Spotlight doesn’t find any Evernote notes

Spotlight search is a MacOS feature so it's been a little bit more difficult to track down the specific issues that people are seeing and developing solutions.  Over the course of the last 2 to 3 months that we've been investigating this issue we've discovered a few things that might cause conflicts or issues in the Spotlight search system some of which were bugs in our code but others that occurred because of the way the system works.   Here are a few troubleshooting steps to try to fix the spotlight issues.

1) We fixed a bug in 6.0.7 where the path to our Spotlight search importer tool would be wrong for App Store users.  I believe this occurred if one ever installed the download version and then switched back to the App Store or vice-a-versa.  Please upgrade to the latest version of Evernote for Mac.

2) Running multiple copies of Evernote on the system or having old versions of Evernote in the trash could also confuse the system.  If you go to Terminal and type mdimport -L you'll see the paths for all of the spotlight search apps.  Delete old Evernote apps and make sure there is only one copy that appears in this list.  This will fix a bunch of the main spotlight issues.

3) In the upcoming 6.0.10 release we also fixed another bug where notes that were created on other platforms weren't getting indexed.  In other words if you created a note on your iPhone, this note would not be found using Spotlight.  Notes created on the Mac would work fine.  Again, this would only work if all of the path issues were fixed above.

4) After a note is edited, the spotlight index should get updated.  However if your spotlight system was messed up because of the path issues above then old notes that were edited or created during this period were probably not indexed by Spotlight.  To force a spotlight reindexing of all your notes delete  ~/Library/CoreData/com.evernote.Evernote.  This may take some time to fully reindex everything.

Please give these a try and reply back to this thread and let the overall Evernote community know if these worked for you of if there are still issues.  Thanks.  Also as Jack stated above if you continue to see issues we may contact you directly and ask for you to turn on some special logging so we can see what your particular system is doing so please report back your experience.

Hey... 

1. I have evernote 6.0.8 direct download. 
    dOHZXPd.png
  2. I have only one version of evernote and this has been for long time. 
    sw1vSJc.png
  3. I've never noticed about that problem. 
  4. I've deleted that folder and still no results. 
    5XrF1ob.png

My system is Mac OS X 10.9.5

QVYmtLE.png

i'm running mac os x 10.10.3, Evernote Version 6.0.8 (451398 App Store).  

i see no results in spotlight.  

i have no ~/Library/CoreData folder at all.   not sure what that might mean, if anything.

i do have ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/CoreData - not sure if that is related.  

i have been following this thread off and on for a long time.    finally last week, i opened a service ticket, got a request for an activity log.   provided that, but have heard nothing further.  

Appreciate SoftwareMarcus contributing.  

I made the checks he asked for - obsolete copies, double entries in paths.  No joy.  I'm reluctant to bother re-indexing a multi-gigabyte note collection as I'm not aware that anybody has had success doing this.  (And I'd need a cookbook.  I don't use unix/terminal, so I don't know the syntax to do as SoftwareMarcus asked.) 

There is this strange disconnect between Evernote people, who seem to think the Spotlight issue is rare, and people like me, who think it's common.  In our household we have two completely different Mac OS systems, different Evernote ids, both current, that share nothing but a wi-fi connection, and both have been unable to use Spotlight for a year or more.  In my case, both my home and office machines are unable to use Spotlight. What are the odds?

In my case, a Spotlight search on <kind:evernote> does turn up thousands of records of the form <p...enspot> and a handful with the form <note title.enspot>.  The latter correspond to spotlight searches that do produce evernote results.

I am with skkippy... I also have two mac, both with mavericks (last version), but with different username... and in both I have the issue.

I think, the matter is, people usually doesn't use the spotlight search to search for notes, but we do. So, we notice.  

Woooa! 

You pulled out the 6.0.10 version and today 6.0.11. That's fast! Is any of those aimed to fix this problem? I haven't notice anything... yet. Or do we have to do something to fix the spotlight problem with these new version? 

Appreciate SoftwareMarcus contributing.  

