Using ScanSnap S1500M and Evernote (versus ScanSnap Evernote features)

zbeckman

Idea

I have a ScanSnap S1500M, a beautiful scanner (that I suspect is about 99% identical to the Evernote ScanSnap product). Unfortunately, I can't use the very nice ScanSnap Evernote Edition because it won't recognize the scanner (I tried). But I'd love to improve the document scanning and importing, specifically: The EverNote edition of ScanSnap smartly recognizes photos, documents, business cards, etc., and puts them into appropriate notebooks. The standard ScanSnap software does not, so I have a simple "Inbox" notebook where all scans initially arrive.

Is there any way to improve this workflow and make it more like the Evernote ScanSnap software? Is there any way to use the S1500M with the Evernote edition that I'm not aware of (short of buying a new, and yet almost identical, scanner for $500)?

18 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Mklar (or anyone else who might know) -- does the "ScanSnap Manager Evernote Edition" software work with an iX500, or do all the nice features that are highlighted in the Evernote Scanner video available only with the Evernote Edition Scanner? (the Evernote Scanner is 4-6 weeks, whereas the iX500 is 2 days with Amazon Prime and cheaper to boot)

Evernote employee Jackolicious stated in another thread that this special ScanSnap software works ONLY with the ScanSnap Evernote scanner.  Evidently a lot of the processing is in the firmware of the scanner.

It's a sales/marketing thing.  IMO, the regular ScanSnap scanners are just as useful.

I agree. Also, the Evernote edition of the ScanSnap scanner is considerably more expensive than the S1500. And not really worth it in my opinion.

Also, don't buy the Mac edition of the ScanSnap S1500. The only difference from the Windows version is the colour. You have to be really fond of white to pay a $100+ premium for the Mac version. 

If you buy the S1500M Mac edition, it comes bundled with Mac OS X versions of client software, including Adobe Acrobat.  (At least that was the case when I bought my scanner a few years ago.)   While you can download more recent versions of OS X ScanSnap off the net, you can't acquire the OS X version of Adobe Acrobat that was bundled with the scanner.

It is still the same scanner that would work with any software the S1500M would work with. Anyways, you got Adobe Acrobat bundled with the Windows version too. So, whether you have the need for Acrobat on OS X or not, it's still a ~$100 premium for the Mac version.

Good news is ScanSnap has stopped charging Mac users more - no dedicated Mac versions of the ix500 or Evernote Edition.

It's a sales/marketing thing.  IMO, the regular ScanSnap scanners are just as useful.

I agree. Also, the Evernote edition of the ScanSnap scanner is considerably more expensive than the S1500. And not really worth it in my opinion.

Also, don't buy the Mac edition of the ScanSnap S1500. The only difference from the Windows version is the colour. You have to be really fond of white to pay a $100+ premium for the Mac version. 

If you buy the S1500M Mac edition, it comes bundled with Mac OS X versions of client software, including Adobe Acrobat.  (At least that was the case when I bought my scanner a few years ago.)   While you can download more recent versions of OS X ScanSnap off the net, you can't acquire the OS X version of Adobe Acrobat that was bundled with the scanner.

For the foreseeable future, auto-filing from a scanner will only be available with the ScanSnap Evernote Edition.

Just got here with the same problem and am truly disappointed  to learn this..

Its the same hardware. Not supporting it because it's not branded is petty. 

Mklar (or anyone else who might know) -- does the "ScanSnap Manager Evernote Edition" software work with an iX500, or do all the nice features that are highlighted in the Evernote Scanner video available only with the Evernote Edition Scanner? (the Evernote Scanner is 4-6 weeks, whereas the iX500 is 2 days with Amazon Prime and cheaper to boot)

I'm sad to hear that the Evernote software does not work with other ScanSnap scanners…it looked promising. 

zbeckman, I own both the S1500M and the ix500 (the hardware that the Evernote scanner is based on.) The S1500 is really a fantastic scanner; I love it. But the ix500 is hands-down faster, more reliable and generally better. Start saving now and when your S1500 finally bites the dust, you'll be happy with the replacement!

• Level 5*

I have a ScanSnap S1500M, a beautiful scanner (that I suspect is about 99% identical to the Evernote ScanSnap product). Unfortunately, I can't use the very nice ScanSnap Evernote Edition because it won't recognize the scanner (I tried). But I'd love to improve the document scanning and importing, specifically: The EverNote edition of ScanSnap smartly recognizes photos, documents, business cards, etc., and puts them into appropriate notebooks. The standard ScanSnap software does not, so I have a simple "Inbox" notebook where all scans initially arrive.

Is there any way to improve this workflow and make it more like the Evernote ScanSnap software? Is there any way to use the S1500M with the Evernote edition that I'm not aware of (short of buying a new, and yet almost identical, scanner for $500)?

zbeckman, since you're on a Mac, you are in luck!

Checkout the Evernote Import Folder Using AppleScript from Veritrope.com

If it doesn't do exactly what you want, you can always tweak the script.

• Level 5*

I have a workaround that might be more trouble than it's worth - in Windows at least.  Not sure how you'd implement it on a Mac because I believe you're still short of 'import folders' - the natty little folders from which Evernote will automatically import a file into a specific notebook.  You can have more than one import folder,  linked to different notebooks;  so putting files into different folders catapults them into different notebooks.  I use a system of naming files with a short code (My ScanSnap is set to allow me to edit filenames on the fly) and using Belvedere - a Lifehacker project that moves files around - to take each file with 'xxcard' in the title to one folder,  JPG's to another,  etc..

Archived