Ever Better: Refreshing the Evernote Brand Read more... ×

Idea

Oh wow! Thanks for the Boostnote reference. I'm trying it out now and it's great for my code snippet needs! It doesn't replace Evernote (because I wasn't using Evernote for code snippets) but it's a fantastic adjunct and replaces a bunch of text files. 

No mobile is no biggie because I don't code on mobile. And I'm storing the files on Dropbox, so it ought to sync between machines. (Will know more next week when I try it on my other machine.)

8 hours ago, Doff said:

Check out Boostnote - have multiple themes, including a dark one.

I like using alternate editors with Evernote but there's a huge choice.
Why Boostnote over any of the other editors that also offer Dark Mode?

The notes in Boostnote seem to be embedded in an internal database.  I'm not seeing a separate note file that I can use

The web page lists these features

• Desktop app (Mac, Windows, Linux)
  • No Internet Required
  • Finder Popup(Quick search and copy/paste)
  • Latex Support
  • Multiple Hotkeys
  • Markdown/Snippet Note

On 08/07/2017 at 0:33 AM, morphine said:

I think that Boostnote is absolutely great, but it's not directly comparable to Evernote since it has no synchronization capabilities nor iOS applications. :( 

No iOS and no Android is the biggest concern - true. I think the request is there, but the project is 6 month old and in that time a lot has been achieved! I am sure mobile will come too.

As for sync - just create your folders in Dropbox and here you go - sync is there.

For my purposes it is even better - I can control as to what sharing service I use (and I use also a private one, super encrypted, yada yada yada).

On 08/07/2017 at 2:38 AM, DTLow said:

The notes in Boostnote seem to be embedded in an internal database.  I'm not seeing a separate note file that I can use

Yes and no.

Internal database is a set of JSON files (check in Menu -> Storages).

You can have multiple storages, and multiple files. All human readable. Can be put anywhere.

I've been using Boostnote for a couple of weeks now, synced across two machines via Dropbox, with no problems.

Not a replacement for EN for most people I'd think, as it's very plain-text based. So not inter-note linking, no font resizing/coloring/bolding, etc., no tables, no embedded images, etc. 

But for code snippets or other plain text notes it's pretty good!

I can suggest you the following solution for a dark theme when using Evernote from a Web browser. There is a "theme manager" called Stylish, which provides a way to install themes for different websites (not just Evernote, so you can use it for other "white" sites).

Steps for installation:

1. Install Stylish:
- for Chrome - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/stylish-custom-themes-for/fjnbnpbmkenffdnngjfgmeleoegfcffe?hl=en
- for Mozilla Firefox - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/stylish/
2.Install a dark theme:
- a dark theme for all web sites - https://userstyles.org/styles/47391/midnight-surfing-alternative
- dark themes for Evernote:
    1. https://userstyles.org/styles/113637/evernote-dark-theme
    2. https://userstyles.org/styles/114069/dark-evernote

• Like 1

ALTERNATIVES TO EVERNOTE LETS FIND THEM TOGETHER

I've been using evernote for A BETTER PART OF A DECADE now, i use it everyday. It helps me keep track of all of my work and research. I'm often up late at night using it on several monitors and i could really use a dark skin. This is my second time posting this here.... Came back after a few years to mention it again.... Maybe i should say this in large print. 

ORIGNAL POST WAS 4 YEARS AGO, AND STILL NO DARK SKIN ?

Really guys.... how is this taking so long? I'm flabbergasted with this corporation now. I've been receiving this email from this particular thread for years. How can the team not notice? This corrupt corporation is so out of touch...

I'm starting to lose faith in this software package altogether. I think I'm going to exlore alternatives now. Pencils down, time's up for the greedy evernote failure team.

Here's a list of alternatives to EVERNOTE:

Trello

TaskWorld

Tag Spaces

turtl

workflowy 

quip

process street

OneNote

Tyto

I could go on, but i have work to do... and i just can't take "evenote" with me anymore.

