(Archived) Evernote for Windows 5.1.0 Beta 2

dlu

Howdy!

We have second beta for 5.1.0 this is a handful of bugfixes and some general polish. We have a good amount of bugfixes in markup and some general Evernote bugs. A notable addition is that Enscript users can now properly use 2FA right from the console.

Thanks for all the feedback in the previous beta, we'll be working on that as well.

How to try out the beta:

If you're on the beta track, you can go to Help >> Check for Updates.

Or download it here http://cdn1.evernote.com/win5/prerelease/Evernote_5.1.0.1926.exe

First!!! (I just had to say that, just once in my life).

A little skimpy in the release notes for this one, I think -- they were completely blank. :)

Thanks for catching that. Should be wordier now

Mine were blank, seems the html file that EN checks and uses is blank still.

http://update.evernote.com/prerelease/ENWin5/ReleaseNotes_5.1.0.1926_en-us.html

It is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote though.

I am finding the Markup button not work corectly and it also flickers when you move the mouse over it. Right clicking and choosing markup appears to work.

Mine were blank, seems the html file that EN checks and uses is blank still.

http://update.evernote.com/prerelease/ENWin5/ReleaseNotes_5.1.0.1926_en-us.html

It is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote though.

Err, ok the changes to the release notes should actually be published now. I had fixed it but forgot the last step

I am finding the Markup button not work corectly and it also flickers when you move the mouse over it. Right clicking and choosing markup appears to work.

Dang, I shouldn't have upgraded to this version. Markup was working fine for me in the previous beta. Now it just flickers and won't do anything.

Is the flickering the markup overlay on images or the entire markup window? We'll look into that. What OS are you guys running?

• Level 5*

Interesting: Ctrl+Shift+B used to begin/end a bulleted list. In this version, it brings up Skitch, seemingly in preparation for doing a screen cap.

Markup button behaves the same as Scott describes above. Win 7 Ultimate / 64-bit.

Interesting: Ctrl+Shift+B used to begin/end a bulleted list. In this version, it brings up Skitch, seemingly in preparation for doing a screen cap.

Do you have skitch running in the tray?

Normal bulleted list for me.

• Level 5*

Do you have skitch running in the tray?

Normal bulleted list for me.

Ack, yes. Skitch's default (and so far as I can tell, unmodifiable via UI) global hotkey for starting up with a blank SkitchNote is apparently Ctrl+Shift+B, which conflicts with Evernote. Awkward...

THanks, Scott.

all version(windows), problem is Obvious

1. mouse right click on child tag (not root tag),  popup menu  item,  not always show  'create tag in "xxx"...',  it  often show  'create tag...' :(  

2. image in note:  can't adjust size,    :angry:  :angry:

3. Screen clip:  why not  direct paste to  current note?   please give more option to let user choose the target.

I am having issues with the Outlook plugin. As in, the Outlook plugin is not showing up. 

Windows 8.1 64-bit, Outlook 2013.

I went to the COM Add-Ins menu on Outlook, and Evernote.Outlook was NOT checked by default. When I clicked it and checked Evernote.Outlook, I see the following issue:

post-92249-0-76057400-1385140242_thumb.p

I tried to leave Evernote.Outlook clicked, but when I restart Outlook it is once again unclicked.

When I go to the Add-Ins manager, Evernote.Outlook is shown as inactive. As shown above, I cannot make it active.

post-92249-0-02791100-1385140361_thumb.p

I think part of the problem is that a "location" does not show up for Evernote.Outlook:

post-92249-0-46570000-1385140440_thumb.p

Locations show up for all my other available add-ins.

How can I get the plugin back and working? I miss it!

post-92249-0-76057400-1385140242_thumb.p

post-92249-0-02791100-1385140361_thumb.p

post-92249-0-46570000-1385140440_thumb.p

This is a strange observation, and is not something I have managed to pin down just yet.

I have occasionally had the markup screen come up for me for an image/note that I have not opened in a long time. Just now it happened while I was working on another note. The markup window appeared for a note with an image.

