Ever Better: Refreshing the Evernote Brand Read more... ×

Idea

Evernote as of late struggles to simply turn out a stable version of the Windows client.  Every time they update new features, like tables, some other basic function of text editing breaks.  It seems to me that the unicorn has died and we are dealing with the ashes.   Innovation has left the building.  Evernote is struggling to get basic features like tables and text editing working.  While other products support Markdown, dark themes, code block formatting, etc.  Evernote struggles to deliver the basics.  New products like Paper, Keep, Notion and Index are innovating and catching up.  The moment there is feature parity with another solution I'm moving.  

Even Microsoft has a dark theme for Office now.

• Like 7

+++++++++

There isn't a number for how many upvotes I would give this request on ANY piece of software. The option to change themes shouldn't even be in question.

Why isn't it already implemented?

There must be some reason that you developers have chosen to ignore 7 years of your customers telling you what they want.

I read page 1, and then page 19. Page 1 was from 2013 and somebody said the actual request was 3 year before that.

That is 7 years and there is still no option?

What is the point of a dark sidebar when the separate note window is still blindingly white?

Is it ever going to be implemented?

Every single one of my tools is in dark mode. I was going to add Evernote to my list but until there is a proper dark theme I'll have to go elsewhere.

P.S. My eyes are bleeding right now

• Like 6

Just to add a bit to the Stylish solution for web version.

Couple of months ago I found these extensions restyling all web to dark.

They do it quite well, are easy to disable per site, and I completely switched to them from separate Stylish themes:

Chrome: Dark Reader https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dark-reader/eimadpbcbfnmbkopoojfekhnkhdbieeh
Firefox: Dark Background and Light Text https://addons.mozilla.org/ru/firefox/addon/dark-background-light-text/
   Firefox - Custom colors to make it more like IDEA, my favorite IDE:
    * foreground #A9B7C6
    * background #2B2B2B
    * link color: #D9C077
    * visited link #D9C077
    * selection color #214283

Although, I think that's not a solution for Evernote, as the web version is way slower and harder to use than desktop one.

• Like 4

Evidently no one at Evernote has ever attempted to work on a document while flying transcontinental when the plane is darkened. Even lowering the brightness of my iPad doesn't help. And worse your seat mate complains about the brightness distracting them. I have given up and like others. I may go back to premium if Evernote gives us an option

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

+1 

Give us option to change it. Advantage or no, it's a personal preference that many users would enjoy. 

• Like 3

Hi! This is the 2nd most requested feature on the forum, why has it not been done yet? it has been more than 3 years since the last post so I'm bringing this back up.

• Like 2

This has been a request to Evernote for about 3 years. We are not asking to have a black background for everybody only for those who choose to use it. If any thing they should have the option of a dark note background with the white header

• Like 3

It's been very difficult to gauge what the people at Evernote are even thinking. I think there has been a total of Zero response from them about this issue in all this time.  From time to time there is the response from some casual forum member who has jumped to a conclusion that we only want it to be completely dark ... even have to wonder at them, do they not use other modern software that has "Themes" and gives them choices.

With the amount of requests over the long period of time ~and no response at all.. I can only assume their thoughts are that we are to; "Use it the way we give it to you -- or don't use it -- We don't care"  I don't know what other conclusion it's possible to reach.  I've kept in the forum on the ever-decreasing hope that they'll actually decide to be responsive to customer requests. But, their software is gone from my systems and so is my financial support.

If they decide that their customers are of any value, I'll be happy to reconsider.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2017 at 5:15 PM, Myrddin R Emrys said:

It's been very difficult to gauge what the people at Evernote are even thinking. I think there has been a total of Zero response from them about this issue in all this time.  From time to time there is the response from some casual forum member who has jumped to a conclusion that we only want it to be completely dark ... even have to wonder at them, do they not use other modern software that has "Themes" and gives them choices.

With the amount of requests over the long period of time ~and no response at all.. I can only assume their thoughts are that we are to; "Use it the way we give it to you -- or don't use it -- We don't care"  I don't know what other conclusion it's possible to reach.  I've kept in the forum on the ever-decreasing hope that they'll actually decide to be responsive to customer requests. But, their software is gone from my systems and so is my financial support.

