(Archived) Compare version history

• Level 5*

Is your note shared with someone,  or do you edit it on more than one machine?  If you "always" get a change message that doesn't sound good.

Comparing two notes isn't possible in Evernote without a bit of lateral processing.  You need to be Premium to see a note's history,  so one method is to allow a sync,  copy the content into a new note with a suitable title,  then step the note back to its previous version and copy that too.  Now use a word processor or another app to compare the content.  If they're the same you have a different problem - what's causing the message?  If they're different you can keep one or both versions.

If you're on the free version and this is happening with a specific note you could always copy it before you sync to get the 'historical' copy.

To give you a bit more background: I am a premium user of EN and the note is in a shared notebook. The participating users are regular (free), but registered users. And whenever they to change anything in a note, I do get after sync that message: "[username] made the most recent update to [name of the note] in your notebook [name of the notebook].

I think without a history or some (small) versioning the whole syncing feature is very difficult to use. And this prevents me to register my whole company either way for premium or business.

But anyway, many thanks for your answer, gazumped! 

• Level 5*

Have you tried the 'activity' link in your toolbar?  The one that looks like a radar dish?  If you've shared your notebook you should see notes about who's changed which note,  even if several people have change the same one.  There's no way in Evernote though to show one person's changes in red,  another's in blue,  or to apply any other versioning formats.  I don't use Business but I'd imagine that's the same.  I use Word to track changes to a document - you could always embed a Word document in your note?

I understand. Unfortunately we don't utilize Word. For us, the basis of everything is a plain text document. We don't think in formatting, but in structure. And since EN does not support any text processor like Markdown (or other) this is the next step away from EN. But that is another story…

Thanks for your help!

Archived