S-Note and Evernote Integration on Samsung Galaxy Note

bnefit

I am using Galaxy S3 and I wanted to make a selected text bold.

So I have selected the text by highlighting it, and then pressing the bold button. Instead of making the selected text bold, it actually deleted the text.

Same applies to underline or making the text italic.

Anyone having the same problem?

Please advise.

Thanks

hi bartman001

thanks for your reply.

if i place the cursor within a word, the letter after the cursor will become bold by pressing the bold button. this works fine. however, if i select the entire word and make it bold, it actually disappears afterpressing the bold button.

i am new to android phone so can you go through the steps to make the text bold if you dont mind.

if my steps are correct, is it a settings problem? i tried reinstalling the program but still getting the same problem

I played around some more with bold, underline, and italic. Is it an existing note you are editing or a new note?

If I want to make a word bold - I select the text by pressing on the word until the selection toggles appear - I move the toggles around to achieve the selection I desire - then I press the bold button. The selection becomes bold.

I tried all kinds of other iterations and never had words disappear.

I'm using the latest market version of evernote. I'm also using thumb keyboard as my default Input method (not the stock keyboard that came with the S3)

I hope this helps.

hi bartmann001

thanks for your reply again.

i finally found out where the problem lies!! its with the keyboard!!

i am using google pinyin ime as i need to input chinese characters from time to time. after reading your reply, i tried different keyboards such as swiftkey x and others and it worked!!! I was able to make the selected word bold.

i then played around with google pinyin ime and i found a way to bypass the bug. it will only bold the word with the following steps:

1) place the cursor at the end of the sentence or anywhere where there is no text.

2) change it to chinese input

3) select the word or sentence and then press bold

anyway, thanks for your replies! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Evernote in Samsung Galaxy Note Authentication Error.

I encountered the Authentication Error problem in Samsung Galaxy Note. The device cannot sync with the changes on the PC. I power off the device and turned off the Internet connection and restated them again. Again I noted that the device still showed Authentication Error. Then suddenly a new downloaded screen appeared on the Samsung Galaxy Note. Then I realized that I had changed my Evernote password on the PC !!! Entered the new password on the device and everything was OK.

• 4 weeks later...

I updated my Samsung Galaxy Note a few weeks ago and ever since it has changed the way evernote works. The done button moved to below the text and covers italic and underline icons. When I go to try to highlight text in order to change the text to bold or underline or copy & paste the tab does not show those options anymore. How can I fix this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I also would love to be able to color highlight text, but can't find that feature anywhere, are they working on it?

Thank you for all that you do!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Folks...

Anyone using Evernote on the new Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet? I did a forum search for "galaxy note 10.1" and was surprised to find no hits. It would seem to me that the integral wacom stylus feature of this tablet would make it an ideal evernote device. I know that previous tablets, like the HTC Flyer, had specific hooks for evernote.

The device has just been released, so I figured this might be a worthwhile topic to discuss. Is anyone currently using this device with Evernote?

-Ed

PS: I just ordered my galaxy note 10.1 and expect delivery later this week....will post any feedback when it arrives.

Hey guys, any luck so far? Ive got one too... the writing is a pleasure but SNote upload to evernote is a horror. It uploads attachments just as my galaxy note phone did (does). This tihng isn't going to work out for me at all if I cannot upload my handwriting in image format to be OCRd by Evernote servers. The writing feels great. So much potential here.

Are there other apps out there that Im not aware of?

Any help is appreciated

thanks!

I've still not received my "Note" and I have yet to use any android devices so I can't speak to the programs available, but are there any PDF annotation programs within which you could create handwritten notes and then export the PDF to evernote?

-Ed

I looked at the Galaxy Note Tablet. It is a pretty cool device. I currenlty have an HTC Flyer that has the stylus and use it for taking my notes for work. This has the sync with Evernote which is very valuable.

I was hoping to move to the Galaxy Note for the larger size, new technology, communication with my Samsung TVs, and batery life.

Candidly, integration with Evernote (or some other service that syncs across multiple platforms and devices, I don't think there is one) is pretty much a requirement for a work device.

The Galaxy Note will be a cool toy until this happens. I think iPads are toys too because I left finger painting when I graduated kindergarten.

Does anyone know if split-screen multi-tasking is supported by Evernote on the Galaxy Note? I'd love to be able to watch a video and take notes on it at the same time, and if Evernote works for this, I may go with the Note 10.1 > Transformer Prime.

@SlugO - I don't suppose you can write directly into Evernote?