If they decide that their customers are of any value, I'll be happy to reconsider.

Been a member since 2009. They don’t care. 

• Like 2

And AustinG has replied to my Evernote support ticket ("Chris" is Evernote CEO O'Neill, who responded to me on Twitter); we now have official confirmation, for the first time in four years, from both the CEO and from product support, that this is being worked on:

Hi,

Thanks for contacting Evernote Support and for submitting this request. As Chris mentioned, this is something we're working on, but I do not currently have an estimate on when it will be implemented. We'll continue to announce updates to the apps as we release them.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or issues with Evernote.

Thanks,

Austin G.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am currently checking on Evernote as an alternative to Onenote and it has to be said, that the dark theme is probably the only thing missing. The problem for me is the inability to actually read articles in evernote, it just hurts my eyes. And seeing that this topic has been going on for 3 years, I am extremely disappointed with developers. 

• Like 3

+1 Dark mode please. I use dark mode for everything (Gmail, YouTube, reddit)... it's so painful when I have to look for or save something in Evernote.

• Like 4

Got a survey last week about improving Evernote. It seemed more about pricing structure rather than any other functionality improvements. Of course I did respond to other improvements with "DARK THEME" - "DARK THEME" - "DARK THEME". I have given up hope that they will respond to any requests for a dark theme. Almost every other application seems to be heading that way (ie Microsoft Office) even Apple seems to at least looking that way with the new iPhone update but it too still needs improvement. While Evernote remains unresponsive.

• Like 1

And here's the reply from the official Twitter account @EvernoteHelps:

I see our CEO has reached out to assure you that we hear you and we're working on this! /AT

ScreenClip.png

• Like 1

Ah, 1 like and 1 plus.

Great to see some feature request validatation.

Maybe there is hope.

• Like 3

Let's get a response from The Team.

I'll send snapshot of everyone's replies by email.

If anyone else knows how to get Evernote's attention; do it & point back here.

If you haven't yet, simply post a +1 to show your support.

• Like 3

Please please please please give us a dark theme for notes themselves and not just the dang sidebar. I too am a developer and use Evernote paid day-in and day-out

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bkriesel said:

How do I upvote this?  So want this feature.

Voting buttons are in the top left corner of the discussion   599af35869c82_ScreenShot2017-08-21at07_50_07.png.1994dbccc4dff986370bb3d5c479f242.png

• Like 1

I really like the idea as well. Another twist to the idea I think that would be neat is if it could automatically switch between the two themes depending on time of day or on how bright the environment is.

Only reason I found this forum, Googling to see if there's a dark theme option. So many apps have this, Jota, Wikipedia, checklist apps, even Dolphin Browser. And yet not Evernote!  

• Like 1

I always wonder what the point of Feature Request forums are when the developers don't take notice of people's requests. 

I mean seriously, if a suggestion with 254 Up votes gets rejected/ignored about a simple ability to change the background colour to black and the font colour to white, you may as well close the whole forum down. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Blork said:

I've been using Boostnote for a couple of weeks now, synced across two machines via Dropbox, with no problems.

I don’t know about the others, but my intent is to add Dark mode to Evernote and the editor.  I don’t want to switch to any other filing tool like Dropbox

• Like 1

1 hour ago, camerajunkie said:

Please please please please give us a dark theme for notes themselves and not just the dang sidebar. I too am a developer and use Evernote paid day-in and day-out

I'm with you. Except now that my subscription ran out, I'm not paying any more until they finally acknowledge that we've been asking about this for literally YEARS now. Who would have thought any company could so totally ignore it's user-base.?

I think if anything it showcases a lack of ability. I'm sorry but It couldn't be that great a task, a simple alteration of a few colours, to be ignored for 4 years. 

Perhaps they've taken on new staff without the requirements of something like a uni degree.

The only other reason I can think of is budgetary concerns. But then, a happier user base brings greater profits so it's hard to see that being the main obstacle. 

