Dark Theme/Dark Mode

Honestly, I have been checking these forums for probably a couple of years now waiting for Evernote's response to this request (not specifically this one...). I know that we all know they are shifting direction away from the Market and Workchat (thank you!) but seems like some of these quality of life improvements would be trivial to implement. Code snippets or markdown with dark theme would buy a lot of good will from the dwindling fanatics. 

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/18/2016 at 0:31 PM, EdH said:

I would just love theme support. Microsoft recently added Dark Mode to Office 365. I am not sure if it is publicly available or just on the insider ring for now, but it is there.

I personally don't care for Dark Mode in Office 365 because the other themes and the contrasts in the app are enough, but with Evernote, given the existing mode or dark mode, I'd probably go with dark mode given I cannot see the subtle differences in the 50 shades of gray.

Off-topic, where is the dark mode in O365?

On 5/10/2016 at 3:43 PM, DeAtrament said:

Honestly, I have been checking these forums for probably a couple of years now waiting for Evernote's response to this request (not specifically this one...). I know that we all know they are shifting direction away from the Market and Workchat (thank you!) but seems like some of these quality of life improvements would be trivial to implement. Code snippets or markdown with dark theme would buy a lot of good will from the dwindling fanatics. 

Exactly my point as well.

I've all but abandoned Evernote at this point.  Sick to death of waiting YEARS for code snippet / syntax highlighting features.

We are at the point now where, regardless of platform, there are plenty of other FREE options available which offer those features...

I am no longer paying for Premium out of disgust.  Shame, as the only thing keeping Evernote remotely relevant in a sea of notetaking / organization apps is purely the cross-platform benefit, whereas others tend to be tied to a single OS.

This is obviously all opinion, but I'm confident that I'm not alone in that opinion.

Wake up EN dev team and implement some things we, your loyal users, have been screaming about for YEARS YEARS YEARS now.

Otherwise, good luck w/ a dwindling fan base.

I'm generally quite happy with the upgrade to evernote 6 (also see my topic about screen estate which was mostly resolved). It was nice to see them add at least a few user options.

I do unsterstand that they want to keep some control over the way things look and try to have a clean-looking, uniform product that people can recognize (the Apple way). However it would be nice to have a couple of themes to choose from.

• a light theme -> current theme would suffice
  • a medium theme -> would be my preference. I have a 3-colum setup and would be nice to have the notebooks-section in a darker green, then the notes in a medium grey, and the note section in white (as it is now)
  • a dark theme -> I think probably coders are interested in this. In my company we use IntelliJ as an IDE and some of my colleagues have a dark theme set up. Notepad++ also has some nice, dark themes. Those could be used for inspiration...
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, macfixer said:

On Mac?

Sorry, no. Windows only AFAIK. I'll look when I get home but don't think it has a theme selector like Windows does.

17 hours ago, EdH said:

Sorry, no. Windows only AFAIK. I'll look when I get home but don't think it has a theme selector like Windows does.

Ahh. Thought I was losing it for a minute :wacko:

Right now, using Evernote is like driving a Ferrari, except the high beams are mounted to the windshield and pointing at the driver’s face. After 5 years of being an Evernote die hard, I have no choice but to throw in the towel, or they’ll have to cut my eye like Rocky. Yo Evernoooote. Yo Evernooote.

Hey y'all,

It looks like a lot of people want to see a dark theme across our different platforms. I've moved this thread to a Product Feedback forum so y'all can vote on this to raise awareness. You can vote by selecting one of the arrows at the top of the thread, to the left of the thread title. I've started it out by adding my vote :D.

Vote Dark Theme.jpg

Evernote is probably the only app used by me that has white paper. I like Evernote but hate the background. Light yellow (best for learning), light grayish paper or dark theme is what I prefer. Too much of one color and it is hard to find  quickly enough what I need.

Good-ish news everybody, 

I just found a really quick and easy workaround, and no it's not a welding visor or an astronaut helmet.

