(Archived) iOS only syncing intermittently - help - please!

lesli.a

Hello fellow forum EN geeks! This is my first post here bc I've sent three requests to the support team and so far have only received auto-bot responses. (Is there a better way to get help from EN?) I'm desperate bc this problem is rendering EN useless to me bc it's so unreliable. Just a few hours ago, I uploaded about a half-dozen notes (copying myself on every single one of them is something I'm having to do theses days, rather annoying) and only ONE appeared in my EN account. I'm talking my iPad, my iPhone, and just plain Safari.

I also did the delete and reinstall app trick on both devices. So it's clearly not anything on my side, there's something plugging up the database on their servers, or however that works...I'm not a programmer. Every once and a while since a year ago I had been getting those red synchronization errors, but didn't know what or how to do about them, but wasn't using EN seriously back then, so I let it go. But I also wasn't missing notes like this.

But now it comes at a time that I realized how helpful EN could be as a way to organize my extremely disorganized office where I can't find any of my important papers: I recently started scanning everything important hot out of the mailbox and uploading it to EN. So this issue I'm having is pretty critical.

What are my options? Switch to Dropbox? They never lose anything! No, seriously? Jump off a bridge? :-0!! I'd really rather not, not nearly as efficient, but I've got to save my docs online somewhere.

Btw, this got me to thinking...who are EN's competitors? I mean, in tech stuff is moving around all the time. And we're not going to all be on EN forever...just curious. Everyone in the world must not be using EN. And if I were to move, how does one migrate, say, 2000 notes!! Stuff like this gets you thinking.

Praying for some help! ;-)

lesli.a

• Level 5*

Hello fellow forum EN geeks! This is my first post here bc I've sent three requests to the support team and so far have only received auto-bot responses. (Is there a better way to get help from EN?) I'm desperate bc this problem is rendering EN useless to me bc it's so unreliable. Just a few hours ago, I uploaded about a half-dozen notes (copying myself on every single one of them is something I'm having to do theses days, rather annoying) and only ONE appeared in my EN account. I'm talking my iPad, my iPhone, and just plain Safari.

I also did the delete and reinstall app trick on both devices. So it's clearly not anything on my side, there's something plugging up the database on their servers, or however that works...I'm not a programmer. Every once and a while since a year ago I had been getting those red synchronization errors, but didn't know what or how to do about them, but wasn't using EN seriously back then, so I let it go. But I also wasn't missing notes like this.

But now it comes at a time that I realized how helpful EN could be as a way to organize my extremely disorganized office where I can't find any of my important papers: I recently started scanning everything important hot out of the mailbox and uploading it to EN. So this issue I'm having is pretty critical.

What are my options? Switch to Dropbox? They never lose anything! No, seriously? Jump off a bridge? :-0!! I'd really rather not, not nearly as efficient, but I've got to save my docs online somewhere.

Btw, this got me to thinking...who are EN's competitors? I mean, in tech stuff is moving around all the time. And we're not going to all be on EN forever...just curious. Everyone in the world must not be using EN. And if I were to move, how does one migrate, say, 2000 notes!! Stuff like this gets you thinking.

Praying for some help! ;-)

lesli.a

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

1. Evernote syncs intermittently. You can change the frequency in your Preferences on the Mac. You can also force a sync with the sync icon. I press that button a lot.

2. Evernote on the iPad is a tricky beast right now, and it syncs intermittently without letting you know when it is happening, so things can get to be a real mess (it has been a tough adjustment for me from the previous version). The solution is simple, though, after you train yourself. Make sure to go to the elephant icon, click on your name, and tap on the "Sync Now" button anytime you make updates on your Mac (after you have synced there, of course). That's it. You just have to remember to do it! I am lobbying to get that force sync button back on the main pages.

3. I've moved tens of thousands of notes in and out of Evernote. It's easy to do. You can make it a lot easier by managing your account a certain way, but that is an entire blog post for another day. Long story short: plain text notes will make your life a lot easier if you want to be "future proof." Don't worry about it now. I'll post something on my website sometime about it and try to remember to post a link in this thread. Or, you can subscribe to my Evernote public notebook (see my signature below).

Hi, and thanks! I wish it were that easy. Yes I know about the sync button, and sadly in this case it's not resolving my problem. For instance, this afternoon I had been researching a topic and it was only the very last note that made it thru to EN. And this is a good many hours ago, and many clicks on the sync button. I've copied myself on everything I've wished to have archived to EN, and sadly few have made it. Even notes from a week ago, sadly, still haven't made an appearance on EN. It's only this past week and a half, since about the time Apple did this little mini-update, that the problem got so egregious. But I can't call Apple for support, they'd just say it's EN's problem, which really it is.

But I'm surprised, looking around, using search terms, etc., it seems I'm the the only one experiencing this problem. It's egregious enough that if it were system-wide, we'd be hearing about it, don't you think? I think I've covered the bases of trouble-shooting enough on my side that they've really got to step in at this point bc I know not what else to try. Do they have a phone #? I've never found one.

Nevertheless, one finds new interests in the strangest ways. I shall subscribe to your EN notebook.

• Level 5*

I'm going to start a support ticket for you. You should receive an automated email from support within a few seconds (check all of your accounts). Use this to communicate with the support folks, and post your ticket number here as well to get some more Evernote eyes on it.

It might be something as simple as being logged into the wrong accounts, but customer service can probably sort it out for you more quickly. It is the weekend, so you may not get someone until Monday, but be patient. They have no phone number.

• Level 5*

Btw, I did get an email last nite confirming that a ticket would be opened and that the ticket number would be coming in another email shortly, but so far it hasn't.

Oh. Then it is just a confirmation that they know about you, and a customer service ninja will contact you with a ticket number tomorrow.

Btw, I have multiple email accounts. It doesn't matter which email account you upload from? I don't know why I'd be asking this now, after years of using EN, but just trying to think of everything.

When you send thing to EN via email, it sometimes takes a while.  I would suggest you use one of the desktop clients (Mac/Windows) as they are the most robust clients, allow "offline" access to your notes, can be backed up along with your normal backup scheme & allow you to make/alter notes w/o going against your upload limit.  IOW, when you email something to your account, it goes against your monthly upload limit.  Then if you alter that note & sync, it goes against the limit a second time.  And the desktop clients are really more suitable when you're adding a lot of data to your EN account.

2. Evernote on the iPad is a tricky beast right now, and it syncs intermittently without letting you know when it is happening, so things can get to be a real mess (it has been a tough adjustment for me from the previous version). The solution is simple, though, after you train yourself. Make sure to go to the elephant icon, click on your name, and tap on the "Sync Now" button anytime you make updates on your Mac (after you have synced there, of course). That's it. You just have to remember to do it! I am lobbying to get that force sync button back on the main pages.

Thanks for this remark!

It was driving me crazy, but now I know it is by design.

I hope it will be changed quicky, at least to have the option to set the interval.

Archived