(Archived) Which tablet?

Hi, I'm looking to buy a tablet specifically for using evernote. I'm an architect and find web clipping images from websites really useful. So I need a tablet that clips/tags easily from the web and lets me look through my notes easily. I have evernote on my iPhone and it doesn't clip and is too small. I'm so confused as to whether iPad mini or google nexus etc is best. Any advice hugely appreciated!

Thanks

Leftie, I've been a Nook tablet user for a couple of years. When I found out EN wouldn't run on it anymore, I finally rooted the Nook. Wish I had done it sooner. 

G, since you already have an iPhone, you would probably be more comfortable with an iPad. I've been an Android user for years so my rooted Nook does fine. If I were looking to buy an Android tablet today, I would probably go with the Nexus or Galaxy

• Level 5*

Hi, I'm looking to buy a tablet specifically for using evernote. I'm an architect and find web clipping images from websites really useful. So I need a tablet that clips/tags easily from the web and lets me look through my notes easily. I have evernote on my iPhone and it doesn't clip and is too small. I'm so confused as to whether iPad mini or google nexus etc is best. Any advice hugely appreciated!

Thanks

Hi. Welcome to the forums. I recommend the iPad Air. The Evernote app works well. The iCab Mobile browser has a nice web clipper.

GM, I never knew you were a mind reader! You wrote my post!

Just got my iPad Air yesterday. I didn't have a lot of trouble with Evernote on my iPad 3 but it's a beautiful thing on the Air. And iCab Mobile has been my go-to browser for a long time because it plays so nicely with Evernote. Now, if I could just get it to work with the Evernote forums.....

• Level 5*

GM, I never knew you were a mind reader! You wrote my post!

Just got my iPad Air yesterday. I didn't have a lot of trouble with Evernote on my iPad 3 but it's a beautiful thing on the Air. And iCab Mobile has been my go-to browser for a long time because it plays so nicely with Evernote. Now, if I could just get it to work with the Evernote forums.....

Heh, my 7" Android tablet has a nice client *and* I can use the forums here, too... :)

• Level 5*

I use Chrome for the forums, so I manage. Can your Android browser clip to Evernote? (half nyah-nyah, other half I really want to know. ;-) )

I don't usually clip from Android these days (don't enjoy doing much on tiny smart phone screens), but as I recall, the Dolphin browser had a nice Evernote clipper. When the Nexus 10 #2 finally gets released I might change my post to add it as one of my "recommended" tablets. At the moment, though, the Air is at the top of the mountain.

• Level 5*

I use Chrome for the forums, so I manage. Can your Android browser clip to Evernote? (half nyah-nyah, other half I really want to know. ;-) )

Yes. EverClip. Seems to do about as much as I need, anyways,

I don't usually clip from Android these days (don't enjoy doing much on tiny smart phone screens), but as I recall, the Dolphin browser had a nice Evernote clipper. When the Nexus 10 #2 finally gets released I might change my post to add it as one of my "recommended" tablets. At the moment, though, the Air is at the top of the mountain.

I'd like to get a 10" Android tablet myself, but I don't think that the Office of Family Budget Management is likely to approve the spending bill.  :) That certainly would go for the Air as well. I was able to purchase the Nexus 7 out my personal slush fund, fortunately, and I like it a lot and use it every day (like Evernote), though I don't do a whole lot of web clipping, compared to the desktop, anyways.

Can't the OFBM be bribed? Flowers? Agreeing to an extra share of the household chores? It's a sweet tablet. I've loved my iPad 3 but the Air is just the niftiest toy I've gotten in ages. The speed is just amazing.

• Level 5*

She can be bribed, but it doesn't always work. :) She tends to cast a flinty eye on gadget purchases. Took some convincing to get smartphones this year (at last). And I'm happy with the Nexus 7 -- I don't really need a 10" tablet.

I have a 9" Android which is a really nice size - you don't feel like you're carrying around half a laptop and the extra 2" makes all the difference...how rude!!

Its Lenovo and cost the same as a nexus 7 and flies like the wind with plenty of apps open and running.....EN works a treat on it as well....apart from all the bugs...

Hey thanks for all the feedback. I just had a look at the iPad air feeling like I could maybe bite the bullet on the price tag but I think as evernote is really my main reason for getting the tablet, I just can't justify that extra cost. I don't know anything about androids but I'm a pc user so far from a mac purist. But am I right in thinking there's a suggestion of bugs and difficult web clipping with non-iPads (scuse the non-techy language)...

There are bugs on all the platforms but generally the apps do what they are meant to.

Regarding Android, its just another operating system for phones and tablets and does the same as apple devices only a lot cheaper!

