile, too.

They are connected via one shared Notebook, in case I have to transfer a note from one account to the other one or when I need some work-related Notes on my mobile.

When I compare my workflows now and before the EN-Aera, then EN is worth every cent!

I personally find $50/yr to be a bargain, but that's my point of view. 

Not saying the OP is guilty of this but I know people who complain about five dollars a month for something like this, and then they turn around and order a $7 drink from Starbucks that will be gone in 10 minutes. 

It's about priorities I guess. 

Not saying the OP is guilty of this but I know people who complain about five dollars a month for something like this, and then they turn around and order a $7 drink from Starbucks that will be gone in 10 minutes. 

While I already said that EN's pricing is really reasonable to me, there may be another aspect to this. I, for myself, try to avoid recurring costs (abos) as much as I can. I prefer to pay a higher one time price to comitting myself to a low recurring price. I usually find other solutions if companies try to pressure me into a "leasing" model. Just recently, I dumped MS Office for this (not a big problem, OpenOffice is just as good) because I did not want to change to there 360° Model. I also used to be an avid Adobe user, but now - not so much (I do miss Photoshop, but I am definitely not willing to pay monthly to use it) (fortunately, Lightroom is still available as standalone version). 

Today, EN is one of only 2 software solutions I am using despite the recurring payment model. There are three reasons why I accept the recurring payments in this case:

1 - the price is absolutely reasonnable

2 - storage costs and uppload limits are understandable reasons to ask a recurring fee

3 - I can pay per year (if it was monthly only, I'd probably find another solution, no matter how much I love EN)

While I already said that EN's pricing is really reasonable to me, there may be another aspect to this. I, for myself, try to avoid recurring costs (abos) as much as I can. I prefer to pay a higher one time price to comitting myself to a low recurring price. I usually find other solutions if companies try to pressure me into a "leasing" model. Just recently, I dumped MS Office for this (not a big problem, OpenOffice is just as good) because I did not want to change to there 360° Model. I also used to be an avid Adobe user, but now - not so much (I do miss Photoshop, but I am definitely not willing to pay monthly to use it) (fortunately, Lightroom is still available as standalone version).

Today, EN is one of only 2 software solutions I am using despite the recurring payment model. There are three reasons why I accept the recurring payments in this case:

1 - the price is absolutely reasonnable

2 - storage costs and uppload limits are understandable reasons to ask a recurring fee

3 - I can pay per year (if it was monthly only, I'd probably find another solution, no matter how much I love EN)

I think one major difference betwen, Evernote and say, microsoft or Adobe, is that Evernote is, as you recognize, a service, not JUST a product. When you pay your annual fee, it is for the expanded services, since the product (the application itself) and a ver basic level of service is essentially free. Very few services give you lifetime service for a one time fee. Unfortunately, a growing number of PRODUCTS (adobe's, Microsoft's) are now also no longer being licensed perpetually, which is a drag (though this isn't new either, as programs like SPSS and SAS are licensed on a term basis and have been for... Well nearly decades!)

I'm far from excited by the rise of subscription-based software, but I don't mind paying a subscription if it's for something I use every day. Evernote is one of those things.

Well, arguably the fee that you pay is not for the software, which is for the most part, free. The fee you pay is for the associated and ongoing service. A subscription based system for Services is pretty standard. 

Evernote has become central to my digital life and workplace organization, so I truthfully find the $4/month for premium to be a bargain.  

I actually suspect that Evernote thinks this premium price is now too low, but that raising the price would alienate too many users.  I say this, because I have never understood the significant pricing difference between Evernote Premium and Business ($3.75/month vs $10/month) without a lot of difference in functionality (here come the flames).  My best guess is that EV Business at $10/month is closer to what Evernote would like to see Premium pricing at today if they could set it again without loosing too many customers.  

Evernote has become central to my digital life and workplace organization, so I truthfully find the $4/month for premium to be a bargain.  

I actually suspect that Evernote thinks this premium price is now too low, but that raising the price would alienate too many users.  I say this, because I have never understood the significant pricing difference between Evernote Premium and Business ($3.75/month vs $10/month) without a lot of difference in functionality (here come the flames).  My best guess is that EV Business at $10/month is closer to what Evernote would like to see Premium pricing at today if they could set it again without loosing too many customers.

Not sure why you think discussing this is flaming.

EB has a higher priority in the support tier plus double the monthly upload quota. That's just for starters. More info here...

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/38683-evernote-premium-vs-evernote-business/?p=209437

• 2 months later...

Just for different perspective: I love and use Evernote a lot - but my monthly upload total is usually less than 5MB - I do not have high storage or transfer needs (mostly text-based notes, lists, reminders, etc.).

