(Archived) Logging out and logging in some time later

nw221

I have evernote for Windows on two machines, one I use regularly, and one I use intermittently. The last time I logged out of the account on the less frequently used computer. Now today, when I log back in (after upgrading to 5.1 and maybe a couple of months after logging out) the client says I have no notes, and is attempting to download the lot. Is this normal? Can I download only some of the notes (like on the Android client?)

Thanks a lot for your assistance

• Level 5*

Hi - welcome to the forums.  Not sure what you'd class as 'normal' after logging in to a computer with at least 2 months' notes and one update on which to catch up.  Evernote might have decided that it's easier to reinstall everything than update the database.  It's not possible to download only "some" notes if you're using and logged into the desktop client.  You could give that machine a separate free account and share your main account with it - the notes you need could then be in a separate notebook,  and only the shared ones would download.  Or you could use the web client on that machine and not download anything.  Or you could copy the database EXB file from your main machine and replace the current (and 'old') EXB file on the standard machine with a completely up to date database,  no downloads involved.

I have evernote for Windows on two machines, one I use regularly, and one I use intermittently. The last time I logged out of the account on the less frequently used computer. Now today, when I log back in (after upgrading to 5.1 and maybe a couple of months after logging out) the client says I have no notes, and is attempting to download the lot. Is this normal? Can I download only some of the notes (like on the Android client?)

Thanks a lot for your assistance

Since you say you upgraded from V4 to V5, it sounds like it may be doing a standard database conversion b/c I think there are changes in the database when you move from version 4 to version 5.

Another possibility is if the notes being downloaded appear to be the correct notes, then it sounds like your exb file got deleted, renamed or corrupted. IOW, the app is behaving as though you newly installed the client on that computer (for an existing account with existing notes).

You cannot download only selected notebooks on the desktop clients like you can on the mobile clients.

In the future, if you want to quickly access the notes on a rarely used computer with the Windows client installed, you can copy the exb file from the frequently used comouter to the rarely used one. This works as long as the Windows client on both is the same major release. It may not work if they are two different major versions. IE copying the exb file for version 5 may not work if the other computer is using version 4.

Archived