Notebook Stack Sharing

Richard Feynman

Idea

Currently EN only allows sharing at the notebook level. This greatly limits the functionality for those of us who use stacks, because it prevents us from sharing our hierarchical structure, and all context is lost. For instance, let's say I want to share:

Project 1 (stack)

- Tasks

- Notes

project 2 (stack)

- Tasks

- Notes

All the users us going to see is four notebooks, two named tasks and two named notes, they won't be able to see which project they are stacked under. All context is lost. And I have to share every single notebook. And before someone tells me how I can use a workaround :), I know I could but I don't want to use a cumbersome workaround, I'd really like to see this added as a feature.

Thanks

• Like 7

As of today, stack sharing is still not available, gosh why so difficult?  I have a stack of 20 notes to share with my hubby and friends, but I cannot.  Sharing each notes would be so much more work....and stupid.

First, you have no idea of the difficulties involved. Second, AFAIK, EN hasn't even said they will do this or when. So I'm guessing sharing stacks is still not going to be available tomorrow. Or next week. Or even next month.

hello - okay found this thread because I had some questions: ( I am a premium user)

and I am sure this has been beat into ground a few times elsewhere...

I finally want to share a notebook (I understand what a notebook is)

now in that Notebook are other notebooks (stacks?).. i am assuming thats what a notebook with other notebooks in them are called?

so, if I have a "notebook" called Family - with my kids names in the subnotebooks as follows

Family

-Mark

-nick

-john

-sarah

I won't be able to share Family with them and they would ALL see ALL the folders above?

I would only be able to share a Notebook called "Family" with no other notebooks to be seen?

and that would be the definition of no stacks can be shared?

is that true with business members as well?

thank you for your time and responses.... MD

_ premium user

- using the 3 notebook method with tags, to eliminate the to many notebooks mess (i had to re-organize just recently- as it was out of hand)

notebooks I have:

-inbox       (my renamed default folder to process notes)

-work        ( ha, I am retired, so there is nothing here, but you never know!)

-Personal (302 notes)

want to start and share a notebook(s) with my family - trying figure that out.

• Level 5*

Hi. The Notebook you're calling Family is actually a stack not a notebook so you won't have a share option for that. The "subnotebooks" are Notebooks so can be shared. You could share all the notebooks to all the family, or combine the notebooks into one (tag the notes with the name of the family member) and share that. Business has the same options.

Wow, I'm surprised you cannot share stacks and that Evernote doesn't then have a subnotebook option. I just spent a lot of time creating notebooks, dividing notes into them neatly, only to realize I can't share the stack. This is extremely frustrating, because I just wrecked a project I've been working on for my department at work and will have to spend a lot of time reverting. The use of tags seems like a flimsy workaround for something that would seem pretty obvious. I just purchased the premium version this week too for the advanced sharing options. Oh well.....

I work in Customer Service and hate seeing negative feedback in feature requests on our forum, so I feel bad in writing this. However, this missing feature took the wind out of the sails of a great product. Without Evernote, I couldn't be as efficient as I am at my job and wanted to make sure my whole dept had this efficiency tool in their arsenal. Guess I'll have to redo my work and explain to everyone how to use this.

• Level 5*

Wow, I'm surprised you cannot share stacks and that Evernote doesn't then have a subnotebook option. I just spent a lot of time creating notebooks, dividing notes into them neatly, only to realize I can't share the stack. This is extremely frustrating, because I just wrecked a project I've been working on for my department at work and will have to spend a lot of time reverting. The use of tags seems like a flimsy workaround for something that would seem pretty obvious. I just purchased the premium version this week too for the advanced sharing options. Oh well.....