Admit it developers, new or not, you don't have the skills and you don't know what you're doing. 

• Like 1

Well even just a dark theme for notes I'd be happy enough with myself and it's better than nothing at all. The lesser the task the more likely they'll be willing to take it on.board. And conversely, the greater the task, the less willing. 

• Like 1

I don't think anyone's expecting a in-program theme to do anything to "clipped web pages" so, that should be a non-issue.

What I believe we're all desiring is the interface and work areas that we create in, texts, lists, reports, etc to be themed, not changing the colors of imported or other graphics.  Nobody's asking it to be a one-in-all converter of html, css, svg or whatever.. that would truly be on the insane side.

Just a dark theme, you know, like you can pick for overall use in Win10..., and a growing number of other apps daily.

3 minutes ago, Myrddin R Emrys said:

I don't think anyone's expecting a in-program theme to do anything to "clipped web pages" so, that should be a non-issue.

What I believe we're all desiring is the interface and work areas that we create in, texts, lists, reports, etc to be themed, not changing the colors of imported or other graphics.  Nobody's asking it to be a one-in-all converter of html, css, svg or whatever.. that would truly be on the insane side.

Just a dark theme, you know, like you can pick for overall use in Win10..., and a growing number of other apps daily.

Exactly.  This is not difficult from a programming point of view.  

In fact, even non-programmers such as myself can accomplish much of this; there's zero excuse for Evernote not getting this done:

• Like 1

Has anyone ever tried personally messaging employees to see if they will respond? I've noticed there has been responses elsewhere in the past few months in security, and it seems ridiculous that a company can get away with such terrible community responses or lack of. I sent a PM to one of the employees asking this, and maybe some of you should too.

• Like 1

I need a night mode to use in a very dark aircraft environment where I take notes during training and checks. The white mode is still too bright with my devices turned fully dim. 

• Like 1

On 2017-10-29 at 7:15 PM, RobertJSawyer said:

Well, my dear guru, if you go to Help and Learning | Submit a Request | What can we help you with? you'll see one option is: Technical Issues / Other / User Interface Issue.  And if a user-interface issue is severe enough that people are ceasing to be paying customers because of it or switching to a competing product (usually Microsoft's free OneNote), then support is warranted.

Another reason is so that no one at Evernote can say any longer, hey, we never saw the request -- four years on, and we never saw it.  It's LOGGED now; it has to be responded to.  And no one can say that we've been insufficiently patient before raising a support ticket: we've waited four years pursuing this issue through this channel, to absolutely no avail.

Well, my dear Noteworthy, I don't see Dark Theme as a technical issue, I see it as a feature request

For whatever reason, the development team has not implemented this feature; I can't see the support team changing that

I don't believe this request is being ignored; just that there are other priorities.  I can understand that and accept the reality

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RobertJSawyer said:

our only feedback mechanism is to support, not directly to the development team

Evernote set up these forums to obtain user feedback.  Obviously they take note of the posts; we can see the record in this discussion thread

A reply to my tweet from Evernote CEO Chris O'Neill (screen capture attached): 

Working on it :-)

I'd tweeted:  "Come on, @croneill: 4 years today of your users begging for dark theme, and not a peep from you or your staff ever," with a link to this thread.

Now, let's see how long it takes him to deliver.

evernote-dark-theme.jpg

And until then, this is a partial solution, letting you set whatever background color you wish for notes:

13 hours ago, RobertJSawyer said:

A reply to my tweet from Evernote CEO Chris O'Neill (screen capture attached): 

Working on it :-)

I'd tweeted:  "Come on, @croneill: 4 years today of your users begging for dark theme, and not a peep from you or your staff ever," with a link to this thread.

Now, let's see how long it takes him to deliver.

evernote-dark-theme.jpg

Great job and initiative.  Seems like progress.  Let’s hope it wasn’t just lip service.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2017 at 11:26 PM, Threefold57 said:

This has been a request to Evernote for about 3 years. We are not asking to have a black background for everybody only for those who choose to use it. If any thing they should have the option of a dark note background with the white header

And if I may add, I wouldn't even mind if the black theme is ugly. I know it's hard to produce a great-looking black theme. But it's so relaxing for the eyes that even when it's poorly done I find it a lot better than the bright theme.