The one feature that I need is offline access to my notes on android, for those few times I have no internet connection and I need to look up something or edit a note (say shopping)... Without this one feature Evernote looses a lot of appeal for me.

To use this one feature i pay for premium - so in this case the pricing seems quite steep. It makes me look for alternatives every now and then...

The pricing is reasonable for users with a lot more needs, but I wish there was a bit of tiered pricing, especially since the offline notebooks is really one important bit of functionality, regardless of data transfer and storage needs.

Just for different perspective: I love and use Evernote a lot - but my monthly upload total is usually less than 5MB - I do not have high storage or transfer needs (mostly text-based notes, lists, reminders, etc.).

The one feature that I need is offline access to my notes on android, for those few times I have no internet connection and I need to look up something or edit a note (say shopping)... Without this one feature Evernote looses a lot of appeal for me.

To use this one feature i pay for premium - so in this case the pricing seems quite steep. It makes me look for alternatives every now and then...

The pricing is reasonable for users with a lot more needs, but I wish there was a bit of tiered pricing, especially since the offline notebooks is really one important bit of functionality, regardless of data transfer and storage needs.

With respect to periodic offline access, if you generally can anticipate your offline needs, you could always buy a month premium here or there, which I have done extensively in the past. Most of the time as long as I am in Canada, I have access to a cellular connection (or, at least, my laptop which has my notes locally stored). I travel into other countries where I have no data at least upon arrival (usually when you need that paperwork the most!). I just bought one month of premium and cancelled my subscription right after. That way, instead of spending $5*12=$60 on premium (or $45 if you pay for the full year up front), I might spend $10 or $15 or $20 depending on how many months I travel in. That makes it considerably more affordable  (I am a full time premium subscriber now).

Now, if for whatever reason you are unable to anticipate moments where you are on your mobile only and have no data connection.... this won't help all that much. But in most countries with decent cellular infrastructure, I can't imagine this happening terribly often and without any notice.  

$45 per year divided by 365 days a year equals 12 cent a day.  WOW what a bargain!!

• Level 5*

$45 per year divided by 365 days a year equals 12 cent a day.  WOW what a bargain!!

And when we get a leap year, OMG!!!!

• Level 5*

The annual cost equates to much less than I spend on coffee every day.  In a pinch I'd give up the coffee in preference.  Evernote is not expensive - try other software. I've paid / am paying 10x as much per year for things I use far less often...

There's a free version if you don't want to / can't pay the annual cost.  Introducing a new level of subscription puts up the likely cost to everyone,  so your base level features might still cost around $45/ year - the 'full' version would just be even more expensive.  And you can bet it would be that version that includes the features you really really need...

Scott, I did not realize you were a fellow Canuck. Cool *eh?*

With respect to periodic offline access, if you generally can anticipate your offline needs, you could always buy a month premium here or there, which I have done extensively in the past. Most of the time as long as I am in Canada, I have access to a cellular connection (or, at least, my laptop which has my notes locally stored). I travel into other countries where I have no data at least upon arrival (usually when you need that paperwork the most!). I just bought one month of premium and cancelled my subscription right after. That way, instead of spending $5*12=$60 on premium (or $45 if you pay for the full year up front), I might spend $10 or $15 or $20 depending on how many months I travel in. That makes it considerably more affordable (I am a full time premium subscriber now).

Now, if for whatever reason you are unable to anticipate moments where you are on your mobile only and have no data connection.... this won't help all that much. But in most countries with decent cellular infrastructure, I can't imagine this happening terribly often and without any notice.

• 2 months later...

I stumbled upon this thread when checking the price of evernote premium. Unfortunately, I'm in the UK and evernote, like so many others, sees fit to charge a significant premium (a third more) to its UK users over its US users. $60 (£35) as opposed to $45.

I'm not the biggest fan of subscription based software/services, but am even less enamoured of such pricing "strategies".

• Level 5

The price differential is not decided by Evernote. I lived in England for a couple years and found the Government Mandated VAT (Value Added Tax) to be the biggest culprit for price inflation. VAT is the third largest source of government revenue after the UK income tax and National Insurance.

The price differential is not decided by Evernote. I lived in England for a couple years and found the Government Mandated VAT (Value Added Tax) to be the biggest culprit for price inflation. VAT is the third largest source of government revenue after the UK income tax and National Insurance.

Thanks for your reply and a good point. UK VAT accounts for 20% so there is still a 13% premium although it's not as bad.

I stumbled upon this thread when checking the price of evernote premium. Unfortunately, I'm in the UK and evernote, like so many others, sees fit to charge a significant premium (a third more) to its UK users over its US users. $60 (£35) as opposed to $45.

