(Archived) Tagging

• Level 5*

A tag is just a label that you can apply to one or more notes. Tags are typically used to describe what's in the note, or categorize them. You can apply multiple tags to a note. You can find notes by tag using search.

What are you having problems with?

• Level 5*

The method described in this video seems unnecessarily complicated for me - if you want to find all your mobile bills from the thousands of other bills and documents you may have scanned into Evernote,  try searching for your unique mobile account number 123456789.  That'll bring up all your bills - plus maybe other documents.  So add another search term;  like 'bill' or 'account' and you'll get there.

The layout you are seeing is the left-hand panel of a standard Evernote Windows display,  with a standard list of tags in stacks.  As you click on items in the list you'll jump to the notes tagged with that word.

When I first started with Evernote, I was frustrated with only two levels of organization, notebook and stacks, so I thought about setting up a complicated tag and subtag system.

But, over time, I have found as long as I add useful tags for every note going into Evernote, it is incredibly fast to find anything. Drilling down through multiple tag levels just isn't as fast for me. So now I do "free range" tags :) where I just tag each note with every way I think I would like to be able to retrieve it later.

I have no problems finding what I am looking for.

Archived