(Archived) 3rd Party Cloud storage of Evernote database

Hello,

Can I store my Evernote notebook database in a 3rd party cloud storage ie. my Google Drive account (my Google Drive account is locally accessible via a synced folder on my various computers)? I have the necessary storage space in my Google Drive account - other than possibly making Google mad with what I'm doing, is this possible/allowed by Evernote?

It is not clear why you would want to do this. Everything in evernote is already synced to Evernote's servers. If you need access to your content on other devices you can either

1) use the web interface if you are on a system you cannot install new applications on

2) Install the evernote client and have access to all of your content. 

Can you explain why you might need to store your database with some other cloud provider? 

It is not clear why you would want to do this. Everything in evernote is already synced to Evernote's servers. If you need access to your content on other devices you can either

1) use the web interface if you are on a system you cannot install new applications on

2) Install the evernote client and have access to all of your content.

Can you explain why you might need to store your database with some other cloud provider?

Local notebooks. But, it doesn't make sense (to me), if you have something in a local notebook if it's sensitive data, why you'd put the database in another cloud. OTOH, if one is using a local notebook b/c they are close to using up their EN monthly quota, then the entire database could be backed up in another cloud where they still have available room.

Having said that, in the past, EN has said doing this real time can cause the database to be corrupted. So the better option is to fully exit EN, THEN backup the database. That's what I do.

Local notebooks. But, it doesn't make sense (to me), if you have something in a local notebook if it's sensitive data, why you'd put the database in another cloud. OTOH, if one is using a local notebook b/c they are close to using up their EN monthly quota, then the entire database could be backed up in another cloud where they still have available room.

Having said that, in the past, EN has said doing this real time can cause the database to be corrupted. So the better option is to fully exit EN, THEN backup the database. That's what I do.

Yeah I thought about the local notebook thing, but also had the some conclusion, it makes no sense to kep it out of Evernote's hands only to toss it into google's hands!

As far as skirting the quota, I suppose that may be an interesting way to do it, but I agree, knowing how poorly database files can be handled by some sync services I feel like the very likely possibility of a database corruption isn't worth it! 

As far as skirting the quota, I suppose that may be an interesting way to do it, but I agree, knowing how poorly database files can be handled by some sync services I feel like the very likely possibility of a database corruption isn't worth it!

In theory, as long as you full exit EN & backup the database (in the case of Windows, the exb file), there should be no difference whether you store it on a hard drive hooked to your computer or a cloud. 

To expound on the monthly upload issue, one recommended practice (and I've done this several times in the past) is if you're nearing your quota & it's also close to your refresh date, why pay for an additional entire gig that won't be used?  IOW, I'm already premium, so if I add a gig, whatever is not used by my refresh date is "lost".  OTOH, if a user is a free user, when they upgrade to premium, their cycle starts on that date & they have the full 30 days to use it.

And I agree that trying to sync a live EN database that you're actively using with Evernote is not worth the risk of corruption. 

Sorry it's taken so long for me to reply back, I've been a little occupied with the CyptoLocker Trojan that's been going around - I own an I.T. Support business.

I understand completely about the database corruption possibilty, it's definitely not worth my putting data at risk due to this.

The other, more subtle, reason I was asking is because a few of my customers fall in the category of "know just enough to be dangerous" and, if they were to ask me if something like this was possible with Evernote, I could then give them a more detailed answer about it.

Thank you all for your assistance with this.

Archived