• Like 1

Maybe I am ignorant but I really don't understand why it takes so much time to implement such a simple feature as a dark theme to Evernote application. There are workarounds to change website background colour but I don't use website, only Windows and Android apps. :-(

• Like 1

Yup. I'm yet ANOTHER user looking for a solution. I tried Alternote, but Alternote doesn't allow you to open two note windows at once (wtf?), but at least it has a couple different color backgrounds. I can't speak to its overall integration with evernote. 

But seriously, the UI "improvements" haven't really been an improvement. Bringing us back to the old days of really stark black and white monitors. Sheesh.

• Like 1

To Evernote Developers:

Please please please add a dark theme or night mode with black background with white text.  It will save my eyes...it's so harsh looking at the bright white screen.  Plus it will save on battery life.  So many other apps have been able to implement this option (eg. Pocket, NYT etc) and it looks so good.

PLEASE.  ADD.  DARK THEME OPTION.  SOON.

I love Evernote and have been a premium paying customer for years but I may have to leave if you can't offer a dark theme option soon.  Already looking into other options...

• Like 1

I've given up about 4 months ago and switched to an IDE project in Git repository.

Registered at CloudHQ and set up a sync to Google Drive https://www.cloudhq.net/synchronize/evernote/google_docs
Downloaded the files and made an Intellij IDEA project out of them.

Created a free private Git repository at https://bitbucket.org 

• git clone
  • copy project there
  • git commit 
  • git push

Added plugins: 

And now I have:

• darcula theme
  • handy hotkeys
  • beautiful markdown highlighting
  • full linux support :D
  • notes history
  • backup in multiple places
  • ability to open notes in text editor, e.g. Sublime
  • all the IDE power at my fingertips:
    • search files or in files, or in directory, or in search results - Regex, match case, file mask, group results...
    • notes structured into directories
    • code highlighting
    • running snippets or even ansible scripts to setup whole system
    • recording macroses,
    • using variety of plugins...

Thank you so much Evernote, I don't know how I lived without all this

Selection_015.png

• Like 2

I'm always on the computer, and having to deal with a pure white background irritates my eyes. Sometimes if I really want to write a lot of stuff, I'll just open some other writing software with a dark theme and copy/paste the text to Evernote just so I don't have to deal with that overwhelming brightness xD

Love this app, but I find a dark theme will make it perfect for me. Thanks for taking your time to read :)

• Like 1

On 10/31/2013 at 12:06 PM, Lutts said:

Evernote Wizards. Please, give us a dark theme.

My eyes are bleeding with how bright your default theme is. (both web & desktop)

No suprise, it is mostly white. A great choice for clean design, but ultimately a fail for intensive use.

Please, give us a dark theme.

Best Regards,

Your Paying Customer

Please Evernote Master!

We need to have a dark theme!!!

• Like 1

Wow the first post was in 2013! I sure hope that this request is being taken seriously. 

I would like to see more "coloring" options overall like Google Keep does. There are some notes I would like to stick out when I do a search. The coloring of the tags and notebooks definitely helped but it was not a solution for me.

Dark theme along with ability to color code notes would be really nice for me.

+1 for a dark theme, I spend several hours (practically all my waking hours) attached to a device because of my degree and use this for mostly storing personal projects, and this is the only app/program I use that doesn't have some kind of dark theme, it'd be appreciated so it doesn't kill my eyes like it already is. 

My 2nd posting. My first post was a few years ago (?!). I'm a premium subscriber, but Evernote's apathy to it's paying customers is appalling. Like everyone else, year over year, I see this thread continue on. 

Evernote, if you're listening or reading this forum, note that like many other paying customers, I'm looking elsewhere. I don't think I'll renew my yearly membership with you any longer.