I made the checks he asked for - obsolete copies, double entries in paths.  No joy.  I'm reluctant to bother re-indexing a multi-gigabyte note collection as I'm not aware that anybody has had success doing this.  (And I'd need a cookbook.  I don't use unix/terminal, so I don't know the syntax to do as SoftwareMarcus asked.) 

There is this strange disconnect between Evernote people, who seem to think the Spotlight issue is rare, and people like me, who think it's common.  In our household we have two completely different Mac OS systems, different Evernote ids, both current, that share nothing but a wi-fi connection, and both have been unable to use Spotlight for a year or more.  In my case, both my home and office machines are unable to use Spotlight. What are the odds?

In my case, a Spotlight search on <kind:evernote> does turn up thousands of records of the form <p...enspot> and a handful with the form <note title.enspot>.  The latter correspond to spotlight searches that do produce evernote results.

Searching kind:evernote will only find actual files but it's not really reading your notes.

People have asked before on this thread what info devs need to tackle the issue, yet they don't reply to that specific question. I think this is just getting swept under the rug. I have also installed Evernote on different Macs and the issue is in all of them, so the claim of it is only affecting certain users is just completely false. Like I said before, this has been an issue for at least two years, so don't expect it to be fixed anytime soon

• Level 5*

Well it works fine for me so i guess there is some veracity in what they are saying.

They also have a bunch of different ways of getting data from users, this forum is just one such method and just because they aren't asking everyone who is seeing the issue to contribute data/evidence really doesn't mean that anything is being "swept under the rug".

Well it works fine for me so i guess there is some veracity in what they are saying.

They also have a bunch of different ways of getting data from users, this forum is just one such method and just because they aren't asking everyone who is seeing the issue to contribute data/evidence really doesn't mean that anything is being "swept under the rug".

What version are you using? direct downloaded or app store one? 

We are actively looking at this issue and can spend more time on it now that we've shipped 6.0.11.  For those of you who have tried the steps I provided and who continue to see issues can you try a simple test.  

1) Create a new note and type in a unique title.  

2) Go to Spotlight, search for this title and see if the note appears.

Does this work for you?  It just worked for me.  If this works that means Spotlight is now working but it doesn't necessarily mean old notes will be in the Spotlight index.  For example, we just fixed a bug in 6.0.10 where notes created on another client wouldn't get indexed.  This means none of these notes would appear in Spotlight until you edit them.   So there could be issues in the past that have affected old notes from appearing in Spotlight so this simple test will set a nice baseline for us to proceed.

Let me know your results.

We are actively looking at this issue and can spend more time on it now that we've shipped 6.0.11.  For those of you who have tried the steps I provided and who continue to see issues can you try a simple test.  

Does this work for you?  It just worked for me.  If this works that means Spotlight is now working but it doesn't necessarily mean old notes will be in the Spotlight index.  For example, we just fixed a bug in 6.0.10 where notes created on another client wouldn't get indexed.  This means none of these notes would appear in Spotlight until you edit them.   So there could be issues in the past that have affected old notes from appearing in Spotlight so this simple test will set a nice baseline for us to proceed.

Well, slap me, and call me Sally! (Actually, don't. LOL.) But so far, it's working in 6.0.11.

- Updated to 6.0.11 on my Mac Pro, created a new note with a ridiculous name, and it appeared in Spotlight results immediately.

- Went to my MacBook Pro (already running 6.0.11, as of earlier today), searched for the note, and Spotlight found it.

- Then, as a test, I went to my MacBook Air (infrequently used and NOT yet updated; it was running 6.0.6). I searched there, and the note was NOT found. Then I updated to 6.0.11, searched, and still nothing. However, although I could see the new note at the top of the list, it's possible that some indexing and such still wasn't complete. So, for good measure, I restarted that machine, searched again, and bingo!

So, so far, Spotlight is now finding Evernote notes on 3 of 3 Macs. (Yay!)

• Level 5*

Direct, why anyone would choose the App Store version I have no idea.....

It's working here now!

