Console errors with web clipper

joeworkman

• 2 weeks later...

I am getting the same errors in my console as @joeworkman

[Error] Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 () (messages.json, line 0)
[Error] Failed to load resource: The file “messages.json” couldn’t be opened because there is no such file. (messages.json, line 0)

Safari Version 7.0 (9537.71) and Evernote Clipper 6.0.6

Disabling other extensions has no effect.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

We have a new beta which aims to reduce the amount of errors logged in the console. Appreciate if you have time to test it and let me know if the improvements are good. 

Get the build here: 

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s13/sh/b8c696b8-c8c2-46ea-8715-fbbcb808743d/d3822b24c27e1b8b959dddbabd149553

@jbignert

Thanks for the beta.  I just tried it using the provided instructions and I'm still getting errors in the log.   I did restart Safari after installing the beta plugin.  

EvernoteErrors.png

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

As of version 6.9.4 - I see this is still not fixed.

So f I want to use Safari during development and not have a console full of evernote-related errors, the only option for me is to remove the web clipper extension?

• 2 months later...

Same problem here:

[Error] XMLHttpRequest cannot load safari-extension://com.evernote.safari.clipper-Q79WDW8YH9/70a9eaa7/_locales/de_ch/messages.json. Cross origin requests are only supported for HTTP.
    a (port.js:2:2919)
    _getL10nData (port.js:2:3802)
    getMessage (port.js:2:3972)
    getExtensionID (Browser.js:2:109)
    initBrowser (Browser.js:2:758)
    Globaler Code (Browser.js:2:8675)

I have to uninstall the extension :-(

I still get masses of console errors too. Only thing to do is uninstall the clipper it seems..

155XMLHttpRequest cannot load safari-extension://com.evernote.safari.clipper-Q79WDW8YH9/1ab3e677/_locales/en/messages.json. Cross origin requests are only supported for HTTP.

• 1 month later...

I'm re-evaluating Evernote after a hiatus of several years. I was really impressed with everything until I noticed this issue today. These errors are a total deal breaker.

I'm also a little concerned about trusting a company with my private data that lets such a glaring bug fester for 3.5 years. Seriously. This thread was started in 2013! I really don't care if it's a third party library issue - it could have been re-written several times from scratch in that period. 

I guess Evernote wants to push people back into the Google ecosystem. If I'm forced to use their browser, I might as well use the rest of their tools. Too bad.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think I've found the issue: I've checked on my Safari (and Chrome) that 

navigator.language

returns "en-US", which after the transform turns into "en_US".

The problem is that under "_locales" there is only "en" (and other languages) but no "en_US".

So as far as a quick fix, you guys can either rename/copy "en" into "en_US". That wouldn't require changing the script itself. Of course a more permanent solution would be to fix the script.

Note to the Evernote Web Clip Team: don't ignore this thread. I feel like this is a issue that have been dogging Safari users for a while. Thanks for the help.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 6/5/2017 at 11:30 AM, Rodrigo Passos said:

I think I've found the issue: I've checked on my Safari (and Chrome) that 

navigator.language

returns "en-US", which after the transform turns into "en_US".

The problem is that under "_locales" there is only "en" (and other languages) but no "en_US".

So as far as a quick fix, you guys can either rename/copy "en" into "en_US". That wouldn't require changing the script itself. Of course a more permanent solution would be to fix the script.

Note to the Evernote Web Clip Team: don't ignore this thread. I feel like this is a issue that have been dogging Safari users for a while. Thanks for the help.

How od you 'rename/copy "en" into "en_US"'?

I found the /_locales/ directory in the following location:

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Extensions/Evernote Web Clipper.safariextension/_locales

--

Seems we're discussing two separate error messages in this thread... I'm not a programmer, so I've not a solid understanding of how they are connected:

#1: the error related to the language localization (original post by joeworkman)
#2: the error related to cross origin requests (added by Tschügge)

For me, duplicating the /en/ directory and renaming /en_US/ seems to work as a hack for removing the console log Errors in #1 (thanks Rodrigo Passos!).

After creating the /en_US/ directory, I then began receiving console log Warnings from BOTH /en/messages.json and /en_US/messages.json regarding insecure content.

These insecure content errors seem to trace back to a file named "port.js" and specifically to Line 152, which seems to be involved in a variable named "c" as defined:

var c = new XMLHttpRequest;

As jbignert noted, the port.js file is indeed located in the /third_party/ directory... however, the first line of port.js reads:

/*! Copyright 2009-2017 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved. */

FWIW, a second file named jsonrpc.js located in /third_party/ also includes the above copyright notice.

pic-console-port-js-line-152.png

pic-insecure-content-warning.png

pic-jsonrpc-js.png

pic-port-js.png

pic-third-party-extensions.png

• 1 month later...

Archived