Encrypted pdf's not retrievable from Windows Desktop

Doctorphil

I don't know how long this has been happening, but I am now noticing that when I encrypt a pdf in Evernote (encrypting with Adobe Acrobat), the pdf is no longer visible or retrievable in the Windows Desktop.

I can still open them the web version, and on my iPhone and iPad, so I know they still are in there -- but I can't get them from Windows desktop.

Is there a fix for this?

• Level 5*

Hi - welcome to the forums.  When you say "not retrievable",  what exactly are you seeing when you open the note?  If you get an icon,  click the icon,  supply the password,  and you should see the PDF in its full glory.  If it worked any other way there wouldn't be much point in encrypting the content.  If some thing else is happening - details please?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I just started snanning senstive documents, and tried encrypting some in Acrobat, and it does the same thing.  Evernote Windows just shows a horizontal line.  There's nothing to click on that allows me to view or open the pdf.  Has anyone resolved this?

I brought this up the early part of December and after some discussion here, Gaz filled a support ticket on my behalf.  Evernote support got back to me after a bit and suggested I uninstall and then reinstall Evernote and this should solve the problem (I am seeing this problem in Evernote for Windows).  What with the holidays and all that was going on, I have not had a chance to do this - its on the schedule for this weekend.  Might want to give it a try. 

I brought this up the early part of December and after some discussion here, Gaz filled a support ticket on my behalf.  Evernote support got back to me after a bit and suggested I uninstall and then reinstall Evernote and this should solve the problem (I am seeing this problem in Evernote for Windows).  What with the holidays and all that was going on, I have not had a chance to do this - its on the schedule for this weekend.  Might want to give it a try. 

I have unstalled/reinstalled Evernote, as well as my PDF software, and I am still having this same problem. It was working fine for me up until 4-5 months ago, it seems.

Can anyone confirm whether this fixes the issue for them or not?

I have the same issue, even after a re-install. I can e-mail the "blank" note to myself and open the attachment! However, as noted by others I can only see a dark line in Windows in evernote and cant see or access the encrypted (originally in adobe) attachment.  

My ticket was 234574. I went back and forth with support and followed their advice. I finally got a reply on November 27 that this issue was being caused by a bug, and that they have filed an internal bug report with the QA team lead.

I have heard nothing since.

My ticket was 234574. I went back and forth with support and followed their advice. I finally got a reply on November 27 that this issue was being caused by a bug, and that they have filed an internal bug report with the QA team lead.

I have heard nothing since.

If it's been determined to be a bug, you probably wouldn't hear anything except after ~10 days would have received an email that your ticket has been closed. After all, support has done everything they can do. The rest is up to the dev team. The bug will be prioritized and fixed, based upon that.

• 4 weeks later...

Solution Found!

I received an email from Evernote Support today instructing me to "go to your Tools>Options>Notes and mark the option 'Always show PDF file as attachment'".

I did so, and it worked. I don't know if that solution has been available to us the whole time, or if someone at Evernote added the option as part of the most recent update, but in any event, it fixed the problem.

Unfortunately, That is not a good solution. When you go to tools>options>Notes, It makes every PDF an attachment.  I have PDFs that I like to view inline and some I like to be viewed as attachments (encrypted PDFs).  They need to fix the bug that shows the encrypted PDF as a "line" and show it as an attachment.

The only temporary work around that I have found is to attach the PDF "unencrypted" (do not sync), select "view as an attachment", then encrypt PDF. Sync after encrypted. NOT OPTIMAL.

Support ticket filed #365710

• Level 5*

Support have said it's being looked at - no guarantees how long that may translate into an actual fix (and Evernote are unlikely to say..) meantime the workarounds are at least an option.  Agreed though that encrypting a PDF after you send it to Evernote is not notably secure - apart from the data being sent around,  the unencrypted version may still exist in an early version of the note.

• 3 months later...

Archived