• Level 5*

As an Android and iOS user, I think the iPad Air is easily the best experience out there (at the moment), if you are into large tablets (that's where I get my work done). If you don't need a full size tablet, the mini is actually a better buy! It has all the benefits of the iPad, but better resolution (the new version) and a lower price.

If cost is an issue, large size isn't needed, and you are operating system agnostic, the nexus 7 is brilliant. The overall Android experience can be a little rough sometimes (it really depends on what you do), but dollar for dollar the tablet is an incredible value (print this post off for the doubting spouse). It kind of depends on your use case. The ipad is the all around safe bet, but Android has a lot of really nice features that you cannot find in the Appleverse. I love being free from the tyranny of iTunes, for example.

From an Evernote app perspective, I'd say the ioS app is currently "ahead" of Android, but they tend to leapfrog one another, so next week it could be Android.

I am currently using a moto xoom with 'Next Browser'. It has a great evernote clipper extension and the screenshot extension can be used to load into evernote or skitch. Don't sped a ton on apple when you get a better product for less elsewhere.

• Level 5*

I am currently using a moto xoom with 'Next Browser'. It has a great evernote clipper extension and the screenshot extension can be used to load into evernote or skitch. Don't sped a ton on apple when you get a better product for less elsewhere.

I thought quite highly of the Motorola Xoom when it came out, but like the iPad 2 it was competing against at the time, it is not a tablet I would recommend to anyone in the market for a device today. Technology has simply advanced a lot since then (2011). I almost never recommend older tech to people, because it tends to put you at a disadvantage with apps. There are a few exceptions, but not many, and I can't think of any among the tablets out there.

Your point about price, though, is a good one, and Android has some great stuff out there (I am partial to the Nexus devices). Personally, I think you get what you pay for with Apple, but I suppose Maserati owners probably say the same thing, and they get from point A to point B just as quickly as the rest of us :)

Don't spend the cash on the iPad air if you think it's out of your price range. I'm a die hard tech geek and I always need the latest toys, but I won't always tell others to buy the latest and greatest things out there. I'm currently using the iPad mini and it's great. It's nice an portable and the 16 gig wifi is only 299 dollars now. The processor is a bit slower than the new iPads but it's fine for evernote. The bigger screen iPad 2 is 499, and if you're thinking about using a keyboard with your tablet then I would probably recommend going for that. I'm waiting for the mini with retina myself which is starts at 399, but if you're looking to get one soon, then I would go for the mini or iPad 2.

• Level 5*

Don't spend the cash on the iPad air if you think it's out of your price range. I'm a die hard tech geek and I always need the latest toys, but I won't always tell others to buy the latest and greatest things out there. I'm currently using the iPad mini and it's great. It's nice an portable and the 16 gig wifi is only 299 dollars now. The processor is a bit slower than the new iPads but it's fine for evernote. The bigger screen iPad 2 is 499, and if you're thinking about using a keyboard with your tablet then I would probably recommend going for that. I'm waiting for the mini with retina myself which is starts at 399, but if you're looking to get one soon, then I would go for the mini or iPad 2.

I respect what you are saying, and appreciate your introducing the OP to available options, but I would strongly disagree with this recommendation.

If money is the issue, then purchasing a new Android tablet is a very cost effective way to enjoy the best hardware (and depending on who you talk to) the best software available. The resolution and RAM on the iPad 2 is not very good, and the iPad Mini also has poor resolution (I can definitely see why you would upgrade to the new mini this month). I don't know why Apple continues to sell these very outdated devices, but I think they are a trap for the unwary. Most tech blogs would concur with my assessment.

I bougt the iPad 2, and enjoyed it back in the day (nearly three years ago!), but its day has passed. If you want to get the most out of Evernote, I cannot recommend a newer tablet enough. It will last for years and will be an enjoyable experience.

I respect what you are saying, and appreciate your introducing the OP to available options, but I would strongly disagree with this recommendation.

If money is the issue, then purchasing a new Android tablet is a very cost effective way to enjoy the best hardware (and depending on who you talk to) the best software available. The resolution and RAM on the iPad 2 is not very good, and the iPad Mini also has poor resolution (I can definitely see why you would upgrade to the new mini this month). I don't know why Apple continues to sell these very outdated devices, but I think they are a trap for the unwary. Most tech blogs would concur with my assessment.

I bougt the iPad 2, and enjoyed it back in the day (nearly three years ago!), but its day has passed. If you want to get the most out of Evernote, I cannot recommend a newer tablet enough. It will last for years and will be an enjoyable experience.

