Outlook Add-In - Disable Automatically Showing New Note

When I'm using the Outlook Add-In to send an email straight to Evernote, Evernote automatically opens a new window with the note just created. Is there a way to disable this? I don't need to see the note I just created from the email, and when I'm trying to work through several emails, it's an extra hassle to wait for the window to pop up and then to have to close it immediately.

• 9 months later...

I am in desperate need of this option as well. I use Evernote heavily and move a lot of emails from Outlook. Having to close a window showing a new note of an email I just read makes for a very slow experience on a PC. I've used the Mac version of the Outlook to Evernote script and I love it.

Emailing notes to Evernote is really not an option for me because I often work offline and I'd like to capture and organize emails in Evernote without being connected. A simple change to the plugin would work fantastically.

• Level 5*

A 'simple change' is often less simple than it looks,  requiring substantial investigation and development and rigorous testing.  Plus the return on investment has to be more than two users' convenience...

There's a setting in the Windows client that controls what happens after a new note has been created via the Clipping tools that integrate directly with the Windows Client. 

Evernote Windows Client > Tools > Options > Clipping tab section 'Clipping options' 

Uncheck the box 'Open clipped note in a new window' 

• 2 months later...
  • Level 5*

The 'clipper' in Outlook is installed as part of the main software,  so it's always good to close Outlook down before you install or update the app.

If the clipper appears not to be working properly,  try closing and restarting Outlook,  or shutting down and restarting your system.  If that doesn't have any effect you could consider uninstalling and reinstalling the main app.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/13/2014 at 11:08 AM, jbignert said:

Evernote Windows Client > Tools > Options > Clipping tab section 'Clipping options' 

Doesn't work. Clipping an email using the Evernote addin for Outlook still opens the newly clipped note every time, even with this checked. I even unchecked it, closed options, and checked it again -- no luck.

Sadly, there are no options in the Outlook addin for this either.

PLEASE FIX THIS! It's super annoying to need to close a note every time you clip an email from Outlook. Escape doesn't work, so you have to use Alt+F4 or hit the X. Blech.

• 3 months later...
On 8/13/2014 at 9:08 AM, jbignert said:

This used to work, but now for some reason it doesn't work anymore. When I clip an email in Outlook, it would open a new window with the clipped email. Super annoying!

Anyone found a fix for this?

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, Faisal Malallah said:

This used to work, but now for some reason it doesn't work anymore. When I clip an email in Outlook, it would open a new window with the clipped email. Super annoying!

Anyone found a fix for this?

The option still exists,  and I prefer seeing the clipped email again - gives me a second chance to add the tags and edit the title that I forgot to change in the previous window.  If ticking / unticking isn't working,  does restarting the device / uninstalling and reinstalling Evernote help?

On 7/28/2017 at 8:45 AM, gazumped said:

The option still exists,  and I prefer seeing the clipped email again - gives me a second chance to add the tags and edit the title that I forgot to change in the previous window.  If ticking / unticking isn't working,  does restarting the device / uninstalling and reinstalling Evernote help?

I did the ticking/unticking and the uninstall/reinstall ... still the same issue. 

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  If you didn't already do so I'd suggest you reach out to Support directly about this if you're a paying customer on https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new or tweet them if not via https://twitter.com/evernotehelps

It might be possible to completely uninstall Evernote (including the files and settings that Windows doesn't usually reach) with Revo Uninstaller Free and then do a completely 'clean' reinstall,  but that will also lose any actvity logs you may have - which could help nail this issue down.  Best to get support's input first....

I'm just chiming in to add that the "Open clipped note in a new window" setting doesn't make a difference for me, either. The note always pops up after clipping an email in Outlook. I find it incredibly annoying, but the added value from having the email in Evernote is enough that I keep using the clipper anyways.

Archived