The fact that Evernote doesn't have subnotebooks is well-known, and discussed here in the forums. Sorry that it surprises you -- they don't seem to want to offer it, plain and simple. It's kind of too bad that you spent a lot of time on your project without understanding how Evernote works. As it is, tags are actually great for organizing notes in Evernote for many purposes, and not a workaround at all (tags present a commonly used tool, similar to labels in GMail and Categories in MS Outlook), but you are correct that you can't share by tag. I can see where that would be useful, but again, this has been requested and Evernote doesn't appear to want to offer that option at this time.

I work in Customer Service and hate seeing negative feedback in feature requests on our forum, so I feel bad in writing this. However, this missing feature took the wind out of the sails of a great product. Without Evernote, I couldn't be as efficient as I am at my job and wanted to make sure my whole dept had this efficiency tool in their arsenal. Guess I'll have to redo my work and explain to everyone how to use this.

It's fine to post feedback like this -- Evernote wants to hear it (even if it hurts a bit), and they need to hear it -- they may have plans to offer this sort of functionality in the future but haven't prioritized it just yet -- you just don't know since their policy is not to disclose their feature roadmaps ahead of time.

Hi, I have a question / solution for this.

I also need to share stacks BUT....

So I came up with this idea, but I need someone to confirm is it possible before i go with it.

A have a team of three people.

I have a stack named PROJECT, and i have Notebooks in it called: PLAN, FAQ and WORK.

What if i share with my partners Notebooks PLAN, FAQ and WORK and ask them to make a stack called PROJECT in their Evernote.

And if I need to make a new Notebook for that stack, I will make it, share it and write them a note to put it in the stack PROJECT.

Would that work?

thnx..

• Level 5*

Hi, I have a question / solution for this.

I also need to share stacks BUT....

So I came up with this idea, but I need someone to confirm is it possible before i go with it.

A have a team of three people.

I have a stack named PROJECT, and i have Notebooks in it called: PLAN, FAQ and WORK.

What if i share with my partners Notebooks PLAN, FAQ and WORK and ask them to make a stack called PROJECT in their Evernote.

And if I need to make a new Notebook for that stack, I will make it, share it and write them a note to put it in the stack PROJECT.

Would that work?

thnx..

Should work -- they're just replicating the stack structure that you have, even though they are completely independent of each other.

Stacks being a business-level object would be helpful. For example, I have two notebooks that both relate to the same business function but I want to keep the topics very clearly separate.

One is a repository for information and the other is for 'meta' information about the system itself. I'd ideally like to stack these together in the business so users see and understand the hierarchy at a glance. Since I can't do that, they have to be named in a redundant manner (i.e., "Project Name Info" and "Project Name Meta").

I guess I could use a "meta" tag, but I'd really prefer to keep them separate.

The inability to share stacks is compounded by the fact that we cannot tag items within a note.   Here's the example (in a school setting, but you get the idea).

We want to use Evernote for a digital portfolio.   There are 10 aspects of student achievement that we wish to highlight.   We want the student to be able to share that portoflio with their teachers and parents.   Each item (document, picture, etc.) may apply to more than one aspect on occasion.   SO:

If we could have a single notebook "portfolio" with 10 notes "1 for each aspect" and then tag each item within each note (to allow each item to be searched using those descriptor tags), we would be good.   A single notebook could then be shared, but a tag only applies to an entire note.  SO, this won't work.

OR, if we could have a stack entitled portfolio, with 10 notebooks, 1 for each aspect.   Then each item could have its own note, within the appropriate notebook, and tagged as needed.   However, for this system, not a single item, but 10 would need be individually shared with each teacher, parent.   So, each teacher who has multiple students sharing items with him/her has not a single item shared but 10.   This gets to be a problem pretty quickly.

So, Evernote needs to either impliment the ability to tag anything WITHIN a note, and not just the note itself, or it needs to impliment the ability to share an entire stack as a single entity.

• Level 5*

So, Evernote needs to either impliment the ability to tag anything WITHIN a note, and not just the note itself, or it needs to impliment the ability to share an entire stack as a single entity.