I'm not the biggest fan of subscription based software/services, but am even less enamoured of such pricing "strategies".

We now accept additional currencies such as the Euro, British Pound etc, so you may see a fluctuation in price for Evernote Premium due to the the exchange rate that we are using against the currency within your country plus the VAT that we are charging in countries that pay VAT which are any EU countries etc.

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/25432-evernote-premium-pricing-in-europe/

• 2 months later...

I am looking at the cost of the yearly membership as my 3month freebie (offered with the Moleskine Notebook) expires soon. I always budget with everything and if its free, then that is fantastic. however, sometimes things are not endlessly free (that's life!) I have viewed the cost of the item annually and $45 over a 12 month period is certainly cheaper than $5 per month. it works out very reasonable. I am happy with the functions in evernote, in comparison to other apps and programs, I do endeavour to use it more than I have been. even at minimal use I do think its a fair cost. Even if your hesitant to pay $5 per month... just think, what else would you spend that $5 dollars on... coffee.... snacks. Make a cut back, ditch the $5 coffee n cake; there's evernote paid for! -Just another way to view the cost :-)
Cheers from a happy evernote user.

Seems like a good deal to me... interesting that lots meniton $5 a month... it is actually $3.75 a month... great pricing IMHO.

I said $5/month because that is what it currently cost me. I selected to pay for just a month of premium to see if it was worth it to me over the free version.

Guess if you pay for it a year at a time it's cheaper, but then technically it's $45 a year because you are paying for it all at once and not $3.75 a month because you are not being billed monthly for it. Unless I'm misunderstanding how the billing works.

Either way I think the price for premium is cheap enough.  

I think so ,Yesterday I said $5 for a month premium version,I get 4G ,It is wonderful .

• 1 month later...

Quite frankly - the price is more than OK. At least for me (and I'm pretty sure for a lot of people out there too) the advantages of the free account are not that huge. Honestly: who needs 4GB of montly upload? I'm using Evernote quite often for almost all of my daily life matters (invoices, receipts, contracts, manuals etc.) but I NEVER touched the 60MB limit.

PIN access for mobile device is nice, also the ability to search in PDFs. But it isn't really necessary as I use tags and title descriptions.

I'm sure that it may sound silly to some of you but I really love to pay for EV. But the advantages are pretty lightweight. EN free simply offers too much features so the paid version isn't as interesting as it could (AND SHOULD!) be...

Whether one has a free or premium account at any given point, I find it insanely awesome that Evernote continues to roll out massive upgrades for everyone.

Just yesterday/ today alone:

• Work Chat for everyone
  • Context for premium users
  • An upgrade to presentation mode for premium users

As a premium user, for a standard monthly/ yearly subscription fee, Evernote piles on new features without an accompanying price hike. I really appreciate it!

Whether one has a free or premium account at any given point, I find it insanely awesome that Evernote continues to roll out massive upgrades for everyone.

• Work Chat for everyone

As a premium user, for a standard monthly/ yearly subscription fee, Evernote piles on new features without an accompanying price hike. I really appreciate it!

Really depends what you want out of a product - a lot of the new features are just clutter for those of who use evernote individually, have no interest in sharing notes, have no interest in chatting with people about our notes, have no interest in sharing notebooks. 

• Work Chat for everyone

Really depends what you want out of a product - a lot of the new features are just clutter for those of who use evernote individually, have no interest in sharing notes, have no interest in chatting with people about our notes, have no interest in sharing notebooks. 

Yeah, I know what you mean... But I still haven't found a supermarket that offers only what I want to buy from year to year. Good thing the dog food isn't sitting in the fruit and veggie section. That would be really bewildering. In fact, I would be inclined to curse dog owners... or the fact that I live in an apartment (I haven't thought that one through yet). So it is with software like Evernote... they group similar features together that you wouldn't even know were there. 

Here are some things tucked away in the context menus that I pretty much don't care for (for now):

• Information:
    • Date Created
    • Date Updated
    • Last Edited by
    • Sync Status
    • Attachment status (no, wait... I lie)

Don't even get me started on the things that clutter up the right click context menu... plus File, Edit, Note, View, Format, Tools, Help...  :angry:

Oh... I almost forgot... the "Sort Notes By" options... Crikey! ... and the bazillion search syntax options we have? It's totally out of control, right!?  :huh:

"What you don't know won't hurt you"... but unfortunately, now I know... to my downfall I've done some snooping around.