Not sure what is causing it. Right now, I am guessing a key combination or perhaps a (very) delayed reaction to pressing the button? Need to try and track it down some more.

I've had this problem since I upgraded to 5 on this machine (Windows 8 64 bit, Outlook 2013).  Even downgrading to 4.7 has not helped (uninstall, reboot, registry clean, etc).  I put in a support ticket, but was told it was a bug, and that's pretty much were that ended. :/

I am having issues with the Outlook plugin. As in, the Outlook plugin is not showing up. 

Windows 8.1 64-bit, Outlook 2013.

I went to the COM Add-Ins menu on Outlook, and Evernote.Outlook was NOT checked by default. When I clicked it and checked Evernote.Outlook, I see the following issue:

I tried to leave Evernote.Outlook clicked, but when I restart Outlook it is once again unclicked.

When I go to the Add-Ins manager, Evernote.Outlook is shown as inactive. As shown above, I cannot make it active.

I think part of the problem is that a "location" does not show up for Evernote.Outlook:

Locations show up for all my other available add-ins.

How can I get the plugin back and working? I miss it!

This one was random.  I was working on a text note and when I entered to start a new paragraph, a markup window opened for an image from a random/unrelated note. I tried to recreate but couldn't.  Bug?

I'm not going crazy then. I reported similar on the previous page. Unrelated Markup window just appeared randomly. No idea why or how.

This one was random.  I was working on a text note and when I entered to start a new paragraph, a markup window opened for an image from a random/unrelated note. I tried to recreate but couldn't.  Bug?

I'm not going crazy then. I reported similar on the previous page. Unrelated Markup window just appeared randomly. No idea why or how.

Nope, you're not crazy. Not sure I can say that about myself.

As mentioned above by others, I have the latest Beta (Windows 7/64 Bit) and if I click the hoverable "Mark-up" icon where there is a photo in a note, it just flickers. Neither right- or left-clicking does anything....and the hoverable icon doesn't even show up on a PDF. Same exact behavior on my laptop, too (also win7/64bit).

How are we supposed to use the "in-note" mark-up feature? is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

As mentioned above by others, I have the latest Beta (Windows 7/64 Bit) and if I click the hoverable "Mark-up" icon where there is a photo in a note, it just flickers. Neither right- or left-clicking does anything....and the hoverable icon doesn't even show up on a PDF. Same exact behavior on my laptop, too (also win7/64bit).

How are we supposed to use the "in-note" mark-up feature? is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

That's a bug, thanks for reporting

I'm having a problem that went away, then came back with this beta.  I right click a note and select "copy note link" and it starts a sync (which shouldn't be necessary as I'm not asking for a share link) and the sync never finishes.  

Windows 7/64bit.  

I too am unable to launch Markup.  McShield antivirus is on (corporate build, I can't turn it off).  

Is another beta forthcoming soon?  I'm missing the ability to markup notes and I'd uninstalled Skitch when Markup was working.

I agree on the "copy note link" issue. I was in a 5 hour meeting yesterday where I was working with a bunch of notes offline. I wanted to link notes as the meeting went on but couldn't because I had no internet access (which should not be necessary as leeroid pointed out because I'm not sharing the notes externally).  After the meeting and once I had internet access, I spent an additional hour going over my notes again in order to make the appropriate links. In addition to the wasted time, it still felt like it wasn't as thorough a job as it would have been if I had the ability to make the links in real time during the meeting.  This has to be fixed!

I'm having a problem that went away, then came back with this beta.  I right click a note and select "copy note link" and it starts a sync (which shouldn't be necessary as I'm not asking for a share link) and the sync never finishes.  

Windows 7/64bit.  

I too am unable to launch Markup.  McShield antivirus is on (corporate build, I can't turn it off).  

Is another beta forthcoming soon?  I'm missing the ability to markup notes and I'd uninstalled Skitch when Markup was working.

A sync is necessary for note links. In order to make them work across different platforms, they need to be assigned a GUID from the server. They only have a local guid until synced (which would only work on the one machine if it was allowed to be used) So if you didn't sync and crated local links, they would all break later anyway.