As regards your architecture, I don't see much need for either internal tags or shared stacks. Each student has a portfolio: that's a notebook. Each *single* item in the portfolio ("document, picture, etc.") is a note in that notebook / portfolio. Each portfolio item can exhibit any number of aspects: that sounds like tags to me, since multiple tags can be applied to a single note. You share on a notebook basis, so the portfolio is inherently shareable. You can search on individual aspects (tags) or multiple.

If you need more granularity (a single section of a portfolio item represents an aspect?), then you can always implement "internal tags" by using keywords embedded in the text, one per aspect type. This will work better if they are uncommonly used words. A search for those aspect words will turn up the note, and an internal note search (Ctrl+F) will turn up the instances of each aspect.

While this is only speculation, one reason why this may not be implemented is that it would essentially prohibit shared users from implementing their own stack organization on notebooks they are invited to. 

For example, lets say you are part of a group with several concurrent projects (project A, B, and C). You have a notebook for each project, plus a general group notebook. 

You might be inclined to make a stack "Group", and share the whole deal with your users, who will all then have this stack. 

But what if Jacob wants Project B in a different stack, or wants the group notebook in a different stack from the project notebooks?

Perhaps the biggest issue is, what happens if you add Polly to the group, but she's only involved in Project A and Project C? Then you'd have t o independently share just those notebooks with her and NOT the stack. So everyone else gets the stack but Polly gets individual notebooks. But then Lauren gets added and she's Project B only at first, but then joint projects A and C.

So what do you do with Polly? Share each individual notebook, or do you revoke access to Project B then invite her to the stack?

Too complicated for little benefit. If your organization is this complex, the additional features of Evernote Business may be worthwhile. 

• Like 1

Thats a bit convoluted, and of course, I'm only asking for the option to share a stack.  Perfect example.  I am currently the co-executor of a rather complex estate.  Within my stack I have a host of notebooks, each having a unique purpose.  I want my co-executor to be able to access all those notebooks without sharing each one separately.

Anyhow, I still really like the product, and I'm learning new things about it every day. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

• Like 1

Thats a bit convoluted,

It may be a bit convoluted, but that's a sample of what needs to be considered when adding or expanding on features. Sure, *you* may only want the *option* to share a stack. But the next person may have the issues Scott described. Many things that may appear to be simple to a user have a lot of implications under the hood.

well perhaps one day it will be easier to bulk-share notebooks. Unfortunately Evernote doesn't publish their roadmap so we can only speculate! We'll just have to wait and see. 

That being said I don't imagine it will be high-priority. Sharing is really a one-time deal, you don't have to continually re-share. That being said, if you are needing to share something like 5 or more notebooks, I can see how that can be frustrating, but again, at least once it is done, it's done!

Again, it would be nice to hear why this is not part of Evernote.  Did a search and many people have requested it.  One would think it makes much sense.

In addition to not publishing their roadmap or ETAs, they do not publish why they've chosen to incorporate certain features (or not) or why features are a low priority.  (Nor do they need to.)

However it is really annoying that no one at Evernote seems to be listening to a request that has been made over and over again by its users.

Of course they listen. However, listening doesn't mean they will give it a high priority or even put it on their to do list.

Thanks for your input.  I sense that people using this great product want to refine it so it fits their needs. Different people have different needs and this means that everyone is not going to be totally satisfied.  I must say, that other then this sharing issue, this is one of the best applications I have ever used. 

• Like 2

Hi Rextilleon,

I think you hit the nail on the head. They do their best to optimize their application for the widest possible variety of use cases, but inevitably there are shortcomings of one type or another. These could be related to hardware/OS limitations, or unanticipated use cases, or extreme difficulty in implementing the feature (especially across platforms, and often times it is minor or seemingly simple features that can be the most troublesome!), or because they simply do not see Evernote as being the optimal application/service for a particular use case and would rather not complicate it unnecessarily. 