I deleted the whole  ~/Library/CoreData/com.evernote.Evernote.  and now is working. At least with the tittles. The only thing that I am not really sure about is the preview. Wasn't posible before see the note in the spotlight's preview? Now, it isn't. 

5D4w1G1.png

• Level 5*

Direct, why anyone would choose the App Store version I have no idea.....

I've never understood why anyone would do it either. Easier to download updates? Maybe for IT managers or someone working on dozens of Macs at once. Personally, I've never found the regular system of updates burdensome in the slightest.

I have the same issue.  Spotlight doesn't show anything from Evernote.  I've been checking on this topic occasionally to see if the issue has been resolved.  Yesterday I took another shot at it.  Deleted ~/Library/CoreData/com.evernote.Evernote, installed the latest version of Evernote, cleaned up my hard drive and freed up 100GB (!), forced Spotlight to re-index.  Created a new note with a unique word in the title.  It is still not working.  And the ~/Library/CoreData/com.evernote.Evernote file has not reappeared.

Spotlight can only find some notes but not all of them. Guess it has to do with the issue 

I have version 6.0.11 installed. It can find new notes but not old one.

I'm NOT running the App Store version.

Output of `mdimport -L`

2015-05-04 22:33:38.199 mdimport[6449:595909] Paths: id(501) (    "/Library/Spotlight/iBooksAuthor.mdimporter",    "/Library/Spotlight/iWork.mdimporter",    "/Library/Spotlight/Microsoft Office.mdimporter",    "/System/Library/Spotlight/Application.mdimporter",    "/System/Library/Spotlight/Archives.mdimporter",    "/System/Library/Spotlight/Audio.mdimporter",    "/System/Library/Spotlight/Automator.mdimporter",    "/System/Library/Spotlight/Bookmarks.mdimporter",    "/System/Library/Spotlight/Chat.mdimporter",    "/System/Library/Spotlight/CoreMedia.mdimporter",    "/System/Library/Spotlight/Font.mdimporter",    "/System/Library/Spotlight/iCal.mdimporter",    "/System/Library/Spotlight/Image.mdimporter",    "/System/Library/Spotlight/iPhoto.mdimporter",    "/System/Library/Spotlight/iPhoto8.mdimporter",    "/System/Library/Spotlight/Mail.mdimporter",    "/System/Library/Spotlight/MIDI.mdimporter",    "/System/Library/Spotlight/Notes.mdimporter",    "/System/Library/Spotlight/PDF.mdimporter",    "/System/Library/Spotlight/PS.mdimporter",    "/System/Library/Spotlight/QuartzComposer.mdimporter",    "/System/Library/Spotlight/RichText.mdimporter",    "/System/Library/Spotlight/SystemPrefs.mdimporter",    "/System/Library/Spotlight/vCard.mdimporter",    "/Applications/Pixelmator.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/Pixelmator.mdimporter",    "/Applications/Transmit.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/Transmit Favorite Importer.mdimporter",    "/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Applications/Application Loader.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/MZSpotlight.mdimporter",    "/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/uuid.mdimporter",    "/Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/EvernoteSpotlightImporter.mdimporter")

Spotlight can only find some notes but not all of them. Guess it has to do with the issue 

I have version 6.0.11 installed. It can find new notes but not old one.

I'm NOT running the App Store version.