The reality of it is that Evernote is just out of date. There are better ways to manage the data in your life. I think it's time for all of us to take the next step on that journey... away from evernote. 

"It’s about time we ditched the hype and take control of our data. There is life after Evernote. There are many available alternatives, that offer different approaches, all catering for different needs. Whether you are after the super-simple, or the super-customisable, the tech giant’s cloud service or the totally independent, fully privacy-conscious off-line solution, there are choices that allow you to avoid being extorted, and continue being just as productive, as you have always been." - Lets face it team, ya blew it. It's time to lose customers now.

• Like 2

I'm very sympathetic to andredoumad's point of view; this is absolutely insane.

However, there MIGHT be a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.

If you access the "secret" help menu in the Windows desktop client by holding down the CTRL key while selecting the Help pulldown menu, you'll notice a new choice at the very bottom:  "Export Themes definition file."

If you select that, Evernote will indeed export a file named Themes.xml.  You're not prompted for a save location, but in my case, it ended up on my Windows desktop.  And if you look at this file (any text editor will do), you'll see that it has the theme definitions for the two themes currently set in Options | General | User Interface | Left panel theme.

Yes, currently the definition file only lists the left-panel themes, but what's fascinating is this:

By default, there is no Themes.xml file anywhere in your Evernote installation folder or its subfolders, but, if, after editing the exported Themes.xml file, you then move or copy it to the main Evernote program directory (perhaps C:\Program Files\Evernote\Evernote), henceforth Evernote will use the values defined in Themes.xml.

An easy test: simply edit Themes.xml file to change this:

<DisplayName lang="en">Light</DisplayName>

To this:

<DisplayName lang="en">This Sucks!</DisplayName>

Close, and relaunch Evernote, and you'll see the drop down menu choices at Options | General | User Interface | Left panel theme are now "Default (dark)" and "This Sucks!"

I spent some time yesterday trying to add theme values for the note background (adding XML for elements called "note," "notes," and "en-note") but none of them worked. But clearly the infrastructure is in place for user-defined theming. 

Note if you make a mistake in the XML so the file is invalid, you don't get an error message, but Evernote simply defaults to the built-in theme values (which are stored as plain text in Evernote.exe).

After four years of being ignored by Evernote on this simple issue, I don't want to get my hopes up too high yet, but, as I said, there's a glimmer here.

All best wishes.

Sergey Voronov, thank you, thank you, thank you!  Dark Reader, which you recommended is fantastic; I'd tried a lot of night-mode / dark-them Chrome extensions, but none had the flexibility of this one.  I'm very pleased.

In Chrome, I've paired it with this theme: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/material-theme/mdnphgdednjnpcoeamekbogoblkdajep

I agree with you that this isn't a complete solution for Evernote, as the web interface is not as feature-rich or fast as the desktop client, but, nonetheless, you've made my day!

All best wishes.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2013 at 6:16 AM, TechBarber said:

Whenever there is an option to go "dark", I turn it off. Reader apps, stock apps etc...doesn't matter. 

Black backgrounds make my eyes go wonky  :wacko:

Not trying to start a flame war - just wondering what the perceived advantages of going dark are? 

I mean, paper is white. Can you imagine if the world used black paper with white pen? Ewe

One huge difference about your sheet of paper though, it only reflects light.. it doesn't emit it's own.. put it in dim light, it's not going to blind you.. take that screen though and place in a dark environment.. then you will immediately be able to tell the difference.  Some of us have limits on how much light you can throw in our eyes and not have us pay a price for trying to deal with it.. so, you're comparing that with something that is, to us, completely different.  Do you see a little better now.. another point of view & preference.?  I hope so. This same thing keeps popping up from the very beginning of this thread and it kind of surprises me that the most basic difference isn't glaringly obvious. *shrug

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, mtRoom said:

I'm sorry but It couldn't be that great a task, a simple alteration of a few colours, to be ignored for 6 years. 