Now, if you or I could develop the program of our dreams, that would really be something! Alas, we must work with someone else's vision of what the software ought to be which will always fall short here or there, no matter how good the developer is.

Glad you enjoy Evernote and the community here is always happy to help or just "talk shop" about Evernote!

• Like 1

Thanks for your input.  I sense that people using this great product want to refine it so it fits their needs. Different people have different needs and this means that everyone is not going to be totally satisfied.  I must say, that other then this sharing issue, this is one of the best applications I have ever used. 

Indeed!  The board is littered with posts from people who say feature ___ (fill in the blank) is 'basic' & should have been included in EN from the beginning.  If there is a single app that makes & keeps all their users happy, I've not heard of it.  So we users need to decide what app works best for us & sometimes that takes some adapting on our end or finding a different product.  I have my own complaints about Evernote & have posted them on the board.  But the bottom line is that Evernote suits my needs better than any other app I've used & I have some workarounds in place to help deal with the shortcomings.  My dealings with the people behind the company have been favorable as well.  They are a very smart bunch & contrary to what a lot of people seem to think (based upon some of the posts on the board), they really care about their users & their products.  But when you have over 60 million users, as you said, there are going to be some users who are not totally satisfied.  :)

I know this has been suggested before, but I would love to see the ability to share stacks (and all the notebooks contained in them).  I know there are workarounds and not everyone would find this useful, however I feel strongly that it would help me and other users.

Thanks!

Edited by jefito
Topic merged with identical request
  • Like 1

I know this has been suggested before, but I would love to see the ability to share stacks (and all the notebooks contained in them). I know there are workarounds and not everyone would find this useful, however I feel strongly that it would help me and other users.

Thanks!

Yes, you are right. This has been suggested before. Evernote staff read all posts on the board so please do not start new threads for the sake of starting a new thread. Unlike bed sheets, thread count does not matter here.

• Like 2

I know this has been suggested before, but I would love to see the ability to share stacks (and all the notebooks contained in them). I know there are workarounds and not everyone would find this useful, however I feel strongly that it would help me and other users.

Thanks!

Yes, you are right. This has been suggested before. Evernote staff read all posts on the board so please do not start new threads for the sake of starting a new thread. Unlike bed sheets, thread count does not matter here.

There doesnt seem to be any indication that this person started a thread simply for the sake of starting one. They have a need and the place they have to let evernote know about it is this forum. They wanted to let evernote know that they are one more person that needs this feature.

If you have a problem with too many threads, that is your problem quite frankly, this forum doesnt have a dedicated area or way for users to request features. If there was a way to request a feature that other users could upvote, then this user could have made their need known by upvoting the request instead of creating a new one. Or if there was a dedicated area of the forum for feature requests then they could add to an existing request thread with a +1 type of reply. The way this forum is encourages new threads to bring the users request to the attention of evernote staff.

The team at Basecamp/37Signals build new features based on how often they hear about new feature requests from customers. If it is really a widely desired feature then many people will bring it up and bring it up repeatedly over time to show that there is an actual need. The reason they do this is because it is the natural way we as humans make requests. We might have a fleeting fancy that we ask someone about but forget to follow up on because it wasnt really that important, but if it is truly a need we will be persistant until we get what we need or we move on to someone/something that can fulfill that need.

So basically this was a long winded way of telling you your request to stop posting new threads was off-base and dismissive. Take a look at that users post history, they haven't made another post on here since your reply. I can't say this is causation, but it very well could be correlation, your reply certainly was not helpful, let alone neutral in its tone.

I came across this thread because I myself was looking to see if the sharing of stacks feature existed, it is a need I seriously have. But I ended up creating an account on this forum simply to respond to your ridiculous reply to an innocent request from another user(as an aside - this sentence has way too many prepositional phrases). Please ruminate a bit on this.