@Nimh - No, you can type of course, but the handwriting does not work directly into Evernote as of yet :(

After playing with this thing for a few days, it has become evident that it could be a KILLER piece of hardware if the right apps come along. I have been looking at two: "Lecture Notes" and "Quill". "Lecture Notes" seems to be the one I'd choose as far as functionality + ease of use, but they both are lacking with their Evernote integration. I am going to write a letter to the devs... such a nice program, but the notebooks dont sync with your Evernote notebooks (sends the pages to default book), and if you modify one instead of modifying the evernote "note", it sends up entirely brand new pages...ugh

I received my 10.1 note yesterday and have been playing with it quite a bit....this was my first android device so some of the time I've spent getting used to the android / touchwiz interface. First off, the stylus response is excellent. It tracks input very accurately with little lag. My main purpose for the device is note taking / meeting handout markup. I've used the included S-note, Lecture Notes, and Quill programs and in my extremely limited trials found Quill to be the best in terms of handwriting (I like the fact that the pen strokes are saved as vectors and not bitmaps). I have not yet tried any annotation/markup programs so can't offer an opinion on that front.

Other impressions of the Note 10.1 in general:

* Very light weight, easy to carry

* aspect ratio is great in landscape mode, a bit thin and tall in portrait mode (not a problem since most of my use was, and probably will continue to be, in landscape)

* build quality is not on the level of an iPad. The use of plastic keeps the weight light but creates a less than "premium" feel to the device. This is not a big issue for me, but something I noticed.

* The general purpose apps included (for example S planner) while functional, do not have much visual polish.

* There has been much complaining on the 'net concerning the Note's screen. In my viewing of videos and photos it has seemed perfectly fine...to my eyes the screen is very nice, never giving the impression of an inferior display (and I own an iPad 3).

* the overall response of the tablet has been quick with no noticeable lags when switching programs or changing home screens.

* I haven't played too much with the split screen functionality, but expect that this would be a nice multi tasking option

-Ed

NimhOfJoy:

no, the split screen functionality is only supported with a few apps:

Internet browser

Polaris office

S note

photo gallery

email

I would expect that, if this tablet becomes popular, that third party apps will start to support this feature.

• 1 month later...

I've only just got my Note, so this reply is a bit amateurish.

Handwriting response in S-Note is excellent, and quite adequate for taking notes during a phone interview or writing notes during a video. But this doesn't include translating my scribblings into text. A tip - keep the pen close to the screen and your hand on the screen - that's the closest to writing in a notebook and not only speeds up writing but also makes it much neater (and smaller). If you keep the pen close, then the screen automatically rejects palm.

Am still looking for a way to get the S-Note into EverNote. If this was easy (eg S-Note saved natively into EverNote) then there would be no need to change what is supported by Split Screen - you'd just keep using S-Note.

Another Samsung product, S-Memo (on the Galaxy S3) has a handwriting recognition feature where you select the handwriting afterwards and ask it to interpret. That works OK (except the Galaxy S3 doesn't support a stylus or palm reject, so you have to avoid resting your palm on the screen whilst writing), and could be the answer for S-Note if it were available. This would mean that you'd write your notes as pen strokes, then interpret them afterwards.

I'm also going to look into Lecture Notes and Quill. Evernote used to import the Logitech io pen notes, which were based on vector pen strokes, so I'm sure it can import from other products it is just a matter of file type?

How foolish of me - I should have done some research first.

In S-Note, simply go to the Menu (top right) and select SHARE VIA

You can then select EverNote - and send it as any of the formats (jpg, PDF, snb) that S-Note exports to.

Now to find out if Evernote will read the handwriting and turn it into text? I wonder if Evernote supports snb files?

Got my note 10.1 yesterday after a couple of years with an iPad - loving it too, particularly the larger screen. I purchased it primarily because of the stylus hoping that now i could get my handwritten notes into evernote? What a disappointment to find out that the android version doesn't support inking, and exporting from apps that do either result in a single pdf which evernote can't display inline or a single image per page (which typically need to be exported individually).

What killer combination do you use? At this rate I am thinking of simply using either quills or lecture notes exclusively. Or maybe even just sticking with snote....

I am loving this note and stylus though - far far better than anything I have tried on the iPad.

(...) hoping that now i could get my handwritten notes into evernote? What a disappointment to find out that the android version doesn't support inking, and exporting from apps that do either result in a single pdf which evernote can't display inline or a single image per page (which typically need to be exported individually).

I would prefer to export as a image instead of pdf.

Did you try Skitch?

What killer combination do you use? At this rate I am thinking of simply using either quills or lecture notes exclusively. Or maybe even just sticking with snote....

I have a Asus Tranformer, wich comes with Supernote (You should also try Freenote). I write or type with my fingers. Then, generally, I export to Evernote as a image.

Sometimes I just do everything in Evernote and Skitch.

Other times, I use pen and paper, and then scan (or take a photo) into Evernote.

Sometimes I make notes with a mindmapping app.