I don't totally agree. I want this dark theme too, but it's not just a dark/black background for notes. I would be curious to know the percentage of people who only use Evernote to clip web pages. However, I think that's where the difficulty lies, not just for notes. If you look at the competition (OneNote) there is no dark theme either. If you register a web page, you can then change the page color AFTER (with more options for the UWP App than for the desktop version), but by default the page is white.

In my opinion, it's too complex, too many parameters and they don't want to get bored with it.

28 minutes ago, mtRoom said:

Well even just a dark theme for notes I'd be happy enough with myself and it's better than nothing at all. The lesser the task the more likely they'll be willing to take it on.board. And conversely, the greater the task, the less willing. 

I'd be very surprised if it would be possible to do what you want to do: it would be like doing two applications in one, and since you're talking about ease, that's really not the case.

46 minutes ago, Myrddin R Emrys said:

I don't think anyone's expecting a in-program theme to do anything to "clipped web pages" so, that should be a non-issue.

What I believe we're all desiring is the interface and work areas that we create in, texts, lists, reports, etc to be themed, not changing the colors of imported or other graphics.  Nobody's asking it to be a one-in-all converter of html, css, svg or whatever.. that would truly be on the insane side.

Just a dark theme, you know, like you can pick for overall use in Win10..., and a growing number of other apps daily.

I don't think you understood what I meant. Evernote is not just an application of notes and that's where I think the problem lies. If it's so simple as to create an app like UWP in Windows 10 with a dark theme, it would have been done long ago, or no Evernote is versatile and it represents something else than changing the background color and the color of the font to go with it.
All the people I know around me basically use Evernote to back up web pages (otherwise, why do I need large data quotas for paying users? Certainly not to record three pdf's per month), and then I honestly don't know what it would do. I use the example of OneNote again, there is no dark theme , either in OneNote for Windows 10 or in the application of the Office suite. If that's the case, there is a good reason, it's not just Evernote. On the other hand, with OneNote, you can color the pages, which is not the case with Evernote, and that's what you need, not a theme, but to be able to color the pages as you want, which allows you to color save web pages, like created notes.

5 minutes ago, David_C. said:

I don't think you understood what I meant. Evernote is not just an application of notes and that's where I think the problem lies. If it's so simple as to create an app like UWP in Windows 10 with a dark theme, it would have been done long ago, or no Evernote is versatile and it represents something else than changing the background color and the color of the font to go with it.
All the people I know around me basically use Evernote to back up web pages (otherwise, why do I need large data quotas for paying users? Certainly not to record three pdf's per month), and then I honestly don't know what it would do. I use the example of OneNote again, there is no dark theme , either in OneNote for Windows 10 or in the application of the Office suite. If that's the case, there is a good reason, it's not just Evernote. On the other hand, with OneNote, you can color the pages, which is not the case with Evernote, and that's what you need, not a theme, but to be able to color the pages as you want, which allows you to color save web pages, like created notes.

So it would be a dark theme with ugly white-background clipped images in it. That's fine with us!

It can be left to the user to invert the color of any clipped images they put in there if they want to go to the trouble. We understand that asking Evernote to do that as a built-in feature would be difficult because of how bad a direct color inversion is likely to look so it'd be really hard to optimize. But at least give us the option to have a dark theme and let us deal with images. 

I submitted this support ticket (#2260013) just now:

Dark Theme request unanswered for four years now

It's been four years since 30 October 2013, when a request for a dark theme for the Windows client was posted on the Evernote discussion forum.  Four years, and 20 pages of comments supporting the request ... and not a peep out of Evernote.  Your paying customers -- and I am one -- deserve better than to be totally and completely ignored year after year after year after year.  See:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/45681-dark-theme/ 

And I've tweeted to @Evernote, @EvernoteHelps, and to Evernote CEO @croneill:

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, RobertJSawyer said:

I submitted this support ticket just now:

I understand the request as posted here.  I don't understand why you would open a support ticket

Just now, DTLow said:

I understand the request as posted here.  I don't understand why you would open a support ticket

Well, my dear guru, if you go to Help and Learning | Submit a Request | What can we help you with? you'll see one option is: Technical Issues / Other / User Interface Issue.  And if a user-interface issue is severe enough that people are ceasing to be paying customers because of it or switching to a competing product (usually Microsoft's free OneNote), then support is warranted.