Oh, and +1 on the feature request.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

If you have a problem with too many threads, that is your problem quite frankly, this forum doesnt have a dedicated area or way for users to request features. If there was a way to request a feature that other users could upvote, then this user could have made their need known by upvoting the request instead of creating a new one. Or if there was a dedicated area of the forum for feature requests then they could add to an existing request thread with a +1 type of reply. The way this forum is encourages new threads to bring the users request to the attention of evernote staff.

We can fix the "too many threads" problem by merging topics that are identical. Done, as this seemed an obvious case.

The forum has a search function, and folks that use it can often find posts that request the same feature, and can add to the conversation themselves. Just discussing things on the forums is indeed a feature request feature, as Evernote staff, including developer staff to roam the halls and read everything. Does the forum need an official upvoting function? Not sure myself, but in the past the CTO, Dave Engberg, has indicated that that's not what they want or need.

The team at Basecamp/37Signals build new features based on how often they hear about new feature requests from customers. If it is really a widely desired feature then many people will bring it up and bring it up repeatedly over time to show that there is an actual need. The reason they do this is because it is the natural way we as humans make requests. We might have a fleeting fancy that we ask someone about but forget to follow up on because it wasnt really that important, but if it is truly a need we will be persistant until we get what we need or we move on to someone/something that can fulfill that need.

Tha's fine for Basecamp, but lots of companies use different approaches; Evernote is one. This forum only one of the ways that they hear from customers, by the way, as you may know already.

So basically this was a long winded way of telling you your request to stop posting new threads was off-base and dismissive. Take a look at that users post history, they haven't made another post on here since your reply. I can't say this is causation, but it very well could be correlation, your reply certainly was not helpful, let alone neutral in its tone.

We tend to prefer to keep like topics together. Obviously with topic drift, that's not always possible. Starting new topics doesn't really add to the cause, as far as I can tell, and the Evernote staff are not so blind as to miss long, active topics.

I would like to voice my strong support for the request to make sharing of stacks of notebooks possible. Like the previous poster I came here because I was looking in the forums to see how to do it - and then was quite disappointed to see it can't be done (yet).

Properties like sharing should be inherited. And to add to the discussion: it would be very helpful if this was combined with nesting in more than two/three layers (i.e. Top Level Stack/Any number of intermediate Stacks/.../Lowest Level Stack/Notebooks/Notes, instead of just Stack/Notebooks/Notes).

:-D

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Properties like sharing should be inherited. And to add to the discussion: it would be very helpful if this was combined with nesting in more than two/three layers (i.e. Top Level Stack/Any number of intermediate Stacks/.../Lowest Level Stack/Notebooks/Notes, instead of just Stack/Notebooks/Notes).

There's plenty of, and endless, discussion here on the topic of adding more hierarchy to Evernote. Not much interest shown on Evernote's part -- they seem to be satisfied with the current notebooks & tags arrangement (Evernote tags can be hierarchically organized). Stacks are useful, though a bit of an afterthought.

Yup ..Evernote is perfect! No need to change anything.  It appears this thread is 3yrs old. You think anyone is listening to the stupid users?  I don't.  2yrs ago someone suggested it would take longer than 2 wks to nest notes, stacks, tags whatever... (it's all been discussed at length)  ..right on point!

• Level 5*

Yup ..Evernote is perfect! No need to change anything.  It appears this thread is 3yrs old. You think anyone is listening to the stupid users?  I don't.  2yrs ago someone suggested it would take longer than 2 wks to nest notes, stacks, tags whatever... (it's all been discussed at length)  ..right on point!

Hi. Great to see you on the forums, and it's nice to have lots of different viewpoints, but I think this criticism isn't quite accurate. The Evernote employees are clearly listening -- they are right here in this thread.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/45551-request-notebook-stack-sharing/?p=120529

From my perspective, though, there are going to be lots of suggestions, and not all of them will fit in with the vision the developers have for the app, so we can't expect everything to be implemented. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Nobody here has said that Evernote is perfect, or shouldn't change anything. Listening is not always doing. But you're right -- it's all been discussed at length. Of course, if you don't think that they're listening, what are you here for?
  • Like 2

Wow, came here to find this ability doesn't exist. Amazed at how ridiculous this is. As a premium user, I share a ton of different notes with my wife and co-workers, and create new ones constantly. A shared stack (which is just a folder as far as I can tell), would make life insanely easy, but this doesn't seem to be happening.