The trick is to get a color inversion program. I'm not an affiliate, or a spammer, or anything like that, just trying to help is all. Although there are probably dozens of inverters, the one I'm using right now is a pretty decent little free one I found called 'NegativeScreen' I got from a site called 'arcane sanctum'. I can hotkey different types/amounts of universal screen inversion on the fly. Instant mercy. If you know of, or can find an even better program please let me know. 

Oh sweet mama, what relief! I can finally Alt+Tab into offensively bright screens like Enote without feeling like a mole mashing his face against the bat signal.

To help clarify the request for the Evernote developers, when you say you want Dark Mode, are you asking for the editor to be inverted too so the note is black and text white or just the rest of the UX beyond just the sidebar?

In regards to syntax highlighting, during our hack week when I was there one of the security engineers got this working and I think you could even choose the language so C was highlighted differently than Java. The reason code block and a lot of these features aren't turned on is because not all the clients support the same editor yet.  Once this is done then these feature can easily be turned on.  I don't work there anymore so I have no idea where they are on that but that's the reason.  If not adding syntax highlighting and other editor features would have to be added to the 5 different clients separatey which is very costly and time consuming.  

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, SoftwareMarcus said:

In regards to syntax highlighting, during our hack week when I was there one of the security engineers got this working and I think you could even choose the language so C was highlighted differently than Java.

Hey, Marcus, good to hear from you.  Hope all is going well in your new job.

So, if I understand correctly, syntax highlighting is ready for EN Mac, right?

4 hours ago, SoftwareMarcus said:

If not adding syntax highlighting and other editor features would have to be added to the 5 different clients separatey which is very costly and time consuming.

I'm not sure I understand that statement.  But if you mean you can't release syntax highlighting in one client (EN app) until ALL clients are ready, then let me suggest this:  Please find a way to release it in each client as it is ready for that client.  While I'm a big proponent of client parity, I really don't want to wait for the Android client to be ready (it may never be ready, it may NOT work on Android).  

I'm perfectly OK with the other clients NOT having it while EN Mac does.  I know this is oversimplifying, but it seems like something as simple as an application property could be used.  

IF app.syntaxHighlightingAvailable = true, then displayHighlight;

This approach would require only a very simple change to all clients.  Of course, I'm wildly guessing.  I'm just trying to encourage the Evernote Devs to be creative in providing a phased rollout of new features.

On May 28, 2016 at 0:07 PM, SoftwareMarcus said:

To help clarify the request for the Evernote developers, when you say you want Dark Mode, are you asking for the editor to be inverted too so the note is black and text white or just the rest of the UX beyond just the sidebar?

In regards to syntax highlighting, during our hack week when I was there one of the security engineers got this working and I think you could even choose the language so C was highlighted differently than Java. The reason code block and a lot of these features aren't turned on is because not all the clients support the same editor yet.  Once this is done then these feature can easily be turned on.  I don't work there anymore so I have no idea where they are on that but that's the reason.  If not adding syntax highlighting and other editor features would have to be added to the 5 different clients separatey which is very costly and time consuming.  

I would like everything white (or colors, just not inverting the screen) on black. Black toolbars, black notes. 

Omni Group's OmniFocus has a dark mode that's quite easy on the eyes. 

image.png

• BSR featured this topic
On 10/31/2013 at 7:16 AM, TechBarber said:

I mean, paper is white. Can you imagine if the world used black paper with white pen? Ewe

This is a time-tested (and very poor) argument. Paper and ink are viewed via reflected light, which change as the environment lighting changes, as opposed to transmitted light. Transmitted light doesn't respond to changes in the surrounding environment's color temperature. Here lies the difference, and the ocular pain, and subsequent headaches or insomnia. 

A dark theme would be wonderful. Many work in the late/early hours and set all of their apps to work to save their eyes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Registered just to ask for this. Make a dark theme, please. It is as simple as making the black part white, and the white part black. #FFFFFF and #000000 will be very helpful.

