(Archived) stop recording local directory of attached file

Nishi

I hope Evernote don't record local directory in note.

1 attach file in note
2 File > Export . select "Export as file in ENEX format (.enex)" , click "Export"
3 open exported file in notepad
3 Search for "<source-url>"

Example "<source-url>file://C:\Users\****\Downloads\****\****.jpg</source-url>"

Evernote for Windows 5.0.3.1614

• Level 5*

It looks as though there's a link back to the original file although I don't know where that might be visible...  If you want to lose that connection you may have to save images somewhere neutral like C:\images before attaching to a note...

• Level 5*

If the note has a source URL (look on the note info), then that is saved out to the .ENEX file using the <source-url> element. If you don't want that to happen, you should go into the note info panel and delete the Source URL entry.

• Level 5*

Don't know whether it's helpful or relevant but I just did a search for notes containing "/source-url" and got 7 hits.  I have way more notes than that with URLs.  That search term isn't highlighted or visible in the notes.  Odd.

• Level 5*

I think I got that wrong -- a link (either a file link or a normal web link or whatever) is just an <a href=...> element in an Evernote document, so my Source URL tip wan't correct for the OP's case. As far as I can tell, though, the source URL of a note does comes out in the <source-url> element. Maybe there's a different element used in some cases.

Anyways, since the .ENEX file is intended to be used to transfer note content in and out of Evernote, it is faithful to that note content, and so it doesn't sound likely that they'd modify note content to remove local file references, since you might very well be using .ENEX file format to serve as a means of Evernote backup.

• Level 5*

I don't see though why it should be necessary to record where an attached file comes from - it's included in the database so why point to where it came from?  -Not that we've shown definitely that the source folder information does exist anywhere..  if it's a problem to anyone the best thing is probably to raise a support ticket and see what the experts say...

Archived