(Archived) Ok, I f*cked up. But, Evernote could be more forgiving

Bram Heerink

Idea

Today I did something stupid: I deleted a bunch of notes. After that I needed to dig through my Trash notebook to recover the accidentally deleted notes.

The error I made was quite trivial. I tried to perform a search in the search box. I clicked in the search field, hit cmd+a and then delete. A selection of notes went to Trash. Quicky I realised what went wrong. The click in the search field failed and the focus was still on the notes. So, I did not select all the parameters in the search field, I instead selected all the notes in the current list view and deleted them.

People make mistakes. But, software can and should be more forgiving. I was unable to find out what notes I deleted (moved to Trash). The modification date from the deleted note was not unchanged. If Evernote had updated the modification date I could have sorted on it and restored the notes more easily.

Also, I cannot remember Evernote asked for permission when I deleted a selection of notes. 

And, a deleted notes keeps his tags but if I restore a note it's put back in my default Notebook. Is it that hard to recover to the Notebook I deleted it from?

You can call me a moron. But, people are morons, that's why they have computers. And that's why software designers should design an intuitive interface.

Telling my story so you could share your ideas and perhaps our feedback could inspire the developers @ Evernote to redesign this delete workflow.

Regards,

Bram

3 replies to this idea

Thanks for sharing.

No-one calls you a moron!

I actually agree and ask for the following: Evernote, please give us real undo that works on all changes (including creating/deleting notes, etc.).

Because:

1) Mistakes happen

2) Don't use a warning when you mean undo

Real undo would be good (especially after you just realize you accidentally hit delete on a note rather than info, simply by clicking a few pixels to the right).

However: the deleted notes notebook has a special sort-by-deleted-date parameter. Getting them back if you realize immediately is not *that* hard.

Today I did something stupid: I deleted a bunch of notes. After that I needed to dig through my Trash notebook to recover the accidentally deleted notes.

The error I made was quite trivial. I tried to perform a search in the search box. I clicked in the search field, hit cmd+a and then delete. A selection of notes went to Trash. Quicky I realised what went wrong. The click in the search field failed and the focus was still on the notes. So, I did not select all the parameters in the search field, I instead selected all the notes in the current list view and deleted them.

People make mistakes. But, software can and should be more forgiving. I was unable to find out what notes I deleted (moved to Trash). The modification date from the deleted note was not unchanged. If Evernote had updated the modification date I could have sorted on it and restored the notes more easily.

Also, I cannot remember Evernote asked for permission when I deleted a selection of notes. 

And, a deleted notes keeps his tags but if I restore a note it's put back in my default Notebook. Is it that hard to recover to the Notebook I deleted it from?

You can call me a moron. But, people are morons, that's why they have computers. And that's why software designers should design an intuitive interface.

Telling my story so you could share your ideas and perhaps our feedback could inspire the developers @ Evernote to redesign this delete workflow.

Regards,

Bram

As JasperJ said, you can sort the trash by deleted date. NBD.

Archived