Output of `mdimport -L`

2015-05-04 22:33:38.199 mdimport[6449:595909] Paths: id(501) (    "/Library/Spotlight/iBooksAuthor.mdimporter",    "/Library/Spotlight/iWork.mdimporter",    "/Library/Spotlight/Microsoft Office.mdimporter",    "/System/Library/Spotlight/Application.mdimporter",    "/System/Library/Spotlight/Archives.mdimporter",    "/System/Library/Spotlight/Audio.mdimporter",    "/System/Library/Spotlight/Automator.mdimporter",    "/System/Library/Spotlight/Bookmarks.mdimporter",    "/System/Library/Spotlight/Chat.mdimporter",    "/System/Library/Spotlight/CoreMedia.mdimporter",    "/System/Library/Spotlight/Font.mdimporter",    "/System/Library/Spotlight/iCal.mdimporter",    "/System/Library/Spotlight/Image.mdimporter",    "/System/Library/Spotlight/iPhoto.mdimporter",    "/System/Library/Spotlight/iPhoto8.mdimporter",    "/System/Library/Spotlight/Mail.mdimporter",    "/System/Library/Spotlight/MIDI.mdimporter",    "/System/Library/Spotlight/Notes.mdimporter",    "/System/Library/Spotlight/PDF.mdimporter",    "/System/Library/Spotlight/PS.mdimporter",    "/System/Library/Spotlight/QuartzComposer.mdimporter",    "/System/Library/Spotlight/RichText.mdimporter",    "/System/Library/Spotlight/SystemPrefs.mdimporter",    "/System/Library/Spotlight/vCard.mdimporter",    "/Applications/Pixelmator.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/Pixelmator.mdimporter",    "/Applications/Transmit.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/Transmit Favorite Importer.mdimporter",    "/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Applications/Application Loader.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/MZSpotlight.mdimporter",    "/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/uuid.mdimporter",    "/Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/EvernoteSpotlightImporter.mdimporter")

In your case I would definitely try deleting the Spotlight files for Evernote to force a reindexing of all of the old notes.

1) Quit Evernote.

2) Go to the Finder.  Hold down the Option key and and select Go.  Click on Library.  Library should appear after holding the option key.

3) Double click on CoreData.

4) Select com.evernote.Evernote and delete it.  

4) Relaunch Evernote.

Let us know if that helps.

I have the same issue.  Spotlight doesn't show anything from Evernote.  I've been checking on this topic occasionally to see if the issue has been resolved.  Yesterday I took another shot at it.  Deleted ~/Library/CoreData/com.evernote.Evernote, installed the latest version of Evernote, cleaned up my hard drive and freed up 100GB (!), forced Spotlight to re-index.  Created a new note with a unique word in the title.  It is still not working.  And the ~/Library/CoreData/com.evernote.Evernote file has not reappeared.

MTM and I are working on this offline but it appears there may still be an issue with the App Store version or possibly when you use the Direct Download version and then switch back to App Store.  We're still investigating.  

Well, slap me, and call me Sally! (Actually, don't. LOL.) But so far, it's working in 6.0.11.

- Updated to 6.0.11 on my Mac Pro, created a new note with a ridiculous name, and it appeared in Spotlight results immediately.

- Went to my MacBook Pro (already running 6.0.11, as of earlier today), searched for the note, and Spotlight found it.

- Then, as a test, I went to my MacBook Air (infrequently used and NOT yet updated; it was running 6.0.6). I searched there, and the note was NOT found. Then I updated to 6.0.11, searched, and still nothing. However, although I could see the new note at the top of the list, it's possible that some indexing and such still wasn't complete. So, for good measure, I restarted that machine, searched again, and bingo!

So, so far, Spotlight is now finding Evernote notes on 3 of 3 Macs. (Yay!)

Well, that was short-lived.  :-/

I hadn't needed to search Spotlight for an Evernote note since my previous post, 9 days ago. At the time, it was working again. But today's the first time I've tried it since—and it's not working. Or not consistently.

I was looking for a note with the word "Ambrosia." Spotlight found no Evernote notes containing that word. Yet, when I launched Evernote and searched, there were 21 notes containing that word.

Then, since the "new" Spotlight only returns a few results in each category, I checked my Spotlight preferences to make sure that documents were near the top of the list. (They were.)

- Then I searched for another word that is in literally several hundred notes, but Spotlight found only 1.

- Then I tried another seldom-used word: "handwritten." I have 3 notes containing that word, but Spotlight finds only 1.

- Then I tried "Ambrosia" again, but Spotlight still finds 0 notes.

