Mac Evernote Clip Rectangle (Control-Command-C) not working

• 3 weeks later...

I am having the same problem. When I attempt to clip a rectangle, what actually gets clipped is offset by about 180px downward, so I have to draw my rectangle about 180px above what I'm actually trying to clip. That works, however sometimes part of the resulting clip is shaded, as if a dark low-transparency rectangle were superimposed over it.

• 1 month later...

Evernote still has not fixed this as far as I know,... but I have learned is that for me although the partial screen grab does not work when I have the external monitor plugged in,... when I remove the external monitor it works just fine for me.  This is the bug.  Might help some of you as we wait for Evernote to fix this.  Ugh.

I was having the same issue, though I've found out that it's only when I have a 2nd screen plugged in and their arrangement (in System Preferences->Displays->Arrangement) are not exactly lined up horizontally. It seems that the rectangle clip is affected by the difference in the vertical position of the 2nd monitor. 

It's still a bug, but at least I can get around it (though it's not ideal since the external monitor isn't physically level with the built in display on my Mac). 

For reference I'm running Evernote 5.4.4 on OSX Mavericks 10.9.1.

• 2 weeks later...

same issue here on a multi monitor setup.  started to be an issue august/september 2013 timeframe.  a new version must have introduced this bug as it was working fine before.  Hope Evernote's will to improve the product so it works as advertised vs adding new features left and right (announced by your CEO a few months ago) is a serious commitment.  This bug is a clear example of something broken that should be fixed ASAP.  An acknowledgement from Evernote would be nice.

thx in advance

• Level 5

This bug has already been filed internally.

My hypothesis is that the bug only occurs under the following conditions:

- You have a laptop connected to a thunderbolt display
- The monitors are arranged (in System Preferences->Displays->Arrangement) such that the top of the secondary display is higher than the top of the primary display OR the bottom of the secondary display is lower than the bottom of the primary display.

If you’re seeing this and the two statements above are not true, I’d love to hear about it.

Thanks for the reply - re-reading my original post and I'm more or less conformable with the conveyed tone - sorry if it came across weird.  Evernote is a great product, very often used in my case, easy to get passionate about wanting it to work the best it can.

Out of your 2 hypothesis, #2 is actually true for me.  Not so much for #1 however, as I have a 2 monitors connected to a MacPro (on via VGA and the other one via DVI) and this is where the bug is experienced.

thx again

Eric

• Level 5

Out of your 2 hypothesis, #2 is actually true for me.  Not so much for #1 however, as I have a 2 monitors connected to a MacPro (on via VGA and the other one via DVI) and this is where the bug is experienced.

Noted. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

@Jackolicious (Hi Jack!) This is still a problem even in the newest release (version 5.5.1). Since your note above predates the release date of version 5.5.1, it appears the lastest release did not fix it.

Is it still listed in the bug tracking as an issue?

I am seeing it on my Macbook Pro that currently has no other display attached BUT it is set up such that when I have it attached to my Thunderbolt display this one would be secondary and below the primary screen. Hope that helps.

Thanks!!

• Level 5

We have closed this bug as fixed and are no longer able to reproduce it in 5.5.1.

Are you saying that it happens when you have no other display attached? If so this is a new bug. Can you explain exactly what behaviour you’re seeing?

Are you using the AppStore or direct download version of 5.5.1?

• 6 months later...

Updated to latest version and this problem still exists. THIS SHOULD BE HIGH PRIORITY, as it is a BASIC FEATURE!  When it does not work, people who use it everyday will get very annoyed. To me, this is the only reason I use evernote!! Without this feature, I'm ready to uninstall. I can't see paying for something that doesn't work on a basic level like this, and it seems the problem has been around for over a year now, possibly even longer. Why hasn't this been addressed yet, it seems like one of the first things that should be fixed!

I am using a DELL S2409W monitor connected via Thunderbolt adapter and HDMI.  Similarly to posts above, the issue only occurs when the additional monitor is attached.  Changing the arrangement of the screens does affect the capture of the rectangle clipper, but no arrangement seems to fix the issue.  Oddly enough, I did not have issues until the last two Evernote updates.  Hope that helps.

I am using a DELL S2409W monitor connected via Thunderbolt adapter and HDMI.  Similarly to posts above, the issue only occurs when the additional monitor is attached.  Changing the arrangement of the screens does affect the capture of the rectangle clipper, but no arrangement seems to fix the issue.  Oddly enough, I did not have issues until the last two Evernote updates.  Hope that helps.

I'm using a DELL U2412M at home and U2312HM in the office, both are used to connect to Apple Macbook Pro (late 2013) running Maverick 10.9.5. I connect display to Macbook pro via thunderbolt adapter and DVI cable. With either Dell display I have, I can easily recreate the problem when in dual display mode, either doing screen capture on DELL display or on Macbook pro retina display.

It seems that this display rectangle capture happened before in old version, and had been fixed before we upgrade to 6.0 (so 5.X version should be OK without this issue), but we can't fallback to prove it.

@Jackolicious @Adjusting

I'm having the same issues...  Dell Monitor S2340Mc, HDMI connection to my MacBook Pro 13", OSX 10.9.5.  The Rectangle Screen Capture misses... it just started happening Tuesday when I updated to the latest version of Evernote version 6.0.3 (451151 App Store).

Happy to help, this is really lame... I now have to estimate how much extra space to clip, when I'd really like to just clip where the box is.  Thanks for your help, feel free to reach out if you need more info.