There are so many interface oddities in the desktop app already (e.g., not being able to drag notes between stacks on the left column), that I think I am going to start looking at alternatives - my general take is that Evernote is more interested in the feature checklist rather than usability and the roadmap forward, as far as anyone knows, is more of the same. Please prove me wrong.

• Level 5*

Wow, came here to find this ability doesn't exist. Amazed at how ridiculous this is. As a premium user, I share a ton of different notes with my wife and co-workers, and create new ones constantly. A shared stack (which is just a folder as far as I can tell), would make life insanely easy, but this doesn't seem to be happening.

There are so many interface oddities in the desktop app already (e.g., not being able to drag notes between stacks on the left column), that I think I am going to start looking at alternatives - my general take is that Evernote is more interested in the feature checklist rather than usability and the roadmap forward, as far as anyone knows, is more of the same. Please prove me wrong.

A stack is not a folder. Folders do not exist in Evernote. The Evernote architecture is as follows:

* Evernote stores your content (text, images, attachments, metadata like tags, etc.) in Notes.

* Evernote stores notes in Notebooks.

* Evernote stores notebooks in Stacks.

You cannot drag notes between stacks because notes are not stored in stacks; they are stored in notebooks. You certainly can drag notes between notebooks.

There is no proving you right or wrong. If Evernote works for you, then use it. If it doesn't, then don't. If you don't know how to use it, and you have a use case in mind, then ask; someone will try to help you to understand Evernote betetr so that you can make an informed choice.

Here is my use case:

I have a ton of notebooks with different subjects and am always creating more. Some subset of those (old and new) I need to share with one group quickly and easily without having to jump through hoops. Sharing stacks, which for all intents and purposes look like folders, would solve this easily for me. Instead they are a personal sorting mechanism with little actual use beyond that.

I know how to use Evernote, I just don't care for its limitations which is why I am going to look for another solution. And the snobbish, passive aggressive BS from defenders makes Evernote even less appealing. Definitely going to move. I am interested in solutions, not excuses.

• Level 5*

Here is my use case:

I have a ton of notebooks with different subjects and am always creating more. Some subset of those (old and new) I need to share with one group quickly and easily without having to jump through hoops. Sharing stacks, which for all intents and purposes look like folders, would solve this easily for me. Instead they are a personal sorting mechanism with little actual use beyond that.

Sure. Stacks were introduced specifically as a way to organize your notebooks better in the UI. You can do some useful things with stacks (e.g. exporting a stack, participating in filtering), but this isn't one of them, unfortunately. I think that's been explored pretty thoroughly in the topic.

I know how to use Evernote, I just don't care for its limitations which is why I am going to look for another solution. And the snobbish, passive aggressive BS from defenders makes Evernote even less appealing. Definitely going to move. I am interested in solutions, not excuses.

So who's giving excuses? If you read back, I think that you'll find that I agree that it would be useful functionality. But I don't write the code, and I don't control Evernote's priorities.
  • Like 1

Just thought I'd climb back into this boat. 

Again, not debating the request in the slightest, but I wonder if sharing stacks is really the best way to solve some of the shortcomings with sharing. 

For example, the idea behind sharing stacks, as I see it, is to share multiple notebooks in a single pass. For both technical and practical reasons I wonder whether this is ideal. Perhaps a revamped sharing mechanism not based on stacks would be ideal.

Stack-based sharing means that the sharer is limited in their organization according to where/how notebooks are shared. This could be frustrating if, for example, you have a stack that has a combination of notebooks to be shared, and not to be shared, or where permissions differ for some of the notebooks within the stack. 

