(Archived) tag cloud?

vivo

Idea

I have quite a large number of tags (imported from Delicious), therefore to select & assign tags I have to scroll around heavily.

I have started to create a tag hierarchy but it doesn't help that much.

I would like to have a smaller (screen estate) tag cloud, that contains all tags

- in alphabetical order

- often used tags may be larger or not (configurable)

- seldom used may be filtered (configurable)

thx

Victor

20 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
But seriously, Evernote, isn't a little embarrassing when third party developers have to write apps to overcome serious shortcomings in your client software - i.e. this app and FastEver for iOS? It's great you have an API developers are using, and that there are apps out there, but should we users have to spend additional money for features that really should be included in the platform? Tag management is so fundamental to the operation of Evernote, especially since we don't have full-blown folder hierarchies for notebooks. Really this is an area of the app that needs to be addressed.

I doubt that they find it embarrassing. If they felt that tag clouds or "advanced" tag management functionality were that important (much less a requirement), then they'd have probably put it in by now. As it is, the API allows 3rd-party developers to add in things that can be useful to some of their customers, and that's a strength of the Evernote ecosystem. I know that Evernote staff have responded enthusiastically to 3rd-party developers adding value to their platform, even to the point of baumgarr's Nevernote efforts. No embarrassment was evident.

Thanks for trying it out. Let me what you think it just a first cut, so I'm open to suggestions.

I am also getting the last couple bugs out of a version that continously monitors your note and tags, retagging notes when they change, or automatically tagging new notes when they are added.

You just need to leave it running in the background on your computer.

Thanks for the link - the app looks promising, and the price point seems fair. I will probably give it a try.

But seriously, Evernote, isn't a little embarrassing when third party developers have to write apps to overcome serious shortcomings in your client software - i.e. this app and FastEver for iOS? It's great you have an API developers are using, and that there are apps out there, but should we users have to spend additional money for features that really should be included in the platform? Tag management is so fundamental to the operation of Evernote, especially since we don't have full-blown folder hierarchies for notebooks. Really this is an area of the app that needs to be addressed.

Hello tag cloudsters

I have a prototype standalone OS X application that produces a 3D tag cloud from an existing set of Evernote tags.

I was wondering if there is still interest in such a tool, and if there are any particular requests for it's feature set...

Thanks in advance.

Barry

• Level 5*
how about the idea of just showing the tags used by the notes in the actual selceted notebook?

Well you can do that for the note that you are currently viewing, Shift+cmd+a or the View Menu/Hide Unassigned Tags.

+1 for Tag Cloud.

A flat list of hundreds of tags is about the most useless thing I can imagine. Showing only tags relevant to the notebook at hand is an obvious UI enhancement too.

Tagging is one of the area that seriously needs help in Evernote - hope it comes soon.

I feel your pain, vito... delicious import was probably the biggest mistake I ever made with Evernote; it made my tag list completely useless.

A proper cloud would be great; even more, I would love an [option] to have the tag list dynamically adjust to show only tags in the notebook selected. Instead of graying out unused tags, hide them. Then the overlap (or lack thereof) of my web development tags versus my bookmarks versus my music would be irrelevant, unless I was viewing all notebooks.

Archived