Desktop clipper doesn't work with multiple displays in Mavericks

Vaughan

Idea

22 replies to this idea

Still broken Evernote!!!!

And its not the first time.  I had this problem a couple of years ago and it was fixed.

If you've been working on this for a year and not come up with a fix, then could you please let us know because we can find alternative methods.  

Other than that, Evernote rocks!!!

Here's a workaround that's working for me in Yosemite while we wait for the fix that apparently isn't coming:

1. Hold down Command-Shift-Control-4.  

2.  Use the resulting cross-hairs to highlight the area to be clipped and put it on the Clipboard.

3. In Evernote, create a new note.

4. Paste (cmd-V) the clip.

Thank you for your prompt reply!

It's really interetsing...

When a product is really great ("Evernote")

What happens is that one incoprates it

into one's daily activities as a "trusted" resource.

The product then becomes "Essentail"

which is of course great for the user

and great for the provider.

When it blows up in one way

or another it has far reaching implications.

Working togther and practicing

good communication is key.

Your communication efforts are

greatly appreciated here...

Due in part to your attentiveness

and the attentivness of the Evernote

team on the front line

(face of Evernote to the public)

your actions have a positive

effect on customer retention!

Suggestion:

Anybody having this issue

should comment here

to promote a greater focus

on the issue.

Make note of the previous reply

from Evernote (captioned below):

-----

"It wasn’t until November 2014 that we started seeing new reports of this issue."

-----

Evernote can't fix what it doesn't know

is broken.

An oldie but goodie:

The squeaky wheel get's the most grease!

Take a moment and report the issue,

the more the issue is reported (don't just complain)

the more attention it will receive.

Provide details of your particular issue

to assit with uncovering the problem(s).

Become part of the solution,

not just a complainer.

I have taken the time to

submit this rather lengthy post

because it is an IMPORTANT

issue to me, possbily to others.

Let your voice be heard!!!

Until next time,

all the best.

Thanks for the prompt reply.  I should have expected as much from such a great app.

I'm good just knowing you guys are on it and look forward to the fix.

If it helps my setup:

- Macbook Air

- Yosimemite 10.10.1

- Evernote 6.0.5

- Samsung s24d390hl monitor

- monitor on the left right

In the mean time I will try your work-arounds.

cheers,

Sean

• Level 5

The issue was originally reported in late October 2013. We put in a fix in February 2014 which we believed fixed the problem. All the feedback we received from users confirmed our belief.

It wasn’t until November 2014 that we started seeing new reports of this issue. We don’t have a fix for this yet, but we are actively looking for a solution.

Ooops I made an error it seems...

It's been more like 2 years

See below----->>>>

Jackolicious
  • photo-thumb-86036.jpg?_r=0

• evernote-ambassador-forum-green-70.png
  • Title: Desktop Products
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 1,789 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:59 AM

a ) 10.9 is an operating system. (It's not simple)

b ) In 10.9, Apple drastically rewrote multi-display handling.

c ) 10.9 is less than 2 months old. 

It will take us some time to address all of the issues and edge cases on the new OS :)

Undoubtably you are aware of the issue...

I have tried as many suggestions that I could find,

none of them work consistently...

In your reply you say "While you are waiting for a fix...)

It has been over a year waiting... waiting...

Is there a more responsible reply available?

Will we be facing the same issue with Yosemete?

Truly-- I am a cool-aid drinker with respect to Evernote,

Love the product and have recommneded it

to many others...

But I must say... It's TIME!

Time for more insight as to what we can expect

moving forward.

Thanking you in advance for your consideration...

• Level 5

We are aware of this issue.

While you are waiting for a fix, there are a few workarounds that make it go away: try changing the arrangement of your displays and/or which display has the menu bar. As far as we can tell it seems to happen more frequently when displays are arranged one above the other, and less when they are side by side. 

It doesn't work in Yosemite either.  When I try to clip with the crosshairs I end up with a clip showing a partial view of the Dock from one of the monitors.  I did have this problem early in the Mavericks days, and then it got fixed. Now it's back.

Using OS X 10.10.1

Mavericks has been out for several months.  

Dual screen clipping initially worked on Mavericks and now it does not. 

I would not refer to this as an "edge case" as I am certain that there are many business users that have dual screens.  In offices I work with it's the norm, not the exception. 

Not sure I'm too happy with the attitude that it's hard so it will take some time.  Would you like to wait for my premium subscription payment?  I've been a big fan for many years but I agree with the previous post, the responsiveness to issues has gotten steadily worse.  I'd like to see it get better. 

This feature is still broken. When I clip on one screen, it clips something from another screen.

I would literally drag tabs from one window to my main window to clip them. But now I can't even do that.

I started using the Web Clipper which initially I was blown away by - but it is just way to slow to use. I want to click a button and then move on immediately and have it save in the background.

After years with Evernote - I have moved away from it towards Ember and other solutions.

There is not enough polish and attention to detail when it comes to user experience from Evernote as a whole.

There doesn't seem to be a prioritisation on fixing bugs either. There was about two years where I would `Copy url` and it would always crash. And the clipper regularly crashed too.

The desktop software has always been incredibly buggy and the interaction patterns are cumbersome.

Yes Evernote is a large company now and is very successful and I'm sure lots of people love it - but my feeling about it has always been "I wish there was something else".

Hey Vaughan,

If you're clipping mostly screenshots, can you use Skitch?

• Level 5

a ) 10.9 is an operating system. (It's not simple)

b ) In 10.9, Apple drastically rewrote multi-display handling.

c ) 10.9 is less than 2 months old. 

It will take us some time to address all of the issues and edge cases on the new OS :)

This feature is still broken. When I clip on one screen, it clips something from another screen.

I would literally drag tabs from one window to my main window to clip them. But now I can't even do that.

I started using the Web Clipper which initially I was blown away by - but it is just way to slow to use. I want to click a button and then move on immediately and have it save in the background.

After years with Evernote - I have moved away from it towards Ember and other solutions.

There is not enough polish and attention to detail when it comes to user experience from Evernote as a whole.

There doesn't seem to be a prioritisation on fixing bugs either. There was about two years where I would `Copy url` and it would always crash. And the clipper regularly crashed too.

The desktop software has always been incredibly buggy and the interaction patterns are cumbersome.

Yes Evernote is a large company now and is very successful and I'm sure lots of people love it - but my feeling about it has always been "I wish there was something else".

FWIW, I find that sometimes it does work, I just haven't quite figured out when. So, Jackolicious, any insights on workarounds would be super helpful.

I find that it will work reliably to capture an entire window on the primary screen, and reliably fails when I clip some random selection (so... clicking to capture a whole window works, selecting does not.) I don't find that the placement of the Evernote app window makes any difference. I use two monitors, the primary built-into a Macbook pro and a secondary which is positioned above the primary.

Help? I use this several times a day, sometimes several times an hour. My current work around is to use Grabbox to do the clipping then have an IFTTT script that automatically adds grabbox clips into Evernote. I'd just use that instead except that it's slower than the clipper. http://grabbox.devsoft.no/... perhaps Evernote could make them a small donation while we're waiting for a correction. 

A loyal user,

b

Archived