Anyways... How obtrusive are these feature options you mentioned?:

• Sharing notes
  • Sharing notebooks
  • Work Chat

FWIW, here are a couple of ways to help customize and de-clutter your Desktop client (Which is probably at least half of the platforms you use):

• Right click on your toolbars and you'll find the ability to "Hide Labels" (My favourite), "Customize Toolbar" (My second-most favorite):

Opt%20out.PNG?dl=0

You can get rid of the "New Chat" icon, if you wish. However, you're stuck with it on mobile devices. On the bright side - one day premium users might have the ability to hide this feature through some customization context menu  :P

Now if I could just customize my local supermarket...

Yep... I liked your suggestion in the other thread specifically related to Work Chat, etc. They may just provide a way to hide the icon on your Android shortly. The main focus here was more related to the perceived value of Premium. I pointed out that for both Premium and Free users, Evernote was providing continual upgrades and new features that may be useful to a wider audience, without continually upping the price of their monthly/ yearly subscription :-)

Indeed. When I first started using Evernote in 2008, the focus was to be my external brain. It was a product geared toward individuals. You could use it for work and/or personal information, but it was a *personal* tool. IME/IMO, that no longer is the case. They have continued to ignore the scalability problem that totally cripples users with *very* large databases (I am one) and instead introduce collaborative features and fancy desk sets. It's their company and certainly their choice to do this. I just wish the former "version" of Evernote was either still around or picked up by another company/product with continued focus on being my external brain, even when I have a very large database with tens of thousands of notes b/c it was amazing...as long as you didn't let your database get large.

Indeed. When I first started using Evernote in 2008, the focus was to be my external brain. It was a product geared toward individuals. You could use it for work and/or personal information, but it was a *personal* tool. IME/IMO, that no longer is the case. They have continued to ignore the scalability problem that totally cripples users with *very* large databases (I am one) and instead introduce collaborative features and fancy desk sets. It's their company and certainly their choice to do this. I just wish the former "version" of Evernote was either still around or picked up by another company/product b/c it was amazing...as long as you didn't let your database get large.

I think that in a short time Evernote will be renamed EverFace !

David in Wichita

I am considering upgrading from Free to Premium.  I have a couple of simple questions for Premium users who pay annually.  If I get the $45 annual subscription, does the "yearly" clock start from when I upgrade or is it a January-December upgrade?

Also, I notice that my monthly Free account resets based upon the day that I joined Evernote (e.g., I joined in the middle of the month and now I have 15 days left in my current cycle).  So, if I upgrade to Premium, will that reset my cycle dates?

Thanks in advance for the help.

(And, FWIW, I do think the $45/year is a fair price and a good value.  I am just concerned about the 100,000 note limit and hitting that ceiling.)

I am considering upgrading from Free to Premium.  I have a couple of simple questions for Premium users who pay annually.  If I get the $45 annual subscription, does the "yearly" clock start from when I upgrade or is it a January-December upgrade?

Also, I notice that my monthly Free account resets based upon the day that I joined Evernote (e.g., I joined in the middle of the month and now I have 15 days left in my current cycle).  So, if I upgrade to Premium, will that reset my cycle dates?

Thanks in advance for the help.

(And, FWIW, I do think the $45/year is a fair price and a good value.  I am just concerned about the 100,000 note limit and hitting that ceiling.)

Your annual cycle starts at the time you upgrade. And based upon my personal experience, you don't want to even get close to the 100,000 note limit. Unless & until Evernote addresses the scalability issue, you will start to experience loss of usability well before you get to 100,000 notes.

Haha, sorry Scott...

That was just a nonsensical comment. I get a kick out of alternative Evernote names here in the forum, whether sincere or tongue-in-cheek. Can't help commenting. But you're absolutely right about the collaboration tools thing. Also, it seems like I'm kind of late to the party, because "contexts" has been out in other apps for some time.

no apologies required!

I think that the 'Facebook' perception being so common around here is telling. Clearly  there are a lot of evernote users who aren't part of that enterprise/business collaboration target audience and who wouldn't be aware that such tools existed, thus the conceptual linking to Facebook, with which they are likely more familiar, than with, say, Campfire.

Big change is afoot, and there are a lot of people who might not want to stick around for the party!

no apologies required!

I think that the 'Facebook' perception being so common around here is telling. Clearly  there are a lot of evernote users who aren't part of that enterprise/business collaboration target audience and who wouldn't be aware that such tools existed, thus the conceptual linking to Facebook, with which they are likely more familiar, than with, say, Campfire.

Big change is afoot, and there are a lot of people who might not want to stick around for the party!

As Frank said, it was a tongue in cheek thing.  Kind of. 

I'm not sure what you think the perceived 'Facebook' perception is telling you. 