Last time I checked from an iPhone I was borrowing, Evernote IOS had a dark theme.  Now that I just bought my own iPad mini, among several reasons in part to have Evernote with dark theme, I am finding it is not there anymore.  Another forum on this site suggests it had a dark theme until relatively recently, what's up with that? 

If what I am saying is actually correct, it almost seems deliberate, across the different platforms.

Anyone care to shed some light on this issue? 

Crazy how many users they've lost to other apps because of this... people have been requesting night mode since day one

2018 and still no dark theme?

In 5 years some programmers could have probably created a light version of evernote ( core features) with the theme already.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Another Premium User here casting my vote for "Dark Mode". This IS a feature worth considering alternative "note capture" apps for and judging by the years of discussion here, I believe many others would agree.

I've been following this for the past five years. I used to use Evernote, but when I saw zero development on this front, I left them. So, now it's been several years since last I checked an still unable to have a dark background?

I would be a paying customer if they allow a dark background with some nice text editing features like syntax highlighting and multi-line select. Sublime Text has set the standard for text editing and viewing. Evernote has set the standard for search. But, I can just be more organized with my notes and use a far superior note engine like sublime. I think Evernote could tap into a very large market of avid note-takers if they would only improve their interface so it's easier on the eyes and easier to edit and view text. I'll be waiting on the sidelines until then, unless another company steps up.

The first post under this topic is from 2013, so it is a pretty safe bet they have no intention of listening to their customers on this issue, aside from the fact they appear to have removed it from iOS which apparently had it before.

Currently I am looking into buying either an e-ink Android device or getting an e-ink monitor for my Windows computer, all just to be confortable using Evernote for long periods of time.

• Sad 1

Anyone knows a better alternative app that has a dark theme ? I’m uninstalling evernote

• Thanks 1

A dark mode is sorely needed for Evernote. For any app that you have to spend a lot of time in, you should be offered a dark mode. Personally I'm affected by bright light, causes me ocular migraines.

In order to use Evernote in dark mode, I'm restricted to using the web version of Evernote only, using the "dark reader" browser extension (chrome and firefox can get it). Looks great and is very functional BTW, I just wish I could get something like it for the desktop app as web's obviously useless when there's no Internet.

2018-06-21 13_23_15-when outlook is blurry _ Evernote Web.png

• Like 1

10 hours ago, baker_tony said:

A dark mode is sorely needed for Evernote. For any app that you have to spend a lot of time in, you should be offered a dark mode. Personally I'm affected by bright light, causes me ocular migraines.

In order to use Evernote in dark mode, I'm restricted to using the web version of Evernote only, using the "dark reader" browser extension (chrome and firefox can get it). Looks great and is very functional BTW, I just wish I could get something like it for the desktop app as web's obviously useless when there's no Internet.

2018-06-21 13_23_15-when outlook is blurry _ Evernote Web.png

I do like how this looks definitely.

Come on Evernote! Give us the dark theme!!!!! :) 

Pleas Evernote, make this happen. Evernote is the biggest drain of my AMOLED screen, having a black background with white text would be perfect. 

5 years after...

Please... this bright theme is a nightmare... It hurt our eyes. But this is also a huge battery killers and a warm generator on our screen...  This is really unconfortable by the hot seasons... Writing on evernote in a closed 35 degres room is like being in front of an oven.

• Thanks 1

Huge step backword with all white IOS version of Evernote.  Dark theme lost!  All white may look good in design meeting but on a day to day basic it is a huge eye strain. 

Even Microsoft has a dark theme for Office now.  Get with it Evernote.

• Thanks 2

Whenever there is an option to go "dark", I turn it off. Reader apps, stock apps etc...doesn't matter. 

Black backgrounds make my eyes go wonky  :wacko:

Not trying to start a flame war - just wondering what the perceived advantages of going dark are? 

I mean, paper is white. Can you imagine if the world used black paper with white pen? Ewe

• Like 4

Every day I see more white on web pages than i do on Evernote, so I guess my eyes have not been adversely affected. Perhaps a third party integration for the future might be some metal gray eyes of Tleilax design to counteract the stone-burner like effects of the app!