• 3 weeks later...

S Memo on the original Galaxy Note used to sync nicely with Evernote. But they removed it from the default install of the Galaxy Note 2. Maybe you can find it on the Samsung Apps store?

Alternatively, you can try using Skitch which it pretty good for annotating images. I used to use it for taking had written notes, but the latest version doesn't work so smoothly for that purpose...

I juste got a Samsung note 2 :) and whit it the S-note app. Witch sync is note (in .snb file format) in Evernote.

But Evernote cant read it or work whit it.

Is ther a way to make it work?

Here's an update: try Sharing the note taken with S-Note rather than Sync-ing it with Evernote. The S-Note note gets converted to an image and is attached to a new Evernote note.

• 2 weeks later...

I downloaded the Evernote app onto my Galaxy Note 10.1 then connected to my Evernote account. The notes were observed, however all associated tags were lost when viewing with the Galaxy. Not sure what is going on, but Evernote on the Galaxy Note 10.1 is of little value unless I can identify a fix. I would especially prefer the layout to appear as observed on my laptop computer.

Jack

• 2 weeks later...
Here's an update: try Sharing the note taken with S-Note rather than Sync-ing it with Evernote. The S-Note note gets converted to an image and is attached to a new Evernote note.

Bingo! Thank you, I was getting frustrated trying to get this to happen.

I am using a Samsung Galaxy Note II.

In the menu for a specific S-Note (click and hold on S-Note),

1. Select 'Share Via'.
  2. Select 'Type' - Either 'Image file (.jpg)' or 'PDF file (.pdf)'. 'Plain Text' and 'S Note file (.snb)' will not work.
  3. Select the appropriate method, in this case 'Evernote - Create Note'.
  4. Modify the Evernote note settings and/or content.
  5. Select the Evernote check-mark icon to save to Evernote.

This must be done for each S-Note and it is obviously just a snapshot. Real sync would be great but this will work for now. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks - I think I have the answer

Have had my Note 10.1 for about a month, and the first thing i did was look for a handwriting app. Mazec is by a long way the best (reasons why it is better than WritePad below).

I can't type and focus on the person in front of me at the same time, whereas i can hand write and focus. Therefore a laptop is out, both for telephone interviews and for face to face interviews. I keep my notes in Evernote because i can find them easily. Sounds exactly like everyone's situation here.

Well both Mazec and WritePad let you replace the standard keyboard entry with a handwriting area, so anything you write in the handwriting area is simply "posted" as text to the app that's open - and that includes Evernote.

WritePad seems to require that I write in big bold rounded handwriting, which isn't the way i write (I'm a doctor - what do you expect?!). In fact, WritePad won't even work if you write too small. This is a great disappointment since I have used PhatWare software on previous handheld personal organisers.

Mazec https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sevenknowledge.sevennotesproducten is much more forgiving. Both are much better if you write in phrases or whole sentences than if you try to recognise individual words (at least with my handwriting).

I can write fast enough in Mazec to carry on a normal conversation and keep track of what was said. Of course the results are sometimes as difficult to decipher as my handwriting in an ordinary paper notebook (ie about one sentence in 20 is a bit mad, but the rest is pretty much word perfect), but it has saved me re-typing my notes from the paper notebook into Evernote, and I have my notes from each interview all ready for any analysis i need to do, or to forward to colleagues, immediately.

NOTE this isn't a calligraphic representation of my doodles and sketches, and Evernote can't do mindmaps on the fly on Android, it is simply the electronic text. Therefore it isn't like Quill or Lecture Notes (both of which I bought and paid for to see if they would do what I want) which is simply an electronic image of where your pen went. If I need a picture or illustration, I switch to S-Note (or better, Mobile Sketchpad) for drawings and MindJet for Mind Maps (MindJet also takes handwriting input from Mazec as though you were typing on the keyboard), and then do a screen capture and put the screen capture into Evernote. I'm sure I should use "export as PDF" but I've found a way that works for me.

Hope this helps more people make the decision.

I also use Adobe Ideas a lot for drawing, and I use the S-Pen by preference for controlling the Note 10.1. I can even go forwards/ back in videos fairly accurately using the S-Pen, whereas my fingers are simply too stubby.

Now I'm looking for good voice-to-text for Android, which i need sometimes (though not for interviews - too likely to make mistakes or pick up background noise).

Hi everyone, I'd like so much for Evernote on Galaxy Note :

1) Get smaller writing, or a setting to change its size, it's to big for me by default

2) Could we one day, will we be able to take manuscript / pen notes like in computer version

3) Could we please customize / change background color ?

( I enjoy lecture notes a lot because I can set a black background with soft & small grey cube-lines background - for spatial recognition )

Regards, merry christmas

• 2 weeks later...

