(Archived) Search Term does not work correctly (source:web.clip)

jbenson2

• Level 5

I have 28,000 notes.

According to Evernote, 7896 notes were clipped from websites (using the following search term):

source:web.clip

The search term description:

"Matches notes that were clipped from a web page using an Evernote Web Clipper"

What is surprising is the huge number of web-clipped notes that don't satisfy the search term. Thousands more of my notes were in fact captured from websites with Evernote Clearly, but not found by the search term.

Not surprising at all. Evernote clippers/clearly/other apps populate these fields with their own moniker, as expected.

You will find that your thousands of notes that don't fit the web.clip search, will be found using the term clearly.

Web clip =/= clearly.

Look in the list view.

Web clip: web.clip

Clearly: Clearly

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s26/sh/fd9fe021-e904-40f3-bc0c-333e9a8981eb/67e0da7965970bd48b7597ca2ed55664

• Level 5*

Not surprising at all. Evernote clippers/clearly/other apps populate these fields with their own moniker, as expected.

Well Scott, it may not be surprising to you, but it is to me, and I suspect most Evernote users.  Whether a web page is clipped by Evernote Clipper, or Evernote Clearly, I think of it as a "web clip".

Don't see much utility in distinguishing EN Clipper from EN Clearly.

• Level 5*

Well they clip differently don't they. 

Clearly strips a lot of extraneous content, the Clipper doesn't so there is some value in differentiating.

Given that you and JB are heavy users and it's taken you till near the end of 2013 to identify this "issue", I'd guess it's not much of a big deal.

• Level 5*

Well they clip differently don't they. 

Clearly strips a lot of extraneous content, the Clipper doesn't so there is some value in differentiating.

Given that you and JB are heavy users and it's taken you till near the end of 2013 to identify this "issue", I'd guess it's not much of a big deal.

Regardless of the fact that they use a different technical means to achieve the web clip, they are BOTH still clipping a web page.

The only reason I can think of that I'd ever want to distinguish between the two is for some type of debugging Evernote.

From a practical, end user's POV, the most common way I need to use this is to find info about a specific subject that I got from a web clip, vs entering manually, or from an attachment.

The amount of time of reporting the problem is irrelevant to how big of a deal it is.  Unfortunately I have to put up with many Evernote bugs every day.  People may have thought they were getting correct search results for a long time causing them to drawn incorrect conclusions.

The point here is that the web clipper and clearly are two different applications with regards to clipping into Evernote.

The search grammar is there to help distinguish this, and so they identify themselves differently, as well they should. That is after all the point of this search term, to identify the app which the note was generated from.

source:[string] - matches notes that came from an application or data source that matches the argument string. Not all notes will have a "source" attribute. Standard source attributes queries include:

http://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php

So, source:web.clip works exactly as it should, and there is no search bug here. What you are wanting is Clearly to mis-represent itself when creating notes.

any: source:Clearly source:web.clip should solve all of your woes.

• Level 5

You will find that your thousands of notes that don't fit the web.clip search, will be found using the term clearly.

Web clip =/= clearly.

Look in the list view.

Web clip: web.clip

Clearly: Clearly

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s26/sh/fd9fe021-e904-40f3-bc0c-333e9a8981eb/67e0da7965970bd48b7597ca2ed55664

Huh?

The Evernote search term description:

"Matches notes that were clipped from a web page using an Evernote Web Clipper"

Can't get much clearer than that.

If the search term does not find web pages using an Evernote Web Clipper, they should not say it does.

• Level 5

Frankly, I am surprised you said that. Oh, I know - your response will be that I am just being overly sensitive and it was not meant to be a put down.

Yes, I do use Evernote a lot. But just because I tried a new feature (for me) should not be reason to ridicule my comment.

Archived