How Do I Disable Autocomplete?

Anon Evernote User

Idea

Loving Evernote (Premium) but Autocomplete was driving me bananas so I tried to find a solution in the archives. The only thing I found was that you can't turn off autocomplete.

It turns out that if you are using a Mac, Evernote's autocomplete is disabled when you disable the Mac's globabal autocomplete system preferences > text > keyboard: don't check spelling automatically.

YMMV, but this may help someone else...

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Loving Evernote (Premium) but Autocomplete was driving me bananas so I tried to find a solution in the archives. The only thing I found was that you can't turn off autocomplete.

It turns out that if you are using a Mac, Evernote's autocomplete is disabled when you disable the Mac's globabal autocomplete system preferences > text > keyboard: don't check spelling automatically.

YMMV, but this may help someone else...

Hi. Thanks for that. I think most people probably think auto-complete refers to the auto-completion of searches, so that might be the reason why it was said that you cannot turn it off. Maybe I am wrong. At any rate, your advice is helpful and appreciated!

You can, of course, turn off all of the auto-annoying stuff in the Mac settings. I'm fine with them as the default, because I am sure people like them, but I am glad Apple still lets us control our text. I fear one day that they'll take it away in order to "help" us!

• Level 5*

Does anyone know if there is a PC solution? I dislike the autocomplete feature in EN Search. Not worried about bugs or slow behavior, I'm just annoyed by more screen activity :-). Is there a way to turn off on a PC? Thanks.

For auto-complete, I don't know, but incremental search can be turned off in the registry (I don't have the link on hand -- search the boards), so I imagine it is possible to turn it off. From what I can tell (join spg scott's notebook to find out more), Windows is very customizable.

Archived