The iPad 2 and mini definately don't look good at all compared to retina displays, but the Mini doesn't look bad at all since it's the same resolution as the iPad 2 in a smaller screen. As for Android tablets, I've used and own the Nexus 7 and 2013 Nexus 7 and can't recommend those for Productivity. The portability is nice, but they feel like bigger smartphones and not actual tablets like the iPads. I'm aware that Asus used really cheap RAM which made my first gen Nexus 7 run horribly slow after 6-8 months and I'm guessing they did that to reach the cheaper price points Google likes to hit to aim for the masses. As for other Android tablets, I can't speak for them but I will say that if the price seems too good to be true then there's probably a reason for that!

• Level 5*

The iPad 2 and mini definately don't look good at all compared to retina displays, but the Mini doesn't look bad at all since it's the same resolution as the iPad 2 in a smaller screen. As for Android tablets, I've used and own the Nexus 7 and 2013 Nexus 7 and can't recommend those for Productivity. The portability is nice, but they feel like bigger smartphones and not actual tablets like the iPads. I'm aware that Asus used really cheap RAM which made my first gen Nexus 7 run horribly slow after 6-8 months and I'm guessing they did that to reach the cheaper price points Google likes to hit to aim for the masses. As for other Android tablets, I can't speak for them but I will say that if the price seems too good to be true then there's probably a reason for that!
I actually found the ipad 2 display to be quite unimpressive even before Retina displays came out. The ppi (pixels per inch) in the iPad 2 and the Mini is awful. However, I have friends and colleagues who don't mind, so I think it might be a preference thing.

As for the Nexus 7, I had a much better experience with it. I am more productive on Apple stuff myself, but that's because there are really nice apps to fit my use case and I prefer the screen aspect ratio of the iPad to Android or Windows (basically, a journal article will look great in portrait orientation on the iPad, but not so good on the other two, because they are too narrow). Workflows and use cases vary, though, and i have friends and colleagues who swear by Android. I haven't met anyone who likes the Windows tablet experience, but i bet they are out there somewhere!

My advice would be to get something new whichever operating system you pick. The iPad Air or Retina Mini for Apple, or the Nexus brands (wait for the update to the Nexus 10) for Google. I would not recommend something amazingly cheap (as you said, beware) or old, because things become outdated quickly in this market. Two or three years is really the most I would expect to comfortably enjoy something from the release date of the device. After that, operating systems and apps become more and more difficult to use.

Ask an iPad 2 person about their experience and they may say they love it because they have had it for some time now, but I haven't met a person yet who likes iOS7 on it, and you've got to have that version of the operating system to run Evernote. More importantly, I don't know anyone who would recommend buying it now, even iPad 2 owners. The same thing goes for the old mini, which has old internals -- you're looking at a ppi from back in 2007 (same as the original iPod Touch) and hardware from several years ago. This is important, because Evernote comes out with some great updates, and you don't want to be a generation or two behind, unable to download the updated app.

For the OP, take a look at MacRumors.com for a buyer's guide to Apple stuff. They track products and can give you the best sense of what to buy / not buy. The Evernote apps are typically updated for new Apple devices and operating systems, so you benefit from having newer tech. Some other apps don't update as often, and you could make a case for old tech with those, I guess.

Ok thanks so much for all this help. I guess I'm now looking at either iPad (still not sure I'll stretch to that as don't think I'll use it enough) or the new google nexus 10. That was a good point about the nexus 7 feeling more like a smartphone - I can see how that would happen and as I'm an image more than document user of evernote, landscape would be better. So I don't think anyone's mentioned that there are limitations with easy web clipping with the nexus. I hope it'll clip from chrome the same way that it works on a desktop.

Thanks again everyone.

• Level 5*

Ok thanks so much for all this help. I guess I'm now looking at either iPad (still not sure I'll stretch to that as don't think I'll use it enough) or the new google nexus 10. That was a good point about the nexus 7 feeling more like a smartphone - I can see how that would happen and as I'm an image more than document user of evernote, landscape would be better. So I don't think anyone's mentioned that there are limitations with easy web clipping with the nexus. I hope it'll clip from chrome the same way that it works on a desktop.

Thanks again everyone.

Not from Chrome, I don't think, but from Dolphin. I don't clip much on my Android phone, so maybe someone with more recent experience on Android could give specific clipping tips.

• Level 5*

Thanks again everyone.

Not from Chrome, I don't think, but from Dolphin. I don't clip much on my Android phone, so maybe someone with more recent experience on Android could give specific clipping tips.

There is the EverClip Android app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.noinnion.android.everclip&hl=en). I use it occasionally in Chrome; seems to work.

Archived