(Archived) Markup with Skitch - Missing

eknraw

• Level 5

I do want to point out that we rolled it out in a beta and then pulled it before the GA. Part of the reasoning is that the beta community is much more limited than all of the Windows users. I don't want people to think that we pulled a feature from a GA release and held on to it. We pulled a feature that was in a beta and have been working on it until it's ready for the general Windows population.

Um, that doesn't quite capture the posters complaints I think.

You did remove a GA feature.  The Edit with Skitch functionality.  That was in use from more than several months back in GA.

It was displaced by Annotate in the betas.

Then removed in the betas while bugs were worked out.

Then a GA release came out based on the partial progress of the betas, but without backporting the edit with Skitch back in.

So to someone who skipped the betas, they went from one GA with edit with Skitch, to a GA without the edit with Skitch, with no insight into why it was gone, and when/if it would come back.

I received an email containing an additional reply to this post, but I do not see the reply on the forum.  Was it deleted?  If users disagree with Evernote's practices and question the Evangelists (as the other person did), will their posts be deleted?

Thanks for the flag Jefito.

First: as a forum admin (one of the very few, and only employees are admins) I have access to moderator logs on every thread.  And there have been no moderations made to this thread--at all. Second: I think that, reviewing the content, we can all agree that far more objectionable content has been posted on these boards before, and has remained up. And finally, all mods are instructed to not delete content unless the content clearly breaks forum conduct or a user has posted private information that should be removed. We keep a very firm line on this, and anything even remotely questionable is reported, then discussed, then dealt with by me. Merely objectionable content, kind of flameworthy, is generally closed off and still available for the public record. This is very much an open forum and we aim to keep it that way--the moderators are trusted with this role, and they have yet to break it in any way.

Double finally--we have access to this deleted content, and I can see that the user deleted this content immediately after posting. While we do not allow users to delete threads (that would be crazy and would cause too much chaos) users are more than welcome to delete their responses after a post has gone out. The fact that you all received the notification merely means that our systems are functioning as they should, and the user couldn't delete their post before the notification went out the door.

BasieBand--you've included your email in that shared note--I would remove it.

My apologies to all. I was responsible for deleting my own post. After clicking "Post" I realized it was not on topic (the topic being the missing feature, not Evernote policies or forum politics). Had I thought about the fact that those with immediate notification already had a permanent record of the post, and the assumptions people would jump to (that a Mod or Admin deleted it) I would have just left it.

I received an email containing an additional reply to this post, but I do not see the reply on the forum.  Was it deleted?  If users disagree with Evernote's practices and question the Evangelists (as the other person did), will their posts be deleted?

Thanks for the flag Jefito.

First: as a forum admin (one of the very few, and only employees are admins) I have access to moderator logs on every thread.  And there have been no moderations made to this thread--at all. Second: I think that, reviewing the content, we can all agree that far more objectionable content has been posted on these boards before, and has remained up. And finally, all mods are instructed to not delete content unless the content clearly breaks forum conduct or a user has posted private information that should be removed. We keep a very firm line on this, and anything even remotely questionable is reported, then discussed, then dealt with by me. Merely objectionable content, kind of flameworthy, is generally closed off and still available for the public record. This is very much an open forum and we aim to keep it that way--the moderators are trusted with this role, and they have yet to break it in any way.

Double finally--we have access to this deleted content, and I can see that the user deleted this content immediately after posting. While we do not allow users to delete threads (that would be crazy and would cause too much chaos) users are more than welcome to delete their responses after a post has gone out. The fact that you all received the notification merely means that our systems are functioning as they should, and the user couldn't delete their post before the notification went out the door.

BasieBand--you've included your email in that shared note--I would remove it.

My apologies to all. I was responsible for deleting my own post. After clicking "Post" I realized it was not on topic (the topic being the missing feature, not Evernote policies or forum politics). Had I thought about the fact that those with immediate notification already had a permanent record of the post, and the assumptions people would jump to (that a Mod or Admin deleted it) I would have just left it.

Thank you, GBarry.  And, Bryan Sullo, I also was not trying to provoke or accuse anyone.  I think your original post is valid and needs to be stated.  The frequent introduction and subsequent removal of features is frustrating.  And to constantly be reminded that no timetable will be announced is also frustrating.  How many businesses allow their employees, vendors, etc. to respond "we may or may not be working on it and you'll know when I'm done when I'm done"?  "It may be a day, a year or never.  And no, I will not indicate which."  But you may be correct, Bryan,   This may not be the appropriate spot for this discussion.

Thank you, GBarry.  And, Bryan Sullo, I also was not trying to provoke or accuse anyone.  I think your original post is valid and needs to be stated.  The frequent introduction and subsequent removal of features is frustrating.  And to constantly be reminded that no timetable will be announced is also frustrating.  How many businesses allow their employees, vendors, etc. to respond "we may or may not be working on it and you'll know when I'm done when I'm done"?  "It may be a day, a year or never.  And no, I will not indicate which."  But you may be correct, Bryan,   This may not be the appropriate spot for this discussion.

Apple is one example of a business that allows "their employees, vendors, etc. to respond "we may or may not be working on it and you'll know when I'm done when I'm done"?  "It may be a day, a year or never.  And no, I will not indicate which."

Google isn't too different either. Nor are the companies that Google acquires and which suddenly deprecate their product.

Microsoft has had its own share of this too. It has also made the promises for a definite timeline you want so badly for companies to make, subsequently failing to meet that promise. 

This phenomenon is not unique to Evernote. 

That being said, explicit mention that this feature is was being removed really should be clearly indicated in the release notes, I would agree that is really the big mis-step. 

• Level 5*

No need to apologize. I've had seconds thoughts and pulled back my own posts before. Once the question arose, though, it needed to be dug into, and hopefully Geoff's post put that to rest. As you decided to pull your post back, I'll spare you a reply, even though it was directed at what I wrote and not particularly un-topical in my opinion.
  • Level 5*

So, can we get this feature working again?  It has been months!  Very frustrating.   :(

As has been already been noted in the topic, this is already in the beta, and should be appearing in the next release..

I particularly like the fact the edits are non-destructive, meaning you can edit your changes at a later date and even go back to the original image (by deleting everything); also you can edit using your pc, tablet o smartphone indifferently. 

Good job!

Thanks,

Nicola

Archived