Linking to a file outside Evernote?

Hello, 

I've always wanted to be able to create a link from inside Evernote to a file stored elsewhere on my computer (i.e. not in Evernote).

For example, I have several spreadsheets and other text documents on my hardrive that I mention in my notes inside Evernote. It would be INCREDIBLE if there was a way to create a clickable link to those files!

Is there any way to do that?  :) I'm using a Mac, in case that helps.

Thank you very much in advance. 

BertieTBE

Found two solutions for Mac users. Works perfectly! The first...credit to JMichael - takes a bit longer to set up but means you can create a clickable text hyperlink directly to your file. The second option I discovered works too. Very easy but you can't integrate your link into your text. 

Method 1 

How to set up the service and keyboard shortcut:

Method 2

Drag the file you want to link to your note where you want the link to appear. This will create a clickable box linked to your file. Double clicking the box will open it. 

Hope that helps. 
  • 1 month later...

Thanks very much Bertie for linking to this great trick.

Unfortunately, for some reason it won't work for me. The automator shortcut works fine, but when I type "file://" followed by the pasted file URL, Evernote won't let me "OK" the link. It doesn't seem to register as a real link.

Do you know what might be the problem?

Thank you in advance for your help!

P.S. I didn't really understand your second method. Do you mean simply drag the file into an EN Note? Because that attaches the whole file to the note - I suppose I must be misunderstanding you!

"when I type "file://" followed by the pasted file URL, Evernote won't let me "OK" the link"

When you paste it in, for some reason it doesn't add the right extension that tells Evernote it's a file (and not a web URL. You need an extra /

Add file:// to the begining of your link. 

Your file path link should start like this:

file:///Users/YOUR Computer name/......

The second method just imports the file into Evernote, which isn't as good because if you change that fine elsewhere, it doesn't change in Evernote. 

Hope that helps. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Everyone - When I try doing this to insert a link to a file, Evernote does fine with the link, but when I click the link I'm told, "Application not available."  I get this error no matter what type of file I'm linking to.  Any ideas what's going on?

• Level 5*

Hey Everyone - When I try doing this to insert a link to a file, Evernote does fine with the link, but when I click the link I'm told, "Application not available."  I get this error no matter what type of file I'm linking to.  Any ideas what's going on?

What OS are you using?  And are you clicking the link on the same device that stores the file?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi there

I have been avidly reading all your posts re getting a link to a computer file into an EverNote.  I think I have the correct format but when I click on the link in the EverNote, it just turns red and does not go anywhere.

I have Windows 8 & I am using my desktop version of Evernote.

Does anyone have an idea of what I am doing wrong?  It is a long link.  Is there a limit to the number of characters?

Thanks.

• Level 5*

Are you linking to a file on the same computer,  or on a remote server?  Try creating a shortcut to the file on your Windows desktop and drag that into a note.

What OS are you using?  And are you clicking the link on the same device that stores the file?

Thank you for your reply Guzumped, I just wanted to let you know I have a family emergency & just can't deal with this right now.  Sorry to have bothered you.  Ill' be back!

• 6 months later...

ll,

it would appear that Evernote have removed this important feature without any explanation - how disappointing. See note from Support below:

Alvin C. (Evernote Support) 

Oct 17 15:12 

Thanks for the clarification,

Upon reaching out to our Technical Support Team and testing this out, that feature to support Filepaths is no longer available.

The reasons that they were removed were not disclosed to me.

However, i would be more than happy to help pass along this Feature Request to our Product Team to bring this feature back.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with today?

Cheers, 
Alvin C.

GJE2002Oct 17 00:29 

Alvin, 

Hi yes the link I sent below was an example of the problem but here is another one as well. Also as stated in my original email I am on version 5.6.1 for the Mac. I’ve pasted a screen shot below for build version I guess. If I check for updates it says it’s the latest version. 

I’m not sure what you mean by a sample link with a “-“ in it, the problem I think is when there is a space in the file name.

So here’s what I do / the example: 

Fine path to original file on my machine which if I cut and paste into a browser will open that file:

/Users/gje2002/Documents/Box Sync/Work/Project Control Templates/Change_Request_Template.doc

However if I create a Hyperlink in Evernote and paste the file path and name in then add "file://“ in front so that the OK button enables – the pathname changes and it gets %20 added for the spaces. Series of screenshots below:

1) Path name pasted but before "file://“ inserted in front: 

2) Now inserting “file://“ in front and OK enables: 

3) I select OK and close but the link in Evernote does not open any file when selected (it does get the hovering hand so that it thinks it’s a link). If I then right click on the link and select edit link it looks like this:

As you can see it’s replaced all spaces with %20 

The same behaviour is experienced if I drag the file and drop it onto the Enter web address link box.

• Level 5*

This feature (external file linking) was REMOVED in EN Mac 5.6 for "security reasons".

There were many complaints in the EN Mac 5.6 Beta threads.

The "security issue" ostensibly occurs when a Note with the link is shared.

The EN solution is just lazy.  They are taking the easy way out without considering the impact on the many users who rely on this feature.

EDIT:  I just found my reference.  This feature was removed in EN Mac 5.6 Beta 10.

See https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/67918-bug-file-links-broken-in-560/?p=305094

[i also posted this to the other topic mentioned above, but repeat it here to save people checking both topics]:

Links in existing notes do still work in EN 5.6.1 (on the Mac client at least), but it requires right-clicking on the link, then selecting "Open URL" from the drop-down menu (annoyingly, it's right at the bottom!).

• Level 5*

[i also posted this to the other topic mentioned above, but repeat it here to save people checking both topics]:

Links in existing notes do still work in EN 5.6.1 (on the Mac client at least), but it requires right-clicking on the link, then selecting "Open URL" from the drop-down menu (annoyingly, it's right at the bottom!).

Well, it that's true, then there is no point (from a security perspective) to removing the feature.

• 2 months later...

For Windows XP simply go to the file then right click (you can access this from Recent Documents if it was 'recent') then > Send to: 'Evernote'. This will create a note in Evernote and by double clicking on the icon the file opens. Does that answer your question?

Archived