Users who've been waiting for years and still have not gotten this trivially easy to implement feature,

You can at least get a night mode on your PC very easily. If you're using Chrome download the Stylish extension, then head over to userstyles and search for Evernote. People have created dark themes for countless websites, including Evernote. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/05/2016 at 1:39 AM, amanda_h said:

Hey y'all,

It looks like a lot of people want to see a dark theme across our different platforms. I've moved this thread to a Product Feedback forum so y'all can vote on this to raise awareness. You can vote by selecting one of the arrows at the top of the thread, to the left of the thread title. I've started it out by adding my vote :D.

Vote Dark Theme.jpg

I was subscribed to this discussion. But since the redesign of the forum, I was getting no more mail. I imagine that all subscribers to this thread are in the same case. Finally, this discussion should have infinitely more votes than the 13 I see today...

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, stormgen said:

The funny thing is that, if you google, you would find other Evernote users have requested such feature back to three years ago. Evernote has just refused to provide such option.

Evernote doesn't "refuse",  they just don't deliver yet.

在 2014/1/11 在 AM5點32分, ZZZ說:

I'm giving your post a -1 and this thread a +1.  Suggesting that people need to make "persuasive arguments" for why they want a dark theme when the first post explains it, the reasons many users want it is well known, and many users have complained about the newest theme, is "not persuasive".

Pretty true.

Users urge the same issue from 2013 to 2016, years and years and years.

Wow, I don't think any company can ignore such a super post like this, it's never down in three years' time!

Whether the arguments are persuasive or not, that's not a big deal.

They should have known. It's just they don't care.

• Level 5*

Evernote don't (usually) share what they're working on,  or planning to develop;  so it's anyone's guess whether this is in the pipeline somewhere and/ or likely to arrive soon.  I'm on the WIndows Beta track and haven't seen any hints yet,  but you never know..  anyway +1 from me...

On 7/20/2016 at 7:34 PM, Connie Mountain said:

We have dark theme for the Android evernote which is very amazing, but a dark theme for Window was not yet presented.

Users urge for this from 2013 to 2016, it's really time to think about it and not to ignore the need of a dark theme for every user here.

Where is the dark theme for Android. Tried finding it but could not. BTW good idea.

On 7/20/2016 at 0:46 PM, gazumped said:

Evernote don't (usually) share what they're working on,  or planning to develop;  so it's anyone's guess whether this is in the pipeline somewhere and/ or likely to arrive soon.  I'm on the WIndows Beta track and haven't seen any hints yet,  but you never know..  anyway +1 from me...

This is, to me, is Evernote's greatest weakness. To a point, I understand why they don't reveal their roadmap but as a subscriber, I've unsubscribed and will let my subscription run out due to lack in confidence in their ability to develop a decent Windows app. The current version is still slow, buggy and ugly due to the white/slight grey scheme.

On 7/20/2016 at 10:04 AM, Connie Mountain said:

We have dark theme for the Android evernote which is very amazing, but a dark theme for Window was not yet presented.

Users urge for this from 2013 to 2016, it's really time to think about it and not to ignore the need of a dark theme for every user here.

Connie, there's no dark theme for Evernote on Android. What are you smoking? lol

• Level 5*

@Holmes245 - apologies if you already knew this anyway but IME the 'keep users informed' death spiral works like this:

You're a big firm with a lot of ongoing work - app maintenance,  security.  bug fixes, R&D on new OS's and new features etc etc.  Your broad roadmap is scheduled for at least 12 months in advance with routine stuff.  As individual products mature,  they go through QA and testing and get scheduled in for release.  Some jobs get a quick turnaround - critical bugs and minor code tweaks;  others take longer because a substantial chunk of code needs to be rewritten,  and several bugs / process improvements can be included.  The users who suggested those improvements are all passionately demanding delivery of 'their' special feature and decrying any other updates you issue in the meantime - even though those updates have been scheduled and worked on for 12 months or more to get to the point of release.

So you announce that yes,  you are now working on a Dark Theme.  It will be released in around 3 months' time after testing.

