Problems with password protected PDF in note

gchamberlin

I have a password protected PDF file in a note.  In the past (pre-version 5 when everything was green), I could click on the PDF icon in the note, and be given a dialog box in which I would enter the password.  Now, the note comes up but there is no sign of the PDF in the note - i.e. no icon, nothing to click on.   

I am using Evernote, version 5 in Windows XP. 

I have lots of other notes with PDF files with no password protection and those open fine. 

I opened Evernote Web, found the note, the PDF is there and I can click on it and get the password dialog and the file opens in the PDF viewer in the browser (Chrome). 

Any ideas on what is going on?  Is this a "feature" of the new version (g)? 

Thanks

Greg

I have a question - is your pdf document fully password protected, meaning that you created a password for the file outside of evernote, in an application such as adobe acrobat or are you talking about the partial password protection feature within evernote where you select parts of a note and then encrypt it that way? The reason I ask is because awhile back I was having a problem with password protected files that I had encrypted using adobe acrobat and my issue was never resolved by Evernote support therefore I had to remove the encryption from my files and just use their partial encryption feature which works fine for me now, just wondering, thanks.

Gaz, did as you suggested - same result.  I created a PDF file using PDF Nitro Pro and saved it with password protection in PDF Nitro Pro.  Created a note in Evernote and attached this PDF file to the note. When I open the note in the desktop Evernote (Windows), the note is there, but it is not showing the attachment at all.  If I go to Evernote on the web, find the note, it shows an icon for the PDF and when I click on it, it gives me the password dialog and then opens the PDF in the browser viewer.

Brian, as noted above, this is a PDF using the password protection from PDF Nitro Pro ( a cheaper but capable product that is compatible with Adobe Acrobat - Acrobat Pro will open and read the file) 

Using Evernote 5, Windows and Chrome browser. 

Greg

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Clearly I'm not using passworded PDFs very often.  I protected a PDF and added to my Evernote Windows 8 Desktop client by dragging and dropping the file.  I got a single line,  no file.  No way to open the file from the note although the file size went up by the correct amount,  so it's clearly attached.  I added a non-password protected PDF,  no problem.  Added the protected file using 'attach' from the menu and drag/ drop again.  Now up to three black lines,  no visible files,  no way to open them.  Synced the note,  no change.

Zipped the passworded file too - shows as an icon,  so that's a workaround until this gets fixed..

At some point in playing around I right-clicked and ticked 'show as attachment' and the lines turned into files again,  but I'm blessed if I can get that to happen again!

I'd say that's a bug.  I converted this post into a ticket,  so hopefully you should get an acknowledgement soon.

Edit:  Just for the record I password protected my PDF with the Adobe software (9.0) I got with my ScanSnap.

Thanks Gaz.  You did a lot more experimenting than I did, but the business with the lines is pretty much my experience with this too. 

Interesting about the zip'ing of the file working.  Also, another workaround is using the Evernote web app.  

I was going to file a support ticket, but since you already did, I'll wait to see if they respond to yours. 

GC

• Level 5*

Thanks Gaz.  You did a lot more experimenting than I did, but the business with the lines is pretty much my experience with this too. 

Interesting about the zip'ing of the file working.  Also, another workaround is using the Evernote web app.  

I was going to file a support ticket, but since you already did, I'll wait to see if they respond to yours. 

GC

You should get the acknowledgement of the ticket - I just converted your post into the report.  Let us know what happens!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am having the same exact issue.

The problem shows up on my laptop at home. Since I have the freedom to upgrade to the latest version of Evernote on my home laptop, the problem only shows up when I am home. I get the black lines where a PDF with a password should be.

At my work computer, where I need an administrator to allow my computer to upgrade my Evernote program, I see the embedded PDF since I still have the old version.

Please keep us posted regarding any changes as this is very annoying to work with at home.

• 1 month later...

I reportet this same problem with ticket 24536 november 21, 2013. Still not fixed...

What did the last correspondence with Evernote say? Since support desk folks are that - support & not (typically, AFAIK) on the development team, not every ticket results in a definite fix. In the case of a situation that requires developer time & effort, the conclusion to the support ticket may be on the lines of "thanks for reporting, we regret we are unable to fix this at this time but have informed the dev team of the problem & it's on their to do list".

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am new to this forum, however happened to be going through this post and came across another post with similar problem [and a possible solution].

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/36551-trying-to-save-a-password-protected-pdf-through-scansnap/

Don't know whether solution as discussed by "C6REW" in that post will help here, may be you wanna give it a try.

If you right click the document and click 'view as an attachment' you will then see a pdf icon which is your document. Double click on this and it will attempt to open and then ask for your password.

Hi,

I am new to this forum, however happened to be going through this post and came across another post with similar problem [and a possible solution].

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/36551-trying-to-save-a-password-protected-pdf-through-scansnap/

Don't know whether solution as discussed by "C6REW" in that post will help here, may be you wanna give it a try.

If you right click the document and click 'view as an attachment' you will then see a pdf icon which is your document. Double click on this and it will attempt to open and then ask for your password.

Sorry ... my bad  ...

I also got the same problem as stated by "Shlomoben" i.e. black line in place of PDF.

Bought my long due ScanSnap Scanner today and tried to Scan password protected PDF to Evernote and got the same problem as above. Too Bad. This sure appears to be an issue.

The stated solution does not work directly since Right Clicking the black line doesn't have option to "View as Attachement", however this solution still can be used with some workaround.

With the following steps I managed to get the PDF seen as attachement (so that I can double click to open it with password prompt),

• Hit Ctrl+A inside the Note (selecting the note contents [i.e. the black line])
  • Hit Ctrl+C followed by Ctrl+V within the note (overwritting the existing contents within the note [i.e. the unseen PDF])
  • Note Contents got converted to an image icon at this stage
  • Right clicking this icon gave me the option to "View as Attachement".
  • 1 month later...

My Solution was to attach the PDF's to a note. The Crtl+A, then Ctrl+C,   then press the delete key, so all the contents are removed of the note then press the Ctrl+V to re paste the note contents and then the surprisingly pop up again.  Before doing this make sure that the note is synced

This is clearly an issue that Evernote needs to fix, given the exposed contents of notes an encrypted PDF is the only partial way of securing the note details.

Sorry after the system Syncs this does not work in Windows

Other workaround: First insert the the unprotected PDF, right mouse click for "see as attachement", you got the usual Adobe icon. _Than_ open the attached PDF, make the protection, save it (live update), finished. In this way the Adobe icon stays in the note.

(Hopefully the old behavior will come with the next update ... tested with Win 7 64, EN-Desktop 5.4 Beta 2)

• Level 5*

Other workaround: First insert the the unprotected PDF, right mouse click for "see as attachement", you got the usual Adobe icon. _Than_ open the attached PDF, make the protection, save it (live update), finished. In this way the Adobe icon stays in the note.

(Hopefully the old behavior will come with the next update ... tested with Win 7 64, EN-Desktop 5.4 Beta 2)

There's an outside chance then that a step-back version of the note will include the unprotected PDF.  Not exactly a major exposure since you'd have to have access to the note,  and know that it was worth going back to the first available version of that note to see the contents.  And if you're quick making the changes Evernote probably would not have had chance to sync the early version of the PDF or back it up in the first place.

Roll on the fix - I found a couple of invisible PDFs today that I should probably do something about...

• 10 months later...

Archived