NOTE: I wonder if the following is relevant:

1. In each case, when Spotlight finds 0 or 1 note, if I scroll down and select "Show All in Finder," the resulting Finder window does display all of the Evernote notes. (In the case of "Ambrosia," the window says there are 162 documents on this Mac containing that word—and the 21 Evernote notes are near the top, under "Documents." (So far so good.)

2. But if I open a Finder window and type "Ambrosia" into the search field and hit enter, only 81 items are found—and none of them is an Evernote note.

This seems to suggest some bugginess in the Finder or elsewhere in Yosemite's search routines, in addition to the Evernote/Spotlight issue.

Summary:

Spotlight "simple" search = No Evernote notes displayed

Spotlight + "Show All in Finder" = All relevant Evernote notes displayed

• 4 weeks later...

I too am having trouble with getting Spotlight to index my Evernote notes. I am using an App Store version. However, take a look at the attached screenshot shows which the contents of my ~/rmist/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote folder.

post-203525-0-15452800-1433345006_thumb.

Things to note:

1. The path of com.evernote.Evernote folder is located inside my Library/Containers folder - should this not be inside Library/Application Support? Perhaps this is because I am using an App Store version?

2. Inside my com.evernote.Evernote folder, there is a Data folder. Inside this Data folder there is what looks like a user home directory structure! It has it's own Desktop, Documents, Favourites, Images, Library etc directories. Very strange.

3. In this 'duplicate' Library folder, there is a CoreData folder (which doesn't exist in my real user home directory) which has it's own com.evernote.Evernote folder (Inception anyone? :)).

This leads me to suspect that Evernote is somehow corrupted itself by writing files to an incorrect directory, which has somehow caused it to replicate a user home directory structure within itself. 

• 2 weeks later...

I see the exact same structure as romiem (post #122), and I also can't see any results on spotlight, including newly created notes. I actually deleted the whole subtree after com.evernote.Evernote, and rebuilt my collection with sync, and still no joy.

I'm on Version 6.0.13 (451658 App Store) of Evernote running on OS X Yosemite 10.10.3.

• Level 5*

The Spotlight issue is several years old, so why waste your time fiddling with it (I blame the magic elves that run the pinwheel)? I think if you run the direct download version of the app, you'll probably have better luck (the same advice for a while now). Sometimes the download gets hidden, though (no one knows why), so Google "direct download Evernote" to find it.

The Spotlight issue is several years old, so why waste your time fiddling with it (I blame the magic elves that run the pinwheel)? I think if you run the direct download version of the app, you'll probably have better luck (the same advice for a while now). Sometimes the download gets hidden, though (no one knows why), so Google "direct download Evernote" to find it.

Good advice.  I gave up, installed the direct download version, forced Spotlight to re-index.  Ten minutes work, and Evernote results now show up.

• Level 5*

I don't even bother anymore. This is indeed a few years old and it seems unlikely to ever be fixed. And the new features in the Notes app from Apple is the last nail in the coffin.

Good riddance.

ios9 notes ought to be interesting, and they are a welcome improvement to an under-developed app, but i am afraid it is unlikely to ever be robust enough for my use case. i'd recommend just installing the direct download of evernote. it solves the problem.

• 1 month later...

Evenote's response to this is that it just doesn't work, sorry. No idea when it will. Thinking of stopping my premium membership. Spotlight is one of the main reasons I use evernote. 

Posted · Hidden by JMichaelTX, July 27, 2015 - DUP post. Original at https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/45607-spotlight-doesn’t-find-any-evernote-notes/?p=370880
Hidden by JMichaelTX, July 27, 2015 - DUP post. Original at https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/45607-spotlight-doesn’t-find-any-evernote-notes/?p=370880

Evenote's response to this is that it just doesn't work, sorry. No idea when it will. Thinking of stopping my premium membership. Spotlight is one of the main reasons I use evernote. 

• Level 5*

Evenote's response to this is that it just doesn't work, sorry. No idea when it will. 

Actually, that is NOT correct.  Evernote has been actively working on, and releasing, fixes for Spotlight searches for a while now.

