Where are my notes stored and not stored?

I have the free Evernote account; I am running Mavericks on my iMac and iOS 7 on my iPad and iPhone.

I haven't been able to find a clear explanation of where my data is stored and where it is not stored.

I understand that all my notes are permanently stored (unless I delete them) on the Evernote servers and that I can access them through my browser if I want to. But: 

(1) Using the Evernote desktop app on my iMac, I seem to be able to access my notes very quickly, which suggests that copies of all my notes are also stored on my hard drive, updated when I sync, and where I can access them even when I am not connected to the Internet. Is this correct?

(2) When I access notes from my mobile device they must be downloaded from the Evernote servers. Does this mean that they are only stored temporarily on my mobile device while I am viewing or editing them? When do these temporary copies disappear from the memory of my mobile device?

(3) I understand that the Premium account will allow me to maintain copies of all my notes on my mobile devices at all times so that I can access them even when I am not connected to the Internet. Is this correct?

It would be helpful to have this information clearly presented on the Evernote support site. Perhaps it is; I haven't been able to find it. In the meantime, can anybody provide answers to these questions? Thanks.

• Level 5*

Hi.

1. Local Storage

The Evernote data is stored in three possible locations:

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=135

In addition, there is some in CoreData. I haven't figured out exactly what it is doing there, though. At any rate, what you are asking is important to know, and I wish Evernote made it more clear. The data on desktops is automatically downloaded and stored on your local drive, which gives you complete control over your data -- a big point in Evernote's favor, in my opinion.

2. Mobile

Stored data disappears occasionally when your device clears the cache. You do not know when this will happen, so you need to be connected to the Internet all of the time if you want to access your data on a Free account.

3. Mobile offline

Yes. Premium users can designate notebooks for offline use.

• 8 months later...
  • Level 5*

I was recently in the bowels of a warehouse store and unable to access my shopping list on my iPhone because I had no Internet connection. Is there a way to have the data local on the iPhone at this time? 

Sure. Premium accounts can designate specific notebooks on their mobile devices as offline notebooks. Once synced, the note contents will be available on the device.

• 3 years later...

Why isn't this simple? The point of evernote is so you can confidently save important documents isn't it? So what the heck have you got to do find them? Shouldn't you be able to login to your account and see them online? It's like you put them in a safe spot that you don't know where is. 

• Level 5*
On 10/3/2017 at 6:42 AM, Joseph brook said:

Why isn't this simple? The point of evernote is so you can confidently save important documents isn't it? So what the heck have you got to do find them? Shouldn't you be able to login to your account and see them online? It's like you put them in a safe spot that you don't know where is. 

It is that simple, as long as you have an Internet connection.  If you think you may not have a connection when you are accessing your notes, the offline notebooks option is available.  But assuming you have a connection, login and see them.

• Level 5*
On 10/3/2017 at 7:42 AM, Joseph brook said:

Why isn't this simple?

What don't you find simple about this? Are you having a specific problem finding or accessing your notes?

On 10/3/2017 at 7:42 AM, Joseph brook said:

Shouldn't you be able to login to your account and see them online?

You should. Are you having difficulty?

• Level 5*
On 2017-10-03 at 4:42 AM, Joseph brook said:

Shouldn't you be able to login to your account and see them online?

When I’m online, I have no problems accessing my notes.  Evernote is a cloud service

>>So what the heck have you got to do find them?

When I’m not online, I also want access to my notes.  I make sure I have a copy on my device

I also run client side functions on my Mac.  I need the a copy of the data on my device and the location

Archived