1.  Everyone championing features other than a dark theme screams in protest.  Why choose that insignificant change over all the critical bugs and features that your user base (in its infinite wisdom) knows are far more important to Evernote's success?  A significant number will use the "if you're not working on <insert hobbyhorse here> I'm not longer prepared to pay for your <insert epithet here> service!".  There's a marked uptick in Forum and other posts about Evernote ignoring customer's wishes.

2.  Everyone championing the dark theme feature screams as well.  1)  Why wait 3 months 2) Why has it taken so long 3) Will you be using purple because I hate purple... There's another marked uptick in Forum and other posts about Evernote ignoring customer's wishes.

Then you find a bug or a security error which needs fixing,  and will delay release.  You knew this was possible,  which is why you already built in a 1 month delay in the release date.  Unfortunately this is taking longer to fix...

3.  At release day +1 there's a further increase in requests demands for the feature.  It was promised for today - where is it?  (You're still having problems identifying the exact issue,  so it could take a day, a month or a year to resolve..  nobody knows...)

4.  At release day +14 there's now a flood of demands for the feature and another marked uptick in Forum and other posts about Evernote ignoring customer's wishes.

5.  When the feature is released 3 weeks late,  although it now works perfectly everyone hates it.  It's too dark / too light / too purple and above all too late!

6.  Everyone championing features other than a dark theme joins in with more posts about 'told you so' 'where's my collapsible headers?' 'Evernote fails again...'

So.  Keeping users informed is a perfect example of a commercial Kobayashi Maru

@gazumped  To not post anything though isn't good either. They could at least let users vote on requested features and then post whether or not they are in development. I also use Microsoft's OneNote and Microsoft is doing this with success. My fear is that OneNote will surpass Evernote either in the next year or so or in the next version release. If it does, Evernote will be completely irrelevant to me. OneNote's cloud-technology is improving and Microsoft is transitioning to a system that will allow them to do what Evernote does if they decide they want to go that route. I'm sure Evernote is aware of that but by the time they do something about it, it may be too late. As it is, I've since unsubscribed to wait to see what happens in the next year (May 2017). If I don't see any real improvement, such as a dark theme (or at least something easier on the eyes) then I'm gone as a user as well.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Holmes245 said:

They could at least let users vote on requested features

There are Feedback pages now,  and if you read my post,  they've already been working on features due out in the next few months for months or years.  Users are getting input into what's worked on,  but there's easy code changes that can be implemented as soon as there's a break in the schedule... in a few months time,  and there's full-on feature recodes that will take months or years in themselves to work through.  Users are never going to be satisfied.  Kobayahsi Maru.

8 hours ago, Holmes245 said:

My fear is that OneNote will surpass Evernote either in the next year or so or in the next version release

They might - in which case I'll start moving my stuff over there too.  User needs evolve,  and it must be part of Evernote's strategy to keep up.  They're doing the best they can - by shouting at Evernote and wanting more feedback you're handicapping them from working on the very thing you and they need to concentrate on - making Evernote better!

• Level 5*

Good luck with OneNote surpassing Evernote in the next year or so... My recent experience was that there is no way that OneNote can match Evernote in the realistic future. Having said that, there are certainly ways that EN could be improved. Some ability to customize the interface would be good. I personally do not like the all-white screen because it is so hard to differentiate between different windows on my large monitor. On the other hand, I do not like the "dark" option that Redmond propounds. I am using the gray (or grey) option. It would seem to be relatively simple to add that as a new tab on the options dialog...

23 minutes ago, FactMan said:

Good luck with OneNote surpassing Evernote in the next year or so... My recent experience was that there is no way that OneNote can match Evernote in the realistic future. Having said that, there are certainly ways that EN could be improved. Some ability to customize the interface would be good. I personally do not like the all-white screen because it is so hard to differentiate between different windows on my large monitor. On the other hand, I do not like the "dark" option that Redmond propounds. I am using the gray (or grey) option. It would seem to be relatively simple to add that as a new tab on the options dialog...