It seems most, if not all, Spotlight issues are with the EN Mac App Store version.  

So the best fix is to switch from App Store to Direct D/L version at Evernote.com

We are actively looking at this issue and can spend more time on it now that we've shipped 6.0.11.  For those of you who have tried the steps I provided and who continue to see issues can you try a simple test.  

How to Fix Spotlight Issues

Spotlight search is a MacOS feature so it's been a little bit more difficult to track down the specific issues that people are seeing and developing solutions.  Over the course of the last 2 to 3 months that we've been investigating this issue we've discovered a few things that might cause conflicts or issues in the Spotlight search system some of which were bugs in our code but others that occurred because of the way the system works.  

Here are a few troubleshooting steps to try to fix the spotlight issues.

1) We fixed a bug in 6.0.7 where the path to our Spotlight search importer tool would be wrong for App Store users.  I believe this occurred if one ever installed the download version and then switched back to the App Store or vice-a-versa.  Please upgrade to the latest version of Evernote for Mac.

2) Running multiple copies of Evernote on the system or having old versions of Evernote in the trash could also confuse the system.  If you go to Terminal and type mdimport -L you'll see the paths for all of the spotlight search apps.  Delete old Evernote apps and make sure there is only one copy that appears in this list.  This will fix a bunch of the main spotlight issues.

3) In the upcoming 6.0.10 release we also fixed another bug where notes that were created on other platforms weren't getting indexed.  In other words if you created a note on your iPhone, this note would not be found using Spotlight.  Notes created on the Mac would work fine.  Again, this would only work if all of the path issues were fixed above.

4) After a note is edited, the spotlight index should get updated.  However if your spotlight system was messed up because of the path issues above then old notes that were edited or created during this period were probably not indexed by Spotlight.  To force a spotlight reindexing of all your notes delete  ~/Library/CoreData/com.evernote.Evernote.  This may take some time to fully reindex everything.

Please give these a try and reply back to this thread and let the overall Evernote community know if these worked for you of if there are still issues.  Thanks.  Also as Jack stated above if you continue to see issues we may contact you directly and ask for you to turn on some special logging so we can see what your particular system is doing so please report back your experience.

I already tried this months ago. Contacted Evernote support to report that it didn't work. They said, well too bad. I tried today again a complete uninstall and re-downloading from the Evernote web site. No luck. It doesn't work. No support from Evernote. Just a claim that it does work. But it doesn't. Not for me, and I am paying you every month. But you won't look into it. Shall I copy and paste the res

ponse from your support team?

• Level 5*

I already tried this months ago. Contacted Evernote support to report that it didn't work. They said, well too bad.

. . .

Shall I copy and paste the response from your support team?

Actually that would be a good idea, along with your Ticket#.  This will allow an Evernote employee monitoring this forum to further assist you.

I logged two tickets for this: Ticket #833297, for which I never received a response. Then ticket #1034041, which got a response from Evernote saying they would look into it. Then they said that they acknowledged it was an issue and would escalate it. They asked for an activity log at that stage, which I sent. And I have received no response since then (28 April - 3 months ago). See below:

Dave Z. (Evernote Support)

Apr 27, 09:11

Thank you for your patience and working with me on this.

I have gathered enough details to determine that this appears to be an issue. I am going to pass this along to my product team to further investigate.

In the meantime, I will need to wait for the quality assurance lead to finish testing and then assign it a priority. Based on their priority they will implement a fix. Due to the nature and way software changes and processes are implemented it may take sometime to implement a fix. I do understand how this can be frustrating and I am hopeful that a fix will be ready shortly. I also recommend following the discussions in our user forums (https://discussion.evernote.com) for the most up-to-date info on when fixes are released. Finally, it is advised to download our latest updates when they become available, so you don't miss out on any of our latest features and issue fixes.

Again, thank you very much for helping to bring this issue to our attention, I hope that we can get this resolved quickly and let me know if you have any further questions.

Thank you for your feedback and being a valued Evernote user.

Dave Z.