Evernote has done a 'bait & switch' (certainly their choice) & didn't even have the courtesy to forewarn users. 

Yes, I'm sure there are some not wanting to stick around for the "party".  I am one of them.

I fully realize it was tongue in cheek, hence the reason that no apology was required. 

I said plainly what I think the perception that Evernote is taking on Facebook is telling me. It says to me that a large number of people, lets say, many participants on this forum (myself included), are not Evernote's target. For the large number of users who do not comprise this new target (many of us here, myself included), the similarity to enterprise chat/collaboration tools is not self-evident because those are not tools we are likely to use. 

For Evernote's new target audience, the similarity to HipChat/Campfire, etc, should be reasonably self-evident because those are tools of the trade for the new target (which to me seems like start-up software and design firms....). 

The gist was simply that Evernote seems to have turned their heads towards a fairly specific niche, of which many people are not a part, hence the (in my opinion, but I think relatively clearly) erroneous assumption that Work Chat is taking on Facebook. To me that is an indicator that this feature is not going to be useful to many of us who are not part of the niche. That's all. 

UPDATE: I have realized, suddenly, that I am veering this WAY of topic, so I'm not going to pursue this further here, though would consider pursuing it elsewhere in a new/existing thread on this specific topic. 

I might not be seeing things clearly... dunno... but to me it seems that Evernote is simply diversifying. Apart from an unwanted (in some peoples' cases) Work Chat icon which can't as of yet be removed from Android and iOS clients, I think we pretty much still have the same Evernote. Premium users can turn off "Contexts". Unless there is a clear trend I'm not seeing, it may just be a case of more features... and thus we could simply take what is useful and ignore the rest. The only thing I am worried about, personally, is the eventual fate of public notebooks. It would be a crying shame to see them go, since I use them for some pretty cool stuff.

• 10 months later...

I'm a professional, individual, but low volume/storage user (≤ 60MB/MO).  I'd like to have all the features.  How about providing a less expensive ($10/yr) for low storage users?  That seems to be a fair price as I'm not using the bandwidth, servers, etc. 

I have a feeling that if you had access to all the plus/ premium features, you'd mot likely exceed 60MB most months. Generally the paid feature sets would require a greater upload limit for most. What Plus or Premium features would you most want?

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that the market dictates the price. My concern is about the hidden cost. I'm trying to sell evernote into my business and i've been asked what it will cost in data uploads. Does anyone know the average amount of data actually uploaded for an "average" user? I know " How long is a piece of string" but any help gratefully received.

Fair feedback - thanks.

I'm clear on the evernote pricing model but have been challenged on the data upload costs.

Yes, I'm trying to convince my company to adopt it

I've been a light user so I'm not sure that my data use is representative - hence the question.

I get the sleep analogy... but I reckon most people sit within the 6-8 hr period.... it's that kind of ball park I'm interested in.

If there is no "average" I'll publish my/our figures at some point in the future.... thanks again

• Level 5*

Just as another perspective,  the maximum upload per month is 10GB (single premium user) + 2GB (shared business use) - so 12GB/ month max per person.  There will be some who'll use it lots,  ad others who will use it only when forced,  and probably not to upload anything other than changes.  So: average use 6GB/ month on full,  trained use;  but all of your workers are going to be newbies for some months,  so light users - but a few will be populating libraries of HR information and company handbooks,  product specs and other stuff.  Still, a few at 6GB vs lots at >1GB - average 2GB/ month?

It's still a piece of string calculation,  but that might give you a possible maximum and minimum figure...  maybe...    :blink:

I start paying so I can have offline notebooks in my phone and tablet.

Mobile data cost (I have 4 GB incl. in my Mobile subscription (up to 4G), if I need more it cost app. $7/GB.)

And my home Wifi is at home. So instead of saving notes and and trippel check that all I need is in the right place, I start paying

I think the price for premium is fair. And I quite like the flexibility of Evernote's subscriptions. Right now, I am premium and I put a lot of notes from tutorials, blogs and Wikipedia in Evernote. Because of the size of these notes, the upload limit of a basic account is quickly exceeded. Hence the premium. But if I have a period of time where I forsee that I won't be do much clipping/adding large notes, getting back to basic for a while will suit me fine :)

Pre-Evernote everything that required me to dig some old paper from the cabinets took me weeks or months. Whether it was just looking up a number or checking some contract details, I always hoped that the issue would fix itself on its own. I ended up using employees doing this for me.

Now I simply enter a keyword into Evernote and I have the answer wherever I am. Without help from outside.

So $5/month is pure bargain. 

Disclaimer: you only learn to appreciate it once you really start using Evernote for everything.

Archived