It depends on what your experience has been and what you prefer. If you're an Apple user then I suppose Evernote's experience is probably better than that for Windows users. I was a OneNote user from the start. For me, I tend to view Evernote as a clipper and OneNote for actual notes. I can type out notes in OneNote so much faster than I can in Evernote and both react differently. For me, I don't need the inline vertical note order that Evernote has. I just like to have the reminders and the tag feature that Evernote has in OneNote and I'll have what I need. I guess only time will tell.

On 1/4/2016 at 8:18 PM, Matt W. said:

Hello Pandya,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the forums!

Having a dark UI layout would be cool. I will pass this along to the team.

Please pass on to the Windows team that we've been suggesting that for over a year for the desktop version.  We never get a response.  Thanks in advance.!

Please visit;

Maybe all hope is not lost for Evernote after all. < cautiously optimistic >

26 minutes ago, Myrddin R Emrys said:

Please pass on to the Windows team that we've been suggesting that for over a year for the desktop version.  We never get a response.  Thanks in advance.!

Please visit;

Maybe all hope is not lost for Evernote after all. < cautiously optimistic >

For more than two years, almost three !

I now have the a dark theme on the Evernote web site, but it's the desktop client that I use 99% of the time and want a theme for that. I think the desktop client should look like SimpleNote. I love the interface of that program. How hard is it to make a program skinable? I like the new simpler design of Evernote, but would like some choice in colours. Seems like I've had this complaint about software since '94. So yeah, my vote is for themes. I stopped using the program a couple of years back and only came back to it because of syncing problems with SimpleNote (windows).

On 3/31/2016 at 10:03 AM, almorithm said:

Markdown and, for me - Syntax Highlighting.  Proper support for developers using Evernote is kinda long overdue at this point.  I still cling to another "evernote-esque" App called SnippetsLab which I adore as it's perfect for code snippets, but in the end I would prefer to stay with Evernote for the cross-platform functionality since I have multiple machines and mobile devices of various flavors.

My perfect world would have Evernote with:

* Dark Mode (super overdue)

* Markdown, Syntax Highlighting (super overdue)

The initial attempt at inserting a code block into Evernote is a good start but it still stinks.

Dark mode is a must have. Syntax highlighting and markdown would be awesome to have for my code snippets.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2013 at 6:16 AM, TechBarber said:

Whenever there is an option to go "dark", I turn it off. Reader apps, stock apps etc...doesn't matter. 

Black backgrounds make my eyes go wonky  :wacko:

Not trying to start a flame war - just wondering what the perceived advantages of going dark are? 

I mean, paper is white. Can you imagine if the world used black paper with white pen? Ewe

TB .. why are you even in this thread then.?  You've already got the Evernote you like.  Basically, great for you, but, we're not all you then, are we.

1 hour ago, Aseem Bansal said:

@scruggles

The highest voted idea in this forum pending for over 3 years. Do these votes matter?

You'd really hope that this would be important to them.  I've removed my payment information and won't renew with them for this very reason.

It's ridiculous to have the forum and have Evernote not acknowledge their user base at all in this regard.  I can only surmise that other threads get about the same amount of attention.  It gives the impression that they really do not care ... and, in an ongoing, prolonged type of indifference to these requests.  It may be that Evernote does not want as clients, anyone who wants any difference in features or expanded flexibility beyond what they have made available.  If this is the case, maybe they ought to just tell us that they don't want our business if we don't want exactly what they're pumping out.  *shrug .. maybe their silence is saying just that.

To quote The Clash (and recent media adverts).. "..Should I stay or should I Go.."  I think I'll go.   (but, will check back here anyway).  My best to all of you in the same boat.  Maybe, one day .. if they notice it affecting their bank accounts they'll pay better attention to their customers.   ...bye.

On 10/30/2013 at 6:06 PM, Lutts said:

Evernote Wizards. Please, give us a dark theme.

My eyes are bleeding with how bright your default theme is. (both web & desktop)

No suprise, it is mostly white. A great choice for clean design, but ultimately a fail for intensive use.

Please, give us a dark theme.

Best Regards,

Your Paying Customer

If you use a Mac there is a workaround for this in the meantime. You can universally invert the colors on the Mac which I do at night when I am working. Here's a screenshot of what it looks like in Evernote with the colors inverted.

