REQUEST: Shortcut for strikethrough text

Is there any shortcut for strikethrough text in Mac? In Evernote for Windows is Ctrl-T but I cannot find any shortcut for it in Mac. I use the strikethrough text a lot (to mark finished task, etc) and it's really annoying to do "Show Fonts" / click on the Strikethrough icon and select single.

Anybody knows a faster way to do it?

I really hope that the shortcuts/options between Windows and Mac converge at some point, It would make the life of those of us who use both clients easier. Also the set of default fonts for notes is different in one platform and the other. Which gives problems when using monospace fonts for examples, monospace text in mac doesnt look monospaced in windows. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=9468

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Level 5*

"Completely worthless"? :)

You could use a checkbox, or if it's something you do a lot you could keep the fonts window open.

Or it could be that Evernote is "Completely worthless" and in that case you will be better off with another application.

• 1 month later...

I'd like to add my vote for this too. I also use strikethrough a lot in notes (not just for marking items in lists as done) and find the current 6 clicks (compared with 1 if there was a dedicated toolbar button or 0 for a keyboard shortcut) a real ball-ache.

• 2 months later...
"Completely worthless"? :lol:

You could use a checkbox, or if it's something you do a lot you could keep the fonts window open.

Or it could be that Evernote is "Completely worthless" and in that case you will be better off with another application.

While "completely worthless" is over the top, your suggested alternatives are not all that viable for heavy use, either. Unfortunately, other applications which DO have the features to fill this need don't have that special online, cross-platform ju-ju that Evernote has or I'd go back to using one of those others. Specifically to your alternatives:

Checkboxes are hampered by the fact that you must manually place each one with either the hotkey or the tool button. This isn't so bad for a 5-point list, but if you're setting up a 300-line process script, then no, this isn't a good way to go. In other applications, such as Circus Ponies Notebook, even MS Word, one can start a bullet list where the bullets ARE the checkboxes, completely automatically - no need to place the checkbox, it's just there at the start of the line from the get-go. This is true in CP Notebook even when pasting in plain text from another application, ie, the pasted text automatically acquires checkboxes at the start of each new line. If Evernote had such auto-placement features, then using checkboxes would be much more attractive.

Further, even with the Fonts windoid open, there's still too many clicks involved to use the Strikethrough effect. Select & click/hotkey should be all it takes, which it does on the Windows version. If you're like me and don't keep Evernote open all the time, then using the fonts windoid is additionally complicated by having to reopen it on every program launch.

No, thanks, to either approach at this time.

While implementing auto-checkboxes may take some real developer time, doing a Strikethrough toolbar button or hotkey (or both) shouldn't be that big of a deal... there is already a working model in the Bold/Italic/Underline buttons on the Mac version, and as it goes in coding, once you have a good model, it's easy to apply it to situations that meet the same model (that whole OOPs thing & all).

Any updates on a keyboard shortcut for strikethrough in Mac app? I see Command+T gets me to Format|Show Fonts, but I am still two clicks away. I like the toolbar icon in the Web client. Can we get that for Mac too? Thanks.

:shock: A strikethrough button would be awesome, right between the bold and italics button. The little things can kill, and having to do all that clicking to get to strikethrough is a pain !

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, all!

New Evernote user here, I'm finding myself more and more gradually addicted: It's starting to work its way into my daily workflow in a very fundamental way.

I'm not going to pretend that not having a strikethrough button/shortcut on Mac is a deal-breaker, but I do find its absence annoying. More importantly, the question of why this simple feature hasn't been implemented in over two years makes me really wonder why. Is it an underlying framework issue? Is the OS X client a second class citizen? Does Evernote secretly hate their users under the guise of being friendly and supportive? (OK, ok: those last ones aren't fair, but hyperbole is fun.) I guess I don't understand the delay.

So, more positively: if this feature is implemented, I'll immediately go premium. Hoping others might do the same.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Command + Shift + X is not working for me.

(In TextEdit, MacBook black 15", Snow Leopard 10.6.8)

Also can't follow your instruction "View, Toolbars, Customize toolbars, Keyboard, (then select either Format style or strikethrough- under "commands"

There's no View in TextEdit or Font Panel. Tried Settings, Keyboard but no ability there to customise appearanace features like Bold, Italic, Strikethrough.

Sorry to be dense ! Could you step through it in more detail ?

• 1 month later...

One more vote for strike through, I use it all the time and considering that I use the Mac and Windows version

back and forth between work and home and not having it within easy reach as in the Windows version is really annoying

• 2 weeks later...

+1 on editor button and keyboard shortcut for strikethrough. The use case is quite clear (using Evernote to manage todo-type lists) and appears to apply to quite a few people. Note, even the cke javascript editor used in these forums has a strikethrough button. Making this easier and quicker in the app would be much appreciated!

I'm curious, though, has anyone worked out an alternative workflow for this use case?

• 3 months later...

Here is my vote for this feature.

As someone who has been a daily user of Evernote since '08 I still can't get it why this is not supported. When I first switched from Windows to OSX and found this feature missing in the Evernote client I almost went back to my old PC but decided to hang on since Evernote would probably fix it as soon as they found out it was missing. Now, more than a year later I guess it must be "by design". Or... "by OSX problematic design".. I don't know. Anyway, please fix it. It would make me *even more* happy user of this great app/service.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

+1 for a strikethrough button. I find it cumbersome to have a todo list built in a tree, where as it's quite simple to make a bulleted list and then just cross things off as you finish them. That is, if there is a short cut for crossing things off. Because there isn't, I never want to take the time to open up the font menu in order to select strikethrough, it just takes too long.

And of course as already mentioned, it's already on the Windows version, why not keep the UI's consistent across platforms?

And of course as already mentioned, it's already on the Windows version, why not keep the UI's consistent across platforms?

Features that are ready for one client would have to be held up a while until they're ready for other clients. In this case, if Evernote waited to get this feature ready for Mac, it wouldn't yet be on Windows, and the Windows client would be worse off. I'm one of the people who voices my request for more feature parity, but I'm generally glad Evernote rolls out features when they're ready for each client.

• 2 weeks later...

As I look through this thread I see roughly three years of "I'd like to see strikethrough" and yet it never gets added, nor does the Evernote team ever come in and explain why. It's a relatively simple problem. Strikethrough can be applied to evernote text through the font editor which comes from Apple. I believe it could also be scripted using AppleScript, if Evernote even supports Applescript. To not have this feature in Evernote after this amount of time is ludicrous. They are simply not paying attention to these forums.

And the earlier posters are right... the checkboxes stink.

• 2 weeks later...

I am in awe that this feature DOESN'T yet exist. It's been making me crazy and I have to do two times the work on my To Do lists in Evernote than I would if I could quickly highlight and strikethrough completed items. I'm having to cut and paste them into a "completed" column for workflow tracking/archival. SO ANNOYING.

Evernote, can you make this happen ASAP? Pretty please? Thanks. :)

Hi,

Evernote is such a great tool and I love using it on my mobile and Windows laptop. I just got an imac at work and discovered you can underline but not strikethrough. I see that this request and thread goes back to 2009.

Does evernote have Macs?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Level 5*

Shortcut with strikethrough would be great.  I believe google docs doesn't have a shortcut for it either.  What gives?  Seems to be in demand.

Is there some reason you can't use the existing shortcut of Control+Cmd+k ?

• 4 months later...

Archived