Snote syncs with evernote, as well as several other apps that will. with s note you can just choose the menu button while you are at the main screen for snote, folder view I suppose it would be. Then you can choose google docs or evernote to sync with but there are so many options and ways to accomplish this Reply if you need help with your specific scenario.

This is a good workaround, but its tough! I'm trying to replace typing notes into SimpleNote on my iphone which syncs marvelously to the cloud...to migrate to the Note 2 that I have so I can just take notes in meetings and it sync to the cloud automatically.

I'm sure there might be a way via Dropbox or somesuch maybe...?

Here's hoping!

• 2 weeks later...

I just read KentL's note about handwriting in Evernote (I'm a new Evernote user and have had the Note 10.1 for a few months). I encountered two issues I hope someone can help with.

First, the good news. I was able to open a new note in Evernote and use the handwriting recognition feature from the Note to work. This is a breakthrough for me! Thank you KentL!

First question: I was able to get a new note open in Evernote and use my handwriting recognition function from the Note 10.1. However, is there an easy way to just handwrite directly into Evernote without the handwriting recognition function? Is this a change in settings I need to make to enable this?

Now the bad news. I got all giddy and went to synch all my S-note files in Evernote. They all went in as .snb files, which Evernote can't seem to open.

Second question: Is there a way for me to easily delete the synch'd files and then re-synch using PDFs or some other format that is Evenote friendly? Is there an easy way to do this without having to do the S-notes one a time?

Many thanks!

The REAL question here is why Samsung choose the OBSCURE .snb standard for their Notes app? I mean has anyone in the Western Hemisphere ever even heard of this standard before? Not only is it obscure, Samsung's brand of .snb can't even be read by .snb readers! You literally CANNOT view .snb content on a PC, period.

Now what GENIUS at Samsung decided THAT was a good idea?

S-Notes could be a OneNote killer but it seem the INTENTIONALLY made it lame. Who INTENTIONALLY makes their software lame? Oh yeah, Windows 8, almost forgot :).

You guys know that you can use the handwriting input on the Note to write directly to Evernote, right? I take notes natively in Evernote using handwriting input all the time!

Hi Kent L.

Can you please elaborate on the steps of how you use "direct" handwriting input to Evernote in the Android platform?

I am familiar about using the Penultimate app but its limited to Evernote for Ipad only so far.

Is there a button or sth, I need to select to use handwriting? Is that a feature specific in the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet?

I am using Evernote Android on Asus Transformer Prime and I am only able to use the virtual keyboard as input.

Thanks,

Hey Folks...

Anyone using Evernote on the new Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet? I did a forum search for "galaxy note 10.1" and was surprised to find no hits. It would seem to me that the integral wacom stylus feature of this tablet would make it an ideal evernote device. I know that previous tablets, like the HTC Flyer, had specific hooks for evernote.

The device has just been released, so I figured this might be a worthwhile topic to discuss. Is anyone currently using this device with Evernote?

-Ed

PS: I just ordered my galaxy note 10.1 and expect delivery later this week....will post any feedback when it arrives.

Hi Ed,

Thanks for starting this topic.

Now that you have used your Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet for few months & hopefully got to fully explore the handwriting integration with Evernote; could you please provide some feed back?

Do you feel any issues with palm rejection? Can your palm rest on the screen and you can still write using the stylus without any problems?

Being able to take hand written notes in digital format and integrate it with Evernote is my need.

I had bought Asus Transformer prime & hoped its SuperNote would work. Unfortunately, it fails miserably because it does NOT have any palm rejection algorithm. And I cannot get used to write with fingers.

I am thinking of the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet for meeting my specific need.

Thanks,

Hi Zephyr2020 - wonder if I'm missing something?

1) as far as I can see, EverNote will IMPORT a picture (instead of actually importing, you can SHARE from the other application), but as for text, it will only take ASCII characters. This means that if you want to draw something or write in handwriting and keep the handwriting, then you need to use another application to draw and write, then SHARE it to Evernote

1.1 Evernote can't read .snb files (from S-Note) directly - you need to export as PDF or GIF or something. I believe that once you have the PDF or GIF files in Evernote, you can tell Evernote for Windows to decipher the text

2) if you want to hand-write and have your handwriting translated to text, then you need a translator. This is just like a keyboard, in the sense that when you are using a keyboard you are simply prodding different parts of the screen and the tablet has to work out what you mean by prodding this part of the screen "Q" or that part "N". All Evernote cares about is the text that comes out at the other end

2.1 you can try to use the handwriting recognition that comes with Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, but for me, it doesn't keep up with my train of thought

2.2 that's why I tried a few and decided that Mazec is the one to go for. You do need to write boldly, and it will get used to the words you normally use and the squiggles that you use to write these words over time.