FullSizeRender.jpg

8 hours ago, Myrddin R Emrys said:

You'd really hope that this would be important to them.  I've removed my payment information and won't renew with them for this very reason.

@scruggles Isn't that important to Evernote? I have said this before and will say it again. Evernote's silence hurts Evernote more than anything.

On 10/31/2013 at 7:16 PM, TechBarber said:

Whenever there is an option to go "dark", I turn it off. Reader apps, stock apps etc...doesn't matter. 

Black backgrounds make my eyes go wonky  :wacko:

Not trying to start a flame war - just wondering what the perceived advantages of going dark are? 

1. Why are you here trolling others preferences?

2. Beyond preferences -- as a developer, I stare at the screen for 8 to 12 hours a day. Dark themes are a life (well, "eye") saver, preventing my eyes from drying out and losing my mind. This also allows for better contrast to see the main pointers more easily.

3. Paper is white? My bad, I didn't know that paper had a brightness and made up of lower-resolution pixels than "real-life resolution". You've never been to a movie theater, looked at the white screen before the movie started, and felt nothing -- then the movie plays, darkness for 20 minutes, then bright white light -- what does everyone do? They cover their eyes and squint, even painfully.

If you haven't experienced this, you are not on the computer enough to know ;D which is not necessarily a bad thing ;p

20 minutes ago, xblade724 said:

1. Why are you here trolling others preferences?

2. Beyond preferences -- as a developer, I stare at the screen for 8 to 12 hours a day. Dark themes are a life (well, "eye") saver, preventing my eyes from drying out and losing my mind. This also allows for better contrast to see the main pointers more easily.

3. Paper is white? My bad, I didn't know that paper had a brightness and made up of lower-resolution pixels than "real-life resolution". You've never been to a movie theater, looked at the white screen before the movie started, and felt nothing -- then the movie plays, darkness for 20 minutes, then bright white light -- what does everyone do? They cover their eyes and squint, even painfully.

If you haven't experienced this, you are not on the computer enough to know ;D which is not necessarily a bad thing ;p

You answer a (stupid) intervention from... 2013...

On 10/31/2013 at 0:16 PM, TechBarber said:

I think it's not unlikely to be correlated with profession, and how much time you spend in front of a computer.

I'm a software engineer and I happen to prefer dark themes.

I believe this is not a coincidence that programming IDEs (or software for software development) typically offer dark themes as an option: eg. Visual Studio, IntelliJ Idea and many others I know of.

The same goes for programming-friendly text editors such as Sublime Text, which is dark by default.

Evernote is not a programming tool, but I often use it in my line of work for project-related notes,

As for the perceived advantages, I don't think I can tell you anything beyond from what you may have heard or read already. I feel dark themes put less strain on my eyes in the long run. I also prefer it in aesthetic sense.

For all those of us, who think of this as only a quite small possible improvement:

I too was stunned, after i actually tried this and got more used to it, than i could ever imagine before. It really is SO helpfull for more relaxed working on my PC, my Phone and Laptop.

It was one of the features, that converted me to Win10, and kept me there happily. I even bought a MS Win10 Pro license, after i despised this company since growing up with DOS and Win 3.11, and swore to myself i would never pay a dime to then EVER. Seems its one of the features that corrupted my beliefs. ;) 

M$ today is now at a more subtle approach on their ever ongoing battle for market share and power. The actually listen to you, then they implement this, so you cant imagine how you could ever think of staying at Win7 / Linux Dual Boot. ;)

Just like many ppl say Material Design and "good" Design in general would be not important. In fact, studys show the opposite. Many ppl prefer good looking over function, and those seemigly "little" or superficial things end up bigger then the rest.

Not like i would want the world, but just plan human. 

EDIT: Just to show how addicted such a little feature can make one: Even this very forum is viewed on my PC in inverted colors now, thanks to a chrome extension! So i came from sceptic to believer (and even addict).. ;)

How could you have less eyestrain when you would increase the contrast between notes and the system's UI? 