It also makes it hard if many notebooks need to be shared with the same people bet exist in several different stacks because that is how the are best organized conceptually. Then you have to re-organize your notebooks simply for the sake of being able to share them easier. To me this is not a worthwhile tradeoff. 

Thus, rather than sharing stacks, I would argue that some bulk sharing mechanism would be ideal. It solves, essentially, the same issue, which is sharing large numbers of notebooks simultaneously. It also means that stacks remain purely organizational, so you could have a scheme in which stacks are created based on how notebooks are shared (so a stack that contains all notebooks shared with X and another for those shared with y), or you could use stacks for your own organizational needs not related to sharing. 

It also deals with the conceptual complexity of sharing a "stack". With sharing a stack, on the recipients end, should it appear as a stack or a bunch of discrete notebooks? Is this bunch of notebooks something they can then organize how they like? Or is the organization of these notebooks within a stack imposed by the owner?

Bulk sharing does away with any of these complexities.

Long story short:

I understand the need for mass-sharing. I think mass-sharing by stack is misguided. I think mass sharing shouldn't be tied to stacks, it needs to be its own mechanism. 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, henrivdm said:

it makes sharing a complete PAIN that you cannot share a stack. It basically makes it impractical to share anything but  the most unstructured stuff.

You might want tp think about organizing your notes using tags, and use tables for their share/local/offsite features

The tags get shared along as part of the notes

On 5/26/2016 at 1:00 PM, DTLow said:

You might want tp think about organizing your notes using tags, and use tables for their share/local/offsite features

The tags get shared along as part of the notes

Yes, thanks, I am realising that....need to get my head around how to get the correct intersection between my own organisation and the need to share stuff easily and quickly.
The problem is that Sharing lives in the world of the Notebook, and not the Tag....so if there is a part of your organisational hierarchy you want to share, you will need to put those specific notes in a different notebook.  Not impossible, but a mindshift.

• Like 1

Right now, I can only access a note shared with me in the chat because the note belongs to a stack someone else created. The shared note never appairs in my "notes" because of this and I must go through the whole chat to read and edit the note. Please enable sharing of stacks, because right now it's just a mess with no structure. Also enable search among ideas, I don't have time to go through over 700 ideas to see if my idea was already there and avoid publishing doublets...

• Like 1

When searching "share stack", the results provide over 50+ results.  I really wish Evernote would provide a roadmap of their upcoming features.  This is bordering on ridiculous.  How many threads have to be created & how many people have to voice their opinion before Evernote provides the functionality being requested???

• Like 1

It is absolutely silly and creates big problems, as many users have been saying for the past 5 years, not to enable sharing of stacks. I am trying to collaborate with a co-author on a book and I current have some dozen notebooks in a stack for the book. I need to be able to add notebooks, duplicate and move notes among multiple notebooks, see new notebooks the co-author is adding and, as Richard Feynman originally requested, preserve the hierarchy of the notebook structure and keep it visible to my co-author. Why has there been no action on this request for half a decade? And no response from Evernote?

• Level 5*

So this feature request for stack sharing (which is the amalgamation of several separate, but similar feature requests) is now in the new Feature Requests forum, which means that you can vote for it if you would like it. Your votes may or may not be the absolute decision-maker for the implementation of the request, but they will help Evernote to gauge interest in stack sharing. 

I voted for it.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
8 hours ago, pins said:

Pls Add new function : share a stack of notebooks to others

Technically, there is no such thing as "a stack." It is just a visual representation for you of how you want to view notebooks. It is not like a folder, then sub folders on your PC/Mac, which are all real folders.

I suppose they could do this by looping through each notebook in the stack and sharing them one at a time, but then it becomes difficult to unshare a stack if you've tweaked individual notebooks in the stack with other permissions.

Not impossible, but that is why you cannot share a stack today - there is really no such thing.