2.3 if I want to put a sketch into Evernote, I do it in Mobile Sketch or some similar drawing programme, do a screen capture (one of the icons bottom left near "Back" / "Home" / "Recent Programmes") and tell Evernote to import the screen capture. It's fast and I don't lose my train of thought. Mobile Sketch will of course take handwriting - it doesn't care, as far as it is concerned, handwriting is just squiggles the same as drawings are

3) if you want to save handwriting and sketches, then Evernote may not be the ideal tool. But if you save handwriting and sketches, then you can't search for keywords. Apps like Lecture Notes are specially designed for this kind of task.

Have I just made it more complicated, or does this help?

DumbMonkey

@Zephyr2020:

I probably should have posted to this thread earlier, but I returned my galaxy note after a few weeks of purchasing....it just didn't make my note taking easier. It was close but just didn't do it for me. I'm still looking for a solution and am interested in the rumored Galaxy Note 8 which might be introduced @ mobile world congress soon. The addition of the latest android OS along with a smaller/lighter form factor and lower price point (as compared to the galaxy note 10.1) has me seriously considering revisiting this device family.

-Ed

I take hand written notes on my Galaxy Note 10.1 every day. I take notes of phone calls, meetings etc. They convert to text using MAZEC as others have mentioned here. This has replaced my livescribe pen that I was using before. For me it works very well - much better than Livescribe. I get a separate note for each item with the date and time automatically recorded and they are converted to text. I have had no problem with the handwriting recognition and I can quickly switch to the Mazec keyboard if I want to write out a phone number or email address where I find the keyboard easier to ensure I have each character correct.

Regards

Stephen J

Another good question is what is the purpose of the Sync to Evernote, if Evernote cannot read it? There are only two options to sync: Google Docs and Evernote. Now I can see why you'd sync to cloud storage, but why EN?

ed_in_nj:

You should look into Livescribe. I have the Echo pen and just love it. It's just like writing on paper, and it syncs perfectly with Evernote. It has a feature where you can record and it ties the recording to your notes. The new pen (Sky) features a Wi-Fi capability to sync automatically, so keeping the Galaxy Note would have made it fantastic, IMHO.

I use it for work, since in many meetings I am not allowed to have a computer device.

look it up: www.livescribe.com

J-P:

I have and use the livescribe system - and I like it very much...I do wish the pen was somewhat thinner as it causes my hand to cramp up during long meetings. A livescribe tablet app, for me, would be a great update/addition - see the following links:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/02/29/galaxy-note-killer-app-of-my-dreams-livescribe-smartpen/

https://support.livescribe.com/entries/20985401

OK. Everyone's making this way too complicated. Just download Skitch onto your Note (2). Choose 'start from blank', select a thin pen tool, zoom in so you have space to write. Skitch saves straight to Evernote in a format that is not only readable but (as long as you have a premium Evernote account) also searchable. Done, no?

this is what works for me. Just use the handwriting to text input method on the Samsung Keyboard with s note. I use one of the Memo templates that has things like date time etc... when you share, you first it will give you options that includes text only, You then can select ever note So it will then only send the text that is just like you typed it in Ever note. I like the template because it will also include the things like attendees, time stamp,etc...

Like some on e else mentioned, you could also just open ever note t use the handwriting input method on the Samsung keyboard. I have terrible writing but it works great. You could then opend Sketch for any drawings.

The problem w/s note is its.Snb files aren't great sharing. Then what happens it you stop using that application? I am going to use Ever note t have the natural ability to handwrite for meetings & stillthe ability to add drawings, pies o sketches inside Ever note. I Can then easily share since Ever note is compatible & Searchable with ALL of my devices. It also has the audio record option.

I did look at Live scribe but the problem is I need a tablet or computer anyway if I wanted to search notes.The handwriting → text Keyboard gives me the same natural note taking I want with the power of having all the electronic into I need at my fingertips.

Ever note also has the checkboxes and easy format options I can quickly select. The only trade off is it I want to draw circles or lines pointing to text but that is pretty rare for my daily note taking for meetings.

now it I could take a combo of handwriting to text + include any of my lines r circles that is searchable all in Ever note that would be way cool. Livekribe basically does just that and is searchable, They also have a add on by my script that Can convert my handwriting to text . But it only will take the text which is just like the share option on my tablet. I still don't have the electronic into or search features it I just walk into a meeting with a Live scribe journal.

Any thoughts or comments?

I just got a new Galaxy Note today and I'm having a ton of trouble getting handwriting as a way to enter my notes in Evernote at least using the Samsung Keyboard.

However, I have no problems after installing the Swype keyboard (which I've already been using on my other devices), enabling handwriting in that, and handwriting my notes with the assistance of the S-Pen.

beta.swype.com

• 4 weeks later...

