Monitor Network Folder - Import PDF's

PeterOR

Just beginning to play with automatic import of PDF's into Evernote. Works fine at home. However, I can't get it to function correctly in a work networked environment.

Basically you can't get Evernote to monitor a network folder. It seems network folders are not a supported option? 

In our work networked environment, users cannot access their local hard drive. Home folders are located on network shares. The folder into which PDF scans from our MFD devices are stored is a sub folder of the users networked folder... 

Are there any plans to add support for network folders?

Peter

I don't think that the folder change notification mechanism that they use supports network folders. See this thread: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/38018-problemsquestions-using-import-folders/. I don't know whether they will add support for this scenario; Evernote does not usually give out its development plans.

Thank Jeff... I had read that thread oddly ;-) I guess all we can do is add this onto the "feature request" stack and hope it puts in an appearance somewhen. In the interim, I'll scan to a network folder (We have some amazing scanners in work) and then copy to USB and place into import folder at home.

Peter

Just beginning to play with automatic import of PDF's into Evernote. Works fine at home. However, I can't get it to function correctly in a work networked environment.

Basically you can't get Evernote to monitor a network folder. It seems network folders are not a supported option? 

In our work networked environment, users cannot access their local hard drive. Home folders are located on network shares. The folder into which PDF scans from our MFD devices are stored is a sub folder of the users networked folder... 

Are there any plans to add support for network folders?

Peter

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s137/sh/9a5b37ca-4c3e-473d-bf90-816c7f4ce2b6/f4da0c331e6c19a9795c300a06246899

• Level 5*

I've run an import folder from DropBox so it or one of the other online options might work if that's feasible - otherwise could you run an IFTTT script or Belvedere ?  IFTTT could email PDFs automatically from your "import" folder to your Evernote email address;  Belvedere could move files automatically to a DropBox Import Folder...

• 4 months later...
  • Level 5*

I know this is an old old desire, but I think I have a decent solution. Use a symbolic folder link.

You need to open a command prompt in Windows with Admin rights. Then use the mklink command. Here is what I typed:

mklink /d Files K:\Employees\Files\TestFolder

I was in My Documents when I did this. The /d tells it this is a symbolic link to a folder, not a file. 

So now in My Documents there is a new folder called "Files" but it has a shortcut icon. When you click on it in Windows Explorer, it will be like that network file system is there on your local drive. Evernote sees it. Warning: Set all parameters correctly the first time. You cannot apparently edit. You'd need to delete and re-add to Import Folders if you wanted to change the "Import subfolders", the "import notebook" or the "Keep/Delete" setting.

Here is what is odd. In Import Folders, it doesn't show as C:\Users\Username\Documents\Files, it shows as K:\Employees\Files\Testfolder, and maybe that is why you cannot edit it as it is violating EN's Import Folder rules.

But it does work. I've only played with it a bit and haven't seen any ill effects yet. If I do, I'll post back.

• 4 weeks later...

With a change in the way we work at the office, I also had a need to do a File Import to a hard drive which is connected to the router.

Try as hard as I could, I was unable to find a way to make this work. I decided I needed to think laterally and change the way we normally operate.

By keeping, in this case spreadsheets, on one computer with shortcuts to the other computers that need to use them, we could work on the spreadsheets, save on our own computers via the short cut which in turn would save across the network to the computer which stores the spreadsheets. 

This computer has a File Import set up for each spreadsheet which in our case are in different folders and go to different Notebooks. Works a treat!

Regards

Chris

Archived