Take a piece of paper from your desk, and write something on it. Shoot it with your camera, and add it to a note. That's a WHITE piece of paper on a WHITE background and easy AF on the eyes because it's a natural representation of that note you wrote. Change the surrounding app to 'dark', and things would look crazy. 

Not trolling. I just have an opinion too, and don't hang out here. Who's trolling who?

some very good comments perfectly dismantle your criticism against our request.

go read them all and you'll maybe learn something, for example:

- why bright white is not the same as white brightless paper

- taking a picture of a piece of paper maybe is not the primary use a lot of people give to evernote (yes, we write and/or copy/paste plain text, sorry for being classic)

you should let (a lot of) people request something regardless you cannot understand or share the experience. your opinion is calling us silly. your opinion is trying to silence and discredit a lot of voices. you are either a troll or a fanatic.

PS: that's my opinion. it seems that saying so allows everyone to say anything :)

4 minutes ago, AlisterWH said:

you should let (a lot of) people request something whether you can comprehend it or not. your opinion is calling us silly. your opinion is trying to silence and discredit a lot of voices.

I didn't call anyone silly. I called the need for a 'dark theme' silly. It's a Developer trend that extends from Coda/Espresso2/Sublime/Atom — fine, because using a text editor truly *IS* hard on the eyes when sitting for days staring at it. But what is anyone doing in Evernote that's "hard on the eyes"? Evernote needs to be basic. If writers want to sit and write all day in Evernote, then they won't cry to Evernote because it's too hard on the eyes; they can use thousands of other apps and connect with Evernote, or just save stuff in Evernote.

Seeing the call for it made me stop and laugh, because the arguments to "YES - OMG DARK THEME!" are what I experience daily as an app designer. People who call for change are missing the real simplicity.

DON'T MOVE THE DOG DISH. 

1 hour ago, Alan Houser said:

I called the need for a 'dark theme' silly.

Seeing the call for it made me stop and laugh, because the arguments to "YES - OMG DARK THEME!" are what I experience daily as an app designer. People who call for change are missing the real simplicity.

I think you're making a lot of assumptions about how others use Evernote based on what your own usage is and that's a fallacy that prevents you from seeing that this is an option that will be welcomed by a lot of people.  I want to use Evernote directly without using the "thousands" (seriously?  thousands?) of other apps that connect.  I just want to use Evernote.  I'm also a developer and I understand the benefit of options in the apps I choose to use and to develop.  Perhaps you should stop being obstructionist and move along if you don't want a dark theme.  No one is trying to force it on you so please don't try and force your Evernote usage restrictions on us.

49 minutes ago, Alan Houser said:

See Zapier.com + ifttt.com 

Ok, I'm pretty much convinced that you're just trolling but I'll bite once more.  It's a long stretch to say that there are thousands of other apps that connect with Evernote when what you're really saying is there are tools to connect thousands of other apps to Evernote.  Having used both of those options I still find working directly in Evernote far more convenient for most of my needs.  It seems there are a lot of other people that feel this option would be a great addition as well.  Besides, I would still debate the "thousands" assertion if only on the basis of enumerating the number of usable apps that make sense to connect to Evernote.  Literally speaking, for it to be "thousands" there must be at least two thousand.  I don't think that list exists.  Perhaps you're argument is that every application ever created can connect to Evernote through external applications and therefore no one should need to use Evernote's UI for viewing, editing, or creating notes if they don't like how it looks.  Doesn't that seem silly to you?  If not, see my first statement.

However, this is really beside the point and IMHO you're using a straw man fallacy to ignore the crux of this thread and our request to the devs.  You don't want to use an Evernote dark theme?  Awesome for you.  Obviously a lot of other people do and your argument against that amounts to stating "that's not how I want Evernote to look so the option shouldn't exist and if you want a dark theme, don't use Evernote, use something else and sync that to Evernote".  I feel that's being obtuse simply for the sake of it and that is something trolls frequently choose to do.