Bingo! Thank you, I was getting frustrated trying to get this to happen.

I am using a Samsung Galaxy Note II.

In the menu for a specific S-Note (click and hold on S-Note),

• Select 'Share Via'.
  • Select 'Type' - Either 'Image file (.jpg)' or 'PDF file (.pdf)'. 'Plain Text' and 'S Note file (.snb)' will not work.
  • Select the appropriate method, in this case 'Evernote - Create Note'.
  • Modify the Evernote note settings and/or content.
  • Select the Evernote check-mark icon to save to Evernote.
This must be done for each S-Note and it is obviously just a snapshot. Real sync would be great but this will work for now. Thanks again!

This works for me, thanks for the tip

Yes we should all request better Samsaung Note 2 intergration into Evernote.

For Alex at the Office, if that's your real name, Check out why you are using Evernote all wrong

• 1 month later...

OK, so after figuring out how to get the Gmail-synced notes from my old iPhone into Evernote (http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/37916-getting-my-iphone-notes-into-evernote/), I'm now having trouble getting the non-Gmail-synced notes into Evernote. Here is what I have been trying.

First, I used the Samsung Smart Switch utility to copy these notes to my new Galaxy S4. I understand that it is impossible to sync up with Evernote from the iPhone Notes app, so my idea was to get the Notes onto my S4 first - thinking I could perhaps find a way to sync them with Evernote from there. So the Smart Switch utility imports the iPhone Notes and places them into the S-Memo app. This worked. So my new goal is to figure out how to get the notes from S-Memo into Evernote.

Now, anyone who has tried this will be aware that it is also a nightmare. Sure, you can export the files as JPGs or PDFs - but that is basically useless because they're no longer just regular, editable notes like any other Evernote note. The other option is to export the S-Memo note as an SNB file, and what it does is actually laughable. It converts the note to an (otherwise unreadable) SNB file, and creates a new Evernote note with that SNB file as an attachment. So you ultimately end up with an unreadable file attached to an Evernote note. What the....? Why can't they simply export the actual note?

So my question is... has anyone done this successfully? Has anyone found a workaround to get SNB files properly onto Evernote? And by 'properly' I mean simply importing them as normal notes into Evernote. In other words, the way you'd actually expect the function to work.

I must say I'm a little disappointed too. I've spent 3 days researching complicated workarounds for what should be an absolutely basic feature. I love Evernote and use it a lot. But why can't it handle iPhone Notes or Samsung Notes? Think about it - how many people own either an iPhone or Samsung phone? Together, they are the vast majority of the smartphone market. Not to mention the tablet market!

Upon becoming a member of Evernote, what is the first, immediate, obvious task anyone would want to do? Get their old notes into Evernote! Yet there is no simple way to do this for iPhone Notes. And there is no simple way to do this for Samsung Notes. No simple way to do such a basic, obvious task that you'd expect people would want to do right away. Not for IPhone or Samsung - the two brands that the vast majority of tablet/smartphone owners have! Why on earth....???

• 4 weeks later...

I am also looking around for this not so much for me but for my wife who went from iphone to the S4 with 170 notes...now all in s memo and no way to get them in EN....very frustrating

Have you tried this solution?  It exports S.Memo notes as jpg or pdf, both of which would work in EN.

• 2 months later...

Hey Guys,

Recently got a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet and was exploring interaction with Evernote on the big screen.

Well, the big surprise is how well the built in handwriting to text function works. It is crazy fast and accepts input in cursive as well as block lettering. I am guessing that the quad-core processor gives it enough power to have minimal lag as text is entered.

The handwriting mode is selected by long pressing the microphone icon on the onscreen keyboard.I am a keyboard swiping fan, but handwriting seems even faster.

What a great surprise for business note taking.

Lee in Florida

• 2 weeks later...

Snote syncs with evernote, as well as several other apps that will. with s note you can just choose the menu button while you are at the main screen for snote, folder view I suppose it would be. Then you can choose google docs or evernote to sync with but there are so many options and ways to accomplish this Reply if you need help with your specific scenario.

The only useful thing would be an association of. Snb extension with the S-Note application. This is missing.

Any hint on how to do it on android? (This goes beyond Evernote)

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy Note 3. The Evernote integration is very useful.  When I first opened Evernote it said I would get a three month free premium trial and increased monthly upload allowance,  however when I signed in, it came up with an error and did not start the trial.  How do I go about getting the three month free premium trial and increased monthly upload allowance?

Many thanks

Bonganza

Works pretty well for me. Changes are reflected, though there was an initial hiccup of five copies of the same note being synced but that hasn't happened since. Syncs pretty quickly after changes are made. All fairly smooth and dandy. 