Cobi T. (Evernote Support)

Apr 26, 18:30

Thanks for getting back to me.

I'm going to escalate this to our technical support team for further assistance. Please understand that they are working on your case and a team member will respond to you as soon as they've had time to research the issue.

Regards,
Cobi T.

Hi :)

I finally managed to sort out the problem indexing Evernote on Yosemite. Evernote support sent me this:

1) Go to the Finder and hold down the Option key and select the Go menu.

2) Under the Go menu you should see Library.  Select this.

3) Now find CoreData and open that folder.

Do you see a folder called com.evernote.Evernote?

What is the date of that folder?  This is your spotlight search information for Evernote and should get updated every time you edit a note.  if the date is really old then something is wrong and your spotlight indexing isn't updating.  

If this is the case, then you may want to consider deleting this folder which will force Evernote to update all of your spotlight indexes.  We would like to try to avoid this because it could slow your system down while it's doing this especially if you have a lot of notes but it might be the only way to force it to update.

I found the folder - it seemed to have been updated recently. I didn't change anything. But somehow clicking on the folder made the indexing start working!

• Level 5*

Hi :)

I finally managed to sort out the problem indexing Evernote on Yosemite. Evernote support sent me this:

Glad your problem is resolved.

Two good friends:  Perseverance and Patience.   ;)

• 2 months later...

I've had this issue for a long while, but I just installed El Capitan and thought that might take care of it. Although it indexed everything else for the new Spotlight, Evernote notes were nowhere to be found.

I followed instructions upthread and deleted my App Store version, restarted, downloaded the direct version. When I logged in to Evernote it copied all my notes in and said it was migrating. I checked Spotlight and saw that it was re-indexing. It took several hours - I have a lot of notes.

Then when it was done I searched for several things but no Evernote notes showed up, not even in Finder.

I tried to force a re-index using the terminal method and some others but no dice.

I looked at the CoreData file and it was dated just now, so it's obviously up-to-date, but Spotlight isn't seeing it.

I deleted the file, quit Evernote, and restarted, but still nothing. I checked CoreData and it recreated the directory and files. 

I created a new note and searched for that, nothing.

Well, that seems to have worked. 

After doing all of the above I forced a re-index of Spotlight via Terminal. It's only half done, but Evernote notes are showing up. I don't know if some of the above steps are required before re-indexing or if indexing alone will take care of it.

• 1 month later...

I first posted on this discussion in January of 2013. But I have refused to pay monthly until the spotlight issue was solved. I finally bit the bullet yesterday with the free 6 month offer.  So now I need to see if I can fix it on my near 2000 items which spotlight ignores.

So my question is how  to switch from the app store to the download version when I have evernote on 3 macs, an iPhone 6s and an iPad. I'm just not sure what is the best way to proceed. If it is going to take awhile to get everything working can I continue to use it on one computer while it is indexing on another?

Could someone please list exactly how to proceed?

Thanks

I first posted on this discussion in January of 2013. But I have refused to pay monthly until the spotlight issue was solved. I finally bit the bullet yesterday with the free 6 month offer.  So now I need to see if I can fix it on my near 2000 items which spotlight ignores.

So my question is how  to switch from the app store to the download version when I have evernote on 3 macs, an iPhone 6s and an iPad. I'm just not sure what is the best way to proceed. If it is going to take awhile to get everything working can I continue to use it on one computer while it is indexing on another?

Could someone please list exactly how to proceed?

Thanks

You can switch to the direct download version of Evernote by reinstalling following these steps:

1. If Evernote is running, press **Command + Q** to quit the Evernote app

2. Open the Applications folder and drag Evernote to the Trash
3. Right-click (or **Ctrl + Click**) on the Trash and select **Empty Trash**
4. Restart your computer
5. Download and install Evernote for Mac from www.evernote.com/download
6. Drag the Evernote icon into your Applications folder
7. Open Evernote and log in to your Evernote account

This won't affect your ability to use Evernote on your iOS devices or the other Macs while one is reinstalling. Let me know if you have any questions!

Archived