Another reason is so that no one at Evernote can say any longer, hey, we never saw the request -- four years on, and we never saw it.  It's LOGGED now; it has to be responded to.  And no one can say that we've been insufficiently patient before raising a support ticket: we've waited four years pursuing this issue through this channel, to absolutely no avail.

• Like 1

There is, as you surely know, at every software company, feedback FROM support TO the development team, and, as end users, with Evernote, as with most software companies, our only feedback mechanism is to support, not directly to the development team. Anyway, good night.

Please stop wasting bandwidth, DTLow.  Obviously, the whole point is that this issue has been ignored or not seen for four years in this venue -- and your posts have NOTHING TO DO with the issue this thread is devoted to.

As far as your claim that "Evernote set up these forums to obtain user feedback," you yourself posted not six hours ago in another thread:

This is a user discussion forum. You can contact Evernote Support at Paid Accounts Contact Evernote Support All Accounts Twitter @evernotehelps

35 minutes ago, RobertJSawyer said:

As far as your claim that "Evernote set up these forums to obtain user feedback," you yourself posted not six hours ago in another thread:

Confirmed; in the Help Forum, assisting a user with a technical issue (table  column width) I provided the contact information for Support.  I  also include  the information below in my signature section. 

1 hour ago, kmkonline said:

Interesting, but I'm not enthused about hacking the application.  I'd prefer the change come from the Evernote developers

According to the documentation, Tusk allows

D849E8D1-7378-4E59-9A3A-E173DCF94AC6.thumb.png.edfbe5fa030e48bb4f400c111319171c.png

• Like 1

Very funny :lol:

Only the CEO answered on twitter with following words: "Working on it :-)" 

This was on October 30th. Now, more than a month after his tweet, nothing changed. Like, is it that hard to add a few lines in your software? I guess, it would take about 30-40 minutes to create a dark theme.

Don't they have developers? Or are they just so bad ;)

• Like 2

I found a partial solution for the Mac client: 

Replace content of

/Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/Resources/common-editor-mac/ce.css

to:

* {
    background: #000;
    color: gray;
    font-size: 20px;
}

You will get:

5a507c27612e3_ScreenShot2018-01-06at10_34_30AM.thumb.png.2b324bfaa5f6306e0eec335afcc67940.png

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, zdanevich said:

Replace content of

to:

* {
}

You will get:

5a507c27612e3_ScreenShot2018-01-06at10_34_30AM.thumb.png.2b324bfaa5f6306e0eec335afcc67940.png

Great !  Do you know a similar hack for windows client?

Edit: I also wonder where I can find this ce.css for the windows client if they share  a common editor implementation now?

Edited by eric99
common editor question

7 minutes ago, TK0047 said:

Dark theme along with ability to color code notes would be really nice for me.

Evernote doesn't seem to consider dark theme a priority

I'm not able to colour my Notebooks/Tags/Titles on my Mac/IPad, but I can add emoji, like. "🚩🚩Important Note"

I also apply colour backgrounds using tables in my notes

On 1/6/2018 at 2:32 AM, zdanevich said:

Replace content of

to:

* {
}

You will get:

Well, if a brave soul wants to give it a try in Windows and let us all know, it appears to be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\EvernoteIERes\css

• Like 1

It's been a few years now, since someone made the suggestion to implement a dark theme in Evernote for Android/iOS/WebOS.