Ever looked at a note link?

evernote:///view/3038058/s26/5c68f008-64a4-46d3-afc4-14457ded1c83/5c68f008-64a4-46d3-afc4-14457ded1c83/

The last two (identical) things are the note guid's assigned by the servers.

I.e. It is the way note links work, and has worked since they were introduced.

With regards to markup, the button on the image doesn't work. But you can still right click the image and select markup this image.

A sync is necessary for note links. In order to make them work across different platforms, they need to be assigned a GUID from the server. They only have a local guid until synced (which would only work on the one machine if it was allowed to be used) So if you didn't sync and crated local links, they would all break later anyway.

Ever looked at a note link?

evernote:///view/3038058/s26/5c68f008-64a4-46d3-afc4-14457ded1c83/5c68f008-64a4-46d3-afc4-14457ded1c83/

The last two (identical) things are the note guid's assigned by the servers.

I.e. It is the way note links work, and has worked since they were introduced.

With regards to markup, the button on the image doesn't work. But you can still right click the image and select markup this image.

So there's no effective way to work with links without internet access? Can I make a request then to have these links client-generated and sorted out through sync once there's internet access? I'm not holding my breath, but there it is. Thanks.

Wow, credit where credit is due! I just upgraded to the latest beta last night (5.1.0.2046 (270046)) and in this version, you will no longer need an internet connection to copy and paste a note link! Yes, I can link away even in places without WiFi.  Check it out! I'm very stoked about it. Geeking out right now. I'm not sure if you guys changed it because of the discussion in this thread, but it's there and I couldn't be happier. Markup is fixed, too! Thank you, Evernote! :)

Wow, credit where credit is due! I just upgraded to the latest beta last night (5.1.0.2046 (270046)) and in this version, you will no longer need an internet connection to copy and paste a note link! Yes, I can link away even in places without WiFi.  Check it out! I'm very stoked about it. Geeking out right now. I'm not sure if you guys changed it because of the discussion in this thread, but it's there and I couldn't be happier. Markup is fixed, too! Thank you, Evernote! :)

Really? I tested it offline here, and it tries to sync and fails to do so, also failing to generate a link. (as expected)

Are you actually in a local notebook? This will generate a link that will only work locally (I believe on that specific machine) if you were to ever move your notes.

EDIT: Also, further discussion about the current beta/RC version is probably best here:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/48670-evernote-for-windows-510-rc/

Really? I tested it offline here, and it tries to sync and fails to do so, also failing to generate a link. (as expected)

Are you actually in a local notebook? This will generate a link that will only work locally (I believe on that specific machine) if you were to ever move your notes.

EDIT: Also, further discussion about the current beta/RC version is probably best here:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/48670-evernote-for-windows-510-rc/

Yes, I tried it multiple times thinking it was some kind of fluke.  It's not. It's something I couldn't do a couple of days ago (as I posted on this thread).

I tested it again just now. I disconnected from WiFi, linked a bunch of notes offline, reconnected to WiFi then sync'ed. Sure enough, the links generated by my EN Windows client offline were on my Android phone and fully functional.

(Am I just special or should I be worried that it's a fluke that will vanish soon?)

Brand new, unsynced notes? Or notes that have already been synced?

The latter will have a guid, and so should be able to be linked. The former will not be able to be linked, as I understand it.

Brand new, unsynced notes? Or notes that have already been synced?

The latter will have a guid, and so should be able to be linked. The former will not be able to be linked, as I understand it.

Ok, I see what you're saying. I tried doing it again by creating new unsync'ed notes offline and it wouldn't create note links.

Still, though, I'm pretty sure I wasn't able to create links offline even with notes that were already sync'ed just a few days ago. Of course, I'm questioning my memory now after this little experiment.

Turns out I may have gotten excited over nothing. Nice break in the day, though. haha

I have the latest Beta (5.1.0.2046 (270046)) and I noticed that "marked Up" attachment using the new "markup" feature are not getting indexed.

​I really like how this new feature is seamlessly integrated in evernote and  find it very useful.  I think I will hold off on using it till the indexing problem is resolved.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived