Keyboard shortcut to set focus on list

Hey y'all,

I'm running Evernote on Mac and was wondering if there is a keyboard shortcut to move the focus to the list while in list view?

I searched this forum and the help documents but couldn't find anything (so please excuse if I was just too dim to find it ;-)

Thanks!

It seems like a pretty serious omission from the keyboard shortcuts.  If you get a better answer I'll be very interested.

The best method I've found so far is:

1. CMD+Option+F to Search Notes
  2. Return to move focus to Notes list

If you don't modify the search results then the search will be populated with the search for your current set of notes, and the focus will be left on the same note.

To go the other way, I have to do something similar to get into the note, because I can't stand hitting FN to hit the function keys.

You can do this:

1. CMD+F to Search This Note
  2. Escape to move focus to note body (really)

Or, you can do this

1. CMD+L to edit note title
  2. Tab to move to note body

It seems like a pretty serious omission from the keyboard shortcuts.  If you get a better answer I'll be very interested.

The best method I've found so far is:

1. CMD+Option+F to Search Notes
  2. Return to move focus to Notes list

If you don't modify the search results then the search will be populated with the search for your current set of notes, and the focus will be left on the same note.

To go the other way, I have to do something similar to get into the note, because I can't stand hitting FN to hit the function keys.

You can do this:

1. CMD+F to Search This Note
  2. Escape to move focus to note body (really)

Or, you can do this

1. CMD+L to edit note title
  2. Tab to move to note body

Thanks - that's a good start. Hopefully somebody knows a more "elegant" solution.

Cheers!

• 3 months later...

I prefer using CMD-J for jump to and then selecting the actually notebook I am on.  This will get you to the list so one can scroll through the notes.  This with conjunction with CMD-' (for selecting tags) and CMD-L (go to title) allow anyone to be a keyboard only Evernote. (CMD-Option-F is also rather helpful)

• 3 months later...

I had the same question for a long time, and came up with the following hackacious way to change the focus:

1. command-option-2 to switch to the list of all notebooks

2. command-option-1 to switch to the "notes" view (which brings you back to the current notebook if you don't select anything else at that point)

I defined a Keyboard Maestro macro for this and it works reasonably well and very quickly, though there is a momentary flash when it switches to the notebook view and back again.

However, in testing this against the suggested command-opton-F approach, I find the command-option-F approach slightly less disruptive, so I changed my macro to do that instead.

Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

I'm a heavy Evernote user since years, and what I'd like the most would be a simple shortcut to the focus between a note and the list it is in. I find it somehow weird that there's no shortcut, because isn't it quite common to go through a notebook to update/edit several notes one after another? I have to use the mouse all the time.

Edit: I'm not sure, if this is the same issue you guys were talking about.

• Level 5

This is how it will work in the next version of the Mac client:

Cmd-| (that’s Cmd-Shift-\) will move focus to the note list

When you’re in the note list, the tab key will take you to the title field of the currently selected note.

You can try this out in the latest beta (https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/66563-evernote-for-mac-56-beta-8/?p=300121)

When you’re in the note list, the tab key will take you to the title field of the currently selected note.

You can try this out in the latest beta (https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/66563-evernote-for-mac-56-beta-8/?p=300121)

Haha, just whe I needed it. Thank you, it works fine, although your shortcuts are really weird sometimes. Why not using Shift-Tab to go back through the panes? Thanks anyway.

• Level 5

Haha, just whe I needed it. Thank you, it works fine, although your shortcuts are really weird sometimes. Why not using Shift-Tab to go back through the panes? Thanks anyway.

You can use Cmd-L to get from the note body to the note title and Shift-Tab to get from the title to the note list.

• Level 5*

You can use Cmd-L to get from the note body to the note title and Shift-Tab to get from the title to the note list.

Adjusting, thanks for the info.

However, I hope you can appreciate that this is not very intuitive.  One would think that CMD-L would move the focus to the Note List.

Also, CMD-TAB, and SHIFT-CMD-TAB have been used in other Apps for years to move out of a TEXT AREA to the next/previous field.  It would be much more INTUITIVE if Evernote would operate like this.

Adjusting, thanks for the info.

However, I hope you can appreciate that this is not very intuitive.  One would think that CMD-L would move the focus to the Note List.

Also, CMD-TAB, and SHIFT-CMD-TAB have been used in other Apps for years to move out of a TEXT AREA to the next/previous field.  It would be much more INTUITIVE if Evernote would operate like this.

cmd-tab and cmd-shift-tab are actually OS-bound shortcuts for switching between applications using Mac OS's application switcher. 

I think the big challenge is that the tab key is used within the note editor for entering (mock)tab characters and indenting list items, so you cannot use the tab key on its own for navigating out of the main note text editor. 

• Level 5*

cmd-tab and cmd-shift-tab are actually OS-bound shortcuts for switching between applications using Mac OS's application switcher. 

I think the big challenge is that the tab key is used within the note editor for entering (mock)tab characters and indenting list items, so you cannot use the tab key on its own for navigating out of the main note text editor. 

You're absolutely right, Scott!  Thanks for catching/correcting my lapse of memory.  ;)

But my point remains.  EN needs to provide some shortcuts to move the focus out of the text area field to prior and next fields.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
On 10/11/2014 at 7:20 PM, ENnut said:

In Mac EN 5.6.1, you can use shift-cmd-| (shift-cmd-pipe) to move the focus to the list.

On 9/10/2014 at 2:48 PM, Adjusting said:

Does this still work in Mac Version 6.13.3? Doesn't seem to…

• Level 5
20 hours ago, isaac.joseph said:

Does this still work in Mac Version 6.13.3? Doesn't seem to…

It works for me in 6.13.3.

If you find it’s not responding to that keyboard shortcut, check for 'Select Note List' under the View menu; You may have the shortcut set to something else.

Archived