Hey BonGanza,

Congrats on the new phone! I am almost ready to pull the trigger on one too after upgrading from an iPhone 4 and had some questions for you if you don't mind?

I was wondering if you can use the S-Pen directly onto Evernote notes (ie within the app) or do you have to use the Samsung S-Notes app and 'sync' them to evernote?

Do you get an extra allowance of upload data? (i.e. Samsung & Evernote partnership)

Can the Evernote app be installed onto the SD card, and consequently, any offline notebooks be saved to the SD card?

Thanks in advance!

• Level 5*

Not much help I know,  but

S-pen or s-note and sync:  I'd suspect you need to attach / copy or otherwise embed the notes into Evernote.  There's no direct pen input that I'm aware of.

Extra allowance:  no clue - check with Samsung.

SD card - only if you root the phone,  in which case answers 1 & 2 above may be moot anyway.

;)

I have the Note II. If the S-Note app is the same in the Note III, then you'd need to export S-Notes to PDF or an image file to get them into Evernote. It claims to sync with Evernote, but all it does is store the notes as an attachment in its native format, which Evernote can't read. :-(

S-Note doesn't export real text to PDF; it's an image file. So you could get your notes from there into Evernote and have them indexed, but you wouldn't be able to edit text in the PDF later.

There are no direct ink notes into Evernote in the version that I have.

Hey BonGanza,

Congrats on the new phone! I am almost ready to pull the trigger on one too after upgrading from an iPhone 4 and had some questions for you if you don't mind?

I was wondering if you can use the S-Pen directly onto Evernote notes (ie within the app) or do you have to use the Samsung S-Notes app and 'sync' them to evernote?

Do you get an extra allowance of upload data? (i.e. Samsung & Evernote partnership)

Can the Evernote app be installed onto the SD card, and consequently, any offline notebooks be saved to the SD card?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks, so far is a great phone, awesome screen, shame about the region lock (have euro model).

No, you can't use s-pen directly in Evernote, only s-note, but the s-note does sync very well without having to do anything extra.

Re-extra allowance, still waiting to hear back from my support ticket... will let you know

I have the Note II. If the S-Note app is the same in the Note III, then you'd need to export S-Notes to PDF or an image file to get them into Evernote. It claims to sync with Evernote, but all it does is store the notes as an attachment in its native format, which Evernote can't read. :-(

S-Note doesn't export real text to PDF; it's an image file. So you could get your notes from there into Evernote and have them indexed, but you wouldn't be able to edit text in the PDF later.

There are no direct ink notes into Evernote in the version that I have.

Had a Note 2 also - on the Note 3 it is a completely different app, no need to export.

The file that is saved is an image (.spd file?), so cannot edit on a desktop, but you can see it and the desktop app can read it fine.  When you open the note on the phone using the evernote app, it automatically opens s-note.

Let me know if you have any other questions.  Happy to help out.

SD card - only if you root the phone,  in which case answers 1 & 2 above may be moot anyway.

;)

Hold on!

The Galaxy Note 3 has the ability to move apps over to the SD. It would be very nice to know if Evernote also can be installed this way. Can someone please try this?

I use S Note on my Note 8.0 to take lecture notes in my engineering classes (I prefer S Note because of some of its shape drawing and function input tools, which are incredibly handy for engineering notes). I've tried to get it to sync with Evernote, Google Docs, and my Samsung account, but none of them seem to work. Exporting them one at a time doesn't really work as well for me, since I use one notebook for each class, and just add a section for each lecture. How have you gotten the sync function to work?

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I read that Note3s would include a free 12month Premium account for Evernote, but I did not ever get that option with my Sprint Note3.  Can anyone clarify if this was just rumor or specific to perhaps certain carriers?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a Samsung tab 3. I installed Evernote, created the account and entered the account in S Note.. synced and.... NOTHING.. it is simply not syncing.. people at AT&T "tech" don't even know what "Evernote" and S Note app is!

please help

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any information on possible integration of evernote with existing S-Note application on Samsung mobiles and tablets. According to this blog post last month, evernote is to be integrated to the new S-Note application on the Galaxy Note 3. I just wanted to check if anyone has more information on when this feature will be rolled out to existing devices with S-Note (e.g. Galaxy Note 10.1). 

Apologies if this topic has been covered already. I know it's not really an EverNote issue, but I thought someone here may have more information. 

• 2 weeks later...

This feature works great on both my Galaxy Note 3 and my Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition.   In fact, I hadn't paid much attention to it in the first day or two of getting to know these two devices, and was shocked to see my "Hello World" S-Note show up in EverNote, just like that.   It's a cool integration.

