(Archived) Help using Evernote for pending transactions

I am trying to learn this paperless life. So for example, I get an online receipt for registering my car, or transferring bank funds. I want to keep the transaction number until the event occurs, like I get my new registration tags, or the funds transferred are in the account. So I clip it into Evernote. I have a Notebook called pending.

Does anyone have a system or method for this? My method works, except  I have to go through and delete Pending notes periodically so I don't have old useless notes.  That is the nuisance.  Suggestions?  Thanks.

I am trying to learn this paperless life. So for example, I get an online receipt for registering my car, or transferring bank funds. I want to keep the transaction number until the event occurs, like I get my new registration tags, or the funds transferred are in the account. So I clip it into Evernote. I have a Notebook called pending.

Does anyone have a system or method for this? My method works, except  I have to go through and delete Pending notes periodically so I don't have old useless notes.  That is the nuisance.  Suggestions?  Thanks.

I don't know how else you'd do it. There needs to be some sort of action on your pending notes, either confirming the transaction is complete (& delete the note) or follow up. Personally, I rarely delete notes, even the ones where I make an online payment.

• Level 5

I like to think of Evernote as a digital paper trail of my transactions, so I don't want to delete information from Evernote.

They might be old, but they are not useless.

Instead of a Pending Notebook, the system I use relies on altering the Created Date to the actual expected completion date. This forces the note to rise to the top of the screen (similar to the reminder system). As the days go by, the note gets closer to today's date. I also insert a Checkbox into the note as a fail-safe to make sure it does not slip by.

pvdiamon - I'm confused. Are you saying you have a Note in Evernote that you don't need any more and you want to get rid of it, but you don't want to have to go to the trouble to touch it?

If that's right, what's going to make the Note go away at the right time?

There's no physical/electronic connection between the "event" that indicates that you no longer need the Note and the Note itself.

Thanks for the thoughts.  I suppose to do what I am looking for, I could put a reminder on each at the date I expect it could be deleted.  I am still trying to decide if it bothers me to keep "old" notes essentially forever as some suggest.

Archived