I don't know why it's taking so long or respectively, why it isn't possible for the Devs to even make one! Is it really that hard? We're near to 2018 and Evernote - one of the famoust Note Apps - still have only the "eye-burning-white-theme-at-night". Like for real: I'm not just working on Evernote during the day, I also have ideas at night, which I want to write down on my Evernote. But it's so hard then, to keep my eyes open with this awfull white theme.

So come on: I'm an Plus User, so I'm paying you guys money! Such as many many other people!

Please have the time and think about a night mode feature in your app! It's not that hard.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2017 at 12:12 AM, DTLow said:

Interesting, but I'm not enthused about hacking the application.  I'd prefer the change come from the Evernote developers

According to the documentation, Tusk allows

D849E8D1-7378-4E59-9A3A-E173DCF94AC6.thumb.png.edfbe5fa030e48bb4f400c111319171c.png

Interesting... I might do a bit of googling on this and other third party clients.  If it's open source, then I could implement the features I want (like coloured highlighting, if it's not there).

4 hours ago, DTLow said:

That's funny

Does this work for you     https://www.cultofmac.com/485362/enable-hidden-ios-11-dark-mode/

Thanks, though that is what I have been doing so far already.  The problem is that most of my other apps have built in dark themes, and one of them has annotations, underlines and highlights that were entered while using its in-app dark mode (visible across Windows, Android and IOS, same app with synced data) which means they are invisible in normal mode, so the IOS in dark mode is a bit inconvenient because of this.

• Like 1

The Tusk third party client does look interesting. Though appears to be a web wrapper, so I don't think there is annotate PDF/PPTX support (these are why I pay for Evernote Premium), and having to switch between clients to do those things will defeat the purpose of "stick it all in Evernote"

I use Sunsetscreen when I really want night mode no matter what, not often because it inverts the entire screen for all programs, but it has a handy feature that improves contrast and diminishes the brightness of whites somewhat.  

Posted (edited)

Please make this happen guys, my eyes need this desperately!

Talking about the Windows 10 app in my case btw.

Edited by Cherm
Forgot to add some info

8 minutes ago, evernomz said:

Crazy how many users they've lost to other apps because of this

I wasn't aware of that.  How many users have they lost? 

I can see there are 333 user votes for this feature request.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2018 at 1:31 PM, DTLow said:

I also apply colour backgrounds using tables in my notes

Interesting.  I just tried it by pasting my home page into a new note, it seems an imperfect solution, because when I select the background color, the foreground colors changes as well, including the color of links, so not great, but it is something I guess. 

After playing with it some more, I realize that about 20-30%  (depending on your device) of the screen remains white, plus the black background is more like dark grey, so I guess I will try other ideas for now, thanks for this one.

i thought i was the only one trying to find an answer on the dark theme issue. what kind of company leaves their customers raving for one feature and never give it to them. this is such a disappointment. :(

Please, hasten the Dark Mode! I'm a premium Evernote user and suffer too much when working in the dark (which I always do).

Your quick action on this is very appreciated.

Thank you!

With visual problems myself and a family with Irlen syndrome we struggle to read black text on a white background. I often have to make notes at night and I've stopped using Evernote and make notes in other apps because I can only see light text against a dark background. Allowing a dark theme setting that just has negative colour settings programmed should work with the Evernote logo and branding. To not provide that does feel like it's blocking accessibility for visually impaired people. I' be so pleased if you would develop that for us a d it'd be pretty as well. 

• Like 1

Evernote has clearly turned all their attention to the Enterprise market.  All sorts of new collaboration capabilities, but still no dark theme.  What we need is for an employee (or, better yet, a decision maker) at a Fortune 500 company to say they need this feature to meet their employee ergonomic goals...

• Thanks 1

On 5/12/2018 at 8:16 AM, zugzugg said:

far superior note engine like sublime.

I'm a fan of using external dedicated editors that provide the features I need.  Any format that can be stored in a note.

I'm not a Sublime user, but my impression is it's more a technical product for programmers.
From a business background, I use MS-Word/Apple-Pages and MS-Excel/Apple-Numbers.