I notice that the Samsung Apps Store currently has R. 5.4.2, whereas today R. 5.5 was announced and made available in the Google Play Store.   So far, I've been assuming that the Samsung Download is necessary for compatibility with Samsung Multi Window support on the Galaxy Note series.   Is this true, and if so, when will Samsung get the upgrade to 5.5?  If it is not true, then I can safely switch over to the Google Play Store to stay on the latest release?

Thanks,

Dan

I have an Evernote account, which allows the Samsung App S-Note3 to sync all of my notes, but I have noticed that every time I upgrade Evernote, all of the sync'd Snotes, are sent to trash. This has happened over the last 2 updates. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 8.

Any ideas on how to alter this ?

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if anyone with the latest  Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) tablet can comment on how well it integrates Evernote. I'm considering this tablet but have no experience with the S-Pen or S-Notes. Because I'm  a heavy Evernote user and am moving towards a paperless household, I thought the S-Pen feature would be a reason to spend up on this particular tablet.. I don't have a specific question about it. I'd just like to know in  what ways the S Pen functionality enhances the Evernote tablet experience for you (or not). Thanks! 

I've been looking at the Galaxy Note 8.0 and read in a review (cannot remember where) that Evernote (and most other apps) do NOT support the S-Pen. The Samsung supplied apps that specifically support the S-Pen are probably all you will see. It's a small market to be modifying apps for.

Having said that I was extremely impressed that the S-Note app could read my very messy handwriting and accurately convert it into text. Never having used a tablet before, or Evernote on a tablet - I'm not sure if cut-n-paste or Evernote Clipper (if it exists on the android) would work in transferring written notes to Evernote.

Sorry I didn't have better news - would ove to see EN support the S-Pen - but I doubt it will ever happen.

-John

Hello bttrflygrl,

I have the Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) tablet a few days.

The best way i have found so far to use the S-Pen is the "S-Note"-Software. It is possible to connect this software to Evernote (EN).

Once connected, your notes from S-Note will be saved in EN in two ways: 

1. An imagefile (m.E. png, but I'm not shure)
This is helpful, if you want to look at your Notes from Windows-PCs, because there are no software to open S-Notes from there.

2. The notebook itself get's saved in EN! :-)

This was the wanted "Killer-Feature" to me. It is possible to access your Notes in two ways: from S-Note AND from EN as well. A very nice integration.

Every notebook results in ONE Evernote-Note, every new page will be shown in this note as well. You can build as much notebooks as you want.

I tried "Lecture Notes" as well:

LN is a very powerful Software to take notes and it offers an EN-Integration. BUT: LN only saves Images from your notes, so it is a ONE-WAY-Solution. The notebooks itself don't get saved in EN.

Apart from this, LN is to me a must have App for this tablet.

Other Apps (I do a lot of scribbling with Sketchbook) just offers similar functions: exporting images to EN.

S-Pen and EN:

As far as I know, EN offers no function to show a "plain paper"-equivalent to write immediately. For this purpose you need Skitch for example.

But: It is possible to use the handwriting option of your Samsung-Typing-App and the recognition depends on your handwriting skills.

For short notes (a reminder, for example) this is a good solution.

Long notes are better taken with S-Notes and S-Pen.

Kind regards,

Olli

I just got a Note 10.1 and am enjoying this feature. I am having trouble however viewing the notes on my mac and PC. The pen-written notes or drawings are coming through in low fidelity and are very difficult to read.  Any idea if I am doing something wrong - or if i am missing a step? I know i can export to PDF to see them well on a mac or PC, but that obviously isn't optimal.

Thanks!

Hi

I've just purchased a galaxy note 10.1 2014 edition which had S note and Evernote already set up to sync with each other - which is great.

I would like to know why you can copy and paste text from S note to Evernote but when you try to do the same for an image there is no response!! Thanks for any help.

Most of my notes disappeared from both my phone and on the Evernote site. Sounds like first attempt at recovery is to do a clean install. I have no idea how to do this. I originally downloaded the app onto my Samsung Galaxy S3. Then I received an email and an account was opened on the Evernote site. Evernote is not an app on my MacBook. Where am I supposed to do the clean install? On my phone? That won't erase my account? Thanks for any help to the needy and confused.

I have recently purchase a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition. It integrated with S-Note with Evernote so that every single note will be sync with my Evernote account.

I would like to ask the following

Does Evernote run OCR on the notes from S-Notes so that it makes the Evernote search able to search the contents in the notes ?

Thank you very much!

Wong Wai Yin 

I have enjoyed the SNote integration up until the last Evernote update Now my syncing is pretty erratic. I have duplicate notes that find their way back to the SNote application, and some of those notes are deleted without my command.

I also noticed that if I move the synced notes to a stack of my creation, if they're updated within SNote, the updated note appears in the inbox rather than the assigned stack.

Anyone else experiencing this issue.

Archived