Just playing around. Seriously, though, high contrast versions of the app and choices for customization are always nice. I wonder what people with vision problems must think of the gray on gray text, lack of contrast, etc. I like the design well enough, but i am not a fan of the one size fits all approach, because inevitably users will be left at a disadvantage without customization options.

• Like 5

I agree.

Why has the app been de-colorized  :o and all white and very light greys.  I think it's UGLY, just like Office 2013 which perhaps their trying to imitate. Fortunately the Android App hasn't been messed up like this (yet).

• Like 6

Thank you for writing this! I was just googling the very same thing to see if there was some kind of add-on that I just don't know about. Evernote needs a dark theme ASAP. Especially on Windows, it bothers me slightly less on my Mac Book Retina and on mobile devices.....but on my office windows PC it is almost unbearable, to the point that I fear I might actually be using it less that I do at home (which is insane for an organizational app!).

@TechBarber a darker theme means less light hitting you in the eye. I find it useful for serious reading and writing. This is especially the case when reading or writing in a darker environment, which essentially turns your white screen into a huge flashlight.

• Like 7

+1 +1

I agree, i find myself using the older versions not out of functionality but because of contrast

White is the most efficient colour to work with but also the least interesting

And hi, im going to check out the rest of the forum :)

• Like 2

+1 - especially at night the white background is blinding. I set as many of my apps as I can to a dark background. It's one of the first customizations i set on a new app. Providing a light and dark background should be a given for every (text oriented) phone app.

• Like 4

+1 - especially at night the white background is blinding. I set as many of my apps as I can to a dark background. It's one of the first customizations i set on a new app. Providing a light and dark background should be a given for every (text oriented) phone app.

On iOS you can set the home button to invert colors in Settings > General > Accessibility > Accessibility Shortcut > Invert Colors. It's nice because you don't have to mess with the settings for every app and the screen is dark. Obviously, reducing the brightness never hurts.

Ideally, we'd have something like the PDF readers that allows for sepia, normal, black background (the dark mode), and an adjustment to the brightness. It's great to go from a bright screen in another app to the preset one in the reading app, because I generally like to read things at a lower brightness level.

• Like 4

I wonder if they have any OLED monitors at evernote? My monitors are WHITE! It hurts my eyes looking at 5 shades of black and white. 

• Like 2

Let's get a response from The Team.

I'll send snapshot of everyone's replies by email.

If anyone else knows how to get Evernote's attention; do it & point back here.

If you haven't yet, simply post a +1 to show your support.

Please do not just post +1s. This is a discussion board and we much prefer to have discussions. If you want to contact Evernote directly and be sure that your opinion is recorded somewhere, then contact support (see the link in my signature). Developers read these forums, so I am sure that you have their attention, though it is company policy not to speak about work in progress or future plans, and I think you are unlikely to get a direct answer.

Personally, I think if you want to show your support you should explain why this is a feature that Evernote needs. To play Devil's Advocate here, web browsers don't typically have the feature and the whites on their screens are just as white as the ones on Evernote's, but people (in my experience, at least) don't complain about it.

Again, I would like to see the option as well (see my posts above http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/45681-please-dark-theme/?p=240139), but I have to admit that if I was a developer, I don't think this would be the feature at the top of my list of things to do. If you want to move it up the list, I'd recommend persuasive arguments over +1s.

@GrumpyMonkey

Thank you. I hope you aren't too grumpy all the time; your advice is sound.

But perhaps an Evernote user goes is search for this feature to find this thread.

They may or may not have anything new to add, but still want to show support.

Maybe a poll would be more appropriate.

With 9K+ posts, I respect your protectiveness of this discussion board.

To add to the "why is this a necessity" list - While its true that people just have to deal with it on the web but the time spent on a single web page is minimal compared to the time people spend in applications.

While i understand Evernote might not want to compromise their design aesthetic - its a limiting belief that eventually takes away from its functionality. White on white just isn't practical for anyone planning to use it for extended periods of time. 