Sharing stacks would be a very useful addition.

Evernote's great strength is its flexibility in how a user wants to use the system. 

Being able to share a stack enables the user to make the choice depending on their particular needs.

Technically there is also no such thing as folders and directories on a hard disk either.  In terms of usage for most people there is no difference.

This is a huge hole in the Evernote feature set. I'm wondering why new notebooks are not seen by the shared users. This is why.

Please add shared notebook stacks. Even if there is a magic tag, for example, added to each notebook in the stack that automatically shares new notebooks in that stack.

I understand the value of Spaces for Businesses but I just want to share a stack of notebooks with family members and maintain a somewhat cohesive order to the shared folders.  It would be fantastic if we could share stacks!  Thanks for considering this feature request!!  Vote it up!!!  

As "EdH" said before, in fact stacks do not really exist, they are just a label given to a group of notebooks. In that sense the sharing of a stack is already a bulk sharing arrangement, albeit an unwieldy one. The only way out of this problem is to make stacks real, that is make them an existing entity at file & folder level, and make notebooks sit in a multi-level hierarchy. What we need is a nested hierarchical structure, much like the pages in a wiki (look at Atlasssian Confluence, for example). And then make sure that properties are inherited down, with the possibility to set different (sharing) properties for wherever in the structure you are. For example in a specific branch until say level 2 read/write for all and then down from level 3 only a limited group, or only read but not write, and down from yet another level only the owner - you get the idea.

• Level 5*
On 10/6/2018 at 1:47 AM, Joris G said:

The only way out of this problem is to make stacks real

My understanding is tha Evernote is not enhancing the Stack feature.
Instead, the focus is on the Spaces feature.

>>and make notebooks sit in a multi-level hierarchy

That's a completely different feature request.
Evernote implemented two fields for note organization; Notebooks and Tags
The solution for hierarchy was implemented with the Tag field.

Hi, any update on this quite basic function which should have been integrated in evernote a long time ago?

Evernote as today is kind of useless for team collaboration. My company would buy a premium subscription if better sharing/collaborating features would have been implemented.

• Level 5

If you look at the accounts possible, Premium is regarded as a personal account. So you can share, but control over the share is limited in itself, and as observed restricted to notes and notebooks.

If you want to handle information flow and accessibility in a business environment, there is the option of the Business account. It allow through the Spaces feature to define who can read and contribute to which segment of the total data base of your business. This is run by an admin, not by switching individual shares on and off. New team member - simple to add; outgoing team member - easy to handle, even if you distribute the work load to several team members. 

Even if you think you do not need this today, when you grow it will make sense for sure. And it will take an effort to make the switch when you have to do it, because the work-arounds needed with a bunch of Premium accounts will stand in your way. Just unifying the individual tags into one structure will be a nightmare.

Maybe see it the other way: The business part of the account cost the same as a Premium for each team member, and all team members get a own Premium account for free as well. Great place to work at !

And no, I am getting a bounty from EN when I get you convinced ... I‘v just seen too many overwhelmed IT installations in my life in small and growing businesses that made the whole place perform below the capabilities of its team.

This feature has been suggested by many people in the past and apparently is not deemed important by Evernote's development team. However, it would be a very useful feature in the classroom. With a project-based curriculum, where each project contains the same folder names, it would be a godsend to be able to share one stack per project instead of five folders per project and rely on students to get the folders nestled under the correct project stack.

Just my two cents.

• Level 5*
47 minutes ago, bmishkit said:

This feature has been suggested by many people in the past and apparently is not deemed important by Evernote's development team

Your post was merged to one of those previous requests. Please add your vote at the top.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, bmishkit said:

share one stack per project instead of five folders per project and rely on students to get the folders nestled under the correct project stack.

Try one shared notebook per project, or even better one per class

>where each project contains the same folder names

There's no support for folders; I use tags for note organization

Each project can "contain" the same tag names

• Like 1