If you think you have a valid argument against other people being able to use a dark color theme in Evernote I'd love to read it.  Otherwise I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. 

On 11/9/2013 at 0:54 AM, GrumpyMonkey said:

On iOS you can set the home button to invert colors in Settings > General > Accessibility > Accessibility Shortcut > Invert Colors. It's nice because you don't have to mess with the settings for every app and the screen is dark. Obviously, reducing the brightness never hurts.

Ideally, we'd have something like the PDF readers that allows for sepia, normal, black background (the dark mode), and an adjustment to the brightness. It's great to go from a bright screen in another app to the preset one in the reading app, because I generally like to read things at a lower brightness level.

On Mac OS X you can also do this by toggling System Preferences -> Accessibility -> Display -> Invert Colors on or off.

Or, you can set a keyboard shortcut for it by toggling System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts -> Accessibility -> Invert Colors on or off. The default keyboard shortcut for this feature is "⌃⌥⌘-8" (Control-Option-Command-8).

6 hours ago, Alan Houser said:

I didn't call anyone silly. I called the need for a 'dark theme' silly. It's a Developer trend that extends from Coda/Espresso2/Sublime/Atom — fine, because using a text editor truly *IS* hard on the eyes when sitting for days staring at it. But what is anyone doing in Evernote that's "hard on the eyes"? Evernote needs to be basic. If writers want to sit and write all day in Evernote, then they won't cry to Evernote because it's too hard on the eyes; they can use thousands of other apps and connect with Evernote, or just save stuff in Evernote.

DON'T MOVE THE DOG DISH. 

YES - OMG DARK THEME!" are what I experience daily as an app designer

Perhaps you should listen to the customer and give them what THEY want not what you know much better for them!

I suppose this also makes you part of the trend to put light text on white background.  I loved it when Outlook FINALLY gave us a dark theme!

+1. Just purchased Alternote just to have a Dark theme, and I'd rather spend it on the paid Evernote subscription. Especially if it was required for the dark theme, which would be a business choice I am totally comfortable with.

I have been a daily evernote user for years. Based on the value this product offers, I would pay much more per year for this service. The dark theme is the one feature missing in Evernote which has influenced me to migrate all of my notes to onenote. After test driving onenote I have moved back to Evernote due to Microsoft limiting cloud storage to 5gbs however this is going to cause a lot of the client base to look elsewhere for alternatives.  I did not go through will canceling my service but I came close. I would really like to see the devs take this issue seriously and include an optional dark theme. In my eyes this is the most prominent area of opportunity. I

On 9/4/2016 at 2:39 AM, Zachary G said:

I have been a daily evernote user for years. Based on the value this product offers, I would pay much more per year for this service. The dark theme is the one feature missing in Evernote which has influenced me to migrate all of my notes to onenote. After test driving onenote I have moved back to Evernote due to Microsoft limiting cloud storage to 5gbs however this is going to cause a lot of the client base to look elsewhere for alternatives.  I did not go through will canceling my service but I came close. I would really like to see the devs take this issue seriously and include an optional dark theme. In my eyes this is the most prominent area of opportunity. I

If you are on iOS at all you might want to check out Matcha 3. It's a great editor with dark themes that is built around Evernote. Best 10 bucks I've spent in a long time. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2016 at 10:19 AM, almorithm said:

I have NO legs to stand on using the non-Premium version.  I'm not paying currently for Evernote.  I'm using a wonderful tool for free.  I get it.

For what it is worth, we are on a paid Evernote Business plan -- Not many users (6 or so)...

On 3/18/2016 at 10:19 AM, almorithm said:

alternatives to Evernote purely to see what has a dark mode [and] code snippets with syntax highlighting

... but have pretty much decided to go elsewhere once our renewal comes up because of the lack of these two features. The lack of these two features really make Evernote stick out like a sore thumb compared to other tools we use.

• 2 weeks later...

Just installed evernote yesterday.

Functionalities are good but the absence of dark theme is a big problem for me.

Seeing how the issue has been ignored for years, I'll just keep on using simplenote, I guess.

Archived