Evernote 5.0.3.1614 Crashes on Windows 8

heyDian

Hello,

I'm experiencing a problem with Evernote 5.0.3.1614. It crashes on my Windows 8 (the desktop, not the Metro one). All. The. Time.

I have re-installed the app twice, the same issue still occurs.

Where can I find the older version?

Note: I don't really like using the Evernote Touch for Windows 8. 

• Level 5*

Hi - I have the same Evernote version running very happily on my Win 8 desktop.  I don't use the Touch version either.  When you uninstalled Evernote,  did you use Revo Uninstaller to clear out all the related files?  If not,  I'd suggest you try that first.  If you still see crashing,  try setting up a new free account to see whether it's something in your existing notes that's causing the issue.  Also check how much free disk space you have.

• 5 months later...

Gazumped!! I've always heard the definition of "crazy" is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Please help me understand why uninstalling/reinstalling the same package over again on the same computer will solve some of these technical issues. I've been having SYNC issues since NOVEMBER on my new Lenovo Win 8.1 and I've uninstalled/reinstalled probably over 30 times. I started feeling "crazy" a while back!! ;-)

• Level 5*

Gazumped!! I've always heard the definition of "crazy" is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Please help me understand why uninstalling/reinstalling the same package over again on the same computer will solve some of these technical issues. I've been having SYNC issues since NOVEMBER on my new Lenovo Win 8.1 and I've uninstalled/reinstalled probably over 30 times. I started feeling "crazy" a while back!! ;-)

Well - I'm not crazy.  (Of course the Voices told me to say that...)  But it seems to me that random errors can creep in to obscure Registry settings that derail normal operations,  and because Windows' normal uninstall process only gets rid of those bits of code that are standing up waving a red flag shouting "I'm Spartacus",  the obscure registry entries can still lurk happily in the background and confuse your application when you install the new version and try it again.  That's why we trail Revo Uninstaller a lot - it hunts down and kills all the relevant add-ins and hangers-on and leaves a green field upon which to start afresh.

It can be necessary to do that more than once since the reinstall may go badly for no other reason than there was noise on the line when you downloaded the new package,  and if at first you don't succeed.. well,  just give it another couple of tries at least.  And if they say you're crazy,  you can tell 'em they're obviously ignoring basic Registry Hive Dynamics.

Having said that (as they say) 30 reinstalls would seem to indicate a slight overenthusiasm for the process,  and the possibility that something else is your real problem.  As I indicated already I'm on 8.0 still,  and although I did have some syncing issues they have -touch wood- gone away.  If you haven't already raised a support ticket (see below) you should certainly do so,  and if you haven't Revo'd,  give that a shot.

With your expertise in this area you'll know that you should get backups of databases,  export unsynced and local notes and generally do some safety housekeeping - if you need any help on any of that there are quite a few posts already in the forums.

If you don't have any unsynced or local notes,  you might consider (after doing the whole backing up thing) renaming your database EXB file to something else.  The Evernote server will happily download your entire database to your computer again - incidentally fixing any corruption or invalid names that might have appeared in your local copy.

You should have a look at your account on the internet via Evernote.com - just make sure you have all the notes you think you should,  and empty the web trash notebook and your local desktop trash too.

Archived