(Archived) Printing: page margins

OUseman

I've found how to turn off printing the various items that appear in the page header (Ctrl-P, Options), but I'm still left with almost 4cm deep top and bottom margins. Is there any way I can change this, as it's a waste of paper?

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion. The paper is set to the right size (A4). I can choose borderless, which reduces the margins to 2.5cm (1"), which is good, but for some reason leads my (HP) print driver to force duplex off, leading to a much greater waste of paper. I can print duplex with the margins of my choice in Word and other sophisticated pieces of software. Why are so many products so inadequate and primitive when it comes to turning bits to atoms and putting ink on paper?

• Level 5*

Epson printers here,  but getting output to look right without acres of wasted space is always a trial-and-error process in any app.  It's a general problem - otherwise there'd be no need for page layout software to combine text (Word),  pictures (wherever) and tables (Excel) into one professional document.  At the moment the only way to ensure layout is to use something like Word or Adobe to fix the presentation how you want it,  and embed that file in Evernote.

Then that degrades the value of Evernote significantly. I might as well use Word for the capabilities and Dropbox, Google Drive, Sky Drive or any other of a dozen cloud services for the access from multiple platforms. I want ease of use.

I'm feeling grumpy tonight.

• Level 5*

Life is always a compromise (I believe someone said..) - I do presentations,  newsletters and artwork which needs Publisher;  but backup files,  random images and final published versions are all stored in Evernote while I'm working on that project.  I also do training materials which are a lot simpler and more variable - and where I can I adjust the layout so it prints off reasonably well directly from a note.  Somewhere in between,  there are letters,  labels and tables that do better in Word or Excel,  though the final version and any backup material will wind up in a note.  As a premium member that means all the documents,  including the attachments,  are searchable in case I lose one,  or want to look something up quickly.

It depends entirely on your use case and your preferences,  but I don't see that any of the options you mention would be different from storing your file in a note - you'd just be storing it in a folder.  They have 'hard' limits - ie you're always working towards a fixed total unlike with Evernote where you have uploads but (as yet) no overall storage ceiling.  And they don't search attached files easily or at all should you lose anything...

• Level 5*

Yes, you're absolutely right: as I said, I was feeling a bit grumpy. I'm rather an Evernote novitiate, and still learning how best to use its functionality. Thanks for your comments.

No problem.  I spend a fair amount of time being grumpy myself...

Archived