Screenshots 

About Evernote (I tried to clip the window exactly...): https://www.evernote.com/l/AAZXc1Tdm6FEOKl4tuLVEX8jV0J08LQyQSM

Monitor Arrangement: https://www.evernote.com/l/AAYgSS0uHrVE-5AUCM7SvNKinrZfJNwRrRA

About this Mac: https://www.evernote.com/l/AAaeu2Bed9lIh4YvQ-8f6moJcFg7pbG4T4E

• 2 weeks later...

Ditto. I've been very frustrated by this for months now. The fix for this subtle but important variation is NOT in the latest version (6.0.5) using MacOS and a DVI monitor.

The clues above helped me to isolate the problem however which may be a test escape in Evernote's testing. 

- Arrange monitors side-by-side: no problem

- Arrange monitors top/bottom (especially useful in a standing desk arrangement): The clip attempts some level of mirrored space below.

See details here: https://www.evernote.com/l/AAJOflmCm5hBgKipgH_r6GCx4QB8tVtO8PY

Happens 100%

BTW, special thanks to this thread for suggesting the painful, though useful, workaround to temporarily tell the displays panel that my monitor arrangement is side by side so that I can get some specific task done. My other alternative was to use screen capture (command-shift 4) when I had my computer attached to the external monitor (even more painful).

I am having the same issue with the Clip Rectangle function on a system with the following details:

Mac OSX Yosemite

Macbook pro using Retina display + HDMI + Thunderbolt monitors (three displays)

Note: One of the displays is set up to a 'vertical' configuration mode (arranagement of all three displays can be seen here: https://www.evernote.com/l/ABPEHx1rlMJLWI-IZ9KxC_PM0oC76Fr6Io4 )

Evernote 6.0.5 via app store

I can clip full screen but when I attempt to clip rectangle it is blank or shows something that was not part of what was selected.

Of interest, this had been working for me previously. I'm unfortunately not sure when it ceased to work: it may have ceased when I changed my monitor orientation or it may have ceased after an Evernote update (also possible that it ceased after upgrade to Yosemite).

• 3 weeks later...

I am having the same problem.  It did not appear until I upgraded to the latest version (6.0.5)

Mac OSX 10.8.5

Macbook pro connected to an Apple Thunderbolt monitor

Evernote 6.0.5

I can clip a window, but when I clip a rectangle the coordinates are off so that I get an image from a separate part of the screen.  Occasionally, it clips a blank rectangle (which I assume is a coordinate issue again.)

I noticed that the problem disappears when I don't have the external monitor.

We can't reproduce this. Can you tell us about your monitor configuration? 

Hey, there @Jackolicious, I'm wondering if you or your QA team can update us based on the feedback to the "can't reproduce" point. I think we've now given you enough so that it's 100% reproducible. It's such an annoying paper cut.

Oh, and perhaps you can buck for a second monitor yourselves just to be sure it doesn't creep in again later (do us a favor and install it so that the display appears above your main monitor -- then we'll know you'll spot this bug the next time.)

Enquiring minds...

Cheers,

b

We can't reproduce this. Can you tell us about your monitor configuration? 

Hey, there @Jackolicious, I'm wondering if you or your QA team can update us based on the feedback to the "can't reproduce" point. I think we've now given you enough so that it's 100% reproducible. It's such an annoying paper cut.

Oh, and perhaps you can buck for a second monitor yourselves just to be sure it doesn't creep in again later (do us a favor and install it so that the display appears above your main monitor -- then we'll know you'll spot this bug the next time.)

Enquiring minds...

Cheers,

b

Yeah, agree!

• 1 month later...

I am having the same issue.  I am running an Imac with two displays - a Cinema display off the Mini-port and an external USB 2.0 video adapter to a DVI monitor.  The clipper is offset vertically such that I have to guess at clipping about 1/2 inch higher than the actual selection I want to grab.   Horizontial is fine.  

Any advice or feedback would be appreciated!

• 1 month later...

Noted. Thanks.

This is definitely happening to me. I have an external display in which the bottom of the display is lower than the bottom of my mac's display and the screen clipper is clipping lower than my target area.  Please let me know if you have found a fix on this yet. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, knock me over with a feather. I really didn't expect it to be fixed, but hooray!! with 6.0.11 it is fixed for me. My issue seemed to be determined by the placement of the primary monitor below the secondary monitor.

Finally, it works with abandon. Hooray!!

• 1 year later...
  • Working with Evernote 6.8 on a Mac OSX El Capitan 10.11.3 Retina 15".
  • Recently updated Evernote software.
  • having built-in monitor 1920x1200,  ASUS 4K @ 1920x1200 and an ASUS FullHD 1920x1080 running
  • FullHD via DisplayPort, 4K via HDMI (not using 4K here on purpose)
  • built-in is arranged bottom directly below the 4K which fits perfectly. The FullHD is arranged beside the 4K and is overlapping the built-in a bit
  • my shortcut it ctrl + cmd + c

The clip rectangle function is again not working. It worked before the update and i am really annoyed. This is the main purpose why I am using evernote and if thats not working there is no further reason to use it.

Would be nice to check that and fix it.

Hey @sliwalker, if it's at all helpful, I'm using 

• Version 6.8 (453749 App Store, that's the latest I think too), with
  • El Capitan 10.11.6, Macbook Pro (15", mid-2010, older than yours) with
  • an external 24" monitor placed above my MacBook (see the thread above, this was a key problem for me a while back).

It's working for me now and has been since the update 6.0.11. I agree with you that this function alone is incredibly useful and one of the key reasons I use Evernote daily. I suggest you explore monitor placement or perhaps updating your MacBook. I feel your pain.

Good luck! 

Archived