(Archived) Search seems to not work on .Jpg titles

I am new to Evernote and hit an obstacle that is puzzling me very early on. I added 4 items to a notebook including a random .Jpg titled Depression.Jpg and tried the search function to test drive it. Any searches I try for depression or any variants seem to come back as blank. This can't be right and I suspect I am missing something basic here. Any help would be appreciated since this seems to be a very basic search criteria. Thanks in advance for your time.

• Level 5*

Search doesn't work on file names,  just the title and content of the notes.  It's possible the note hasn't been indexed at all yet (it can take a day or two for free users).  Try "intitle:depress*" -without the quotes- to see if you can get a hit.

Wow. I am stunned. That seems to be a major flaw since it's a very basic and valuable search criteria. If the note contains an image / recording / attachment of any type whatsoever what would the logic be in not recognizing the original name for even more versatility? If you are trying to remember where something is or where you saw it the name of it might actually come in handy as another mnemonic. Is there a logic to this that I am not seeing?

• Level 5*

That's where notebooks,  titles,  tags and in-note keywords come in,  not to mention the content of the notes themselves. Why search for a complicated mnemonic file name if you're lookiing for a report and can just quote the actual title of the report,  no matter how long it might be?  You can search for file types - JPG / DOC / PDF etc,  and if the name of the file comes up in the title because you attached it in such a way that the default title became the filename,  you can search for the complete name or some part of it starting at the beginning.  

Search is a really comprehensive feature,  and is worth spending some time getting into - although when you get familiar with it,  there may be be new things to annoy you..

Hmm, a search for JPG under "search all notes" returns no matches. This is a deal killer for me. There's no reason whatsoever that the search can't return both the title of the report and the name of the attachment (if it matches) and let the user choose for themselves. It seems like if search is a really comprehensive feature one of the basic things that search looks for since at least windows 98 would be in there somewhere.

• Level 5*

For a quick overview of search try here;  for more in depth use this one - and "search" is different for each application running in Windows, and usually has little to do with the Windows Explorer search function you would find in Windows' previous incarnations. Being primarily a file manager,  WE had a basic requirement to find file names.  Search in Word or Excel outside of the File > Open menu,  and they don't find names either...

The difference is that Word or Excel don't put "Remember Everything:

Evernote apps and products make modern life manageable, by letting you easily collect and find everything that matters." on the opening webpage then leave that big of a giant gaping hole in the ability to do so,

• Level 5*

I was answering your point that this is - 

...one of the basic things that search looks for since at least windows 98...

- and pointing out that there's no single approved "search" grammar,  just a collection of similar, but different,  processes the design of which in this case didn't include something you're looking for.

Being unable to search for file names is not,  in my opinion,  a 'big gaping hole' and whatever gap it leaves in any process is easily worked around.  

Archived