I know this all comes across as whiny, and by no means am i displeased with the rest of the functionality but i think the white on white is a consequence of trying to adapt to windows design philosophy rather than making a platform agnostic version of your own  

• Like 2

But perhaps an Evernote user goes is search for this feature to find this thread.

They may or may not have anything new to add, but still want to show support.

That's what "Like" is for.

Maybe a poll would be more appropriate.

Maybe, but Evernote doesn't do polls for user features.

Black text on a white background hurts my eyes.  I am not unique in having this problem.

I am in favor of Evernote enabling a way to provide users like me with a "Dark" theme,

just as many popular programs do - either explicitly, by offering it as one of several color 

Hue Saturation/Luminance and pattern choices, or by optional plugin capability, 

using Evernote-developed or user provided "Skins."

Since we are all not the same, I stress this should be presented as an option,

allowing the user to pick and choose what theme/skin they prefer, or default

to the standard black on white scheme.

For those unsure what "Themes" and "Skins" are, try these searches on Google:

wiki theme (computing)    and

wiki skin (computing)

• Like 1

@TechBarber - Paper doesn't have a primary light source behind it like a screen does. Stare at the sun for an hour to understand why this would affect your eyes. Also I found your public Evernote notebook and can safely say I consume more text then you.

@GrumpyMonkey - I agree, contrast is important for readability. Grey on grey sounds terrible. Maybe we can recommend text no less than #DDD and color-background no greater than #222. Hues can vary, but lets keep values in range.

You actually can't safely say that. The public notebook is something I put together to show new users how notes work so I didn't add anything that was particularly text-heavy. 

In my personal notebook I have journal articles for school, books (epub/pdf) and typed notes consisting of several pages. 

I get that white screens are backlit, but I still prefer them. When I read text on a black background and then look away my eyes go berzerk.  :wacko:

• Like 1

I think people on both sides of this issue are very passionate about their stance. I spend about 12 hours a day working in xcode and android studio. I use the dark theme in both, I find that its more relaxing on my eyes. I also find being outdoors in the bright sunlight uncomfortable without sunglasses.

Having to switch between xcode (dark) and browser (light) can be a very jarring experience. Give people the choice to use a dark theme, that is all we ask.

• Like 3

Why is this not a thing? 

I thought EN marketplace would have all kinds of this stuff, before I signed up for premium. :/ 

+50 

• Like 2

Personally, I don't like dark themes, never use them when there are options, and at times stop using websites altogether when everything is dark, dark, dark (am speaking to you, Flickr).

HOWEVER, it would be fine with me if Evernote would provide a dark theme for those who prefer it, as long as they also keep the current theme, which I like.

• Like 3

Agreed with Inclement. It is about options. Not necessarily dark or light. Just personalization.

• Like 2

+1 for dark theme (web, PC, iOS, Android...)

Not only white, not only black.

Simply make an option. Everybodys gets happy.

• Like 3

Please do not just post +1s. . If you want to move it up the list, I'd recommend persuasive arguments over +1s.

I'm giving your post a -1 and this thread a +1.  Suggesting that people need to make "persuasive arguments" for why they want a dark theme when the first post explains it, the reasons many users want it is well known, and many users have complained about the newest theme, is "not persuasive".

• Like 3

Please do not just post +1s. . If you want to move it up the list, I'd recommend persuasive arguments over +1s.

I'm giving your post a -1 and this thread a +1.  Suggesting that people need to make "persuasive arguments" for why they want a dark theme when the first post explains it, the reasons many users want it is well known, and many users have complained about the newest theme, is "not persuasive".

I'll take that -1 and post again to see if I can't earn myself another -1 from you. Im not against the feature suggestion, by the way.

If the reasons that many (how much is many?) users want it are well known (the developers read these forums), and many users have complained about the newest theme (which one?), then the developers have already considered them and decided not to do it, so what is the point of a few +1s? Out of 80 million users, a handful of +1s isn't likely to sway the minds of developers. In my opinion, logic, reasoning, and persuasion is more powerful than the two characters "+1". It's your choice to post reasons or not. I won't stop anyone from posting +1s. I'm simply saying reasons carry more weight.

