(Archived) Import Folders and new PC

• Level 5*

I have several import folders set up that have added a few hundred files to my notes.  I have now migrated to a new laptop and have moved all of the files from my original PC over to the new one.  If I set up the same import folders on the new system Evernote will just import all of the existing files in these folders back into Evernote again which I would like to avoid.  I can't think of any work around other than just continue, let them import and then delete the duplicates when done.  Most of these are in local notebooks so I don't think it will chew up any monthly quota but I'm hoping for an easier work around.  Any other ideas?  Thanks.

• Level 5*

Why do you need to re-import these files into Evernote. Aren't they already there in your account?

That's what I want to avoid ... let me try to explain further.  I have a folder for a project and all files associated with that project go there.  I have that folder set as an import folder so that the files get pulled into Evernote and organized there.  The project is ongoing so even after moving to the new laptop I want to set up the import folder again so I can continue to add files associated with that project to Evernote but once I set up the import folder on the new PC it pulls in all of the files again.

..and why do they have 'existing files' in them?  Were the files not deleted once imported to Evernote?

I don't have it set to delete. Deleting on import would have avoided this but I prefer to leave the files in the folder in addition to storing them in Evernote.  

• Level 5*

Um, I see -- it's about what I figured. Not sure what to tell you; I tried a quick test of putting a file into a directory, then adding the directory (on the theory that the import folder mechanism is set up to trigger only when there's a new file added to the folder), but the file imported, so that theory appears to be blown.

Your other option might be to set up a 'delete' import folder that's different from where you keep your project folders, and use that from now on; just copy new files in the the new folder from your project directory and they'll be imported, while your project file is safe and separate. Frankly, I'd be a little bit nervous about keeping important files in an import folder on a permanent basis, myself. I have my import folder as a Favorite in Windows Explorer, which makes it easy to locate.

• Level 5*

Not sure how Evernote ID's the files as 'already uploaded'.  As a couple of suggestions you could 1) check whether files in sub-folders are imported (I don't think they are) and if so just roost your 'old' files in a sub folder of the import folder;  or 2) link the import folder to a new temporary local notebook and let it suck the files in.  Then redirect the input to your normal inbox notebook and delete the temporary one.  But I'd +2 jef's comment - leaving files in that import folder is not good housekeeping.  If I have stuff that needs separate storage I import a copy and then file the archive version somewhere safe.

I agree with Gaz... I use a "wash account" (accounting speak) import folder. Everything I want imported gets copied/pasted or cut/pasted from the folder it's scanned/saved into to the import folder & then EN deletes it from the "wash account" folder after importing. Resolves a couple of issues this way.

• Level 5*

Your other option might be to set up a 'delete' import folder that's different from where you keep your project folders, and use that from now on; just copy new files in the the new folder from your project directory and they'll be imported, while your project file is safe and separate. Frankly, I'd be a little bit nervous about keeping important files in an import folder on a permanent basis, myself.

I hadn't considered the risk of leaving project files in my import folder ... good point.  Moving forward I will copy files to two locations, the project folder and the import folder that I will set to delete from.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

• Level 5*

Your other option might be to set up a 'delete' import folder that's different from where you keep your project folders, and use that from now on; just copy new files in the the new folder from your project directory and they'll be imported, while your project file is safe and separate. Frankly, I'd be a little bit nervous about keeping important files in an import folder on a permanent basis, myself.

I hadn't considered the risk of leaving project files in my import folder ... good point.  Moving forward I will copy files to two locations, the project folder and the import folder that I will set to delete from.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Yeah, I had initially thought that this would be OK; set up the import folder and any existing files in the folder would be ignored, but testing proved otherwise and I'm glad that I thought to do that. Good luck.

Archived