I'm more interested in Evernote for data storage/retrieval.  The editor is useful for basic notes.

>>if

If Evernote had a $ for every user who said they would be a paying customer if ...., they would have funds to pay for such development.

Premium user also chiming in regarding a dark mode. As somebody who uses the "Dark Reader extension" and also has Visual Studio running Dark mode, and Sublime - at this point all modern IDE/editors really should support a dark-type theme. Forced white background on every note is really jarring. What's frustrating is that Evernote *ALREADY* supports a kind of dark mode.... but only in Presentation Mode. So the functionality is already there, it's just a matter of integrating it into the main editor.

• Thanks 1

macOS Mojave is now including a system wide dark mode. Hopefully this prompts Evernote to conform and provide an optional dark mode for all platforms (but at least for macOS at first). 

6 hours ago, Bye said:

Anyone knows a better alternative app that has a dark theme ? I’m uninstalling evernote

Makes sense It's pretty obvious the focus is not the customers.
But to be fair i think its a trend among software companies in general

• Thanks 1

Agreed, many companies are just pumping out code and not paying attention to what their customer base wants or needs or is even just requesting an option for.

In light of this, our monetary support is what makes the largest impact on any company selling a product. And, sharing between ourselves info regarding companies that do seem to be interested in what end-users want & need.. and definitely I want to know of any who have offerings that fit our particular avenue of interest.!

On 5/12/2018 at 10:21 AM, DTLow said:

>>if

If Evernote had a $ for every user who said they would be a paying customer if ...., they would have funds to pay for such development.

Well, I gave them some $ but, declined to continue when it became glaringly obvious they were anything but tuned-in to what features & options so many in addition to myself were repeatedly asking for.. I'm still open to resuming my financial relationship with Evernote should they ever change their stance ..but, it has been more than a couple of years now too.

On 6/12/2018 at 12:52 AM, jmason86 said:

macOS Mojave is now including a system wide dark mode. Hopefully this prompts Evernote to conform and provide an optional dark mode for all platforms (but at least for macOS at first). 

Windows 10 had long been adding dark mode to their apps, and so do many iOS apps, that's definitely the trend. EN just didn't give a damn about it, seems they are busy promoting their Business product. I won't expect too much from EN, given how old this thread is. EN could be a industry pioneer in giving user the best user experience, but they had just given up the chance.

12 hours ago, baker_tony said:

In order to use Evernote in dark mode, I'm restricted to using the web version of Evernote only, using the "dark reader" browser extension (chrome and firefox can get it). 

Nice!  While I find Evernote Web lacking, I could get used to the way this looks, among the night mode extensions I have tried, dark reader seems the best so far.

The windows client passes my functionality test like:
Image editing functionality
Ctrl V Paste for snipping tool images - A MUST Have

So today.. I paid for 1 year of Premium, Thank you!

10 mins later:
It's disappointing to not be able edit the UI, via, say, settings. I have to spend 15 mins to work out how to hack it...

+1000 for a dark UI. MY EYES ARE IMPORTANT.
Use visual studio code as an ideal UI/UX example.

Hello, "Im a Developer."   If you do manage to find a way to hack the UI more completely than what's presented in this post, please share your results.  Many eyes will thank you!

There is an open source solution that uses the web interface, but it is a software: Tusk

How I found it: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/tusk-is-a-free-evernote-client-for-windows

Official website : https://klauscfhq.github.io/tusk/

Download : https://github.com/klauscfhq/tusk/releases/tag/v0.11.0

You have to like the web interface, personally I prefer the Evernote's desktop client interface, but at least there are dark themes.

A precision, during the installation under Windows, there is no shortcut creation. Tusk is installed in C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Local\tusk\ 

So you need to create a shortcut to the.exe file on the desktop or pin it to the taskbar.

Tusk.png

I learned of a similarly purposed app called notion that has a dark mode, worth checking out in the mean time