In the meantime, here are a couple of workarounds. On the Mac, go to the Apple logo  -> System Preferences  -> Accessibility  -> "invert colors." Check the box to show the icon in your menu, if you want, but I'm afraid Apple doesn't make the icon very functional. Still, it is an option that is available.

On the iPad, Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Accessibility Shortcut -> Invert Colors (a triple click of the home button will invert the colors). This is quite handy.

ANd bare '+1's just don't add anything to the conversation. GM is pretty much right on. Adding constructive commentary is best (with or without a '+'). A simple "like" fine, and can at least be tabulated by computer. A bare "+1" adds little to the conversation, and not practicably counted by automated means, plus it gives the impression that there's new content to the topic when there's really not (so folks who read new content don't get much out of it).

@GrumpyMonkey

Why say something like this? I'm sure many people are aware of the point your making, but you don't need to rub it in - we're vocalising something because we feel this is important and we DO know that dev's look at these forums. You making the assumption that our +1's don't carry any weight yet this thread could be the evidence that dev's need to even consider this a possibility. They could run a poll asking users if they want more customisation in Evernote. The reasons are self evident, we don't need more of them, we need more support of those reasons to be implemented, not someone who is criticising the community for a seamlessly pointless +1

+1 to a dark theme

• Like 1

@GrumpyMonkey

Why say something like this? I'm sure many people are aware of the point your making, but you don't need to rub it in - we're vocalising something because we feel this is important and we DO know that dev's look at these forums. You making the assumption that our +1's don't carry any weight yet this thread could be the evidence that dev's need to even consider this a possibility. They could run a poll asking users if they want more customisation in Evernote. The reasons are self evident, we don't need more of them, we need more support of those reasons to be implemented, not someone who is criticising the community for a seamlessly pointless +1

+1 to a dark theme

I'm not trying to rub anything in here (I am unclear of what I am rubbing in). I am simply suggesting that there are more effective ways of making your point. It is true that I am not a developer, I have no idea what factors lead to their decisions to add or remove features, and I cannot know the impact your +1s have. I am just a user like you. I am guessing based on comments I have seen on the forums from developers who ask for use cases, workflows, etc. in order to better understand their users. My intent was to generate discussion in the discussion forums, not to discourage participation. Carry on.

Interesting topic.

I'm personally not fond of over dark colours but I think there should be a choice as long as it's not a compulsory theme that convers automatically at night for EN users.

I would love to be able to personalize my own theme.

I think the premium subscription should provide this.

I know about the iOS invert theme but that's also too harsh for me.

@GrumpyMonkey

+1 to a dark theme

I'm not trying to rub anything in here (I am unclear of what I am rubbing in). I am simply suggesting that there are more effective ways of making your point. It is true that I am not a developer, I have no idea what factors lead to their decisions to add or remove features, and I cannot know the impact your +1s have. I am just a user like you. I am guessing based on comments I have seen on the forums from developers who ask for use cases, workflows, etc. in order to better understand their users. My intent was to generate discussion in the discussion forums, not to discourage participation. Carry on.

Hi GrumpyMonkey. Your regular regulatory 'check-ins' are not likely to sway the minds of dark theme advocates voicing their opinions here. Lets not sidestep your personal motivations for whining here. What you and Jefito are complaining about include an inconvenience to your schedule, which includes dutifully tending to every thread on this forum; as seen by both of yours' 9 thousand plus posts. Yup, sounds like a really unfortunate case where you have no way to affect change and have to see us users grieving about in the aether.

Let me tell you that adding a simple +1 to a forum on a thread that resonates your own thoughts is cathartic. Without much effort you feel like your opinion was heard.

Hey let's see some developers present some 'swaying' arguments as to why not to have a dark theme. I suspect a discussion would soon arise that'd keep you at bay.

ANd bare '+1's just don't add anything to the conversation.

Of course they add something, they indicate other users also desire the feature, and on any other forum on the Internet they are encouraged, only on EN forums would we see "evangelists" arguing against them.  In GrumpyMonkey's case I think he was at least genuinely trying to help.